Thread: Your favourite Middle-earth story

Default Your favourite Middle-earth story

What about posting our favourite Middle Earth storys?

May they be original J.R.R. Tolkine stories, P.J. films or otherwise.

One of my favourite books is the "The Children of Hurin". I can't even remember en detail what it was about. But I know, that reading it, influenced my life very much.

Nilyion Landuvalin's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Your favourite Middle Earth story

MyFavorite Book: The Silmarillion. I read it 3 times. Sorry for my English.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Book of Lost Tales 2 for me, especially the fall of Gondolin. The battle of Minas Tirith in Return of the King comes a close second.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

It's in the name

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Hmmm, quite a difficult question… I like it all but up-close and personal feel of the LOTR is something special. You can almost feel desperation of the situation The Fellowship is in.

Special place for me has the Battle of the Helm’s Deep and Frodo and Sam at the Mount Doom. Well, and the Pelennor Fields and… Plus, there are all the background information that makes the world even more vivid. Silmarillion has epic stories, true; but the way they are written – like a history book, makes them (or rather us, readers) somewhat devoid of deeper insight that we get in LOTR.

Up close comes Akallabêth (the fall of Númenor) from the Silmarillion.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

It is Middle-earth, dammit!
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Civis

Heh, nice timing.

I was rooting around in my library and came upon a long forgotten book.
    "Stories of middle-earth" or something (it's title is in swedish, so translation may be completely off based on what translation was first done to swedish etc).
    Any comments on that? Is it worth reading or is it one of those collections of short stories that were given out just to capitalize on the Tolkien name?
    (Thinking of the Frank Herbert's Dune saga, and his greedy kids)

Default Re: Your favourite Middle-earth story

Stories of Middle-earth doesn’t ring a bell. It might be Unfinished Tales (of Númenor and Middle-earth).

If so, it’s a very good book, definitely worth reading if you want to know more about Tuor, Galadriel and Celeborn, Númenor, Istari, Palantíri, Drúedain, the backstory behind Hobbit and so on… Narn i Hîn Húrin part of the book is basically the same as the standalone The Children of Húrin, so if you have read it you may skip that part. If you haven’t - great, you have two books for the price of one!

The Children of Hurin, story about Turin Turambar.
    Last edited by Lanciarius_90; May 14, 2014 at 01:32 PM.

The Hobbit! A well-written children's book, with all the wonders and horrors of a well-written children's book, with the shadows of a huge, magical, unexplored world beyond its scope, with a fine humor, a brave melancholy and a wise innocence to it.
    My favourite parts are Beorn, Bilbo's fight with the spiders and, of course, of course, Riddles in the Dark.

Let's just, like, not talk about the films. (Unless maybe about the parts with more del Toro than Jackson to them. Maybe.)

I like The Hobbit and the Fellowship of the Ring a lot lately.

Actually, though, some of my favorite stories are from the appendices. That's where you hear about some of the early history of Gondor and the Northmen of Rhovanion. Great stuff!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...