Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Unlocking RomeTW Hardcoded Limits - Memory Editing

Default Re: Unlocking RomeTW Hardcoded Limits - Memory Editing

We know of him and of M2TW's project. We are collaborating at the moment

The Unknown General's Avatar Centenarius

Would it be possible to change the recruitment system like M2TW's? Honestly if I could recruit multiple units in a turn, Rome would be my favorite Total War game. It just so frustrating how slow building a army is, even with using three cities.
    Last edited by The Unknown General; May 28, 2014 at 07:06 PM.

Wonderful News! Now we can have bigger Units which most of our hardware can handle now. But one thing to change is the Hardcoded Cultural penalty distance which was a pain for the larger maps.

One other thing I don't know if you planned, how about Battle Map sizes, they are limited in size by hardcode and yet the custom maps are larger, this would help a lot for RTW.

I hope this really works out on unit sizes and features like EDU and DMB File limits in RTW.
    Last edited by lt1956; May 24, 2014 at 09:20 PM.
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

webbird's Avatar Senator

sounds very interesting! best of success for this project!

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

This certainly gives me the urge to dust off the ole' mod files, perhaps one day. Very exciting news guys and great work.

My only question is, and it may have been answered and I missed it, but are you also going to be able to increase the map size and land to water ratios? That was one of the biggest hassles I recall having when I was working as a mapper.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Limits broken? RomeTW refreshed?
    Everything is proceeding as I have not foreseen.
    Strange things happen. Absolutely amazing news.
    Keep it up.

You are doing the easy stuff now.........I'm waiting to be able to build my own cities on the map like in Caesar IV..........muahaha !!

zimm out

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

You can already build your own cities, just takes a lot of coding and modeling.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

great news indeed! you guys have just come to my rescue mod-wise!

I do have some questions:

1- how would a shotgun effect for a given missile (both amount of objects/scatter cone) be best achieved? I've always needed a way to simulate canister for the mod I'm working on. All previous attempts have been unsatisfying.

2-in previous (unsuccessful) attempts at this very thing you have succeeded in (lack of sufficient skill in this), I noticed something about "hollow_square" and "entrenched" in the executable. trying out the former did not cause a CTD, but did nothing special. the latter I'm not sure what it is meant for. if possible, may you take to the time to look into them? I'm sure it's because of the way the thing was opened that I saw them, so I might be mistaken.

3-would it theoretically be possible to implement a "phalanx like" deal for missile units by use of the phalanx itself with direct modifications? specifically with regards to the animations: a version of this that makes people kneel in the front rank as they fire would be most useful, but otherwise have no other features of the phalanx

4-since you're cooperating with a similar project for M2TW, is there the possibility that you'll introduce M2TW abilities to the RTW-AlX/BI engines? stakes, coracle fire, and lance recharge would be most useful here.

5-finally, what program do you guys use to accomplish what you have so far? can it be obtained for free, or does it cost money?

bear in mind, I understand that there is a shortage of coders, so I'm not expecting a product anytime soon, or even these to be looked into at all. I'd volunteer, but I'm a slow learner for programming (unlike Geology), and I suspect I lack the tools to do this.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Lets keep it simple Increased Size for Units, Larger battlefield maps would be a HUGE plus, the rest is Gravy, you guys do know that they may be able to add Sea battles back in the game!
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yeah, Hannibalcaesar did it on ALEX.exe for IBUR but it was buggy. Would love to be able to do Naval battles properly.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

If anyone has asked this, point me to it but how did you guys manage to increase the region limit and how are you implementing this into the game? Are you going to release a mod with more regions?

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    If anyone has asked this, point me to it but how did you guys manage to increase the region limit and how are you implementing this into the game? Are you going to release a mod with more regions?
    It was done through some memory editing; as to whether we release a mod: wait and see!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramashan View Post
    You can already build your own cities, just takes a lot of coding and modeling.
    LOL good luck to me then

zimm out

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Pompeius Magnus did a custom Rome and custom Constantinople for AODII

Taraphir's Avatar Semisalis

This is an eruption of good news indeed. All people working on this project deserve the communities greatest respect
    and gratitude. NOBODY DOES IT BETTER is flying through my head since I heard about this splendid development.
    Keep on your marvellous work and and don't let anybody stop you. If I could, I would send a German Panzer Division
    to protect you and your project.

I want mile-long phalanxes!

BUT, what I think might be even better would be an investigation into the mysterious variables governing diplomacy.

I try to get everyone to read this:

http://www.priomh.com/Random/RTWDiplomacy.pdf

Diplomacy works fairly well when you're playing on Medium and don't have everyone irrationally hating you and you have some grasp of the variables in play. Perhaps those variables could be further elucidated and even re-calibrated. I.e. how many "Relationship Points" are gained or lost through certain actions, the thresholds for war/peace/alliance, etc.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I'd like to see an expansion of the family tree as well: e.g. Royal marriages with other nations, illegitimate heirs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MacBlain View Post
    I want mile-long phalanxes!

BUT, what I think might be even better would be an investigation into the mysterious variables governing diplomacy.

I try to get everyone to read this:

http://www.priomh.com/Random/RTWDiplomacy.pdf

Diplomacy works fairly well when you're playing on Medium and don't have everyone irrationally hating you and you have some grasp of the variables in play. Perhaps those variables could be further elucidated and even re-calibrated. I.e. how many "Relationship Points" are gained or lost through certain actions, the thresholds for war/peace/alliance, etc.
    MacBlain, I hope you don't mind if we take that link and use it for development? We will eventually discuss what difficulty level we should focus on for BEST balance and gameplay.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Would it be possible to use this to scale down details whilst increasing unit size? It would be awesome if it was possible to create 100 000-men battles and if most unit details could be removed it should be possible.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!