Thread: Ghurid campaign Bharat spearmen

Default Ghurid campaign Bharat spearmen

There are only few sources of spearmen for the Ghurids: some mercenary spearmen iaround Kerman, Ahdath spearmen in Gwadar, Bharat spearmen and Sindhi spearmen in Hindustan and Sindh. The only decent spearmen are the armoured Bharat spearmen, except that at around 1210, as the Mongols are about to spring onto the scene, the cities of Hindustan stop producing Bharat spearmen, whether armoured or light. The situation was similar in a previous Ghazni campaign. Was this a conscious decision to make the Mongol threat more serious? Is it perhaps for other gameplay reasons or historical reasons?
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; June 05, 2014 at 11:39 AM.

Default Re: Ghurid campaign Bharat spearmen

It is because Ghurids were very weak on open fields. They are still decent for make war against hindus or to protect their properties in Afghanistan, but against Mongols they don't have the units the khwarezmids have. Their troops were composed by afghans hillmen infantry and turkish mounted archers.
    Ghazni is another piece of stuff. They should have more decent spearmen. We would make their units more accessible for this faction.

matmohair1's Avatar Domesticus

here are a few illustrations of troops belonging to the
    early Mamluk Sultanate of Delhi, reflecting similar arms and armor
    traditions to those of the Ghurids and their neighbors...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

These are interesting units. Have you come across any original illustrations, i.e. from the Middle Ages?

I have the feeling that the spearmen from Hindustan became unavailable when I built barracks in one of my settlements from which a unit of Mutatawwi'a spearmen could be recruited. I should perhaps check the EDB files.
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; June 06, 2014 at 03:44 PM.

When I conquered Lahore from the Ghaznavids as the Ghorids, 3 units of Ghulam spearmen were created there suddenly. Don't know why, but I liked having them in my army, so I just made them recruitable for the Ghorids.