Thread: how to kill enemy ships in port ?

Default how to kill enemy ships in port ?

hey guys, just like the title, the enemy ships are hiding in my port but when I click at them, my ships just stand next to the port but no attack ? how can I clear them out of my ports ?

thanks a lot

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: how to kill enemy ships in port ?

Send soldiers into the port to force the ships out, then you can attack them with your fleet
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

If you're talking Malta you won't be able to land troops because the settlement is too close. My solution is to have a large, powerful fleet positioned right at the edge of the enemy response zone (shaded red), then send in a single ship into the response zone directly next to the fleet, so that the fleet acts as reinforcement. The AI in-port fleet will respond to the single ship and you can jump them. You may have to experiment to determine what ship or number of ships will draw them out, or if different areas of the response zone are more sensitive (like trade routes). Make sure you are at war with the faction.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Malta? There's Malta on the map?

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

oops! I was thinking of ETW. It's been a while since I played NTW and now that you mention it I don't recall Malta, the tactic I described should still be valid though - unless the AI's been tweaked to take out of range ships into consideration.

thank you guys, I will try it !

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

To be honest, they really should have included Malta. It played a large part prior to Napoleon's Egyptian adventure and also for vital British control of the Mediterranean as a whole
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Patrician Artifex

Yes, Malta should be in... As well as many other map tweaks.

I like to station 1 militia unit (or whichever unit has the cheaper cost) in each port so they cant damage the port. They can only blockade it and its easier for my ships to maneuver in and autocalc the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by KetsaKunta View Post
    I like to station 1 militia unit (or whichever unit has the cheaper cost) in each port so they cant damage the port. They can only blockade it and its easier for my ships to maneuver in and autocalc the battle.

Lol, auto resolve naval battles?

Last time I tried that, 1 38gun frigate killed horatio nelson and his 100% health 122 gun rose, and all the ships I had supporting him....it was like really? Since then, I do not auto resolve naval battles......cuz next, I will have a 12 gun tradeship killing the rose entirely...lol....on fire, kaboom..no mo rose...

And on a side note, why is Nelson the Admiral for the British anyway? He died like 2 years before the campaign starts and hes driving a ship he never had....his was the Victorious or something else....

Patrician Artifex

Nelson died at Trafalgar, 21 October 1805. Campaign starts in January 1805. So, can you explain how he died two years before the campaign starts?