Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Sad Announcement

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: A Sad Announcement

Couldn't you simply change the name?

And more: If you are not getting money from your work, what can they claim against you?

Example: All the Mods using 'Warhammer' and 'Warhammer 40k' logo are in the same condition, in fact the logo belongs to Games Workshop (that is a shark when someone tries to touch their copyright rights!) but nothing happened to them! Also 'Third Age' or 'Lord of the Rings' are under copyright but nothing happened to those using them without getting money.

Anyway good work, in the hope all this idiotic accident ends soon!

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I've lost all respect for GRRM.

I just re-downloaded M2TW yesterday in order to play the Westeros mod again, and now this happens?

Indefinitely Banned

this is sad :C

just upload it somewhere else and link it

[quote author=Cozur link=topic=194610.msg7221399#msg7221399 date=1401195488]
    [quote author=Inanch-Bilge link=topic=194610.msg7221368#msg7221368 date=1401194605]
    I heard Martin's lawyers made a total war mod removed from the twcenter, wonder if this one is also under threat ?
    [/quote]

No one really knows what's going on with that whole mess. No other modification team has been contacted by these so-called "lawyers representing George R. R. Martin". Given that the Westeros mod is not nearly as popular as some other ASOIAF related projects, it all seems a bit sketchy.

Anyhow, you'll notice that the westeros.org forum run by Elio and Linda, who co-authored the new worldbook, is still hosting a WTW sub-forum. I've also been in contact with them a while back, and they said there was no problem with people making such things as modifications.

[/quote]
    Copy-pasted quote from taleworlds, Cozur, the red text is making a Mount and Blade: Warband mod. Perhaps you could go to westeros.org and talk to the people there about it?
    I am suspicious about this, since by all rights they should also take down the two Warband mods and the Crusader Kings 2 mod if they are targeting you.

Hermod's Avatar Miles

I just remembered the other Westeros mod here on TWC, I cant think of its name right now but I believe it is being developed by an Italian team and they have a fairly lengthy thread in the Med II WIP mods section. I haven't seen anything on their thread about them being forced to leave TWC, coupled with the lack of threats against mods against other games is somewhat unusual in my opinion. Regardless, I hope the team here can find a new home for their work and carry on.

Geleco's Avatar Domesticus

Absolutely criminal and suspect in my opinion. If this has been ordered to be removed from the site (by the way, why only the site? that in itself is suspicious, one would think the 'lawyers' would want it completely removed from all possible download locations) then why haven't mods like the Crusader Kings 2 mod or A Clash of Kings for Mount & Blade been contacted? They are far more popular and well-known. This does not sound right at all.

VaeVictis's Avatar Miles

Aw, this is very sad news. I was trying to figure out why the forum was missing from the main page. Not only was I looking forward to the mod, but this was my favorite place to come read and post about the tv show and books. The whole thing seems shady to me as well but understand the situation that this puts TWC in. If this mod/forum lives on somewhere else, I would gladly join that community as well. Good people with a good sense of humor.

These guys are not GRRMs personal lawyers, this much i can tell you after looking up their firm...
    The words "legally superficial" have been used to describe them over the web along with some other statements i've found from people targeted by their CnDs, and trust me when i say they issue a lot of these to just about anyone they can get their hands on by the sounds of things; they have quite the rep. However they are serious, having tricked many unwary targets into signing their names and in doing so forcing them to pay certain unjustifiable amounts.

I don't blame TWC for standing down as while these guys may be somewhat corrupt that only makes fighting them more of a risk. The mod will live on however, for what is dead may never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SoulGamesInc View Post
    The mod will live on however, for what is dead may never die!
    I don't think that was the correct quote to use... It makes it sound like the mod has already been dead... Next time, use THE TWC REMEMBERS!... God, I'm so lame...

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Gallus View Post
    I've lost all respect for GRRM.
    THIS. Instead of writing the story to its end, he and his minions choose to F* up such a hard labour! Ah, I'll just shut up, or else all the will come out.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

i should point out that this is more likely a case of minions, not of grrm. the letter was sent by german lawyers respresenting random house LLC, grrms publisher. its all a bit fishy, but TWC still cant risk it.

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

I just hope you can continue to work on this wonderful mod and i want you guys to know that you have the support of a lot of fans of the franchise and of the mod. Good Luck !

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

UselessPoster's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Blimey... I never heard of this happening, did he (Martin) give any indication as to why? I know he is against fan-fic but a mod isn't really that.
    Just like game of thrones a man shows his true colors. This time the person who wrote game of thrones shows his own and thus i lost my respect for him which is a shame i thought he was good person.
    Q2 2015 ...

Time to go on a killing spree in HATRED .

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Okay this is irritating me a bit: George R. R. Martin did not write this letter. He probably has no knowledge of it being sent. Rather this letter claims to be on behalf of the Random House publishers who are the "owner[s] of various copyrights of 'A Song of Ice and Fire'." Clearly the client here is the publisher not the author.

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post
    Clearly the client here is the publisher not the author
    Indeed, these are not Georges personal lawyers and i highly doubt he knows anything about this.

UselessPoster's Avatar Semisalis

Everything is speculation at this point. Except the letter ;p.

I am sure it will come down to a sucess after all its a modification unless the team want to create a total war game based on game of thrones which is why they are closing you down or wanting to. After all the series has made quite the impression on people maybe they see potential and thus want to shut down your mods for their own crack at a game ?.
    Q2 2015 ...

Time to go on a killing spree in HATRED .

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

What an "unreal" event regarding a TW mod! The Westeros TW mod was on my future-play-list as well.

Where is the lawyer's letter, is it posted somewhere in the forum?

I would be pretty interested to read the exact wording, ie. to see what the exact reason regarding the copyright-infraction is?
    Is it the mod title-part "Westeros" alone, or all other names as well, ..., pictures, ... etc.?
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 29, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Indefinitely Banned

is it either a faked letter from a hater(or more),or the mod creator just wants to shut it down and found a good reason to do so

i dont care about the reason,the mod should be uploaded on other forums as well(even if its just to promote it)
    Last edited by King of the Ring; May 29, 2014 at 03:18 PM.

This is the real deal, but I like to see a fellow riot <3
    Don't be a prick, don't be a whiny little child - Stop White Genocide and Praise Jesus.

Very nice, Getting a good picture everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin? Thank you. -The God Emperor, creating world peace and unforgettable memes
    https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/statu...48737210662912 <-- Unforgettable face.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast