Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Office of the First Minister of the Empire

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default The Office of the First Minister of the Empire

First Minister - The Head of Government and responsible for daily administration of the Empire. Sits as the Chairman of the Grand Assembly and may summon or dismiss it to discuss any issue he deems fit, but cannot himself alter the composition of it. May suspend, for a period of up to 2 years, any Minister or member of the Grand Assembly, for any reason. After the two years, the suspension must be lifted or the Emperor or Grand Assembly must agree to a removal.

Current First Minister: Balthasar Ignatius
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; May 03, 2014 at 03:04 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Default Re: The Office of Balthasar Ignatius, First Minister of the Empire

The click of the Commissar's jackboot echoed down the corridors of Terra, Ibram Gaunt, fresh from the Coronation of his new Imperial Majesty wished to pay a visit upon the second most important man in the Empire. Removing his hat and gloves, the Lord Commissar made his presence known to the Minister's Private Secretary.

"Tell Lord Ignatius that I wish to see him." Gaunt clipped, he wasted no time. Simply holding out his hat now, the gloves within, he waited for the Secretary to take them, and then seated himself in the antechamber, the jackboot tapping the polished floor. Tap, tap, tap.

Citizen

The secretary enters the office of the First Minister which is guarded by four members of the Terran Imperial Guard; two on the outside of the office door while two were located within the office. The secretary comes out and bows her head.

The First Minister will see you now, Commissar Gaunt.

She goes back to her desk as the Commissar is brought in. The First Minister was standing at a window, gazing out of the Imperial Palace upon the capital of the Terra and the entire Empire, the heart of the nation. He sighs lightly with his hands behind him. The door closes behind Ibram, making Balthasar turn to see the Slave Lord.

Commissar Ibram Grant of the Dorsum System correct?

Clicking his heels, Ibram nodded, executing a curt neck bow at the same time.

"Indeed, First Minister."

Relaxing slightly, the Commissar leant on the pommel of his sword, as had become a habit in his younger years. As he spoke, the First Minister noticed the twitching of a scar running over Gaunt's right eye, a reward from an eager Reptile during a revolt.

"It is my duty to appear before you, Lord Ignatius, and may I say you executed the delicate job of His Majesty's coronation with... Deftness."

Knowingly looking at the Minister in the now silent room, the meaning of the sentence was clear.

"Before I returned to the Dorsum System, I thought it best to report here and ask if the Empire needs anything at all from my House or our System, we are at His Imperial Majesty's whim."

Once again leaning on the sword, he awaited the Minister's reply.

A hologram message read by an AI called "Prester" starts.

Salutation beginning
    "Lord Ignatius. I am Lord Sovereign Ramses Vaiken II of Thrax. Congratulations on your appointment as First Minister. I am sure you will guide the Emperor to great things."
    Salutation Ended

Priority Message Beginning

"Though some of us are seen as "radicals" to those who wish for the punishment of religious freedom, the late Emperor was adamant about destroying barriers where they stand and bringing religious freedom to this Empire. As no single Lord in the Hook resides on the council, even though we have some of the most populous systems, I wish to bring it to your attention that the Lords of the Hook would like a voice on the Council. We know that opposition stands in your way, possibly even your own opposition. However, by taking steps, no matter how small, towards religious freedom, appeasement will begin to take place in my system and those that surround it."
    Priority Message Ended

Valediction Beginning

"Thank you. Long live the Emperor and may the Empire be preserved."
    Valediction Ended

Prester speaks
    "May I send a return message, sire?"
    Last edited by Celsius; April 26, 2014 at 09:53 PM.

Citizen

I did what the First Minister is appointed to do, Commissar. My grandfather, Odysseus, would have wanted me to be that way.

He rubs his neck slightly as the First Minister turns, walking over to his desk. Balthasar sits down, looking at Ibram for a moment. His mind pondering upon words.

The Empire will need her subjects to be true and loyal as always, Lord Gaunt. The Emperor, Louis VII, would not want it any other way. To keep the stability, order and peace that the Empire has enjoyed for now since the Devastation of Marten and the Incestoid's incursions into the Marches.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    I did what the First Minister is appointed to do, Commissar. My grandfather, Odysseus, would have wanted me to be that way.

He rubs his neck slightly as the First Minister turns, walking over to his desk. Balthasar sits down, looking at Ibram for a moment. His mind pondering upon words.

The Empire will need her subjects to be true and loyal as always, Lord Gaunt. The Emperor, Louis VII, would not want it any other way. To keep the stability, order and peace that the Empire has enjoyed for now since the Devastation of Marten and the Incestoid's incursions into the Marches.
    Taking a cue, the Commissar also took his seat, being careful to hold his sword out by the side as he did so.

"My first duty, sir, is to the Emperor and his Household, I have little time for the Merchants of this Empire, nor the Zealots who despite apparent good will are in my opinion not to be trusted."

Gaunt's husky voice fell silent across the desk,

"The main reason I came, is there are slight reports of unrest within my system's slave population. I will be executing a plan to solve this disorder within the coming weeks, so should you receive reports, there is little to worry about. But as I mentioned, Minister, at the first moment of your calling, my House will be at your side. Now please forgive me, but I must depart, I have left my son as the delegate to the Assembly, and I am sure he will have contact with you soon enough."

Standing once again, the Lord Commissar rose to leave and then turned, with an afterthought,

"It would do me a service, First Minister, if our systems traded. Dorsum is rich in precious metal, and a new Trade Hub will soon be finished."

Stopping once more, he faced Ignatius, snapped his heels once more in salute and bowed his head again.

"Long live the Emperor."

Winking at the Minister, the Commissar stepped backwards four paces and then turned on his heel and left the chambers. Taking his hat and gloves from the Secretary as he did so.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post
    Taking a cue, the Commissar also took his seat, being careful to hold his sword out by the side as he did so.

"My first duty, sir, is to the Emperor and his Household, I have little time for the Merchants of this Empire, nor the Zealots who despite apparent good will are in my opinion not to be trusted."

Gaunt's husky voice fell silent across the desk,

"The main reason I came, is there are slight reports of unrest within my system's slave population. I will be executing a plan to solve this disorder within the coming weeks, so should you receive reports, there is little to worry about. But as I mentioned, Minister, at the first moment of your calling, my House will be at your side. Now please forgive me, but I must depart, I have left my son as the delegate to the Assembly, and I am sure he will have contact with you soon enough."

Standing once again, the Lord Commissar rose to leave and then turned, with an afterthought,

"It would do me a service, First Minister, if our systems traded. Dorsum is rich in precious metal, and a new Trade Hub will soon be finished."

Stopping once more, he faced Ignatius, snapped his heels once more in salute and bowed his head again.

"Long live the Emperor."

Winking at the Minister, the Commissar stepped backwards four paces and then turned on his heel and left the chambers. Taking his hat and gloves from the Secretary as he did so.
    Lord Ignatius watches the Commissar for a moment, listening to his words for a moment. He keys his datapad, making arrangements of some sort before having it send the message to its destination.

I would recommend visiting my home in the Nu Scorpii System, Commissar. My brother, the Lord Regent Lucien Ignatius, could arrange a trade agreement between your system and ours. With how tied my hands are due to the Emperor's illness, I cannot truly conduct such private business.

He gives the man a casual salute as Lord Gaunt departs his office.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    A hologram message read by an AI called "Prester" starts.

Salutation beginning
    "Lord Ignatius. I am Lord Sovereign Ramses Vaiken II of Thrax. Congratulations on your appointment as First Minister. I am sure you will guide the Emperor to great things."
    Salutation Ended

Priority Message Beginning

"Though some of us are seen as "radicals" to those who wish for the punishment of religious freedom, the late Emperor was adamant about destroying barriers where they stand and bringing religious freedom to this Empire. As no single Lord in the Hook resides on the council, even though we have some of the most populous systems, I wish to bring it to your attention that the Lords of the Hook would like a voice on the Council. We know that opposition stands in your way, possibly even your own opposition. However, by taking steps, no matter how small, towards religious freedom, appeasement will begin to take place in my system and those that surround it."
    Priority Message Ended

Valediction Beginning

"Thank you. Long live the Emperor and may the Empire be preserved."
    Valediction Ended

Prester speaks
    "May I send a return message, sire?"
    Lord Ignatius leans back in his chair. Damnable Zealots and their heresy...why did Maximilian conduct relations with them? His family and the rest of the Old Lords were fervent believers of the Promethean Creed, a philosophy and religion that brought about the creation of the Empire. His family was among the more traditional Old Lords who wish to see the Zealots burned. However, in his position, the First Minister would have to address it. With the incapacitated state of the Emperor, the First Minister would be forced to show obligation even in the slightest. He suspected though that the Council of Ministers would agree with his views on the Zealots however and this situation would be turned down in a moment.

He reaches over, keying a return message for the AI 'Prester.'

Lord Sovereign, as the First Minister, I do feel the need of obligation to address this matter. However, I feel that even if such work began, it would not bear any fruit within this reign. The Emperor's condition could make him pass away by the following year and the one who rises in his place may be even much less tolerable than Maximilian was. We will have to see which direction the winds blow involving this situation. If the Emperor lives another year, then your request shall be addressed. However, if he does not, you may have to look to his successor and whoever will be the next First Minister.

He keys for the recording to end and for the AI to take it along with him.

Lord Berenguer Arparys requests an audience with the First Minister.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    Lord Berenguer Arparys requests an audience with the First Minister.
    Lord Arprays is permitted to enter the quiet office. The First Minister quietly sits at his desk, reading a few reports here and there. His gaze looks up as the door closes to see Lord Arparys.

My Lord Arparys what brings you here?

Lord Arprays is permitted to enter the quiet office. The First Minister quietly sits at his desk, reading a few reports here and there. His gaze looks up as the door closes to see Lord Arparys.

My Lord Arparys what brings you here?
    He bows respectfully.

"My Lord Ignatius, I come here to thank you for the betrothal between a proud scion of Ignatius, Lady Severina, and my son, Armand Arparys, a marriage we have to discuss where it will be held and when, First Minister"

Citizen

You are quite welcome, Lord Arparys. I do not mind where the marriage shall be held, as long as it can be made lavish and splendid in appearance, a memory to remember.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Long after the emperor had been declared deceased, Lord Charles Nomond visits the office of Lord Balthasar.

You are quite welcome, Lord Arparys. I do not mind where the marriage shall be held, as long as it can be made lavish and splendid in appearance, a memory to remember.

"As the bride's father (ooc: she was his daughter right?) it would be fitting to hold such a ceremony at Nu Scorpii, your seat, my Lord. Agreed, I will not constrain myself with the budget, my Lord, the celebration must impress everyone, as fitting"

He leans forward

"However that wasn't the main purpose of my visit, that could have been arranged by our secretaries. My Lord, when I was coming here I received a most unfortunate new, that the Emperor has died... I believe that us, the Electors will elect a new one as soon as possible"

He smiles. He lowers his voice.

"We have signed an alliance my Lord Ignatius, my son marrying your daughter, as such I could not think a most fitting candidate, than... you, my Lord Ignatius"

"You have both my allegiance and my vote, as Elector"

He waits the response of Ignatius, watching his reaction.

"Arparys always wanted to marry in with an Emperor's scion, why would have to wait? A crown would fit your temples, First Minister"

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Long after the emperor had been declared deceased, Lord Charles Nomond visits the office of Lord Balthasar.
    Lord Nomond is brought in and shown to the presence of the First Minister. Balthasar is quietly examining a report on the burial preparations and budget for Louis VII's funeral. He looks up at Charles for a moment, gesturing to a seat in front of him.

My Lord Nomond, I am terribly sorry for your family's loss.

"As the bride's father (ooc: she was his daughter right?) it would be fitting to hold such a ceremony at Nu Scorpii, your seat, my Lord. Agreed, I will not constrain myself with the budget, my Lord, the celebration must impress everyone, as fitting"

He leans forward

"However that wasn't the main purpose of my visit, that could have been arranged by our secretaries. My Lord, when I was coming here I received a most unfortunate new, that the Emperor has died... I believe that us, the Electors will elect a new one as soon as possible"

He smiles. He lowers his voice.

"We have signed an alliance my Lord Ignatius, my son marrying your daughter, as such I could not think a most fitting candidate, than... you, my Lord Ignatius"

"You have both my allegiance and my vote, as Elector"

He waits the response of Ignatius, watching his reaction.

"Arparys always wanted to marry in with an Emperor's scion, why would have to wait? A crown would fit your temples, First Minister"

I shall send word to my brother, the Lord Regent, to have all preparations made for the marriage ceremony. Nu Scorpii will be in a great joyous mood despite the death of Louis VII. My daughter, Severina, will be most anxious to wed your son and present us both with grandchildren.

