Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An EB II AAR: Roma

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: An EB II AAR: Roma

It looks like those Hastati or whatever they are have no pants

Anyways, I love EB2, barely waiting for it. Also, nice AAR here.

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

plz! I CANT WAIT MORE! haha nice AAR.

I dont think they are supposed to have pants hahaha.
    Thats a barbarian "thing".

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

Sweetness

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

Is their a reason for units only having 60 or so men?

(Sorry 4 double post)

They're probably on a smaller unit scale (large or medium).

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

I think he is using medium unit scale.

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Kirila the Kitten View Post
    It looks like those Hastati or whatever they are have no pants

Anyways, I love EB2, barely waiting for it. Also, nice AAR here.
    That's because they don't! Pants was strictly barbarian in this time period, a proud roman would rather die than be catched with pants on

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to
    (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Djordje's Avatar Civis

Long weighted EB 2. Hope, it will be soon over. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    Can you give some "internal" info on this?
    1.Unit scale?
    2.Frame rate?Specs?
    3.Graphics settings

I noticed that the walls of Tarentum are made of wood in battle but strat map has a Stone wall city model.(not final?)

Anyway, this looks amazing.
    I really like the work you guys have done on the models and the in-unit variety.
    I also like the fact that the campaign starts small, no stacks from the beginning and slow pace.Hopefully this is intentional because its very immersive.
    The unit scale is normal. Frame rate is generally around 60fps I think, and I play on high detail (I don't think lower detail is integrated for now, but I could be wrong), but on a lower resolution in windowed mode. Everything goes pretty fast, but my PC is fairly powerful (Intel Core i5-4670, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950).

I just hope and for Antigonus Gonatas will be special picture ,like that for Pyrrhos ,which is fantastic made ...

Quote Originally Posted by AntigonGonat View Post
    I just hope and for Antigonus Gonatas will be special picture ,like that for Pyrrhos ,which is fantastic made ...
    Do you have one you'd like to supply? Doesn't have to be "game-ready".
    EBII Council

Enjoy!

Winter. The year of Gaius Quinctius Claudus and Lucius Genucius Clepsina is near its end.

In Magna Graecia, the praetor Marcus Atilius Regulus prepares the Roman troops to march into the region of Brettia. Manius Valerius Maximus, propraetor, remains in Cantabria to pacify the region, which until recently was loyal to the Epirotes.

To maintain the stranglehold on King Pyrrhus, the Roman envoy Caius Fabius Licinus journeys east in search of allies. The Athenians, considered by some to be the most civilized citizens on earth, eagerly open the Piraeus to Roman traders. If our people remain friends, both King Pyrrhus and King Antigonos should be wary of testing our leniency.

It is the year of the second consulship of Caius Genucius Clepsina and the first of Cnaeus Cornelius Blasio.
    Lucius Cornelius Scipio is elected quaestor, as his brother before him. He is sent out to oversee the Capuan territories instead of receiving a task in Rome. As the city of Capua rebelled against Rome half a century ago, they forfeited much of the surrounding countryside and the right of self-management. Lucius Scipio methodically begins his duty, but under the influence of the Greek colonies in Campania, starts to dress in an un-Roman fashion.

Caius Aurelius Cotta desires more experience and sends a plea to Regulus. With the latter's imperium lengthened beyond his year of office, he happily accepts Cotta back into his service. The young knight ambitiously sets forth from his Campanian estate, journeying towards Rhegium.

Valerius has successfully pacified Tarentum, but discontent still threatens the stability offered by Rome in the region of Calabria. The imperium of Valerius has been prorogated once more, but he desires to make the next step on the cursus honorum. With the great victories in the south, the Quirites must surely recognize his worth for the consulship? But Manius Valerius Maximus is a patient man, and a loyal one. His duties lie in the south for now.

In the region of Brettia, Regulus finally besieges Rhegium at the end of spring. Regulus is determined to quickly eradicate the traitorous Vibellius. Only one punishment is fit for those who have turned their back to Roman might: eradication.

In summer, Caius Aurelius Cotta arrives at the camp of the propraetor, only just in time to participate in the planning of storming the city.

Regulus has constructed a ram, but has no need of it, as an inside man has agreed to open the gates at the arrival of his legions.

Under the cover of heavy fog, the infantry marches on the gates. The hastati go first, followed by the principes and triarii, while the cavalry covers their flanks in the unlikely event of trickery by the degenerate traitors.

Startled by the opening of the gates, the cowardly foe runs to the center of the town, hoping to there stand firm against the might of Rome.

Despite Roman courage, the battle turns into a mutual slaughter.

At the height of battle, a shudder goes through the ranks. The propraetor falls from his horse, mortally wounded. Marcus Atilius Regulus, zealous to punish the traitors to his city, falls in combat, locked in an engagement with the bodyguard of Vibellius himself.

Caius Aurelius Cotta sees command fall into his hands, and grabs it immediately. He boldly takes charge of the legion and prevents the troops from taking flight, but for hours the slaughter continues.

Finally, Decius is slain by the swords of Roman valour, and his brethren run for their lives. No escape is permitted them. They are cut down to the last man.

Furious at the death of Regulus, Cotta orders the town to be sacked. Rome's good name has been restored, and the sacrifice of the noble propraetor shall not be forgotten.

Following the plans laid out by Regulus, Cotta orders the pacification of the region. He has no formal command, but is considered by some to be the true sole victor of the taking of Rhegium.
    Manius Valerius Maximus sends a dispatch to the young knight, commending him for his bravery and quick action. He takes Cotta into his own command, and authorizes his further actions. Furthermore, he sends another letter-carrier to Lucius Cornelius Scipio. He asks the quaestor to oversee the garrison of Tarentum when his duties in Campania come to an end, so he himself can return to Rome.

However, eager to prove his superior worth, Scipio sets out immediately, arriving in autumn. Despite his Greek attire, the Tarentines dislike their new arrogant overseer, who is far less influential than Valerius. They become suspicious of Roman power. Despite the growing discontent, Scipio stays confident he can assure the city’s loyalty.

By wintertime, his methodical approach actually succeeds in attaining deference from the Tarentines and eroding their mistrust. Meanwhile, Brettia has been subdued by the Roman troops, and control is firmly re-established. However, with only two depleted legions holding Magna Graecia with much effort, Rome cannot be deemed truly safe.

As Valerius approaches Rome, he gathers support in the countryside for his upcoming electoral campaign for the consulship.

It is the year of the consulship of Quintus Ogulnius Gallus and Gaius Fabius Pictor, the son of the painter.
    Cnaeus Cornelius Scipio enters the office of curule aedile.

His brother Lucius is enrolled in the lists of the senate, as his quaestorship has now come to an end. His appetite for luxurity begins to take an ever more distinct form, however. After the elections, Valerius enters Rome and starts his two year long campaign for the consulship.
    Under the new tribunes, the plebs graciously votes to accept the cities of Umbria as allies rather than conquered territories. It will take one year, however, before the new allies of the Roman Republic will be able to contribute to the war effort by troops and kind offerings.

Confident in his personal abilities at pacifying the cities of the region, Lucius Scipio sends the majority of the garrisons in Kalabria back home, allowing them to tilt the field in the coming year. Reluctantly, Caius Aurelius Cotta is obliged to do the same.

Cnaeus and Lucius Cornelius Scipio are both granted second sons in autumn and summer, respectively named and Manius and Publius. If their fathers both continue on their path towards excelling all others, the family of the Scipiones is guaranteed a fine future.
    However, as the family rejoices, the Senate is concerned. News has reached the Patres (et)* Conscripti from Sicilia, bearing ill tidings.
    The city of Carthago has dispatched an army to the island to conquer cities laying beyond their current territories. Under the leadership of the general Anno, Phoenician troops are marching along the southern coast. In summer, heated discussion arise over the importance of this campaign, but some senators, supported by the aedile Cnaeus Scipio, warn that the target may very well be the great city of Syracusa. In autumn, the news is unfortunately confirmed.

The King of Siracusa, Hiero the Second, is no ally of the people of Rome. However, with the Mamertines in Messana having equally doubtful loyalty, his enmity with them has proven to be a good distraction towards relieving pressure on the straits of Messana. The capture of these rich lands, let alone the mighty city itself, would forever disturb the balance in the region, with Carthaginian supremacy nearly guaranteed. Once more, fierce debates fill the meeting places of the Senate. When a formal request for help from the Roman people by Hiero is finally received, two camps form. Cnaeus Cornelius Scipio leads one, which professes immediate war with the Phoenicians. The freedom of these cities against foreign subjugation, his argument goes, is the paramount duty of the People of Rome. Even if his faction is a minority, Scipio stubbornly refers to his being right previously: the insight of the few is a greater weapon than the idleness of many. Against him, Manius Valerius Maximus professes caution. It would be foolish to incur the enmity of so great an empire, he claims, while the cities in the south remain rebellious. Valerius asks the senate to send Caius Fabius Licinius, who was an envoy to King Pyrrhus, to Africa, to deal with the Carthaginians themselves and seek friendship or at least acquiescence. Influenced by Scipio, the senate adds one caveat: if they refuse to abandon the siege, their friendship with the Senate and People of Rome shall be terminated.

However, before the Roman envoy reaches the mighty colony of Tyrus, King Hiero decides to act himself.

Bravely, the Greek repels the Phoenician soldiers from his walls. Elated, the senate congratulates Valerius on his prudence. Scipio, however, continues to advise war. In a speech, he proclaims that the Carthaginians have shown their true designs: rule over all of the known world. It is Rome's duty, he reiterates, to protect our allies and the free peoples of these regions from such imperialistic ambitions. Valerius assures Scipio that attacks should not be allowed, but questions his own ambitions at expansion. The Senate agrees to warn the Carthaginians against further aggressions.

It is the year of the consulship of Appius Claudius Russus and Publius Sempronius Sophus.
    Caius Fabius Licinius has reached the city of Carthago, and communicates the Roman demand for reparations for the attack on Siracusa. Furthermore, he requests insight in all of Carthago's plans in the region.

Unfortunately, the Phoenicians reject this fair proposal, and even dare to demand from the Romans a compensation for the use of their ports. Licinius circumvents this insult, but warns the Carthaginians that, should they once again attack any city in Sicilia, Rome shall be obliged to defend their interests.
    Taken aback by recent events, the Senate votes funds towards constructing new fleets in Brundisium and Paestum. Valerius agrees fully: it is prudent to prepare for war, even if one does not desire it. Furthermore, two Roman legions are raised and stationed at Cumae.

However, it seems that preparations for war are already late. Word reaches Rome that Anno has raised yet another army and marches forth in Sicilia.

This is one step too far, everyone now agrees. It is only a matter of time before the Punic general tries to conquer new cities. Unanimously, the senate votes that the cities in Sicilia which are now free from foreign rule should be defended, and the Plebs later affirm this sentiment. The legions are sent further south, to the fleet at Paestum. Although Valerius now agrees to war, Cnaeus Scipio still blames him for his former opinion.

In the late Summer months, Anno has neared Siracusa once more. As the consular year is nearing its end, the Roman troops must await a new general. They are shipped to Rhegium, and placed under the provisional command of Caius Aurelius Cotta. The young knight, even if he has not yet been elected to a magistracy, has proven to be able to command troops in the service of other commanders. In Rhegium, the troops will await a new general.

In winter, Anno starts the second siege of Siracusa. In Rome, the order is given to recruit two additional legions. We shall need every able-bodied man when war is declared!

It is the year of the consulship of Manius Valerius Maximus and Lucius Iulius Libo.
    With Valerius elected consul, he is chosen to command the legions agains the Phoenician foes. With him, he takes a strong young man of noble birth, a scion of a lesser branch of the gens Claudia, Titus Claudius Marcellus.

Together with the two fresh legions of Roman citizens, they board the ships requisitioned at Ostia. They set sail for the coast of Sicilia, and the allied regiments are ordered to advance along the coast.

The consul sends a dispatch to Caius Aurelius Cotta, who is enrolled among his officers, to ship the legions in Rhegium across the straits of Messana and besiege the town. After all, the Mamertines could very well support the Carthaginians if that would serve their interests. They previously took over an independent city, and are to be considered renegades who could very well threaten the back of the Roman forces.

Meanwhile, grave news reaches Valerius from Siracusa. Anno has taken the city and has displayed the head of King Hiero above the city gates. This crime cannot go unpunished. This means war between our people!

*Subject of discussion.

By the way, I should note that everything is changing daily, and some stuff (traits, attributes) are being reworked. An example is the foreign tastes trait, which I have maintained as a picture anyway. You shall see some stuff which is already outdated in this AAR, because I don't want to change builds in order to maintain savegame stability (for now).

You should remove the land bridge from Rhegium across the straits of Messana. Having visited there I can tell you. It would not have been that easy.

One thing that has been "bugging" me, you guys still dont have the right shield animation? I mean without the roman troops carrying the shield almost horizontally (some are carrying it like that while others arent from those pics)

But it looks great!
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Magnifique!

Great AAR. The game looks so finished. Can't wait for it to come out.
    The game.

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The event text needs to be changed to be made darker. It burns my eyes just trying to decipher what it's saying.

Good to see this mod finally coming to a close. Didn't think we'd ever get here in all honesty lol. Good AAR too!
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    Do you have one you'd like to supply? Doesn't have to be "game-ready".
    Actually I have three,but I have no idea how to upload on post....one is based of Philip II faces( with scar on his eye,good for some Macedonian family membes),one is good for Demetrius Aetolicus,and this on avatar for Antigonus.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast