Thread: Changing the Scale of the map

selenius4tsd's Avatar Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Default Changing the Scale of the map

(I realise that this is not in the right forum, sorry :S)

Does anyone know how you can change the scale of the campaign map? I mean something similar to the Warmap mod, where the distance between towns is doubled. Except that I would like to keep the original map, just increase the size of it. Anyone?

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Changing the Scale of the map

Quote Originally Posted by selenius4tsd
    (I realise that this is not in the right forum, sorry :S)

Does anyone know how you can change the scale of the campaign map? I mean something similar to the Warmap mod, where the distance between towns is doubled. Except that I would like to keep the original map, just increase the size of it. Anyone?
    You may want to try changing the movement allowances of your units, which would aproximate the same effect.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Moved to the Cartographers Quarters.

To change the scale of the campaign map you need to edit all the map files.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

I tried doing it before: I went into descr_terrain in the data/world/maps/base folder, changed the dimensions, did nothing. Not that I expected it to work...
    So which files must you edit? every single one, both .tga and .txt files?

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Yup, every single one. You will also need to edit the location of the characters in descr_strat once you've changed the size of the map as well.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

their is a tutorial on org dealing with chaniging the size of map.
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

Alrighty then, time to get started :hmmm:
    With the .tga files, should you just double the size of the map through Gimp or do you need something different?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Didn't IceTorque do this already once? Or was it someone else? In any case, changing the map size, while not especially difficult, is a lot of work. Note for instance that if the regions map, features map and trade route maps have width X and height Y, the ground type, height and climate files have size 2X+1. Another thing to take care of when resizing would be that in the final product features, cities and ports will have to be 1 pixel across. This means even editing the map files isn't simply a matter of resizing all maps by the same factor. The real pain is of course editing all txt file entries using x and y coordinates.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Found the link: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=50437
    Section four: Resizing the campaign map (in detail)

Be careful with that, what Myrddraal's describing there is adding new piece of map, like extending vanilla map to include more of Russia/Arabia, so he's changing canvas size of tga's, and adding new content to extra bit.

What you're attempting to do is change image size of tga's so all content will get stretched,
    thats why Muizer was mentioning about cities and ports having to be put back in / corrected to only 1 pixel accross. Rivers also would be a big problem - to get map working initially just make yourself an all black version of map_features, to get rid of all rivers for now.
    Then you'll need to edit them very carefully later to make sure they are only 1 pixel wide with no 2x2 pixel squares (that CTD's game)