Thread: My Research on the Makedonian Forces of the Antigonid Kingdom

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Default My Research on the Makedonian Forces of the Antigonid Kingdom

I done this research for my mod way back when the game was announced. It's every piece of literary evidence I could find on this period of the Makedonian army (Antigonid Kingdom period), and I've referenced everything (tried to, point out if I haven't somewhere). I thought it'd be selfish for me to keep this to myself, because it'd be unfair on less fortunate people that don't have access to this material, so I'm sharing it with TWC. I've removed most personal notes and comments, so it's purely a collection of references. Enjoy reading

Anyone is allowed to use this work at their own will (eg. for a mod, or something), just please acknowledge that you've done so (credit is a nice thing)
    The Cavalry and Officers

- somatophylakes ("meaning bodyguards") were men that assisted the king maintain and run the army. There was 7 (later 8) during Alexander's time, but the Antigonid Kingdom may have employed 10 (this is strictly speculation, but Livy 34.52.5 mentions 10 clipea of silver at Flamininus’ triumph in Rome, perhaps a symbol of their high rank, or perhaps captured shields of Antigonid hypaspistai equipped with similar shields to Alexander's argyraspides, earlier titled hypaspistai). Their signature weapon was the xyston (Curtius 7.1.18) (in Alexander's era, but it's unclear if this still existed in the Antigonid period) and perhaps a silver gilded shield (as stated before, just speculation).

- the basilikoi hypaspistai (meaning "royal shield-bearers") role is unclear in the Antigonid forces, but the title seems to be a lower rank of staff officers, perhaps acting as assistants to the higher ranking somatophylakes. They did accompany the basileus occasionally (Polybius 5.27.3) and seemed to be close to him, often acting as messengers (Polybius 18.33.2), so there must have been a considerable amount of them, maybe not enough for a field unit, furthermore there never was clear accounts of them on the field as a unit. They may have been equipped with a silver gilded shield (as stated in my previous point) as a badge of their rank.

- the cavalry were given crown lands by the basileus, and they would offer military service and supply their own horse (Arrian Anabasis Alexandri 3.19.5), furnishing and equipment for their selves and the groom who accompanied him, from the resources of his estate. It seems to have been the responsibility of the state (at least in Alexander's time) to provide a remount for the cavalry if one died in action (Curtius 7.1.15). It is possible that Philip V had reformed the recruitment of the cavalry (see conscription diagramma of Philip V), admitting individuals into the arm through horse inspections (horses previously rejected being branded on the mouth with a kerkeion). "a thousand drachmas for each horse" is mentioned; perhaps it's compensation from the state to the individual if their horse passed inspection for service (therefore, the stated owned the horse), or perhaps it's the individual paying compensation to the state to allow him to serve in the cavalry. This reform by Philip V does sound likely; the former system of service in return for land inevitably breaks down over time (eg. division of land from multiple son's inheritance), and it would explain how Philip V was able to increase the number of serving cavalry over threefold (see Sekunda 2010 & 2012).

- The cavalry was split into 2 distinct unit types, both Livy (42.58.6-9, 42.66.5, 44.42.2-3) and Polybius (4.37.7, 4.67.6) confirms this. Livy specifies the difference between "royal cavalry" (basilikoi hippeis) and the "sacred squadron" (hiera ilai) (42.58.6-9), while Polybius states that half the cavalry (400) were "about the Court" (4.67.6), but not further specifying what the other half was titled. Polybius describes the elite Ptolemaic cavalry in the same way (5.65.5), so it may be safe to conclude that the cavalry "about the Court" are the "sacred squadron" described by Livy, or perhaps the cavalry "about the Court" is a specific title given to an elite entity, and the "sacred squadron" being merely a component of it. Furthermore, Alexander's "royal squadron" (basilikoi ilai) of hetairoi also numbered 400 horses at the start of his reign (although later in his campaign, Alexander's hetairoi were reduced to 300 horses).

