Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] The Triumvirate and Conflicts of Interest

Default [Discussion] The Triumvirate and Conflicts of Interest

Another member recently raised with me a slight problem in the new Triumvirate system for discipline. You now have these verdicts given by the Curator and the two magistrates alone, with Hex interaction as always. If this is so far correct, there is a problem. In the Tribunal, Magistrates form part of a similar team but as a totally independent voice from site administration. A member could very well appeal an infraction in the Tribunal at the same time a staff referral is occurring in the Triumvirate's forum. There is so far as I can see no requirement on Magistrates being recused if they sit on both cases, or have information from either case which makes their position prejudicial. This was ok when there was a CdeC of up to 10 others who weren't Magistrates, but when they alone make up the team, it is a grave concern. Both for the independence of the Tribunal, but also for fairness in those referred.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: [Discussion] The Triumvirate and Conflicts of Interest

This can be easily solved by postponing the referral until the Tribunal has given a verdict.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Why would information from one case make them prejudiced in another? Any fact related to the case should be taken into account, whether it arises in the referral or in the appeal.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Just out of curiosity, if a Triumvir were to recuse himself from voting, either due to a conflict of interest or some other variable, how would the voting proceed? There are then only two members, so the vote could split 50-50, and the Curator is already a Triumvir so can't very well cast a vote to break the tie. The Constitution doesn't stipulate anything about Hex casting a vote or appointing a replacement.

This is sort of my point, there are several bumps which I anticipate the Triumvirate running into over the coming months that its operated. It's a great idea, but needs solid rules on what happens in specific situations.

Why would information from one case make them prejudiced in another? Any fact related to the case should be taken into account, whether it arises in the referral or in the appeal

Is there never a situation where one group, perhaps the Tribunal, has access to more information or opinion than the other?

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

How is that different from when a magistrate/tribunal/moderator sat on CdeC.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

I in fact find it insulting when a Triumvir is charged with bias before a decision has been made. If a Triumvir cannot leave out his personal feelings in a case in which he constitutionally has to participate, then he wouldn't be a very good Triumvir. But one cannot determine bias before the case is actually concluded. Bias can be a problem in any case, whether it is presided over by CdeC or by the Triumvirate. It is ultimately up to the electorate to decide whether or not a Triumvir has acted in accordance with justice. If it is found that said Triumvir judged someone unfairly because of his bias, the electorate has every right to elect someone more capable.

If you honestly thought I was going anywhere near insulting them, then you're over-reacting entirely. This is a constitutional discussion around hypotheticals so as to prevent possible hiccups in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post
    If you honestly thought I was going anywhere near insulting them, then you're over-reacting entirely. This is a constitutional discussion around hypotheticals so as to prevent possible hiccups in the future.
    I didn't mean you. I meant, if someone was directly charging me with bias before I've even made a decision, then I would find that insulting. Sorry for the confusion. I love you MD. It's true. I try to hide it, but I can't.

I'm more concerned with the troubling title of 'triumvir' and the term 'triumvirate' to refer to a group acting in a way that praetors would, following the Republican model. The curia did democratically elect individuals to those offices, correct?

I know about as much about Roman history as George W. Bush knows about Iraq.

Then I accept your offer to join your regime as the official Roman culture expert. I'm not the hero this curia needs, but I am the hero this curia deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Then I accept your offer to join your regime as the official Roman culture expert. I'm not the hero this curia needs, but I am the hero this curia deserves.
    Well, you are our Curial Historian after all.

Oh God that lifetime position, I forgot about that

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    This can be easily solved by postponing the referral until the Tribunal has given a verdict.
    Which is already common practice.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

with Hex interaction as always.
    Which is how it should be, and answers your query really, they will not stand by and see someone unfairly treated!

Just a little reminder of the Hexicopter coming to the rescue!

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Which is already common practice.
    Then there is no problem and nothing to discuss.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

What of AL's question?

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

The CT is made up of the 3 elected members and Hex, whose participation is optional - in my proposal to changes to Section II I suggested that if one of the elected members is unable to vote for whatever reason (their own referral etc.) then Hex would become that third member in the discussion, with the tie-breaking vote.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Seems reasonable to me.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast