So, i need some help with Telnet. something which is as old as the internet and fundamentally usefull yet i have never bothered to learn how to use it.

After doing a mistake and buying a modem router instead of a router (apparently modem routers cannot do what a router does? but doesn't the fact it's a modem also mean it's a router simply by what it does? anyway, suprise there :O)
the only issue, it doesn't actually support PPoE. in a more simplied answer, i needed a router, not a modem router, which now means i need to use telnet to make it into a router and not a modem router.

has anyone got the experience with this sort of thing and Telnet (as i know you can configure it by using telnet to make it into a router) and can they give me tips/links/etc...?

btw, it's for a tp-link w8960n to connect thorught PPoE (wired, no need for wireless). I similiarly have the same issue with an billion 7401VGP which is an older modem i had lying around (i tried it to see if it worked on there too).

Note: all my settings are Okay, i've set up PPoE connections before multiple times on multiple different modems (just not with the two mentioned above), so i doubt it's a problem with setting.