Thread: Total Formations MoD [ Overhaul Campaign & Battle MoD ]

Default Total Formations MoD [ Overhaul Campaign & Battle MoD ]

Hey all!

There is an old video of what the mod was in the begining. Just the battle mod eheh. You can see it at Steam Workshop.

Here is the link to the steam workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=233539990

Due to the size of the mod I cannot upload it in here

Why is this MoD alive?
    This is my first real mod for a Total War game. I was so disappointed at the game at launch that I decided to do something about it. And change it. At first it was just a little tweak here and there until a found a mod that I enjoyed back at Steam Workshop. It was "hellas reformed" I think. There I used it as base for my mod. But within a week or so it was something much different already.

And the result is this mod. It has bits of work of other modders and it is a Work in Progress. Meaning that It is finished but I'm updating it regularly. I wish to have some feedback on the mod and I don't get much with the mod sitting at the workshop. So here you all go. The mod has more changes but I just started recording a changelog on the 24th of May.

What is the mod all about?

This mod is about giving power to the tactical players. But it is also fun to play to the more barbaric kind of players.
    How? All kinds of abilities have been buffed they now give massive bonuses for short periods of time giving way for powerful charges and giving mementum to the Barbarian troops. They have long cooldowns tough.
    To add to this all the formations have been equally buffed giving not as strong passive buffs. Diferent formations give different buffs.
    This allows for a more immersive and dinamic gameplay. Adding this to the pace of the battles in the mod, which is medium, you can enjoy brief moments of watching your troops fighting and moments where you will bring up your tactical genius to finnaly give the killing blow.
    I've had 20 minute open battles as well as 5~10 mintute open battles. It all depend on how and when you or the AI decide to tactically sieze the day. Whether by punching a hole through the enemy line, flanking the enemy or support flank and routing it to start causing a chain rout. The redesigned morale system is now made to respond better to casualities, tirdness and ambience around the unit making the routing "engine" much more logic. The formations also give way for less losses thus longer lasting battles and higher morale put together with the new morale system one on ones last very long unless you do something about them. When you're in a 5000 vs 5000 battle often you'll find yourself in a stale situation where all your infantry is fighting and the battle is not going to either side. You'll notice your units are not being killed very fast neither are the enemie's use that time to either make your winning move or... why not press "K" and enjoy the massive battlefield to go around and cheer your men as they fight for you? YES! You do have time. As I said above.
    Put all this I told you together with a new recruitment system [How you get your recruitment slots] different for Barbarians and Civilized cultures for more immersion and the numerous tweeks I've made to the diplomacy AI and campaign play you'll find yourself playing Rome II and enjoying it a lot.

It is my opinion that of all the battle mods I've played this one is the best. Not because I made it but because it is the one that I had the most fun with so far. It might not be the best campaign mod but I'm very happy with it.

Recommended Mods:
    -Traits, Talents and Toadies: Character Overhaul Patch (Very, very nice mod, gives you more traits, talents and retainers for your generals most of which now have significant buffs.)
    -Two Skillpoints per levelup (Exactly what the tittle says.)
    -+MORE-TOWNS-AND-CITIES+ Version 4 (It adds towns to the map. You can't manage them nor conquer them, they are just purely for being pretty and adding so much to the map.)

Thanks, if you have any doubts, sugestions or if you want to help with maybe creating new cool units and cool reskins post here I'm open to new ideas!

This mod has Normal's unit cards eventough this is not completed yet.
    This mod has pdguru's roman re-skin included and also some nice centurions for your legions.
    Thanks to Drazan and Centurion
    Normal for unit cards.
    Maf for the hoplon meshes.
    Moon Hoplite for the Roman Shield wall.
    pdguru's Romans (pdguro if you see this please tell me weather I can use it or not :c I couldn't reach you.)
    Archimonday's AI
    Setrus86's Formation mod base

A big THANKS to all of them!
    Last edited by L0n3w0lf9k; May 30, 2014 at 07:01 PM.

Default Re: Total Formations MoD [ Overhaul Campaign & Battle MoD ]

AI Changes:

AI Changes
    - I don't get zerged at the begining of a campaign. I used to. [The AI had higher priority for war with the player for some reason. Now the AI will only declare war if stronger and if it dislikes you]
    - The AI engages in diplomacy more often. [It will try to make friends with neighbours he does not dislike or just ask them money sometimes.]
    - Trading is not as hard as in Vannila.

The Battle changes are:

Battle Changes
    -Formations give huge buffs [mainly predominant on civilized civ.] Ex. Wedge is an offensive formation good bonus charge and attack less defense. while shield wall or hoplite phalanx is a defensive formation less attack more defense. LOTS!
    -Special abilities as well. [mainly predominant on Barbarian civ.]
    -Larger unit numbers, specially on Barbarian units. All ranged units got 200 men. Horse skirmishers 120 and horsemen 100. This is standard if you find units that don't follow this let me know.
    - Morale reworked. Intended to make a unit fight for long periods of time morale is lowest when units are tired this is notable on poor units. Surrounded units still fight but not for long if they are losing. Do abuse flanking and back charging! Specially in battle of civilized vs civilized. A battle between two hoplites will last for a long long time. use this time to get skirmishers or attacking infantry on their backs. Or horsemen eheh.
    -Spacings changed as well.
    -Towers fire faster.
    -Reduced skirmisher damages [Not a very significant change but just enough]
    -As well as some other things like matched combat properties or flanking bonus etc.
    -Unit Mass also reworked.

The Campaign changes are:

Campaign Changes
    - Recruitment Slot system overhauled as explained in the change logs of May 26th
    -No Forced March. Planned to reintroduce this with a much smaller bonus.
    -Transport ship spam protection.
    - Great Victories and Defeats affect population order in the province they occur with some minor but nice public order bonuses or debufffs in case of defeat. [If province is yours]
    -Quelling rebelions also gives a + public order bonus.
    -Mercenary upkeeps reduced by around 150 denars for all units with over 300 denars upkeep. [To help campaigns with Carthage and Getae for example who relly heavily on mercenaries. The high upkeep is not very welcoming]
    -Temples and Public Order Buildings give more public order.
    - Reduced food requirement for a lot of tier 3+ buildings [ more info in change logs ]
    -Large towns (not main ones) now have deployables and at last tier even have walls. =D

------------------------------------------//-------------------------------------------------------//-------------------------------------------------//---------------------------------------------//-----------------------------------------------//------------------------------------//----------------------//
    Change Log:

Change Log

30th May
    - ap cost moving water to land -> 99 to 1499
    - roman faction colors -> green to red [hopefully] [for some reason rome had a lot of green shields.]
    - shield wall added to many barbarian units.
    - Shield wall added to missile/melee units such as peltast or agrianian axes [ Upon reading some greek/macedonian history I came to realize these were mixed type units.]
    - Increased archer range to 10 more than slingers

28th May

- Made Transports be able to move farther on the campaign map in hopes that AI will use them more. [Also to allow Ardiei to and conquer port cities]
    - Illyrian ships have a 160 men on board regardless. They are a seafaring people as such this should be represented.
    Being pirates they must be able to raid coastal towns which is not possible with low men units.

27th May

-tweak to missile combat. - 6 damage to all missile weapons.
    -Towers in sieges fire faster
    -Gates take twice the time of a tower to capture. (after all there are two towers in a gate)

Today there was the Getae update. Mod was updated.
    This will make defending easier but attacking that much more difficult.
    We all need a challange some time =P
    This should make skirmishing units not have such an impact on the overall outcome of the battle but still be valuable and make good damage on the enemy.

26th May
    -Some new axe and pike animations. Not much but it's nice to have.
    -Lowered tier 4 food requirements and squalor for quite a lot of buildings from 10 to 6 and 12 to 8. (Damaged squalor is still the same.)
    -Did the same with food requirements where damaged building will also require more food.

-Changes in recruitment settings to make it more strategical.

Base recruitment is 1.

For Hellenic, Romans, and Eastern factions it will go as follows:

+1 recruitment slot for every major town in the province.
    +1 recruitment slot for every military building in the province. For Barbarian faction it will go as follows:

+1 recruitment slot for every town of level 2 and for every major town level 1 or 2 in the province.
    +2, +3 recruitment slots for level 3 and 4 major town respectively and +2 for every town level 3 and 4.

Goal is to have barbarian factions feel a bit different in the campaign play as well allowing them to recruit more units per town (in fully developed regions can go up to 10 units per turn where in fully developed Civilized regions it's 6 units per turn [ one military building in ever town ] if math is done for a 4 region province)
    I usually only have 2 military building per region. So I would be able to recruit 4 units if I were Civilized but if I had lv 2 towns and a lv 3 major town I would be able to recruit up to 6 units per turn if I were Barbarian.
    Allowing the Barbarians to field more units and be stronger versus civilized factions. Where numbers will try to overcome the formations. Please give some feedback =D

25th May
    Hi today I decided to add some AI diplomatic changes.
    The goal is to make the AI smarter in its choices considering its wars and allies.
    The AI will be more likely to trade or try to reach an agreement depending on the type of faction or leader.

24th May

- More cavalry! ranged Cav will be increased for 120 men, melee Cav 100 men.
    - More Ranged units! All ranged infantry will get 200 men per unit.
    Last edited by L0n3w0lf9k; May 30, 2014 at 07:04 PM.

Default Re: Total Formations MoD [ Overhaul Campaign & Battle MoD ]

Reserved.