Thread: Version 3.3 Released

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Default Version 3.3 Released

-----Version 3.3 Has Been Released!!-----

This release is save game compatible, but some changes won't be seen until a new campaign is started.

-Tweaked Major Faction Autobattle Script.
    The bonuses applied during Major Attacker vs. Minor Defender were reduced.
    The bonuses applied during Minor Attacker vs. Major Defender were increased.
    The bonuses applied during Rome vs. Major Defender were reduced.
    The bonuses applied during Major Attacker vs. Rome were increased.
    Overall, these changes serve to make Major Factions hold any territories they already have much more reliably, while making their rate of expansion through acquiring new territories occur slightly slower compared to 3.2.
    -Series of Unit Balance Adjustments to make the differences between low quality units and high quality units not such a huge gap.
    These changes will help to prevent the issue of a single unit unrealistically decimating several lower quality units. The intended logic behind these changes is to enforce the idea that at a certain point, skill stops meaning anything when you're simply outnumbered.
    -Standardized Unit Health by slightly increasing HP of units with low health and slightly decreasing HP of units with high health.
    -Reduced Melee Defense Stat of all Hoplite-Classed Units. These guys had really high defense values, especially in phalanx formation, and below average attack values leading to fights taking longer than intended.
    -Reduced Melee Attack stat of all cavalry with values above 60. The highest value was 79, it is now 60.
    -Reduced Melee Attack stat of all infantry with values above 50. The highest value was 76, it is now 60.
    -Reduced Melee Attack stat of high quality Elephants. The highest value was 64, it is now 56.
    -Reduced Morale of Elephants rated at 65 down to 60.
    -Very small buff to Praetorian Guard so their stats are no longer identical to Praetorians.
    -Slight buff to Egyptian Infantry so they are no longer just as useless as garrison mobs. Slight cost increase to match.
    -Added "Bonus vs. Large" and "Bonus vs. Infantry" stat to all unit card info panels so their strengths and weaknesses are now more transparent to the player.
    In vanilla there are an insane amount of units with a bonus in one area that isn't listed on the info card.
    This could have potentially led the player to believe that if a bonus wasn't listed, then no bonus exists.
    Now you'll know exactly how effective that cavalry unit with spears is going to be against that cavalry unit with swords.
    -Minor Tweak to Kill Rates.
    Charge damage slightly reduced and melee combat hit chance slightly increased.
    -Reduced all Champion Unit Training XP Bonus Traits by half.
    The base effect was already cut in half, but I forgot to reduce these modifiers as well.
    -Removed Greek Slingers from the unit roster of The Seleucids.
    Vanilla gave them access to both Greek and Eastern Slingers, resulting in redundant recruitment lists and oversized garrisons.
    -Minor reduction to run speed of ranged cavalry.
    -Slight increase to run speed of very heavy infantry.
    -Increased spacing of all infantry units to reduce blobbing.
    -Added small food production to Macedon Horse Pens.
    -Slight Increase to Naval Replenishment Rates.
    -Increased the cooldown period of random disasters (flood, fire, earthquake) from 12 turns to 20 turns.

As you might be able to tell, this update mostly focuses on Battle Map tweaks and adjustments. The Campaign Map should behave more ideally with the script adjustments as well. After you pick this update up and start a new campaign, please post your results and feedback. I'd really love to read some AAR's!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Silven; May 28, 2014 at 08:05 AM.

Default Re: Version 3.3 Released!!

Great

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Edit: Just updated the download link with a new revision of 3.3. It's exactly the same as before, except there's a little present in the frontend now. Enjoy.

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

Seems like a solid update. Will give feedback tonight with a new campaign.
    August Strindberg: "There's a view, current at the moment even among quite sensible people, that women, that secondary form of humanity (second to men, the lords and shapers of human civilisation) should in some way become equal with men, or could so be; this is leading to a struggle which is both bizarre and doomed. It's bizarre because a secondary form, by the laws of science, is always going to be a secondary form. Imagine two people, A (a man) and B (a woman). They start to run a race from the same point, C. A (the man) has a speed of, let's say, 100; B (the woman) has a speed of 60. Now, the question is 'Can B ever overtake A?" and the answer is 'Never!'. Whatever training, encouragement or self-denial is applied, the proposition is as impossible as that two parallel lines should ever meet."

Good news. Just testing and it looks like AI is really aggressive, at least at level hard.

But what is still really annoying is, that agents are still too heavy. I really hate it to see enemy agents distroying all my city buildings without problems with really no chance of stopping them.
    I'd love to see agents to do the work they should be intended for imho. Spys should spy to see what an enemy does. Heros should train the armies. And dignitaries should put some positive effects to my provinces or to my armies. It it would be possible, I would increase the amount of money to one million for every agent action against ememy armies or cities.

I know I can use a no agent mod and I did it in the past, but in some other mods I see agent actions in a tolerable manner. And I think agents make sense in the game, but not to corrupt gameplay.

Yep, i just removed AI agents.

I don't really want them to be removed. They're part of the gameplay. But enemy actions should be the exceptional case.
    Recon, training and administration should be their job and not to get on the nerves of the player

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Ya i have no intention of removing agents from the game. Maybe I'll make the amount of money the AI is allowed to spend on them even less in a future update, but I'm not going to remove them completely. They're an important part of the game, and removing them would just make things easier for the player.

The autobattle scripts are my main interest. Are they save compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by Silven View Post
    Maybe I'll make the amount of money the AI is allowed to spend on them even less in a future update
    good idea. Or would it be possible to reduced the chance of success for agent actions even more? Or increase the effect against agent actions for special buildings like temple of Mars? Or even both

Another question:

Is it really wanted, that after the Marian reforms the garrison troops of villages are fairly reduced?

Quote Originally Posted by Tullius Germanicus View Post
    would it be possible to reduced the chance of success for agent actions even more?
    That will make AI waste resources on useless agents. And AI is not really strong as it is.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

@JObidiah
    Yes, the autobattle script change will carry over to your current save, if you are upgrading from 3.2. Otherwise, no it won't.

@Tullius Germanicus
    Increasing the effects of anti-agent buildings is an interesting idea. I may end up doing something like that. By the way, exactly which agent actions are you guys so irritated by?
    How much are you seeing the roman garrisons reduced? I haven't modded the base/default garrisons of vanilla, I simply added another layer to them. My understanding is that vanilla upgrades the garrison units to legionaries, but might drop a few mobs or leves in doing so. So the amount of troops garrisoned might a little less, but their quality is much higher.

The problem is: After the Marian reforms you'll get no garrisons e.g. for barracks. Also garrisions for other buildings are halved or completely gone.
    Had the same problem with CAC mod. Perhaps it's an patch 12 issue?

Regarding agents: The most annoying agent action is destroying my city buildings or stop building. For this action the success factor feels like nearly 100%. That's annoying.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Tullius Germanicus View Post
    The problem is: After the Marian reforms you'll get no garrisons e.g. for barracks. Also garrisions for other buildings are halved or completely gone.
    Had the same problem with CAC mod. Perhaps it's an patch 12 issue?

Regarding agents: The most annoying agent action is destroying my city buildings or stop building. For this action the success factor feels like nearly 100%. That's annoying.
    I'm about to start a new Rome Campaign using 3.3 to test out a number of issues reported for the Romans. I'll look into all the things you've all brought up and see if there are any problems that can be fixed.

I'll also have a look into the success rates for the Spy Sabotage action.

Oy. I started my campaign with 3.1, so I guess I've been playing without the scripts all along. Thanks for answering such a dumb question though.