View Poll Results: Who do you think will win this years World Cup?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brazil

16 9.82%
  • Croatia

3 1.84%
  • Mexico

1 0.61%
  • Cameroon

0 0%
  • Spain

4 2.45%
  • Netherlands

21 12.88%
  • Chile

2 1.23%
  • Australia

0 0%
  • Colombia

2 1.23%
  • Ivory Coast

0 0%
  • Greece

6 3.68%
  • Japan

1 0.61%
  • Uruguay

3 1.84%
  • Costa Rica

2 1.23%
  • England

6 3.68%
  • Italy

6 3.68%
  • Switzerland

0 0%
  • Ecuador

0 0%
  • France

3 1.84%
  • Honduras

0 0%
  • Argentina

12 7.36%
  • Bosnia

1 0.61%
  • Iran

1 0.61%
  • Nigeria

0 0%
  • Germany

55 33.74%
  • Portugal

4 2.45%
  • Ghana

0 0%
  • U.S.A.

6 3.68%
  • Belgium

3 1.84%
  • Algeria

1 0.61%
  • Russia

1 0.61%
  • South Korea

3 1.84%
Page 78 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2853686970717273747576777879808182838485868788103 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 2464

Thread: World Cup 2014, Brazil

Default Re: World Cup 2014, Brazil

Great game, can't belive Belgium risked not going forward after playing like they did.The Americans' team spirit is almost touching.

Quote Originally Posted by Timoleon of Korinthos View Post
    From next game on, can we dispense with the regulation and just start with the extra time?
    Why?The game was great in regular time too.

Quote Originally Posted by empr guy View Post
    I'd say that guy who missed at the end of regular time would be out of a career if the US looses, but then again once the US is out no one will care about soccer anymore so meh

I think the ball had a odd bounce and that messed with his kick, also Courtois; his movement made the American striker attempt to touch the ball with the inside of the shoe, not the top of the foot.The Belgian GK understands a play 1/2 seconds before than most GKs, this is decisive for him to get in the best position possibile.Considering he is also great at everything else, he is probably the best GK in the world today.

the US could have won that match but their finishing failed them, most of Belgium's players have been finely honed by much better leagues and it showed. pretty spirited fight though and nice goal. the lineup should have included Donovan, i don't know what happened there.

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Lol, did Argentina really go to overtime with ing SWITZERLAND? How disappointing. If they can't beat by a large margin a team that plays with all their players in the defensive side of the field, I wonder how they will beat Belgium (but they will ). At least they won. Can't say the same thing about poor USA. But I had no feelings for neither of the teams on that match, so whatever.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

Yeah... "dramatic"

LOL

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
    Yeah... "dramatic"

*videos that don't work*

LOL
    Ah, man, that's part of the fun. I don't think you see going down like that in UEFA, they're all a bunch of pussies. Sudamerica for the win.

But seriously, I've experienced some pretty dramatic matches when my team (Inter) was playing. The final in 2010 against Chivas got me nervous as .

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

I'll just leave this here...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I was going to post that I hate Rin Tin Tin, Jean Claude Van Dam and the Smurfs but its really just 1 of those things.
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    I'll just leave this here...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    30 shots on goal, but the USA had superman between the posts, that guy was a beast

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio Afracanis View Post
    I was going to post that I hate Rin Tin Tin, Jean Claude Van Dam and the Smurfs but its really just 1 of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Macunaíma View Post
    Ah, man, that's part of the fun. I don't think you see going down like that in UEFA, they're all a bunch of pussies. Sudamerica for the win.

But seriously, I've experienced some pretty dramatic matches when my team (Inter) was playing. The final in 2010 against Chivas got me nervous as .
    Chivas always get me nervous

Quote Originally Posted by Acco View Post
    The US was third place in the 1930 (inaugural) World Cup.
    No they were 4th, Yugoslavia was 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    No they were 4th, Yugoslavia was 3rd.
    I've read that some official committee determined that the US came in third. But I also read some descendant of someone who played in the final had a bronze medal as proof of finishing third. However, I also read that both teams were given a bronze medal, so I am not sure that is proof of anything. It is also my understanding that Yugoslavia claimed to be third on the fact the team they lost to, Uruguay, won the tournament. They also refused to play the 3rd place match because they were unhappy with the officiating in the semifinal. For me, that's an underhanded way to get third place. I find it unlikely they can refuse the match and still get sole third place. BTW, regardless, officially the US is listed as finishing 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I've read that some official committee determined that the US came in third. But I also read some descendant of someone who played in the final had a bronze medal as proof of finishing third. However, I also read that both teams were given a bronze medal, so I am not sure that is proof of anything. It is also my understanding that Yugoslavia claimed to be third on the fact the team they lost to, Uruguay, won the tournament. They also refused to play the 3rd place match because they were unhappy with the officiating in the semifinal. For me, that's an underhanded way to get third place. I find it unlikely they can refuse the match and still get sole third place. BTW, regardless, officially the US is listed as finishing 3rd.
    I just looked it up and it seems the US are considered third because they had a better goal difference than Yugoslavia (7/6 compared to 7/7 with each two wins and one loss).

Read my AARs:
    The Legacy of Megas Alexandros (Europa Barbarorum as Arche Seleukeia)
    The Prodigal Son (Shogun 2 as Mori)
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Third place play off didn't existed in that time. So either both USA and Yugoslavia are 4th or both of them are 3rd.
    However here are articles with pictures of bronoze medal Yugoslavia won
    http://www.blic.rs/Vesti/Reportaza/1...-iz-Montevidea
    http://www.politika.rs/rubrike/Sport...dijalu.sr.html

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

That, .......................... hilarious.
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Another great game. US gave a good account of themselves and Belgium is starting to show what we all expected from them. Fits nicely with the rest of the tournament. It seems the underdogs at the very least are giving the favourites a very hard battle. I cannot recall a tournament where matches have been contested so fiercely. The favourites seem to be edging it now, but only just and not without a scare here and there. Not sure there are any real favourites left now. You'd not expect Costa Rica to go on and win three more games, but the other 7 all have a realistic chance I think. Hoping for Holland v Belgium in the semis, and for the winner to take the title
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Personally I think Argentina can be bested, I wasn't impressed by them so far this tournament, sure, Messi and De maria are exceptional, but other than that?

^Amazing picture could you find me wallpaper size, like 1024x1280?

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Belgium are too inexperienced to beat Argentina.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    ^Amazing picture could you find me wallpaper size, like 1024x1280?
    don't know, it was on my facebook feed

EDIT, this is the original picture, if you have the skill you can re photoshop Kompany and Messi's heads back in:

http://politikus.ru/uploads/posts/20..._651229827.jpg
    Last edited by sabaku_no_gaara; July 02, 2014 at 09:32 AM.