Thread: Reccomended Ancient Soldier Books

guess4762remix

ok i just got "the Battle that stopeed rome" from border, and i cant tell u its an easy great informative book abou this germanic soldier and how he experienced (some fiction some non-fiction)t the battle of tuetorbig forest, so does Any 1 know any other books that follow the life of a regular roman legionaire, greek hoplite, gaulic warrior, etc etc (as long as they are ancient soldiers) thanks you.

KingLeonidas33

Well Stephen Pressfields "The Gates of Fire" Does follow the Spartan Soldiers through the battle of Thermopylae, and i'd highly recommend it

Petronius's Avatar Biarchus

The Roman Army At War, 100 BC - AD 200 by Dr (in Classical Studies) Adrian Keith Goldsworthy.

Probably one of the best books on the post marian army that I've ever read, it focuses mainly on actual battlefield confrontation, rather than the Army in peacetime as most other books on the subject do. Goldsworthy really takes into account the training of the troops, prior engagements, equipment, tactics and most importantly morale!

Has given me tons of insight on how ancient armies fought and why the Roman's army was so good (it's flexibility).

Tempus fugit, et nos fugimus in illus. (Time flies and we fly with it.)

-Publius Ovidius Naso

guess4762remix

wow cool man ill check that out

Civitate

In my view Goldsworthy's first real book is his finest (the one mentioned above), particularly the areas which describe individual fighting habits of soldiers. It helped me alot during my essays - getting into a Roman soldiers mindset and imagining determinable factors such as fear, physicality and leadership.

Please also check out Victor Hanson's books, along with Goldsworthy he is probably the finest living thinking military scholar today. In particular, he deals with the Greek aspect of warfare very well.

May I recommend:

V.D.Hanson Hoplites, 1991.
    V.D.Hanson, Warfare and Agriculture in Classical Greece. 1998

Not in the slightest bit fictional, but very enlightning of the whole process of Greek Warfare and those who fought during it.
    Under the patronage of the Great GodEmperor Nicholas. Fallen Triumvir - Departed since 28-05-2005.

'Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.' - Herman Goering

In Vino Veritas - 'In wine there is truth'
    Patron of: Aves, Arcaliea

Check out the new subforum

HERE

A man's worth is no greater than the worth of his ambitions."
    - Marcus Aurelius

<span style='color:red'>El Siblesz es mi patrón</span>

Check out TWC's new Historic Arts and Literature Subforum

moved.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

I read, The Ten Thousand, and I thought that was a good book, worth a read.
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

Xeres2665's Avatar Ordinarius

I just finished "Legion" by William Altimari - VERY good book highly suggest you guys read it

Originally posted by stalhandske@Sep 15 2004, 03:59 AM
    Here is answer to your needs

Osprey military history books
    I agree with that... unless you wonna go deeper the Osprey books are pretty well made, full of picture and drawings, quite easy to ready.

THey are very usefull when it comes to Battles. I have the Battle of Lepanto...pretty nice with nice 3D maps and good battle plans.
    highly recommended

Mehmed II's Avatar Vicarius

The only battle you can brag about in the middle ages, isn&#39;t it S.p.q.r?

Invoker's Avatar Philosopher-King

I&#39;m busy reading Stephen Dando-Collins&#39; Caesar&#39;s Legion: The Epic Saga of Julius Caesar&#39;s Elite Tenth Legion and the Armies of Rome. Its entertaining and you really gain a perspective of how brilliant Caesar was. I&#39;d recommend it whole heartedly.
    Servant in the House of Siblesz under the Patronage of the fallen Crandar.

Anabasis is good. Not really the regular life but is great for fighting methods and organisation.

Well I liked it. Old but Good
    Souvent femme varie, bien fol est qui s'y fie - Francis I
    Often does a woman change, and very foolish is he who trusts her - Francis I

Bill Altimari

Originally posted by Xeres2665@Sep 19 2004, 08:41 PM
    I just finished "Legion" by William Altimari - VERY good book highly suggest you guys read it

Xeres, thanks for the boost&#33;

Bill Altimari

The Virtues of War : A Novel of Alexander the Great by Steven Pressfield

Fresh out of the bookstores. Just finished reading it. Amazing book.

Hellenic Air Force - Death, Destruction and Mayhem!

Caesar&#39;s legion : the epic saga of Julius Caesar&#39;s elite Tenth Legion and the armies of Rome

by

Stephen Dando-Collins

Very interesting book about Legio X.

I would recommend Vegetius&#39; text on Roman military tactics. I have a copy, but you can easily find one online (no copyrights).

I know that it isn&#39;t a "story" book, but it is extremely interesting and I couldn&#39;t stop reading it.

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Osprey books, but Plutarch, Cesar, Thucydides, and other classical authors provide invaluable accounts, even if not totally objective , plus they are engrossing reads, imho .