Thread: The last stand at Perganum: a R:TW AAR

Cybermat47's Avatar Libertus

Default The last stand at Perganum: a R:TW AAR

A hundred years ago, our proud state of Sparta controlled a vast Empire, from Crete in the south to Southern Arcania in the north. From Geryon in the west to Erythrai in the east. But that was a hundred years ago. Our Empire crumbled. But, with the state of Thermon rejoining us, honoring the treaty between us and the Aetolian League, Perganum and Rhodes joining us of their own volition, Syracrause again asking for our help, and our conquest of our former protectorate, Crete, Sparta is once again strong. But the Macedons, who toppled our Empire, are gaining more strength, having taken Athens, the last state not controlled by Sparta or the tyrants in Pella. And across the seas, the Romans have taken Syracrause, and in the process killed Dyionisos of Sparta, an heir to the throne. But, we have also found new allies. The Romans have declared war against Carthage, Hegemons of the Mediterranean. Seeing an opportunity, we allied ourselves with them. Whoever takes Syracrause from the Romans first will keep it. We know the Carthaginians will treat the Syracrausians well if they get their first. And, in the far south, we allied ourselves with the Egyptians, ruled by the Pharoah, the latest of a line that was chosen by the Gods when they fled to Egypt from Typhon's rage. Together, we and the Egyptians will crush our common enemy, the Seleucid Empire.

Recently, the people of Pontus approached us with an offer of trade rights. We offered them an alliance as well. They refused, and suddenly attacked Perganum with scythed chariots and peltasts! With Perganum's only defense being a wooden palisade, the governor, Eumenes of Sparta, rallied the city's two bands of militia hoplites to make a last stand.

Enemy peltasts bought a ram to the gates. A band of our hoplites went to destroy the ram, but with their tight formation lost, they were slaughtered, and retreated to the city. Eumenes and his bodyguard then went out the gates, and slaughtered the enemy peltasts with their spears and swords, until the enemy chariots approached.

With the intact band of Hoplites at the gate, and Eumenes behind them, the Spartans and Perganumians (?) waited for the enemy to destroy the gates. When they did, the chariots charged in, and all but one were destroyed against the phalanx. This chariot's horses went mad, running around the place in panic and anger. As it was outside the wall, all it could have done was kill our foes. The peltasts ran in, and flee before our spears. This would happen several times. They charged, but lost heart when some dies against our spears, and repeated this morbid cycle until they were utterly broken. Now, with both hoplite bands at the gate, and the enemy peltasts still throwing themselves at our spears, the enemy general and his personal guard of chariots charged the gates. After one of them was slaughtered, they retreated, but soon came again. They were all slaughtered by the phalanx, even their general. As our foes fled the field, Eumenes cried out in triumph. Against all odds, we had won!

This is from my current campaign game as The Greek Cities in Rome: Total War, without any major mods. The Spartan Empire mentioned at the beginning is from my current Spartan sandbox game in Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece. I like linking things

I hope you enjoyed my first Rome: Total War AAR

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Default Re: The last stand at Perganum: a R:TW AAR

I love linking things too! I remember when Pontus first attacked me in my Greek Campaign. An entire stack of Armored Hoplites defended Pergamum which had Epic stone walls. I always knew the Pontics were tricky. I hope you continue writing this.

I think it would be Pergamenes. Is this Eumenes of Sparta you are controlling? He was one of my favorite characters. What happened to Dionysios?
    "It is the part of the fool to say, I should not have thought." -Scipio Africanus

"We will either find a way or make one." -Hannibal Barca

Great stuff, look forward to hearing more!!
    Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist,

While you guys were arguing about the glass of water and how full it was, I actually drank it!

Sincerely,
    The Opportunist

Great stuff!! Love it.

While you guys were arguing about the glass of water and how full it was, I actually drank it!

Sincerely,
    The Opportunist

Accidentally posted twice, sorry!

Sincerely,
    The Opportunist

Cybermat47's Avatar Libertus

Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't think I'll continue this AAR, but I'll definitely try to make more. I've got both stock R:TW and RSII (check out my RSII alternate install instructions thread to see how, I used method 3), so I've got a lot of good material for any further AARs

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Look forward to seeing more of your work.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)