- There doesn't seem to be evidence that an organised military unit of hetairoi continued to be in use during Antigonid Makedonia, like Alexander's elite cavalry. It is likely that one of the units (mentioned in my previous point) was called hetairoi by the Makedonians, but Polybius was Greek, and he probably would had stated if they were. Hetairoi/philoi may have only continued as an honorific title, as the courtiers and close friends of the king in the Antigonid Kingdom. As stated before, Polybius' cavalry "about the Court" could be the same entity as Livy's "sacred squadrons", as Livy described these units accompanying the king in and out of the battle (44.42.4-3), and the basileus taking position between the agema peltastai and the "sacred squadron" in battle (Livy 42.58.9). There was a letter sent to King Demetrios II in 234/3 by a local citizen, Philoxenos: "from the hetairoi of the chiliarchia of Philippos"; but the chiliarchia was an infantry formation in Makedonian military history (inherited during Achaemenid rule), and their cavalry forces were never recorder to be near 1,000 men (a chiliarchia) at the time of this letter (the highest being 800 (Polybius 4.37.7)).

- Apparently Makedonian cavalry (Hellenistic cavalry in general, actually) only started to use shields after the Celtic incursions (beginning 279 BCE).

- The cavalry reached a maximum strength of 800 horses (Polybius 4.37.7), but was raised to 3,000 during the 3rd Makedonian War (Livy 42.51.9).

The Infantry

- The regular soldiers of the army are referred to as chalkaspides (Polybius 2.66.5), hoplitai (Polybius 4.67.6, 4.69.4, Asclepiodotus Tacticus 1.2), phalangites, pezhetairoi (in Alexander's time at least, Arrian Alexander's Anabasis), and sarissaphoroi. They were equipped with a sarissa, a "small dagger" (Plutarch Aemilius 20.10) (Military Decree of Amphipolis mentions a makhaira), a shield, knemides (greaves), and a helmet. Body armour in the form of a kotthybos was issued to all regulars of the phalanx except the hegemons (officers and men of the front rank, perhaps the lochagoi), which instead wore a thorax and hemithorakion (cuirass and semi-cuirass respectively) (see Military Decree of Amphipolis for these regulations). During the early Antigonid Kingdom they could be mustered to a strength of 10,000, by the end of the 3rd C they could consist of 16,000 men (done also by lowering the age requirement to 15 for the crisis), and by the end of Antigonid Makedonia they reached a strength of 21,000 men. The age requirement for these men may have been 22 (men up to the age of 22 seemed to have only trained with bow and javelin at the city's gymnasiarchos).

- the leukaspides are mentioned by Livy as fighting in a phalanx at the battle of Pydna (44.41.1-2), and Plutarch mentions Thracians in the exact same position as Livy's leukaspides, but says they were equipped with rhomphaias, white thureoi and greaves, and wearing black tunics (Plutarch Aemilius Paulus 18.2). Diodorus mentions 1,200 wagons filled with "rough" white shields, and 1,200 wagons filled with bronze shields at the battle's triumph (31.8.10); in Plutarch's account, he mentions Thracian shields, instead of "rough" white shields (Plutarch Aemilius Paulus 32).

- The elite infantry were the peltastai (also called caetrati by Livy 42.51). They were equipped with a sarissa (Plutarch Aemilius 19.1, also mentions them fighting in a phalanx) (shorter than that of the phalanx measuring only 12ft (Aelian 12), or they may have been equipped with a long spear (Asclepiodotus 1.2)), a sword (described as a "small encheiridia" (Plutarch Aemilius 20.5)), a shield, and a helmet. No reference to greaves or cuirass. They could be mustered to a full size of 3,000 men, and this figure was sustained throughout Antigonid Makedonia (Livy 42.51.4-5, Polybius 4.29.1). The max age limit was 35 years old (see conscription diagramma of Philip V). The "best" recruits (most likely the wealthier and better educated citizens, ie. euporoteroi) were recruited into the peltastai, the rest into the regular phalanx.

- The agema (perhaps also called basilika syntagma, and nicknamed the "Conquerors" by Livy 43.19.11) were an elite contingent in the peltastai (the basileus taking position between the agema peltastai and the "sacred squadron" in battle (Livy 42.58.9)). A difference in their equipment is not specified except that they had gilded weapons and wore crimson-dyed tunics (Plutarch Aemilius 18.3). The unit consisted of 2,000 troops throughout the time of the Antigonid Kingdom (Livy 42.51.4-5). This unit was comprised of the veterans of the peltastai (Livy 42.51.4-5, Plutarch Aemilius18.3), with a max age limit of 45 (originally, but rose to 50 during the late Kingdom (see conscription diagramma of Philip V)).

- total strength of the peltastai regiment (including the elite contingent of agema) was always 5,000, and it's clear that when fewer men are mentioned in the texts (Polybius 2.65, 4.67.4, Livy 33.4.4-5, 44.32.6, Plutarch Aemilius 16.1) that the agema served as the only peltastai in the campaign, or that the agema was excluded from the campaign, and "the other peltastai" were the only ones included (numbers of 2,000 and 3,000 peltastai given on these occasions, respectively).

- the levy was mustered to a single location before individual units were formed from them, opposed to Alexander's method of recruiting region based regiments of the phalanx.

- men were registered to a city, where they were administered for liability of military service, trained, and levied.

- men younger than the age requirement of 20 for military service (the epheboi), could be mustered in defense of the nation (not for campaigns outside national borders). This was usually only men of ages 18 and 19, but in a crisis, it could be as low as 15.

The Details of Arms, Armour, Equipment and Clothing

- Sarrisa; in Alexander's time measuring 15-18ft (Theophrastus Historia Plantarum 3.12.1-2), Polybius (18.29.2) states an average of 22ft in his time, although he says was originally 26ft. The sarrisa may have been lengthened during the Diadokhoi wars, because the phalanx would loose a lot of its effectiveness if out-reached. Polybius (18.29.3-4) also says 2/7 of the length of the sarissa was placed behind the wielder, and the other 5/7 protruding in front, and that it was held with both hands (Plutarch Aemilius 20.4).

- Makedonian shields; 2 different sizes have been identified, the one believed to be relevant to the phalanx is ~74cm in diameter, Reinach making this connection and calling it the chalkaspis. The second is referred to as a pelte, measuring ~66cm in diameter, which is believed to have been used by the elite peltastai.

- Cavalry shields; 2 popular forms existed in Hellenic cavalry forces, both circular and 1 metre in diameter, wooden, and sometimes covered in leather or felt. 1st was reinforced with a large metallic umbo in the centre. 2nd was reinforced by a "barleycorn"-shaped umbo over a spina centered across the front (like that depicted on the Aemilius Paullus Monument at Delphi). Latter seems to only have become popular during the 2nd C.

- Helmets; Alexander regularly distributed pilos helmets (aka. konos or lakonian) during the last few years of his reign, and seems to have been the norm by the end of the 3rd C (see Military Decree of Amphipolis).

- Kotthybos; unsure exactly what this is, but probably a light armour constructed from linen and/or leather; may translate to "Egyptian armour/girdle"?
    There's more I definitely need to add, especially in the arms and armour section, so hopefully I'll get around to that soon.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; June 03, 2014 at 03:24 AM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Default Re: My Research on the Makedonian Forces of the Antigonid Kingdom

- the leukaspides are mentioned by Livy as fighting in a phalanx at the battle of Pydna (44.41.1-2), and Plutarch mentions Thracians in the exact same position as Livy's leukaspides, but says they were equipped with rhomphaias, white thureoi and greaves, and wearing black tunics (Plutarch Aemilius Paulus 18.2). Diodorus mentions 1,200 wagons filled with "rough" white shields, and 1,200 wagons filled with bronze shields at the battle's triumph (31.8.10); in Plutarch's account, he mentions Thracian shields, instead of "rough" white shields (Plutarch Aemilius Paulus 32).

So do you think the white shield brigade was a macedonian phalanx-type unit or a thureophoroi-type unit ?
    It'd be quite interesting indeed if the Macedonian army had indeed 3 types of regular (i.e. not mercenaries, militias, etc) line infantry: the Peltastai brigade, the Chakalspides and the Leukaspides. That would show that hellenistic (more specifically here Macedonian) warfare was more advanced than what is often assumed (a huge half-useless body of phalanx). And that is not even taking into account the various types of skirmishing infantry and obviously the various types of cavalries.

Noice question

I don't believe the Leukaspides were equipped in the Makedonian fashion at all, because neither account specifies it. Livy says they formed some type of phalanx, but a phalanx is just a battle line, not specific to hoplite or pikemen. Plautus' account however, does describe the arms they use, and doesn't contradict Livy at all (because Livy doesn't say they're ethnically Makedonian, and Plautus doesn't say that they fought like skirmishers or DIDN'T form a phalanx) so I think both accounts are correct, it's just the way you choose to interpret them to make any sense . So I think what we're looking at is (perhaps) a disciplined Thyreophoroi unit of Thracians regularly under Makedonian pay (because they do appear more often than once), but we couldn't call them Thorakitai because of the lack of armour (excluding helmet and greaves). Given the constant pressure from Rome, it's no wonder that Makedonia recruited a permanent (or somewhat permanent) force of foreigners because they definitely would have been lacking in their own manpower at that point... although it could be comprised of Thracians living on Makedonian soil... just a thought

Also, Diodorus does strangely call the white shields "rough", in contrast to the bronze shields which he gives no such description. We know the bronze shields are for the pike phalanx, and from the information supplied by Plautus it lets us make the connection of what Diodorus described the white shields like this Thracian thyreos were usually covered in felt, linen or leather.

Hope that answered your question
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; June 03, 2014 at 05:14 AM.

Good points, thank you for the answer. That's pretty much what I had in mind too.
    Coincidentally, I know of one paper that assumed the Leukaspides were just another division of the macedonian phalanx and from there "measured" the front of the macedonian army at Pydna (and other similar battles) and then inferred the front of the roman army, more specifically tried to give a measure of the intervals between the Maniples.
    I wonder how much it messes up his results. I think he might be missing as much as 500m worth of frontage. It would depends on the overall depth and individual spacing of the white-shields.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to comment on that without reading the paper D:

Good research.

Another name for the Peltasts was Targeteer which comes from Livy and Aelian's Manual of Hellenistic Military Tactics. And
    another name for the Chalkaspides was Brazen shields by Polybious.

Researching coins from Philip V and Perseus; I've come up with some Konos helmets. There are a few examples of coins with what looks to be
    transverse crests in the Lakonian fashion.

I have also added pics of Helmets and shield examples from Philip V and Perseus' time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Konos1.JPG   Konos2.JPG   Philip V of Macedon coin.JPG   Chalkaspides Shield.jpg   Aemilius Paulus Monument  Cavalry shield 1.JPG  

Aemilius Paulus Monument  Cavalry shield 2.JPG   Aemilius Paulus Monument.JPG   Late Hellenistic Attic.JPG   Late Hellenistic Attic2.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to comment on that without reading the paper D:
    hehe yes sorry I was just thinking out loud here.
    Anyway, that's the paper: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...D-REPUBLIC.pdf
    still an interesting read with some data on some hellenistic order of battle so that's not too off topic.

Another name for the Peltasts was Targeteer which comes from Livy and Aelian's Manual of Hellenistic Military Tactics.
    Well technically targeteer is just one (obsolete) way to translate Peltast into english. An 18th or 19th century audience would have understood better I guess. My understanding is that the targe or target was a shield, not too dissimilar to a macedonian Pelta, and the person carrying it was a Targeteer. Livy calls them Caetrati for the same reason some englishmen in the 18th/19th century called them targeteer. A caetra and a targe were almost, but not quite, the same thing as the original macedonian shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicatores View Post
    Good research.

Another name for the Peltasts was Targeteer which comes from Livy and Aelian's Manual of Hellenistic Military Tactics. And
    another name for the Chalkaspides was Brazen shields by Polybious.

Researching coins from Philip V and Perseus; I've come up with some Konos helmets. There are a few examples of coins with what looks to be
    transverse crests in the Lakonian fashion.

I have also added pics of Helmets and shield examples from Philip V and Perseus' time.
    Nice pictures, very interesting.

But about the name "brazen shields", that's what chalkaspides means, but people often interpret it as either brazen or bronze shields; I believe brazen is used to describe brass (specifically copped-zinc alloy), not bronze (generic name for copper + zinc, arsenic, or tin alloy)?
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; June 04, 2014 at 09:53 AM.

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

I disagree on the leukaspides part Splenyi.
    For me it is more practical to refer to 2 regiments of the phalanx with the colour of their shield (chalcaspides, leucaspides) in order to differentiated them and moreover Plutarch in Cleomenes mentions:

After Antigonus had taken Tegea by siege, and had surprised Orchomenus and Mantineia, Cleomenes, now reduced to the narrow confines of Laconia, set free those of the Helots who could pay down five Attic minas (thereby raising a sum of five hundred talents), armed two thousand of them in Macedonian fashion as an offset to the white-shields (λευκάσπισιν) of Antigonus, and planned an undertaking which was great and entirely unexpected.
    δισχιλίους δὲ προσκαθοπλίσας Μακεδονικῶς ἀντίταγμα τοῖς παρ᾽ Ἀντιγόνου λευκάσπισιν, ἔργον ἐπὶ νοῦν βάλλεται μέγα καὶ πᾶσιν ἀπροσδόκητον.
    This passage makes the Leucaspides as a regiment of the macedonian pike phalanx more likely.

However there is a possibility that leucaspides may refer to 2 different regiments with white shields hence their ambiguous nature in the passages perhaps
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    I disagree on the leukaspides part Splenyi.
    For me it is more practical to refer to 2 regiments of the phalanx with the colour of their shield (chalcaspides, leucaspides) in order to differentiated them and moreover Plutarch in Cleomenes mentions:
    Yes there's definitely many opinions on this topic, which is why I didn't post mine in the OP, just the information regarding it .

About Cleomenes' new units, I did miss this out in the OP accidentally, but: there's no reason to assume that the Antigonid leukaspides mentioned are ethnic Makedonians, or that they were armed in the Makedonian fashion themselves. Furthermore, and perhaps this is a bit "out there", there were 1,600 Illyrians in the Antigonid forces, whom were traditionally equipped with white thyreoi. Maybe this is the unit Cleomenes was hoping to counter, as it seems odd for Spartans to trust Helots in the phalanx (though given the circumstances it might be an exception), while the Spartans did not field any thyreophoroi at this time either. So I guess both sides are plausible I'll add these references to the OP soon.

EDIT: I do have one more thing to add actually. Why would the Hellenes name this unit leukaspides if it was a pike unit? It's an honest question, because I don't know the answer. Is there evidence of them painting their shields white? If they had silver, iron or steel shields ("white" metals), wouldn't they name them accordingly?
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; June 04, 2014 at 08:30 PM.

The passage is quite clear actually in Greek "he armed them in the Macedonian manner in order to oppose Antigonos' Whiteshields " which leaves little room for doubt regarding their origin and function and by the seer fact that we know for sure that Cleomenes copied the Macedonian phalanx. Furthermore the nature of the other Macedonian infantrymen wasn't that distinct from the rest of the Greek ways.

As for your question about the pike unit, we know for sure that the Macedonian army used terms referring to the impression of the colour of the shield even before Antigonid army, therefore the name "whiteshield" may refer to the impression the shield had for the observer who made the accounts. It could have been whitish silver or painted white but we can only speculate.
    Adding to that we also know that the Greeks used to name the units according to the type of shield they were using and not their function therefore you have accounts of hoplites (hoplon), peltasts (pelte), chalcaspidae (bronze shield), chrysaspidae (golden shields) or argyraspidae (silver shields). A peltast could have been a light armoured skirmisher or later a heavily armoured special forces infantry man etc.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

The passage is quite clear actually in Greek "he armed them in the Macedonian manner in order to oppose Antigonos' Whiteshields " which leaves little room for doubt regarding their origin and function and by the seer fact that we know for sure that Cleomenes copied the Macedonian phalanx. Furthermore the nature of the other Macedonian infantrymen wasn't that distinct from the rest of the Greek ways.

As for your question about the pike unit, we know for sure that the Macedonian army used terms referring to the impression of the colour of the shield even before Antigonid army, therefore the name "whiteshield" may refer to the impression the shield had for the observer who made the accounts. It could have been whitish silver or painted white but we can only speculate.
    Yes you make good points, but it doesn't explain the accounts at Pydna

Adding to that we also know that the Greeks used to name the units according to the type of shield they were using and not their function therefore you have accounts of hoplites (hoplon), peltasts (pelte), chalcaspidae (bronze shield), chrysaspidae (golden shields) or argyraspidae (silver shields). A peltast could have been a light armoured skirmisher or later a heavily armoured special forces infantry man etc.
    Yes very true. You'd think that if the leukaspides were actually a form of thyreophoroi, that they'd be specified as exactly that. But the fact that leukaspides are never referred to as pikemen, or thyreophoroi for that matter directly, it only confuses the situation. Whenever the leukaspides are referenced, there's no reference to their arms, which is unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    Yes you make good points, but it doesn't explain the accounts at Pydna
    Indeed that's why the term could be open to interpretation.
    IMHO it may had referred to 2 different units.

Yes very true. You'd think that if the leukaspides were actually a form of thyreophoroi, that they'd be specified as exactly that. But the fact that leukaspides are never referred to as pikemen, or thyreophoroi for that matter directly, it only confuses the situation. Whenever the leukaspides are referenced, there's no reference to their arms, which is unfortunate.
    I believe this is a generalized problem with a number of ancient accounts. They are describing things their own way and with their contemporaries in mind

Anyway this is our team's (TWH unit pack) impression for leucaspides

Luís de Camões

Indeed that's why the term could be open to interpretation.
    IMHO it may had referred to 2 different units.
    Yes that's a good conclusion. There's also the Leukaspides from Taras that aren't described in much detail either >.<

Anyway this is our team's (TWH unit pack) impression for leucaspides
    Very nice who's the artist for the shield decor? They're especially impressive. Can you also provide a link to the mod?

I asked il Patta from CAC about the kotthybos mentioned in the Military Decree of Amphipolis, and here's his reply:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13881926
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by il Pitta View Post
    About the Kotthybos, is a term reconducted to kossumbos , and identified as anAbdominal protection realized in leather or fabric
    (cfr. G. Calcani. Cavalieri di bronzo, Roma 1989, reporting Moretti -Iscrizioni storiche ellenistiche, p. 113, note 1)

Representation of Kotthyboshave been identified in the tombs of Judgement of Mieza, the tomb of the Aigéai warrior, and the tomb of Lyson anf Kallikles of Mieza (cfr. M.B. Hatzopoulos, L'organisation de l'armee macedonienne sous les Antigonides, pp.81-82)

Actually I think that the meaning reported by Moretti is vague and very prone to various interpretations.
    As I can see looking briefly at the tombs reported by Hatzopoulos is simply something that reminds me quite a lot simply an hellenistic Linothorax, even if with the prevalence of protective area on the abdominal region and partially lacking on the upper chest :

Tomb of Judgment:

Tomb of Lyson and Kallikles

Maybe, being the term Linothorakes quite unusual and uncommon (actually we had a "Linothoriktos" used by Homer that means more or less "Linen-chested" used for Ajax in the Iliadm I think, and some "oi de thorakes oi linoi" -brestplates in linen"), Kotthybos is just a term to define a Linothorax, or maybe a SPECIFIC kind of Linothorax: hellenistic Linothorakes shown to have a big length difference between the two orders of pteryges, with the second order much more longer (I assume to defend better the legs, lacking the panoply of the common pezeteri of aspis, and maybe "Kotthybos" is a term that define this SPECIFIC kind of Linothorax.

Anybody interested by this topic will definitely be interested in reading that:
    http://fr.scribd.com/doc/29391428/Ar...9-BC-to-146-BC
    By Duncan Head.
    It's full of data on the most likely army composition of all the Diadochoi and various related states. I'm reading it now, and it is really really good. For the record, the author supports the theory of the white shield as a division of the phalanx. He also says that it seems the Leukaspides were not called upon as often as the Chalcaspides. He suggests they may have been levied among the older age classes whereas, the Chalcaspides would have been recruited from the younger ones.

I've had that link for a year or two now, I'll add it to me Useful Websites thread. I've got Scribd, but not that link specifically, that same user who uploaded Head's book also uploaded a heap of other great books, check them out

I saw saw that! so much stuff to read though.
    In the meantime, silly question of the day: what exact type of shield did Peltasts (to be clear I mean the heavy ones from Hellenistic armies) carry ?
    Obvious answer would be a pelte.(duh) But it sounds to me that pelte was just one more generic word for shield and doesn't say much about the size, shape and the grip used to hold it.
    So were they using
    1/ a big ol' aspis (round, >90cm diameter, with a porpax/antilabe combination)
    2/ a variant of the aspis, with a simple grip and no rim (that'd make it a bit smaller and significantly lighter)
    3/ roughly the same shield as the rest of the phalanx (round, 60-75cm,but without the shoulder sling and possibly instead a simple grip or double grip like on the aspis)
    4/ a thureos (though if they indeed did carry that one, that would probably be only toward the end of the period and probably not so much in the antigonid army)
    5/ something else ?

