Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] Campaign Map

Icon14 [Preview] Campaign Map

This should give a small overview of the campaign- or stratmap of SSHIP.
    We are using new campaign textures (mostly from TATW), new sea textures, new ships, new trade routes, new heightmapping, new resource models(not yet finished), new city models, etc.

Some more impressions:

England:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

France:

HRE:

Italia:

Scandinavia:

Iberia:

Byzantium:

Cumania:

Rus:

Egypt:

Syria:

If you have any further suggestions or want to give some feedback concerning those features, feel free to tell them here. We're especially interested in new ideas for realistic models of resources.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; May 11, 2023 at 01:16 AM.

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: S.S.H.I.P. Campaign Map Preview

Looks good dude +rep Have you thought about using elevated lakes or are you going to keep them as they are?

Quote Originally Posted by Andytheplatypus View Post
    Looks good dude +rep Have you thought about using elevated lakes or are you going to keep them as they are?
    Like the lake by Verona and the ones in Anatolia? Is elevated lake in mapping alot different than just lake in elevated terrain? I can't remember seeing them in any mods I've played recently.

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Andytheplatypus View Post
    Thanks- I hadn't seen that before. Some of the strat map stuff is very interesting particularly the tree and farm models that change with season. Some of the elevated lakes look very good- not so much some of the others. I'll let MWY or Lifthrasir comment on the rest as they've done the map work so far.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Actually I saw that the thread mentioned by Andytheplatypus last week. But I think it required a bit of work on the map and its textures. As we talked also about correcting Flemmish and Dutch coasts, I'll see what I can do at that time.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Default Re: [Preview] SSHIP - Campaign Map

Although I appreciate the effort made to use the Greek transliterations for Byzantine cities, I don't feel that it is necessary. Amongst modern Anglosphere Byzantinists, it is generally better to use the conventional Anglicizations for well-known locations throughout the Empire. Plus, the names are already Latinized anyways, so I feel that we've already killed the "authenticity", and therefore have made it a moot point. Anyways, a few examples of these "conventional Anglicizations", that I think should be used:

Κωνσταντινούπολις -> Konstantinoupolis -> Constantinople
    Aδριανούπολις -> Adrianopolis -> Adrianople
    Θεσσαλονίκη -> Thessaloniki -> Thessalonica
    Τραπεζοῦς -> Trapezous -> Trebizond
    Νίκαια -> Nikaia -> Nicaea

Just my $.02

Those names are actually only in my current version, they're not included in the mod yet. I think I will include them as an optional file. I would love to use authentic names for the cities, but the game can't handle those letters. So the latinized names are the most authentic ones we can get. And I think they still bring a bit of an individual touch to each region on the map.

If historicity is important to you, then Pisa should not control Florence. Actually Pisa never controlled Florence during his whole history.
    On the other hand, Pisa should control Corsica and actually controlled part of Sardinia too.
    By making Florence rebel and giving Ajaccio to Pisa it will be much more historically correct
    Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

You're right invicta, and we actually changed that for the upcoming release testwise. Although Pisa will perhaps start with one settlement only, since Ajaccio is removed in this mod and the regions of corsica and sardinia are united.

I like the Latinized names as it gives some flavour and in historical documents the names aren't always the same much less in common usage so I'm not sure there is any 100% correct answer in many cases.

Per Pisa controlling Florence we did that because we weren't sure 1 region faction was viable but after many test campaigns it seems such factions can work so we already will make Florence independent and may well make other changes such as with Novgorod, Serbia, and Portugal.

MatVego's Avatar Civis

Has anyone seen this thread: The Stainless Steel Names Overhaul Project (SSNOP)

Aancillaries for Polish generals:

Szlachta of Krakow -> Szlachcic z Krakowa
    Duke of Poznań -> Książę Poznania
    {idearmad_stettin} Emir of Silesia -> Władca Śląska ?
    {odearmad_stettin} Strategos of Silesia -> Strateg ze Śląska ?

But it I still need to check more Polish ancillaries, because it's a possible mistake in the allocation of titles and name of regions.

Regions and Settlements:
    Silesia-> Śląsk
    Pomerania -> Pomorze
    Stetin -> Szczecin
    Last edited by MatVego; June 11, 2014 at 03:15 PM.
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither."
    - Benjamin Franclin (1706-1790)
    "The best fortress which a prince can possess is the affection of his people."
    -
    Niccolò Machiavelli (1469-1527)
    "A Nation That Does Not Respect His Past, Does Not Deserve Respect Of The Present And Has No Right To The Future."
    -Józef Piłsudski (1867-1935)

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

SSNOP was made by Fair Prince as well. It is planned to use it for SSHIP soon or later.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

I guess the issue I have is that many of the other factions get seem to get their own indigenous spellings for locations, while others don't. In the linked picture for Byzantium, I see "Constantinopolis" - not a Greek transliteration, but a Latinized term, yet for Egypt, I see Dumyat, which is an Arabic transliteration for what many of us would call the city of Damietta.

If you're not going to go for common Anglicizations (as I had suggested before), but rather regionalized spellings, why would Constantinople not be Konstantinoupolis? Adrianople not be Adrianoupolis? Nicaea not be Nikaia?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambarenya View Post
    If you're not going to go for common Anglicizations (as I had suggested before), but rather regionalized spellings, why would Constantinople not be Konstantinoupolis? Adrianople not be Adrianoupolis? Nicaea not be Nikaia?
    Speaking for myself I'd by fine with regionalized spellings as well but I have no idea what the regionalized spelling for quite a few names would be. In the end something we can apply mostly consistently would be the goal. This was just the first run through for changing the names and I don't think anyone on the team is a language hobbyist.

Alright. If you want to give feedback, try to be constructive, not complaining please. I've done my best to implement regional spellings for each region, if you have more accurate names please give me sources and I'll implement them.

For constaninople, the german wiki says:
    ancient greek: Konstantinoúpolis
    in historical context: Constantinopolis

Since ancient greek wasn't used anymore, I figured I'd name it Constantinopolis. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I know wiki isn't the best source, but if you're adjusting names for 200 regions.. well it's enough most of the time.

And again, we will have both regionalized spelling and common Anglicizations.

Efstratios's Avatar Libertus
    Where my entity is...in the deepest caverns of Khazad-dûm!

In my opinion,you should name the regions according to the dominant culture of that time (which is more historical I think?). That way,some regions/cities/castles' names in Asia Minor will be of Greek origin,while others will be Turkish ones. I did some research and I found an outstanding mod that changes the name of Constantinople to Istanbul,should the Seljuk Turks capture it. You could do someting similar. Say that the Seljuk Turks conquer Greece,half-or all of it's cities' names should be changed to the ones of Turkish origin.

And it's a pretty good idea to have Standard English/Latin/Cultural names(altough the last one seems a bit difficult). I think that city re-naming while playing the game is possible (since they did that with mods),so in addition,why not re-name every single city you conquer according to your culture? If I play with the Mighty English and conquer France,I should have that option. Again,I am not a skilled mod developer/or something and I might sound stupid,but hey that's just my opinion and 5 cents.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

What a beautiful map....SSHIP has so much potential. Great job!!

Wow! Looks great! I noticed that Hamburg is now included. Which region did you have to ax to include Hamburg? Erfurt? I am also curious if there have been any changes made to the regions in the Low Lands.

Great mod,the faction select menu make me very impressed

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast