Thread: CPU upgrade

Vitez's Avatar Miles

Icon5 CPU upgrade

Hey guys!

I wish to ask you here for advice.

I will upgrade my cpu in autumn and idk which one to go for.

Currently I have core i7 920 2.6 ghz that i bought in september 2009.

I have gtx 770 and 12 gb of ram so i only need new cpu and mother and power maybe.

I thought of going for PROCESOR AMD FX X8 8350 BOX, S. AM3+, 4.0GHZ, 16MB CACHE, EIGHT CORE

http://www.portio.hr/index.php?page=artikl&id=8884265

but idk if the performance will be better than mine 920???

or should I go for PROCESOR INTEL CORE I7 4930K EXTREME EDITION BOX, S. 2011, 3.4GHZ, 12MB, SIX CORE WITHOUT COOLER

http://www.portio.hr/index.php?page=...d=999000104487

but as you can see its a big difference in price.

I WANT TO HAVE 10000 MEN ON BATTLEFIELD WITH 50 FPS

Please advice me!

IDK which to go for AMD or INTEL cpu's.

Thanks in advance!

♔KillZoneGB♔'s Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: CPU upgrade

I love my 4820K workstation and all its 40 PCIe lanes
    System
    Processor: i7 4820K Ivy E @ 4.4Ghz (Mild OC), MB Sabertooth X79
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16GB DDR3-1600 Dual Kit (TBA to 64GB Quad 8X8GB)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX 670 Phantom (TBA SLI Nvida xxx)
    Water Cooled

Why don't you try overclocking it? http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/gu...-930-to-4-0ghz

Get a better CPU Cooler if you already don't have one, and overclock it. Some even managed til 4.0 GHz.

There are even video guides if you want to try.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F24D7EZuZB4
    Last edited by ElvenKind; May 17, 2014 at 08:47 AM.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Yeah i have i7 920@3.8 Ghz as well and i get a +4 fps when OCed in Rome 2 so not really worth it when the GPU which is R9 280x is already giving me a stable 60+ fps.

You're better off purchasing a haswell, Rome 2 extreme settings even has a mention of it in one setting, so the game is tested and played on that by the devs. But Intel processors are expensive in comparison to AMD ones and i'm not sure you wanna spend that amount to have a little gain in few games.

But i would suggest you wait till December.

Crazyeyesreaper's Avatar Primicerius
    Citizen

For total War games the FX8350 would be an upgrade over the I7 920 but a minor one at that.

Go haswell or go home.

4670K is around $200
    entry lvl OC friendly Z87 motherboard can be had for $130

Performance in games will be better than either of the two chips you selected and at much lower cost.
    CPU: i7 3770K 4.6GHz / i7 4930K 4.4 GHz / i7 4770K 4.6 GHz
    CPU HSF: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro / Review Samples / Review Samples
    MOBO: Biostar TZ77XE4 / ASRock X79 Fatal1ty Champion / MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
    RAM: Mushkin Redlines 2x4GB 1866 MHz / 4x4GB Gskill 2133 MHz / 2x4GB Kingston 2400 MHz
    GPU: Integrated / GTX 780 / HD 5450 Passive
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050w 80+ GOLD / NZXT Hale82 650w Modular / same
    CASE: Nanoxia DS1 / Nanoxia DS1 / Lian Li Test Bench
    HDD: 160 HDD / 512GB SSD + 120GB SSD + 5.5TB HDD / 60gb SSD

Vitez's Avatar Miles

whats a haswell???

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

I just replaced my i7 920 (only ever achieved 3.5GHz on air) with the 4670k, which I'm running stock for the time being. The i7 920 still crushed everything I tossed at it but I wanted some power/heat savings. And that build was approaching 6 years old. But that is bang for the buck longevity - and you can still run that 1366 build without the feeling of needing to upgrade in the area of performance.

That said, with what I was able to get for the CPU and mobo on eBay, the upgrade to 1150 cost me a measly $150. 1366 components still bring some decent return. Especially the motherboards.

The 4670k is $180 at Microcenter (if you live in the US) and I bought a Z97 board for $145. Which I would highly recommend over Z87, at this point. See if Broadwell is anything revolutionary.

The games I am playing right now (World of Tanks and War Thunder) saw fairly significant increases in frame rate. WOT especially, where I see a 30 fps increase. The single-core performance on the 4670k is beastly when compared to the 920. And now I can finally take advantage of SATA III, PCI-e 3.0, etc, etc.

Well worth the $150. You can recycle your triple channel ram kit by using them in dual channel, with one as a backup. I went from 12gb down to 8gb. No problem.
    Last edited by mrmouth; May 26, 2014 at 06:40 PM.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Vitez's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by mrmouth View Post
    I just replaced my i7 920 (only ever achieved 3.5GHz on air) with the 4670k, which I'm running stock for the time being. The i7 920 still crushed everything I tossed at it but I wanted some power/heat savings. And that build was approaching 6 years old. But that is bang for the buck longevity - and you can still run that 1366 build without the feeling of needing to upgrade in the area of performance.

That said, with what I was able to get for the CPU and mobo on eBay, the upgrade to 1150 cost me a measly $150. 1366 components still bring some decent return. Especially the motherboards.

The 4670k is $180 at Microcenter (if you live in the US) and I bought a Z97 board for $145. Which I would highly recommend over Z87, at this point. See if Broadwell is anything revolutionary.

The games I am playing right now (World of Tanks and War Thunder) saw fairly significant increases in frame rate. WOT especially, where I see a 30 fps increase. The single-core performance on the 4670k is beastly when compared to the 920. And now I can finally take advantage of SATA III, PCI-e 3.0, etc, etc.

Well worth the $150. You can recycle your triple channel ram kit by using them in dual channel, with one as a backup. I went from 12gb down to 8gb. No problem.

Tnx for reply dude!

I also play wot and wt