Well the fashion in which Hellenes names their units was never simple, and sometimes very confusing to us now. I'll give you some facts about the Peltastai and their shields, and I believe there is a right answer for this question, even though some might disagree

- we know that the peltastai used a shorter sarissa than the regular chalkaspides (or a long spear) and fought in a phalanx (Plutarch Aemilius 19.1; Aelian 12; Asclepiodotus 1.2). Fighting with a two-handed spear/sarissa is impossible while wielding a shield with a broad rim (like the hoplon). We also know that the peltastai (or perhaps just the elite contingent of agema? I'll have to check) would perform assaults during a siege on the enemy walls, and in these situations a short sarissa (or long spear) would be rather useless, so it's likely they were reequipped for these particular operations (though if they changed their shields is uncertain).

- there is no evidence of a rimless aspis in Hellas or the surrounding areas, though I know they did exist in Apulia, Southern Italy (not used by the Hellenes there, but by the native Apulians. It's also uncertain what the shield was made of, so I'm probably wrong saying that a rimless hoplon existed in southern Italy ). I think we can rule this option out.

- there's a theory put forward by Reinach that there were 2 variants of the Makedonian pelte. #1 was about 74cm in diameter, which he calls the "chalkaspis", and assigns their usage to the chalkaspides (regular phalanx). #2 is about 66cm in diameter, which he calls the pelte, and he believed was used by the peltastai and agema. 3 shields have been found measuring 74cm in diameter, and 2 have been found at 66cm in diameter. The uniform shape of these shields, along with work done by some historians, suggests that these shields were state-manufactured and owned, which makes this view of the 2 different pelte shields plausible Livy also calls these troops Caetrati, "caetra-bearers", a small round shield, and he also calls the Iberian light troops the same name.

- Hellenic troops equipped with a thyreos were either called hoplitia, or thyreophoroi, a title that no contemporary author assigned to them. I think it's safe to rule this one out The Makedonian kingdom relied on Thracians, Illyrians, and Pannonians for their thyreophoroi, I don't think there was enough reason for them to create their own citizen unit, especially not from the veterans and high class of citizens.

So I believe they were commonly issued with the smaller pelte (about 66cm), though I wouldn't have the slightest clue if they were reequipped with a larger, heavier shield (like the hoplon/argive aspis) for siege assaults or other situations when their regular equipment wouldn't be suitable (the peltastai were also commonly used in mountain warfare/hilly terrain where the regular phalanx would crumble). I suppose this is likely though, as there seems to be a general consensus that Alexander done this with his hypaspistai. We should remember to treat Alexander's army, and the 3rd C BCE Antigonid forces separately though, they were by no means the same... That's all I've got
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; June 17, 2014 at 07:07 AM.

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

I hope you won´t mind me reviving this ancient thread, but I would like to add my 2 cents concerning the leukaspides.

As far as I know, Plutarch´s Cleomenes is the only surviving account of the Leukaspides which could be taken to suggest they were a phalanx unit.

I have several ideas concerning this, and all of them have to do with Plutarch´s sources:

-First of all, and this is rather simple, it´s possible that Plutarch made a mistake when writing this or had conflicting sources and decided on the one which he trusted more,
    as there was quite some time between him writing his book and the death of Cleomenes.

-His source could have meant that Cleomenes armed his Helots in the way of the Whiteshields to counter the Macedonian regiment,
    with Plutarch taking the Macedonian as a way of armament rather than the kingdom.

-It could also have said that the white shields were on this occasion equipped as Phalangites, suggesting that they were armed according to situation.

-There´s also the possibility that his source was plainly wrong, who knows how much time had passed since this particular account had been written.
    Or his source could have been semantically corrupted during the process of copying it.

-Another possibility is that Plutarch´s account itself had been corrupted this way.

Since this is the only account of the Leukaspides being equipped in the Macedonian manner,
    I tend to agree with the Thyreophoroi school of thought.

Though of course, all of these objections could also apply to the other accounts on the Leukaspides,
    so I do allow myself the benefit of the doubt.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me