Thread: Mercs

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Default Mercs

Who do you guys think are the best Mercs in the game? Either by region or any individual unit .
    i thinks down south in the Romuli area has by far the best merc units. Time and time again these guys can take a hit and keep on going. But if I had to choose one as the best over all i have to say mammoth native units. i do wish we had some female amazon units I think 5, light Calvary, swordwoman, archer, javelin and spear units.

Default Re: Mercs

I don't use many mercs as they slowly die out over time without replenishment. Except range mercs since they are only in danger to enemy ranged or cavalry.

Melee: Uruks and Jotunns.
    Ranged: Ly Kan crossbows.
    Cavalry: The dark knights by the feudal factions and the javelin lizards.
    Elephant: I remember theur being artillery elephants by the desert regions?
    Siege: Definitely monster bombards.

There has some of the funnest mercenaries out of all the mods I've played. Would have liked an amazon mercenary too. Maybe one day TFON will make Thera for Rome 2.

I don't really use that many mercs to be honest. But I do rather like the Aztlan units from the island just to the west of the Paynal, they're pretty great.

Mercs are useful though to make a kind of 'Foreign Legion' sort of thing and use a faction's own units against them which is always fun.

All kinds of elephants, uruks, aztlan. And also monster bombard for artillery. Great for that one time siege use in syrianna.

Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

What I always use are the units which I can replenish.
    For example when I attack the gaelics, I know I will be able to replenish saethwre (dunno, welsh longbow) in the cities, so I hire them from the get go.

Other then that, I use mercenary units which have good staying power: long range missile units, siege equipment, mounted skirmishers. I usually don't hire melee infantry/cavalry, where replenishment would be a bigger issue.

My favourite would be the gaelic longbowmen I think (sathwr or something).

The mod does feature some great long range merc units.
    To be honest this mod has some of the best merc units I have ever seen. And I like that "Foreign Legion" concept sounds cool.
    Last edited by Incredible Bulk; May 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM.

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Bulk View Post
    They mod does feature some great long range merc units.
    To be honest this mod has some of the best merc units I have ever seen. And I like that "Foreign Legion" concept sounds cool.
    I like this aspect of the mod too. The fact that there are the "sumari steppes" between Lao Che and Uruks, and I can field a whole Sumari army if I want is kind of cool. (of course it is the same with other regions too)

Torvus's Avatar Campidoctor

I tend to use only the cheap mercs as throw-away fodder. I'll send them in first to soften up the enemy before sending my faction troops in to break them.

The mod does feature some great long range merc units.
    Yeah that sounds really cool and I want to make a special part of my army only foreign, but I always and up mixing my armies because of unforseen opportunities and such. Also, role-play wise, some factions are better suited to use mercs, like the privateers i'm playing atm. They don't care whose's fighting for them, as long as they conquer and loot some sweet gold . And with other factions, like the Romuli, I like to use less mercs because they are more based on their own troops, I don't see them letting in non Romuli foreigners into their armies (which they would regard as "subhumans" of some sort).

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Roboto View Post
    Yeah that sounds really cool and I want to make a special part of my army only foreign, but I always and up mixing my armies because of unforseen opportunities and such. Also, role-play wise, some factions are better suited to use mercs, like the privateers i'm playing atm. They don't care whose's fighting for them, as long as they conquer and loot some sweet gold . And with other factions, like the Romuli, I like to use less mercs because they are more based on their own troops, I don't see them letting in non Romuli foreigners into their armies (which they would regard as "subhumans" of some sort).
    That's true I agree with you but the Romuli more closely resembles the Roman empire and they had foreign Legion. Called the auxiliary

That's true I agree with you but the Romuli more closely resembles the Roman empire and they had foreign Legion. Called the auxiliary
    Yeah you're right. Now that I think about it, they would use "foreigners". But in a seperate part of the army, away from the main forces. As opposed to the pirates, the would be like "Arrr me matey, ye got a weapon? Then yer welcome to join our looting and pillaging.

Don't forget Atzlan Warriors and Bodaway warriors....in the right place the Bodaways can be deadly...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice808 View Post
    Don't forget Atzlan Warriors and Bodaway warriors....in the right place the Bodaways can be deadly...
    Yeah I was recently exposed to them and they are nice

Yeah I was recently exposed to them and they are nice
    It's like Uruks and naffatun but for the Mesocala factions .

Double A's Avatar person man

It's like Uruks and naffatun but for everyone with 225 florins.
    Fixed.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    Fixed.
    It's like a cheap brand, but still offers great quality .

Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius

I quite like recruiting Native Mercs who have fre upkeep in settlements. That way I can leave them as a cheap garrison force.

I love the Merc system in this mod and I like that you can recruit such a wide variety of different troop types.

This mod does have the best mercs

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-dude View Post
    I quite like recruiting Native Mercs who have fre upkeep in settlements. That way I can leave them as a cheap garrison force.

I love the Merc system in this mod and I like that you can recruit such a wide variety of different troop types.
    I totally love the free upkeep system in this game. It forces you to keep actual town defending units into your towns.

I totally love the free upkeep system in this game. It forces you to keep actual town defending units into your towns.
    Agreed, love that any many other aspects of the game. Really enjoy having knights facing firearms being engaged with Meso-American troops supporting too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]