Thread: Been around the world and I'm back here now

Default Been around the world and I'm back here now

My quest continues to find a war game I like, I think I've seen or played them all now but posting here to see if I may have missed any.

I'm looking for grand strategy, prefer the ww2 period. Here's what I've learned, I don't like hexed based games. I don't think I like HOI3 because of the counters and combat seems kind of boring. I like the way Supreme Ruler handles the map and the units but the combat is really bad, actually the strategic level of combat is missing all together. I think I've seen or tried every paradox and matrix game possible. I do like the way Paradox games handle the maps in EU4 and CK2, but not so much Hearts of Iron for some reason. In my quest to find a game I'm back to Supreme Ruler and HOI3, HOI3 wins for combat SR for the other aspects. Are there any games I may be missing that are like SR and HOI3 with a good level of detail? How did you learn to like HOI3 if you did not initially? Thanks

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: Been around the world and I'm back here now

Have you tried Gary Grigsby's World at War?
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Have you tried Gary Grigsby's World at War?

Have not played it but did watch several videos and don't really care for the way armies/navies are represented. I'd like to see more than a few icons in the way that SR and HOI3 represent forces. There's just not a enough interest in the map/troops for my liking. His other game "Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich" made good use of displaying multiple units on a more lifelike map. Also I think I prefer real time vs turn based games.
    Last edited by longboat; May 28, 2014 at 04:04 PM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I see, how about Airborne Assault III: Conquest of the Aegean
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    I see, how about Airborne Assault III: Conquest of the Aegean
    That's one I had not seen on the Matrix site, looks like command ops battle of the bulge which I bought and did not like though because of the counters though. As much as I wanted to like Matrix games I just can't seem to get in to them. Really like Paradox grand strategy titles though with the exception of HOI3 for some reason. Trying to like it but just not there yet.

Masters of the World is decent. It's modern-day though, and I suspect you will find the combat lacking.

Unfortunately I don't think that you will ever find a game that has 100% of what you are looking for. You might just have to stick to the ones suggested and have a mix of different games as HOI3 and SR are really quite unique.

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I suggest Darkest Hour with Kaiserreich if you haven`t tried it yet.