Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Default Missing symbol of Crusader states.

Could you help me with the problem regarding missing symbol of the Crusader states on campaign map? I have windows 10 and I could not find solution to this kind od bug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Missing symbol of the Crusaders States.jpg  

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Missing symbol of Crusader states.

To my mind mind there must be something wrong with your installation. Also the (Pisan?) ship lacks its symbol. I think a re-installation could help.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Default Re: Missing symbol of Crusader states.

The problem still persist after the reinstalattion.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: SSHIP - Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Just to let you guys know, the townhall monument in the building queue cannot be added at the same time as the city council, otherwise it freezes everything and nothing gets built. That is, until you remove one or the other from the queue and build them at completely separate times. It's unfortunate that I didn't notice this for about twenty turns when I could have been building other stuff!

In regards to settlement growth and plagues striking cities, here are some snapshots from my game taking place in 1360 and 1361 AD, four to five years AFTER the Black Death has already ended. I do have a very huge empire, it is true, and perhaps the game is keen to check my economy in order to make things fair for the other factions (since plagues severely lower settlement revenues and income), but nine cities having the plague all at once? For several years straight? That's excessive. I can't remember a single instance, in all my years of playing Europa Barbarorum II or regular Stainless Steel 6.4 or Third Age: Total War, where this has ever happened. And it happens regularly in your sub-mod once your empire gets large enough (50+ settlements). This leads me to believe that it was deliberately scripted, although I could be wrong.

Your population growth mechanics are also out-of-whack and need to be checked, IMO. Great governor traits or not, I have never seen a settlement with an ongoing plague that had a +1.5 population growth like we see below with Palermo, a huge city (admittedly well-developed, but still):

https://i.imgur.com/ZWZShMJ.jpg
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In fact, as we can see by his stats, the governor isn't even that exceptional. He doesn't have maxed-out chivalry or anything. He's an average Joe as far as governors go in my campaign. Mind you, I've only seen this happen with Palermo, but the fact that it has happened at all is bizarre.
    Last edited by Roma_Victrix; January 10, 2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: removing mistake

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

1.5% percent growth at low tax rate during the plague appears a tad high - have you checked for special buildings with either growth or health bonus? Could be an unintended stacking effect of bonuses.

Spreading of plague - once in a while I feel like some old fashioned biological warfare and send infected spies into opponents cities, it's nasty and it's effective. But looking at the settlement names (London, Milan, Palermo) that won't be the case here. On the other hand a script checking for empire size and then checking for settlement ownership to infect the correct one would be humongous: ownership check of every settlement (190?) and then triggering of plague, based on random chance - my guess it's about 1100 lines per faction.

Is it possible to copy battle music from some other mod and copy it to SSHIP? Will it work?

raistlinmajere8's Avatar Ordinarius

I'm having a problem with a CTD that I can repeat. When starting as the Crusader States in the Early Era, double clicking on Asqalan, the Egyptian settlement directly West of Jerusalem, to see its details and troops, etc, the game crashes. I cant seem to repeat this crash by doing the same action on any other city, just that one.

I've also had an English campaign going for about 50 turns before starting this Crusader States one, and I never encountered any issues like that in the English campaign, nor any other CTDs either, for that matter.

EDIT: Well I ignored the city on my opening turn, and tried again in Turn 2, and it doesnt seem to crash now when clicking on Asqalan. First turn jitters lol? Not sure, still think it should be made aware of.
    Last edited by raistlinmajere8; January 09, 2018 at 03:12 AM.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jale82 View Post
    Is it possible to copy battle music from some other mod and copy it to SSHIP? Will it work?
    It should. We haven't touched these files actually. Remember that it will be for personal use. If you want to share it, you need to get the approval of the authors

Quote Originally Posted by raistlinmajere8 View Post
    I'm having a problem with a CTD that I can repeat. When starting as the Crusader States in the Early Era, double clicking on Asqalan, the Egyptian settlement directly West of Jerusalem, to see its details and troops, etc, the game crashes. I cant seem to repeat this crash by doing the same action on any other city, just that one.

I've also had an English campaign going for about 50 turns before starting this Crusader States one, and I never encountered any issues like that in the English campaign, nor any other CTDs either, for that matter.

EDIT: Well I ignored the city on my opening turn, and tried again in Turn 2, and it doesnt seem to crash now when clicking on Asqalan. First turn jitters lol? Not sure, still think it should be made aware of.
    Noted with thanks. I'll check that
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Noted with thanks. I'll check that
    Start with building pic formats. The pics that appear at the bottom of the UI have to be the same size and the correct TGA format. Maybe a special, settlement specific building (info type).

Last few lines of the trace log might help.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the tip Gig
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

The "Landevearnmenn" for the rebel/slave/independent sovereignties faction is a silver surfer on the battlefield. As I suspected, I checked the "battle_models" file in the "unit_models" folder and the "landevearnmenn" texture lacks the slave faction in the list:

Code:
    14 Landevearnmenn
    1 1
    40 unit_models/_units/bgskin/land_lod0.mesh 6400 
    6 norway 
    57 unit_models/_Units/bgskin/textures/Landevearnmenn.texture 
    64 unit_models/_Units/bgskin/textures/Landevearnmenn_normal.texture 
    41 unit_sprites/SS_Heavy_Spearmen_sprite.spr 
    7 denmark 
    4 merc 
    6 norway 
    56 unit_models/_Units/bgskin/textures/shieldwallmen.texture 
    58 unit_models/_Units/bgskin/textures/shieldwallmen_n.texture 0    
    7 denmark 
    4 merc 
    4 None 
    10 MTW2_Spear 0 
    18 MTW2_Spear_primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 0 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002    
    18 Landevearnmenn_ug1
    1 1
    48 unit_models/raaka_units/landvarnarmenn_lod0.mesh 12000 
    6 norway 
    55 unit_models/raaka_units/textures/landvarnarmenn.texture 
    62 unit_models/raaka_units/textures/landvarnarmenn_normal.texture 
    64 unit_models/raaka_units/sprites/norway_landvarnarmenn_sprite.spr 
    7 denmark
    58 unit_models/raaka_units/textures/landvarnarmenn_dk.texture 
    4 merc 
    6 norway 
    52 unit_models/raaka_units/textures/norse_mail2.texture 
    59 unit_models/raaka_units/textures/norse_mail2_normal.texture 0    
    7 denmark 
    55 unit_models/raaka_units/textures/norse_mail2_dk.texture 
    4 merc 
    4 None 
    10 MTW2_Spear 0 
    18 MTW2_Spear_primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 0 
    18 Landevearnmenn_ug2
    1 1 
    52 unit_models/raaka_units/landvarnarmenn_ug1_lod0.mesh 12000 
    6 norway 
    7 denmark 
    58 unit_models/raaka_units/textures/landvarnarmenn_dk.texture
    4 merc 
    6 norway 
    7 denmark 
    55 unit_models/raaka_units/textures/norse_mail2_dk.texture 
    4 merc 
    4 None 
    10 MTW2_Spear 0  
    18 MTW2_Spear_primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 0 

marcp's Avatar Libertus

Heya Lifth. etc, I think I have or am going to have to address a problem with my Med2TW/SSHIP install.

After yet another Win10 update I am again unable to use my MedII game from the org. CD install. I had my Med2 installed outside of program files/X86 files. Now that I only have my Steam version to use I am unsure where to place the program to avoid the issues with X86 etc. I am aware the advice was to use seperate drive to install to but I am running on a laptop and do not have a secondary drive. (I use a WD passport for backups).

Is there any benefit to placing my steam install outside of program files directly onto a space on my C: drive? I am able to run Med2 with SSHIP and it does not appear to be acting strangely but I have only played a few turns just to make sure the mod was installed correctly. Are the issues with the hidden files etc. not easily noticed or go unnoticed till some later point in campaign?

I will have to look into it again but I had read someplace that since Steam made Kingdoms into a DLC instead of a separate game file that some issues prior to that had been solved...I did have to rename my Kingdoms exe. I believe but as stated the game is running. So, if any of this makes sense and there is any advice I am all ears.

Thanks, Mark.

Blog Entries

I'll let the others to help you on that one. I'm not able to as I'm still using Windows 7 and a CD version of the game (yes, I know, old people don't like the change )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    The "Landevearnmenn" for the rebel/slave/independent sovereignties faction is a silver surfer on the battlefield. As I suspected, I checked the "battle_models" file in the "unit_models" folder and the "landevearnmenn" texture lacks the slave faction in the list:
    'slave' should be a standard entry in all models where I am concerned - it saves the trouble editing should you decide the unit is available for the slaves as well. I presume the unit had originally a 'mercenary' attribute (it has the texture for it), the attribute might have been removed and hence the slave unit has no texture.

Simply copy the lines from the merc entry (both sections each model). Change 'merc' to 'slave' and change the line count from 4 to 5. Then increase the faction count by one (the number under the MESH line and under the last SPR line). Make sure to use Notepad or Notepad++ for your editing.

-------------------
    @marcp
    The renaming of the executable is required when playing 'old' mods in steam. CA in their wisdom decided to merge the two executable in Steam, leaving all mods stranded that use the kingdoms executable. The simple procedure is explained here.

Some tips to overcome (not guaranteed) window10 update FUBAR with Steam (if ain't broke - don't fix):

Apply admin and compatibility to the executable (helps with disk version as well)
    Move your game library
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 11, 2018 at 05:24 AM.

marcp's Avatar Libertus

Re Gigantus, I used the guid to rename my executable and have SS/SHIPP up and running, so far so good. As you advised, I am going to play the game as currently installed as it seems that it is working properly, for the time. I also adhere to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra. I was just throwing it out there to see if others have had issues and or advice to give...if I come across any problems I will pass it along or address it etc.

Re Lifth, I recall your stating you are still running a Win7 rig with org.CDs...I envy you in having that setup. I plan to gather the few parts I need to rebuild an old tower PC I have stored. I have an old Vista install disk...unfortunately I never had 7, I'd gone from XP pro to Vista for a time then onto my newest laptop with Win10 standard.

This may be unneeded info but I am not a huge fan of Steam, I prefer Good Old Games but unfortunately do not have Total War games available. I am now glad I had purchased a DVD Total War collection off Amazon, the included games were Rome1+Barbarian Invasion,Med2TW+Kingdom, Empire TW and Napoleon...all for about 18 dollars U.S. Not a bad deal and especially now that Win10 updates have increasingly robbed the owners of older games etc. fromusing their original CDs. It is what it is, just a bit frustrating.

Thanks for the responses guys,

Mark.

Blog Entries

Given the age of the game and subsequently the wear on original disks the steam alternative does come in handy - especially if it is for free! (well, kinda)

My take on Steam: it works just as well as the disk version (one minor quirk I know of, more later) provided you keep the virtual store issue in mind, as you do for the disk installation, and apply the rename guide if you want to play older mods ("kingdoms.exe not found" will be your clue).
    Admin\compatibility solves a number of issues, especially graphic related ones.

As to the quirk: that's a modder issue - steam does not generate new string.bin files for data\text\battle, strat, shared and tooltips. Which means a modder will have to provide the updated string.bin and cannot just provide updated txt files as is the usual practice.

marcp's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    As to the quirk: that's a modder issue - steam does not generate new string.bin files for data\text\battle, strat, shared and tooltips. Which means a modder will have to provide the updated string.bin and cannot just provide updated txt files as is the usual practice.
    Thanks for this info. I was unsure whether this applies to playing the game or just for modders...good to have that answered even though I was lazy and could have researched more. All I know is my Steam version of Med2 (SSHIP) is running swell on my Win10 laptop.

Just for the sake of it, I am not a big fan of Steam mostly for the reason of it's intrusiveness. I just want to buy a game or program and use it without dealing with a network etc. I quite understand that this new standard/practice is all there will be soon I am just resistant to it. For the business I am part of I handle a lot of the network/IT issues "believe it or not" and all the software used is licensed...no more disk no more hard copies etc. I am in my early 40's and I am at odds with the new societal "norms", as a politician would say. I guess it is common, every generation goes through it.

So, thanks for the info and clearing up my understanding of things...it will soon be time to begin a new campaign! My gut feeling is to play Poland this time.

P.S. Also thank you for your having included the links for the install instructions. I had used the "creating a world" thread/post instructions when I switched over to the Steam install. It is kind of you to go through making a post with links etc. for those in need...all too often I see question threads that kind of rub me wrong in that if people would read the post for mods etc. they would have been given the info needed at hand or have been provided links to further instructions etc. I try to search around before creating new threads as I tend to figure I am not the only one who has had a particular issue. At any rate you are are to be commended, as well as many persons of this commuinity , for being patient and helpful to the new comer and the tech challenged.

+Rep

Mark.
    Last edited by marcp; January 12, 2018 at 02:17 PM.

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

PS: Steam's intrusiveness can be switched off - simply go off line (top left of steam window: steam\go offline), you can still play single player mode.

raistlinmajere8's Avatar Ordinarius

So that issue I was having earlier with CTD's happening when I click on a city has reappeared, and its not just limited to that settlement from my previous post. After playing around a lot, I've had it happen all over the world playing as several separate factions. Sometimes it happens right at the start of the campaign, sometimes it happens when I try and click on a settlement thats under siege, sometimes it happens when I click on a settlement I just conquered, etc. I've seen this particular CTD happen at least 10 times now across many factions and in many cities throughout the map.

There's definitely something wrong somewhere, not sure what however. I have had zero other issues, so I'm not really sure thats its a false install on my end.