The First Minister offers a smile and then listens quietly as Lord Arparys lowers his voice. He strokes his chin silently before leaning back. His eyes look at Lord Arparys nodding quietly to the affirmation of his vote and allegiance to Balthasar's elevation. He lowers his voice in return.

For now, my friend, I can only thank you for these words. If I am elected, only then may I award those who ensured my elevation.

The First Minister than leans back once more, deep down very pleased with one vote secured upon his belt. And that was one step closer to his ultimate ambition and prize, the Imperial Throne itself.

Lord Nomond is brought in and shown to the presence of the First Minister. Balthasar is quietly examining a report on the burial preparations and budget for Louis VII's funeral. He looks up at Charles for a moment, gesturing to a seat in front of him.

I shall send word to my brother, the Lord Regent, to have all preparations made for the marriage ceremony. Nu Scorpii will be in a great joyous mood despite the death of Louis VII. My daughter, Severina, will be most anxious to wed your son and present us both with grandchildren.

The First Minister offers a smile and then listens quietly as Lord Arparys lowers his voice. He strokes his chin silently before leaning back. His eyes look at Lord Arparys nodding quietly to the affirmation of his vote and allegiance to Balthasar's elevation. He lowers his voice in return.

For now, my friend, I can only thank you for these words. If I am elected, only then may I award those who ensured my elevation.

The First Minister than leans back once more, deep down very pleased with one vote secured upon his belt. And that was one step closer to his ultimate ambition and prize, the Imperial Throne itself.
    "Yes, with such great bloodlines mingled I fear what our grandsons will grow into"

He laughs. And then looks into the Minister's eyes.

"You will not find a most eager supporter than myself, Lord Ignatius. We, Arparys, hold in great stem blood ties"

"And my Lord, just in case someone is less than receptive to choose you as our next Emperor and tries to... counter your candidacy you must remember you have my frienship. If someone defies your Lordship, well, Shock Legions will march by your side"

Lord Charles smiles wearily at Balthasar. He looks tired, leaning more on his cane than usual.

"Thank you for your condolonces, Lord Balthasar. I cannot say this day wasn't expected, but... I guess no one can be completely prepared for their father's passing. I must talk to you about most urgent issues at hand because of this. The election will be soon... and I was hoping that I could discuss the future with you. We need a stronger emperor than my father was."

Citizen

"Yes, with such great bloodlines mingled I fear what our grandsons will grow into"

He laughs. And then looks into the Minister's eyes.

"You will not find a most eager supporter than myself, Lord Ignatius. We, Arparys, hold in great stem blood ties"

"And my Lord, just in case someone is less than receptive to choose you as our next Emperor and tries to... counter your candidacy you must remember you have my frienship. If someone defies your Lordship, well, Shock Legions will march by your side"

I thank you, Lord Arparys for your assurance. House Ignatius will remember your words fondly and greatly. The Nu Scorpii system will always welcome you as an ally and will always be your friend in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post

Lord Charles smiles wearily at Balthasar. He looks tired, leaning more on his cane than usual.

"Thank you for your condolonces, Lord Balthasar. I cannot say this day wasn't expected, but... I guess no one can be completely prepared for their father's passing. I must talk to you about most urgent issues at hand because of this. The election will be soon... and I was hoping that I could discuss the future with you. We need a stronger emperor than my father was."

That is indeed the case, Charles. We not only need a stronger emperor, but one that can live for a good period of time. No offense to your father that is, I admire his determination, but I would hate to have another election the following year. Internal and external troubles are approaching the Empire as they always do and we need someone who can face them head on.

That is indeed the case, Charles. We not only need a stronger emperor, but one that can live for a good period of time. No offense to your father that is, I admire his determination, but I would hate to have another election the following year. Internal and external troubles are approaching the Empire as they always do and we need someone who can face them head on.
    "No offence taken, I completely agree with you. If I was younger I would nominate myself, but I don't think that my old body will manage that responsibility. I have already decided who I want to take the throne, a man who has already proven his worth as a political leader. The one I want to see crowned on Terra... is you, Lord Balthasar. I will support your nomination once the election starts."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast