Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Sad Announcement

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Default A Sad Announcement

As many have noticed, the Westeros: Total War forum is no longer visible to those without Full Membership. On the 22nd of May, TWC site-owner, GrnEyedDvl received a letter from the lawyers and publisher of George R. R. Martin. Westeros: Total War must be removed from Total War Center in - as of then - ten days or the forum will face legal action. Needless to say, this is not an option and Total War Center will have to comply. Nevertheless, no one on the team plans to stand idly by and let several years of hard work disappear. We currently aim to send a reply to G.R.R.M. but until then we will have to migrate the bulk of this subforum, the submods, the hotseats even, to somewhere else. Yet the hardest part will be the community, the Total War fans whom we largely leave behind, the Westeros ones who will hopefully follow. We are currently considering possible venues and will continue to keep you updated, particularly through Twitter, and will update this thread with details as they become clear.
    Last edited by Inarus; May 26, 2014 at 07:39 AM.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Default Re: A Sad Announcement

Well well, it is within theyre rights to do so. and they can. But i dont see the harm in a mod for now. this will only increase sales for GRRM effects, not decrease them.

But good luck to you.

Good luck Inarus and all of your minions, take your time as we shall be patiently waiting to breach and butcher.
    Last edited by Mithridate; May 26, 2014 at 08:32 AM.
    Don't be a prick, don't be a whiny little child - Stop White Genocide and Praise Jesus.

Very nice, Getting a good picture everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin? Thank you. -The God Emperor, creating world peace and unforgettable memes
    https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/statu...48737210662912 <-- Unforgettable face.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Blimey... I never heard of this happening, did he (Martin) give any indication as to why? I know he is against fan-fic but a mod isn't really that.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

Hey, best of luck man!

I feel ill. Those monkeys have been content to sit back with steepled fingers while Cyanide studio and (god save us) Facebook drag their sweaty nuttsacks all over the face of ASoIaF with their , cash grab games, but when genuine fans produce a work that does service to the source material without encroaching on or bastardizing the lore, they try to scour it from the earth. I think I'm going to go and live in the woods for a while.

Cleomenes III's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousAndroid42 View Post
    I feel ill. Those monkeys have been content to sit back with steepled fingers while Cyanide studio and (god save us) Facebook drag their sweaty nuttsacks all over the face of ASoIaF with their , cash grab games, but when genuine fans produce a work that does service to the source material without encroaching on or bastardizing the lore, they try to scour it from the earth. I think I'm going to go and live in the woods for a while.
    Very true.

This also happened with the Middle Earth Roleplaying Project for Skyrim. That would have been an epic game but Warner Bros decided to remove it in favour of their own crappy Lotr game.

Anyway, best of luck in overcoming this.

Ego sum Attila flagellum Dei

Okay, a front page announcement in all TW fan sites asking the members to flood their emails should be a good start.

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

This is the sort of ridiculousness that makes me ashamed to be a member of the legal profession. People litigate just for the sake of hurting other people and taking away something that makes them happy. Everyone involved should be ashamed, including George R. R. Martin if he's involved.

They don't care that this mod does no harm to the ASoIaF franchise. They don't care that it keeps people interested in the franchise while we're waiting a LONG time between books. They don't care. They look out over the world from their big offices and say, "how can we earn our ridiculous legal rates today?"

Well, congrats, George R. R. Martin and his publishers. You've probably spent thousands of dollars on lawyer fees shutting down something that only helped to put more money in your pockets.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Well, those guys.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Oh, this is terrible news! I still dont understand the reason behind those kind of actions by the publishers since this mod can only lure fans into the Westeros world. Really sad news.

Riverknight's Avatar Last of the Romans

A Sad day for TWC, therefore the World.

Hermod's Avatar Miles

Well this sucks, does anyone know if anything similar has happened to the Song of Ice and Fire Crusader Kings II mod? It is such a shame when people try to take away a project from the dedicated fans, which in my mind is in no way harmful to GRRM or his works, and try to erase years of hard work. I for one will try to remain optimistic and wish the Westeros team all the luck in the world in overcoming this setback.

Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius

Wow....

I must admit I am not 100% surprised.

I am not o fay (I have no idea how to spell that!) with current forum standards, but back in my days of being an admin proboards was a popular site? I am sure there are loads of other free forum hosts....

This will truely be the end of an era as far as hotseating...

[Thanks for Inarus to pointing me in this direction]

Gonna miss my postcount too :-p

It's unknown currently wherever or not the Hotseat forum will be effected by this, hopefully it wont.

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

That sucks! It shows something fundamentally wrong with our society but I'm sure there are other, less visited forums, to host the mod.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

irishviking5's Avatar Decanus

Well this is unfortunate

I got some big words from a small men to grrm: Frist of all he brought me tears when he killed SPOILER
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ( Ned,Robb,Catlyn (Lady Stoneheart),Jorry Cassel,Theon Greyjoy To Reek,Balon Greyjoy).

And then he comes from knows where and destroy some dedicated fans, mod he is a dick a must addmit sorry for my language but that the truth.
    Any ways don't give up guys keep up your heads and the good work
    I tip my hat to all of you from a legend to a legend.
    Last edited by Emperor of Hell; May 26, 2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Spoilers

This are terrible news. Good luck to you.

Uriyaca's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Wow. This is an incredibly sad announcement. In any way, wherever the mod wonders, I will follow, despite my deep effection to TWC :/

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast