Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome II Total Realism - Beta Feedback and Suggestions

Barune's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Rome II Total Realism - Beta Feedback and Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Interesting idea and agree it sounds great. However in my case I had fleet in Epidamnos which was recently captured, couldn't recruit there (understandably) so I sailed to Brindisi where public order was 100 and I still couldn't recruit there...feature may be bugged or something?
    Not 100% on this, but it could take a turn to reset the script if its done by script. Did you try recruiting at Brindisi for more then that turn?

So I fired up Carthage campaign. I noticed that you've replaced 'client states' with satrapies (renamed to 'client kingdoms), at least for Carthage. But it still starts with Libya and Nova Carthago as client states (not satrapies). This may well also be true of other factions that start with client states, assuming you've universally done away with client states in favor of satrapies. Just thought I'd mention it, in case it's not intentional.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Barune View Post
    Not 100% on this, but it could take a turn to reset the script if its done by script. Did you try recruiting at Brindisi for more then that turn?
    Yes for several (five or so) turns.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by JObadiah View Post
    So I fired up Carthage campaign. I noticed that you've replaced 'client states' with satrapies (renamed to 'client kingdoms), at least for Carthage. But it still starts with Libya and Nova Carthago as client states (not satrapies). This may well also be true of other factions that start with client states, assuming you've universally done away with client states in favor of satrapies. Just thought I'd mention it, in case it's not intentional.
    Yeah. We did not change the startpos diplomatic position for the core campaign so their diplomatic situation at the start will be as vanilla mostly. However Roman, Greek and Carthage are now only able to create satrapies (Client Kingdom) and we have disabled the client state function. As the core pack is mostly to introduce our campaigns and battle features we did not put much changes to startpos as we're trying to make save games compatible as long as possible. Once we're satisfied (and no more new faction DLC from CA which need us to rework the startpos again ) we'll redo the the core campaign (272bc) by the time we're ready to release CCXVIII campaign.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Reasonable. Understood.

Wundwolf's Avatar Tiro

In my current roman campaign none of the xp-bonuses given by training buildings and Mars temples apply to freshly recruited units.
    The effects appear in the building tooltip. The other bonuses to morale, attack and defense however are working. Is this intended?
    If not, could it be caused by altered unit classes or experience triggers?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Wundwolf View Post
    In my current roman campaign none of the xp-bonuses given by training buildings and Mars temples apply to freshly recruited units.
    The effects appear in the building tooltip. The other bonuses to morale, attack and defense however are working. Is this intended?
    If not, could it be caused by altered unit classes or experience triggers?
    As of now it's better to ignore the tooltip first as they're referenced to vanilla game. We did make changes during earlier development but due to constant patches previous which most of the time make us rework stuff all over again we decided to ignore that at the moment. This is also due to we are still making changes and tweak for the stats and bonus etc so we'll wait until we're done with that before updating the tooltips, descriptions etc.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Wundwolf's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by ^OvO^ View Post
    As of now it's better to ignore the tooltip first as they're referenced to vanilla game. We did make changes during earlier development but due to constant patches previous which most of the time make us rework stuff all over again we decided to ignore that at the moment. This is also due to we are still making changes and tweak for the stats and bonus etc so we'll wait until we're done with that before updating the tooltips, descriptions etc.
    The values I am referring to are also present in the building effects junction table. The other effects are working, so i presume your effects table isnt overriden by the vanilla one.

experience effects were changed. You wont get any free experience for new units.. we have compensated it with bonuses to generals traits, which makes all units in army gain experience faster, which is more realistic, than disbanding existing units and "recruiting more experienced" ones

Wundwolf's Avatar Tiro

Thanks for replying JAM. Thats what I wanted to hear. I'll opt for different buildings as theyre not making sense anymore.
    But your changes are for the better, I like how the overall gameplay is working.

I find the campaign to become extremely easy late game. Would be good to get rid of some of that intimidation of a big empire for more conflict. As Rome the 3 big factions around me are Pontus Seleucid and Carthage. They wont declare war and will sue me for peace rather fast if i declare on them paying me alot of money. Also noone else seems to grow as fast as i have so i think late game could use a serious look at it.
    Following on from that Agents age too fast and Forced march should go further imo. It takes too long to move units over land and sea. Normal movement is fine though.
    This was all tested on legendary

As an epirus campaign i found that in easy battles i should easily win my phalanx were not valued very much in the autoresolve thus requiring me to fight the battle. This can be quite tedious.
    Other than that loving the mod and especially the early game

guys, AI was not changed so far. What you experiencing is vanilla AI behavior. We will make our own CAI changes, but right now it is not a priority due to constant CA patches.

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    guys, AI was not changed so far. What you experiencing is vanilla AI behavior. We will make our own CAI changes, but right now it is not a priority due to constant CA patches.
    can you do things like make the seige ai not funnel into a gate or make sealocked ai like the brittons invade europe?

Elta's Avatar Tiro

Great mod so far! I love what you have done and really appreciate it, I'll even donate some steam gift cards to you guys in the future when i am not so broke

Custom battle concerns: You have units sort of double listed, one version of your modified Triarii, and the Vanilla ones etc. I am not sure if it is possible to edit the units available in custom battles, but it would be cool if only R2TR.

I love how realistic the routing and casualties are, I've read in a lot of places that 10 to 25% death rate in battle was average in this time period and this mod very accurately shows that.

Is it possible to edit the cost of units in custom battles? I would love to start up a R2TR custom battle league. But, the recruitment cost are a little lopsided. For example, I know that Praetorian Guardsmen should not be insanely better than say Hastati (as they are in Vanilla) however, I don't think they should cost 4 times a much any more either. Although, with rules we can sort this sort of thing out, but if it could be coded in, that is nice too.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Elta View Post
    Great mod so far! I love what you have done and really appreciate it, I'll even donate some steam gift cards to you guys in the future when i am not so broke

Custom battle concerns: You have units sort of double listed, one version of your modified Triarii, and the Vanilla ones etc. I am not sure if it is possible to edit the units available in custom battles, but it would be cool if only R2TR.
    For the next update we will slowly replace vanilla units with our units, at least for the custom battle (to change the the new units in the campaign will render most save games incompatible).

Thank you for finally making TWR2 playable. Until the current farce the TW series were my favourite games (being an original STW buyer way back) and I pre-ordered R2 soon as I heard about it. I was heartbroken to see the final product. Totally put off by their current release I have intentionally stayed away, checking every month or so for any good news. Anyway... how happy was I to finally see TR for R2!? I was a BIG fan of that original mod too.Thank you for finally making this game playable!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

May I now ask some questions and make a few suggestions? =o)In no particular order...

1. Can you make liberate convert faction into client not military ally? If you guys disagree, no biggie. Just personal choice. Can you please point me in the direction how to change this? I have some experience in editing the files.

2. Run/walk speeds still too fast! Far too fast. Especially cavalry. They look like they are gliding on ice. I'd like to decrease them by about 30-50% at least!

3. Agents are still too powerful. Destroying buildings and other major events? What evidence is there in the ancient world for any of this? I have experienced one agent destroy 6 buildings! Another one killed 100s of my men, even while they were with another agent. Too silly and way OP, not to mention, totally unrealistic in IMO.

4. Front kill rates slower. Only fast kill rates when attacked from behind or sides? But the current rate is decent and many times better than vanilla.

5. Strangely, replenish rates are higher in an ally or regclient regions than my own?

6. Rebel armies too large, high quality and high veterancy? 3 silver stars and most high value units. Is this a game mechanic?

7. Slaves. Please reduce the negative effect of slaves and increase their economic effect. Roman had 1000s time more slaves than citizen and, apart from a few revolts over several 100 years, it was stable. Plus they had a very high effect on the economy.

8. How do I increase the garrison numbers even further? I play with 80 units per army and the current garrison size looks a little puny when compared. I’d like to x3 or x4 the garrison size so that they will present a much harder obstacle. Still lots of low value units and only 1 or 2 better ones. Any pointers on the best way for my to edit this?

9. Love! Navy new rules. =o) I have taken 8 proper warships and beaten 20 or more transports. Finally a proper navy actually means something! Thank you!

10. Please consider adding removing most special/magic abilities. Who has time for this special shot or that special stance. Leave just the basics (testudo, shieldwall and so on) or make them permanent.

11. Remove all formations from most factions. Only Roman, Greek, Carthage should use formations in attack. A good idea and there are some mods for vanilla that already do this.

12. Why 2 turns per year? We now have seasons. I have edited my saved files and I play with 4 turns per year fine. Plus 80 units per army.

Once again, I thank you for your hard work in creating this wonderful mod.

<valete>
    Last edited by dfeal; June 09, 2014 at 04:13 PM.

Elta's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by dfeal View Post

7. Slaves. P. Roman had 1000s time more slaves than citizen
    This is hyperbole right? You don't believe that do you?

Elta's Avatar Tiro

I was defending a town with only a garrison, and used the defensive deployables well, so well that the army that outnumbered me 4 to 1 refused to attack. I don't know why. I just sped the time up to 4X and let the 40 minutes run out. I amnot sure if they declined the attacked after seeing my defensive structures or if they could not find a path into my city square.
    Last edited by Elta; June 10, 2014 at 01:08 PM.

I was defending a town with only a garrison, and used the defensive deployables well, so well that the army that outnumbered me 4 to 1 refused to attack. I don't know why. I just sped the time up to 4X and let the 40 minutes run out. I amnot sure if they declined the attacked after seeing my defensive structures or if they could not find a path into my city square.

actually there are still issues with some city levels, where AI refuses to move. it is not related to deployables being used.. they would not move even without them.. it is a bug

Decanus

I was defending a town with only a garrison, and used the defensive deployables well, so well that the army that outnumbered me 4 to 1 refused to attack. I don't know why. I just sped the time up to 4X and let the 40 minutes run out. I a, not sure if they declined the attacked after seeing my defensive structures or if they could not find a path into my city square.
    I'd like to reiterate that enabling 50 million deployables is really awkward. 1. my unit cards pane doubles to two rows obstructing my view of the game 2. I could literally surround my settlement entirely if I were to use them all, that doesn't seem realistic (all the wood and construction involved indicates probably thousands of hours of manpower I would think) 3. battles aren't necessarily improved by deployables, they can create awkward scenarios where the AI can't figure out a meaningful way of getting around or through them.

I am getting 50 to 60 deployables in my settlement battles, is it a bug? 2 or 3 seems like it would be enough (a well placed stake wall can totally disrupt a dangerous cav charge)

Also, a previous commentator complained that the battle run speeds are still too high. I agree, especially when it comes to skirmishers and cavalry. Realism would indeed depict real flesh burdened by heavy metals, wooden implements and difficult terrain moreso than is reflected in the current state of the battle mod, I think. Battles look and feel a hell of a lot more realistic than do vanilla ones but I would argue the physics need to be tweaked to depict the weight of gravity moreso, ie: cavalry should have a more obvious delay before reaching speed to reflect acceleration infantry turning speeds could be slowed down etc...... additionally - soldiers are not only burdened by the weight of their weaponry but also by their own sense of dread in battle. The morale tweaks are certainly depicting this but consider how simply being on the battle field would inspire hesitation and sluggishness in soldiers - well trained, well fed soldiers less so of course.

I was thinking that military costs could be increased substantially in order to make cheaper troops a more realistic option... currently, I can hardly at all justify recruiting hastati or levies because pricipes and velites are really inexpensive considering that I'm drowning in - money so long as a choose wise build options throughout my campaign. The same goes for auxilaries, they're a lower grade troop that I simply can't justify recruiting.

I'll say it again, I absolutely love the new mechanics you guys have introduced - but campaigns are way too easy imo. I'm actually thinking of reducing army size to 15 units maximum and increasing costs so that I am forced to attempt capturing settlements with smaller armies - but I'd rather not submod because I think you guys are perfectly capable of making this mod the best one out there, by a long shot.