Thread: [CKII] OF THE GLORY THAT WAS ROME - An Eastern Roman ARR

Caudillo87's Avatar Semisalis

Default [CKII] OF THE GLORY THAT WAS ROME - An Eastern Roman ARR

How's it going guys? Me, I am doing fine. I have been working on other things besides modding these past months but do not worry, I haven't forgotten you all but anyway; I have been playing Crusader Kings II a lot recently and have always wanted to do an AAR based on one of my games. I tried logging several MTW II campaigns but never finished, however, after playing the - you guessed it - the "Byzantines" I have fallen in love with the customization and after playing a very exciting game I have decided to start a new one specifically for this AAR and I hope you all like it. First off let me give you some trivia about my involvement with AARs. I read my first one about - you guessed it - the Byzantines calledRome AARise by General_BT and it was quite awesome, I'll post a link latter on, but it was this story that got me a thinking about writing one. So as you all probably know, I am quite the avid follower of anything Eastern Roman and contributing something as a cool story that has everything I think will make them even more awesome is double cudos for me! So that is the gest, I have posted already on the Paradox Interactive forums if you want that style but I don't like the way they do things so I decided to share here as well because this is home to me.

For those of you who are interested I am playing the game with most major DLC's except the new Rajas of India and took out Sunset Invasion because that is stupid times 9000. Also, keep in mind that this is my first attempt to devise, write and compile an AAR so please be patient with me and kind when it comes to grammar, syntax, style, etc. I sincerely hope that these issues improve as I go along with this AAR so that's my intro. Leave comments if you like, in fact I must insists as they will help me continue on and just give me an idea of what you guys think. Finally, as I am an avid lover of anything regarding historical, this AAR will have many Greek and Anglicized Greek terms so if you have any questions, let me know - so without further adieu, here is For The Glory That Was Rome.

8 of December in the Era of the World 6374 (867)

(Sicily, in the Province of Syrakousa, 5 miles north of the border between the Roman Empire and the Aghlabid Sultanate of Afrika)

PROLOUGE

"Ioannes! Ioannes!" Shouted Lukas the humble shepherd amongst the cool bleak hills of central Sicily. "Ioannes! Where is that boy?"

He and his son had been herding sheep for the past few days, taking advantage of the dry and cool winter typical of central Sicily. Nothing was really amiss for these simple plebeians, who have lived their lives in relative obscurity amidst the chaos that has reigned over the island these past centuries. Ever since the Muslim conquest of Afrika signaled by the capture of Carthage in 693 and the Muslim defeat outside of Tours in Gallia in 732, Sicily had been the focal point of Islamic expansion and once the western part of the island was captured, it allowed Muslim pirates and zealous adventurers to raid, pillage and carve out small Islamic strongholds in southern Italy. The Imperial government in Constantinople had thus far been unable to assist in anyway due to the constant threat of Islamic advancement on their eastern provinces in Anatolia, thanks to in no small part to the mighty Douxs of Anatolia who have over the centuries evolved into tight clans of powerful families which care for nothing else but the security of their estates, the destruction of their rivals and neighbors and ever hoping for the opportunity to expand their lands through any kind of exploitation available. Thus is the reason for the western provinces of the once mighty Roman Empire to fall under the powers of foreign rulers, and thus is the reason why all of Sicily now lies under Muslim lordship save but one last bastion, one last stronghold against the Islamic tide the County of Syrakousa.

"Ioannes! Ioannes!" The humble shepherd's cries of annoyance and anger soon began to change as several minutes passed since he had heard or seen his young son of 10 years amidst the rolling hills. They had wondered away from the border many a times before as there had been peace between the Comes and the titled Emir of Sicily, Vassal of the Great King of Afrika. For the past year and even before the formal declarations of truce in the Emperor's name, no conflict of any kind had existed between the Roman State and the Sultanate for as long as the humble shepherd could remember. Such knowledge had given the humble shepherd enough confidence in the security of his life, his flock and now at presently, his young son, to venture as he pleased for greener pastures. But now something was different. He could feel it in the air, in the wind, he could see it in the fields and the scattered trees surrounding him that something was different, something was wrong.

Fear and anxiety now gripped at his soul, for the loss of his only son to the elements or worse to some beast or random brigand, spurred him free from his flock as he began to increase his pace over the hills until he found the flatten grass in the shape of a young foot. His heart skipped, as though he were endowed the power of the furies, he gripped his staff as though it were a mighty weapon and began to follow the tracks up the hill - his eyes motionless, straight and desperate as he continued up the hill, following the tracks of the small flatten clumps of grass. Every thought know passed his mind as he continued on, not caring for anything else but what awaited him over the hill, not noticing the distant rustling sound of a chanting wind over the horizon - only the thought of what became of his son.

As he made the final steps over the hill's crown, his eyes caught a glimpse of what his heart desired to see, the shape of a young boy laying on the ground of the next hilltop staring as it seemed into the distance not caring for anything but what stood before his gaze. Relieved that the boy was in no harm, the humble shepherd released his guard and lowered his shoulders staring at the ground, breathing as he released the stress that had moments before, given him the strength to kill 10 men. He regained his senses and soon found himself in such a composure to do the boy enough harm as his body would allow!
    "Ioannes!" The humble shepherd now again felt secure enough to shout his name as before but unlike before something was different. As he continued to walk sternly toward the boy he noticed that there was indeed something that had gripped the boy so much that he again ignored his father's calls. Realizing the sounds in the distance now grew ever more profound, the shepherd froze and with wide eyes lowered his head and body, turning his eyes at his surroundings to see what his ears now heard. Slowly and cautiously he began to walk toward his son, his eyes now gripped in the same direction as young Ioannes. As he drew closer to his son, he lowered his body to the ground and began to crawl - finally reaching his son and pounced on top of him, startling the boy, who gave a slight whimper as he was quickly silenced by his father's hand as he whispered to him, "Stay quiet and stay still." For his eyes now saw what had gripped his son, the mass of metal, men and beasts below in the valley was as alien to his young mind as ever could be drawn in his wildest imaginations, for before their eyes was what the shepherd had thought would never again appear in his lifetime, for before them was the beginning of what would become the end of everything they had known - for them the past was now gone and their lives would never be the same again. Before them stood what the future would entail, what all men living in their time would see and experience and what generations would see until the absolute end. Before them now stood the dread of all Christian peoples and what was carried - fluttering in the wind amidst a sea of black and green banners - the insignia of the Crescent atop two crossed scimitars in blazing red - and the sounds in the distance, the sound every foe of Islam hoped they would never hear, was now more clearer than ever before, for their ears now heard among the marching feet of thousands, the fear gripping and blood curdling cry of "Allah Akbar." War has come to Rhomania!

INTRODUCTION

(The God-Protected Imperial City of Konstantinoupolis, Capital of the Roman Empire)

BASILEIOS I - BASILEUS KAI AUTOKRATOR TON RHOMAION

1 of January in the Era of the World 6375 (868)

(The Great Palace of Constantinople)

A great and ominous feeling flows through all that occupy the narthex before two great doors in a great octagonal building that sat at the heart of the great and sacred palace of the Roman Empire, the Chrysotriklinos. Those who have had the great fortune and almost sublime luck to be allowed entry into this hallowed ground of divine and supreme power, stand with great anxiety as they await the arrival of the chamberlain that guards the sacred doors to the throne room. For on this day, all of the great lords of the empire as well as their ladies have arrived per imperial summons to take heed and take stock of events that have transpired before their very eyes, and among them stand two palace courtiers dressed in their finest, as fine as their stipends have allowed, taking the lapse of time to empty their thoughts and reflect their role on the empire's destiny.

(The Chrysotriklinos is the Octagonal building at the center with the Gold Dome)

In the back corner of the room, Nikodemos presented himself as the capable soldier that he was, clothed in simple officer attire save but the white cloak designating his status as a Kandidatos of the Excubitores, one of the emperor's personal bodyguards. He is a stern and confident man who found himself a courtier by mere chance. He had served with the previous co-emperor in a light skirmish against Saracen raiders several years back and had thus found himself in the favor with the Co-Emperor when he accidentally criticized the late emperor Michael about his lack of zeal of restoring the empire's frontiers in his presence without knowing. When he was confronted by the Co-Emperor, he did not retract his words nor apologized and kept his composure allowing the Co-Emperor to see in his eyes the making of a great leader of men and made him part of his personal guard. As he continued to serve the Co-Emperor, he was found to be a great leader of men in addition to being zealously loyal and rose to become the chief of staff or Magistros of the Kandidatoi.

"Nikodemos, how can you look so calm!?"

The man who questioned the composure of his colleague was one who was not so confidant in his achievements to stand so haughty in the presence of his social superiors.

"A soldier must never lose his composure on a field of battle," slowly replied Nikodemos as he continued to look around the room at the great lords who surrounded them with their backs turned.

"Are we not at the heart of the great palace itself?"

Quietly replied his colleague in a distressful tone as he continued to caress the cross around his neck. But with a stern voice, Nikodemos slowly answered,

"Battles are not always fought on distant fields Athanasios," and as he slowly turned his head toward Athanasios, who caught the deadly gaze of the capable veteran, grimly uttered, "The past few months have proven that!"

(Nikodemos and Athanasios, two great friends and two worthy Romans)

Athanasios, like Nikodemos, was of the same simple stock and though he was subordinate to Nikodemos in command in addition to being younger, he was attired in what he believed to be finer clothes. What his commander had in confidence through personal achievement, Athanasios had in visual recognition. At the heart of power he felt what any man of no rank would and though he lacked none of the martial skill his commander had – for there were those who said that they even surpass them, he was possessed by an inferiority complex of temperance - complements of living his life in a city where power was clearly defined between the oppressors and the oppressed.

"I wish I had your strength today," said Athanasios as he turned away from Nikodemos' stare with a shutter, "I never imagined that I would one day find myself in such a place and at such a time as this."

"The late emperor was not a healthy man," Nikodemos replied as he returned his stern gaze towards the backs of the assembled lords. Only to slightly raise his head toward the corner of the room and with a scornful look in his eye angrily stated,

"He was as cancerous to himself as he was to the dignity of the Roman state," but now with a slight grin concluded, "Death was never far behind."

Slowly turning his head toward Nikodemos, Athanasios responded, "And you as well, it seemed - where never too far behind him."

The response made Nikodemos lose his composure for a second as he gave a lite chuckle. Making Athanasios feel all the more paranoid.

"All the same, great and terrible is this feeling I feel," he continued in a low and uncomfortable tone, "the sudden death of an emperor is not a time to feel at ease...,"

"Indeed," Nikodemos quickly responded with a slight smirk on his face, "for the center of absolute power is as perilous as a brood of vipers and our late emperor, it seemed, had but one foot to treed. Unfortunately for him, he was not the greatest of snake charmers."

The light hearted reply made the other courtier give a slight grin which allowed him to feel a bit more at ease as he responded, "to think that one who mastered the Saracens and Bulgars in intrigue and diplomacy could not fully conquer what went on in his own bed."

"You forget dear Athanasios,” replied Nikodemos as he raised his head as he continued, “What the late emperor Michael called success, his former co-Emperor Basileios called action!"

Their conversation was soon cut short when a loud crack erupted throughout the room and in walked the man they all had been waiting for, a Koubikoularios (chamberlain) entered slowly with a golden staff half his height, which he held in his right hand and dressed in fine robes befitting his station, proceeded until he reached the center of the room. In a loud but high pitched voice, as he was a eunuch, cried, “Who wishes to proceed into the sacred chamber of his most August majesty, the God-Anointed Emperor of the Romans!” And all in one accord, the assembled lords cried, “His loyal and humble stewards of the empire, beg sanctity to enter his holy chamber!” The Koubikoularios then turned and walked toward the great golden doors and with one echoing slam on his staff onto the marble floor cried, “His most August and Holy majesty’s stewards beg sanctity to enter the sacred chamber!” Soon, another voice was heard behind the doors but was as loud and as clear as if he was standing in the same room saying, “His most August and Holy Emperor, Autocrat of the Romans, gives sanctity to his loyal stewards!” As soon as the voice finished, the two great doors opened slowly and once they were fully ajar the Koubikoularios walked slowly in and after him walked the highest ranking nobles in the room: the appointed pro-consuls, the leader of the Imperial Senate, the various Patricians and Senators then the provincial Douxs, the Imperial Domestikoi, their retinues and finally the Imperial courtiers, all entered the vast octagonal chamber of the Roman Emperor. Inside stood another eunuch at the far end of the room atop the first step toward the emperor’s throne, this time it was the Parakoimomenos, the high chamberlain, who despite his age displayed the same tenacious glare as Nikodemos, for all knew that he was the most powerful man next to the emperor inside the palace. Athanasios’ heart was racing, for not in a million years did he ever dream of standing in such a place among the highest ranking lords of the empire but here he was, albeit as Nikodemos’ adjutant – who was himself a Magistros, chief of staff, of the Imperial Bodyguard, the Excubitores.

(Modern Depiction of a Parakoimomenos)

After several slow steps, the retinue of lords continued to follow the Koubikoularios until they reached the middle of the room and stopped. The Parakoimomenos, who also held a golden staff half his height but with a golden eagle atop an orb placed at the tip, slammed his staff three times on the floor and soon the room was filled with priestly chants and at the back corners of the room, two doors opened and in walked priest who continued to chant as they began to wave incense around the next step to the emperor’s throne and after they had finished, they then took their places surrounding the throne and continued to sing. After which the central door opened and a procession of the rest of the court eunuchs began and as soon as they lined up behind the last step on either side, the priest began to chant a different hymn and the Parakoimomenos quickly turned around and in walked the Patriarch Ignatios, the Katastaseos - the master of court ceremonies, who too carried a staff but of silver, the Silentarios - the imperial crier, who also carried a silver staff and finally the Manglavitai – who carried maces on their shoulders and clad in great red tunics with gold trim, and all proceeded to the corner of the third step before the throne room while the Silentarios occupied the step before him and the Patriarch stood to the right of the Emperor’s throne while the Manglavitai stood directly behind the Emperor. The priests continued their chant for another 20 minutes and as soon as they were increasing their flowing voices, in walked the Emperor Basileios with the Augusta Eudokia dressed in fine white tunics, embroidered with golden thread, with their imperial purple chalmys draped around their left shoulders fastened with a great brooch made of rubies and emeralds upon a lard gold piece covered in pearls. On the Emperor’s head was a large golden diadem with a ring of pearls on top and on the bottom, and in the middle were red rubies cut into squares surrounded with pearls and in the middle sat a great sapphire stone, covered in pears and atop – a golden cross. His face however, unlike previous Roman Emperors, was shaved; to portray the image that he was a seasoned military man and not some idle wastrel of ruler. The Augusta’s crown was a famous piece of imperial regalia – it was the exact crown that the Empress Theodora wore as she posed for the artist who made the great church of San Vitale in Ravenna. They both walked in, side by side, hand in hand toward their thrones and stood before them until the priests ended their chants and at that precise moment the Katastaseos cries,

May you reign!”

And the highest ranked lords present acclaim, “For many and good years!

After they spoke, all the men before the imperial couple began to prostrate themselves and as they rise the Emperor gives a sign to the Silentarios who intones,

At your command!

Then all in the room acclaim, “For many and good years!

The Patriarch then cries, “Holy, Holy, Holy. Glory to God in the highest and peace on earth” thrice, which the assembled lords repeat.

Then the Katastaseos continues, “O such a great Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans, many, many years!

Which the assembled lords continue, “Glory to God for the crowning of your head.

The Katastaseos: “So let him guard you for many years in the Purple!
    The assembled lords reply: “Glory to God for appointing you emperor!
    The Katastaseos: “Together with the Augusta and the purple-born children!
    The assembled lords reply: “Glory to God for such benevolence!
    The Katastaseos: “Hearken, O God, to your people!
    The assembled lords: “Many, many, many years to you, God-crowned Basileios, Great Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans!
    The Katastaseos: “Make full your years together with the Augusta and the purple-born children!
    The assembled lords: “For the perfect guardianship of the Roman people!
    After these acclamations the Silentarios shout, “Many years for the Emperor!
    After which all but the imperial couple shout, “May God have mercy on his people!

With the ceremony over, the imperial couple take their thrones, in which case all those assembled prostrate themselves before them and as soon as the Parakoimomenos slams his staff on the floor, all rise and so begins the audience.

“Great and noble stewards of Rhomania," the Emperor began in a deep and regal tone, "I have summoned you all here as you might expect because the needs of state have compelled me to call upon you, can your Emperor rely on you all?” After Basileios finished, the assembled lords cried in unison, “At your command!”
    After a few moments silence, the emperor began to speak in a slow but strong voice,

"Loyal and venerable stewards of the Empire, a dark and lethargic cloud has lifted from the skies beneath God's city. Let it not be misunderstood, that while Michael ruled - our world was slipping from his grips and into the hands of our enemies, sycophants and brigands, whose only desires were the bleeding of this blessed land and the undermining of God's authority by degrading the sacred dignity of the emperorship into decadence and corruption."

The Emperor than looked around the room, his dark eyes eyeing everyone in attendance as he continued in a slow voice, "have we forgotten… who we are?"
    The question sat heavily on Athanasios' mind and as he turned his eyes toward Nikodemos he noticed that his eyes began to glow with tears as the Emperor asked the same question once more, “have we forgotten… what we are?”
    But quickly refocused his gaze upon the Emperor when he again asked the assembled lords of the empire in a harsher tone as he quickly rose from his throne, "have we all forgotten... of the glory that was Rome?"

The question hung through the air, passing through the great men of the empire in attendance - echoing throughout the room, throughout the halls of the palace - with such power and with such force that it seemed to be resurrecting the very ghosts of glories past. The air was again very still and the assembled lords became stifled with the question ringing in their ears - for they knew not what to say. The empress meanwhile continued to sit on her throne and remained still throughout the unbearable ordeal but just as the emperor finished his question, her eyes quickly turned to her husband, though none present dared to acknowledge, and gave a slightly veiled grin. The Emperor Basileios, knew that he had the powerful lords of the empire right where he wanted them – stunned and terrified. Unsure of what he was about to reveal to them, Basileios continued in a slow but ascending voice,

Long have I stood and seen with my own eyes the state in which you and your fathers have lived and their fathers before them! You have never cared about anything but your own selfish desires, your own petty squabbles and caught as a casualty was the stability and security of the Roman Empire! You all have forgotten what made Rome great!” Pointing to the assembled lords as he finished his last sentence and with a slight bend of his head; pointed toward heaven as he finished, “But I tell you here and now that I have not forgotten! And as sure as there is light in heaven - by the end of this day, you all will know why!

Terror and uncontrollable fear was found inside every noble who stifled beneath their finest robes, for each of them felt naked as any accused man before a judge – for what was placed before them was a crime that could only have one consequence for those responsible - death! For such were the words that left the emperor’s mouth - hot as fire and as sharp as any sword, that those in attendance; the orders of death and condemnation seemed all but the very next words their Emperor Basileios would utter. Nikodemos, grasping the hilt of his sword, was hoping it to be so but the room changed yet again as Basileios continued,

“But alas, I have seen too many Romans killed by other Romans for too long,” in a calmer and more dignified voice and as he pointed toward heaven continued, “Just as God, the divine ruler of heaven and earth is mercy and love – so too as his vice-regent on earth, the ruler of all men under the cross must relent and come before you all with my arms stretched forward and accept your feelings of infinite shame and regret, to make thee cleansed as of this moment on.”

“At least for now,” Basileios thought to himself with a hidden smile – for to rule an empire as fickle and as proud in order, tradition and faith as the Roman State, you must be benevolent in times of peace but strong and hard in times of war – and not just with conflicts in distant lands. Basileios then returned to his throne and once seated continued, in a dignified yet strong voice, “Now you will know, and keep this burnt into your hearts – for I will reveal to you all, the histories of glories past.”

Strange and wonderful were the words that Athanasios heard, for never in all of his life were such things revealed to him – never before had he given a thought to the notion of what he was, where he was and what he was fighting for. His whole life had been nothing but keeping the Orthodox faith and defending the God-Blessed realm from the barbarians who wished to destroy it. “Unity through strength and sacrifice,” he repeated inside his head as the emperor spoke, “Pride in what is rather than what was,” these words were strange to Athanasios and indeed to all that heard them, for all of the things that they held sacred - all of the things that they believed made them ‘Roman’ was “backward,” as the Emperor put it, “You all have forgotten that the Roman State is not something stagnant in time but alive. It flourishes within us. The Roman State has survived because we have made it so. Rome became great because God willed that whatever challenge was placed before the Roman people, whatever calamity threatened her very existence - they, the Roman people, were always ready. Always willing to pay the high price of survival and always willing to achieve nothing save absolute victory!” All of these words poured into Athanasios’ ears and all he could think of was “we must fight, we must fight, we must fight!”

The Emperor then ended his lecture by concluding, with slight tears in his eyes as he slowly rose,

I ask you all here today, beneath this hallowed dome and before these holy symbols of Christ’s glory…will we not rebuild the glories that ARE Rome!

Silence came over the hall but it was broken when the assembled lords heard the Silentarios cry out,

As surely as God lives in two natures, all human and all divine, God-Blessed Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans, let your will be done!

After the he made his cry, the stupefied nobles tried to respond in unison but the effects of the emperor’s words caused a few to forget themselves but finally responded,
    “As surely as God’s crown rests upon your head, let the Roman people see it done!”

“Then let God’s will be done!” Basileios slowly replied as he waved to the Parakoimomenos who nodded and with a slam of his staff cried,

“Such is the will of the Emperor - he wishes these men to step forward as they are announced: Doux Theodotos Sellokalas, Count Leon Phokas, Doux Theodoros Koupharas, Doux Chrysaphios Agelastos, and Bishop Theophanes of Heraclea.”

And as these men stepped slowly forward, the Parakoimomenos said to the emperor, “Supreme sovereign, these men are at your command.”
    “Venerable stewards,” said the Emperor, in a methodic tone,

“It is my wish that each and every one of you make yourselves available, for before us lies a herculean task; of which requires capable men. Can your Emperor rely on your excellent attributes? Will you lend us your strength?” And with a loud but distinctive response, the 5 men answered, “If it pleases your August majesty, then we humbly except your charge.”

As soon as the men finished their sentence, a strong and powerful silence descended upon all in attendance, it was as if a powerful, divine force had entered the bodies of all those present – a feeling which only intensified as Basileios ended with one final dictation,

“Worthy men of Rhomania, too long have we endured the misery of defeat before our enemies, too long have we remained dormant and stagnant, too long have we seen our lands in the hands of barbarian scum but I tell you now, before God as my witness, we shall endure no more!”
    And with a stern look closed by saying, “Romans! It is time for us to rise again!”

Then the Patriarch shouted a quick prayer, “Holy, Holy, Holy. Glory to God in the Highest, may the Roman people be ever victorious!
    Then all in attendance shouted, “Glory to God in the Highest, may our emperor bring us victory!”

The emperor, with a slight grin made an accepting nod as he sat back down on his throne and signaled to the Katastaseos who then said, “This audience is at an end!
    In which case the assembled lords replied, “So let God’s will be done!

And as soon as they finished uttering their response the great doors behind them opened and as they turned around, before them stood another chamberlain who took out his left hand toward the narthex - signaling the assembled lords to follow him out of the throne room. The lesser ranked nobles at the back began to separate to either side, thus allowing the higher ranked vassals to exit first and then followed suit until everyone left the room - with the great doors closed behind, they exited out of the Chrysotriklinos into the adjoining courtyard inside the palace.

Everyone who left the room was greatly relieved that their ordeal was over. Some felt great resentment at their treatment and completely astonished as to what just transpired before them, for all knew the ex-co-emperor Basileios as nothing more than one of those sycophants who had used the very things he had just condemned them for – to achieve the highest office of state! To them this great hypocrisy could not stand, and immediately began to harbor great resentment and vowed to do whatever it took to keep the emperor out of their affairs – to whatever end.
    Most however left completely inspired, never before had they heard such words and vowed to do their utmost best in assisting the emperor in this great endeavor – for they knew that the quickest way to power and riches was military conquest. But to all simple minded men such as Athanasios, it was an experience he would never forget. He was relieved that the audience had ended but felt something that he never thought was possible. As he began to look down, he raised his two arms and thought to himself as he was staring at the palms of his hands, “I pray that I be a worthy tool in the emperor’s service!” He then clenched his cross with his right had and looked to Nikodemos who revealed a look of awe inspiring determination, a look that he had not seen on his face before, for Athanasios now knew that all things have past. “For the greater glory of Rhomania,” he thought to himself, “May God’s will be done!” With the ascension of the new emperor, a new age has dawned and as he looked toward heaven, the great column of the Emperor of Justinian caught his eye as it gleamed in the sunlight, whose imposing figure seemed to breathe new life into this simple soldier. For he knew that his life and indeed the lives of the Roman people would never be the same again!

(Now that the Emperor Basileios has revealed his intentions to the Imperial Court, how will he be able to begin the task of rebuilding the Roman State? How will he persuade his subjects both high and low to obey and follow him in his great endeavor? Who will be with him and who will be against him? Find out if he will be able to continue the task of restoring the Glory that was Rome!)

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Re: [CKII] OF THE GLORY THAT WAS ROME - An Eastern Roman ARR

Exceptional...you should write a book, seriously! You shall have rep from me, that is for darn sure. I hope the Empire shall flourish, but we shall see.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Nice start to this AAR. I like how you have framed the story. I hope to see more updates from you in the future. + rep
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Thank you for your praises, I hope I can meet your expectations with future posts - and now, here is Chapter I. Its a long one.

CHAPTER I: THE SUNDERING

1 of January in the Era of the World 6375 (868)

(Great Palace of Constantinople)

(Stairwell leading into the Sacred Palace, where the Emperor and Augusta Walk)

The central doors closed behind the imperial couple amidst the chants of priests and the smell of sweet incense. The audience had ended and the Emperor and the Empress were retiring deeper into the Sacred Palace accompanied by the imperial eunuchs and preceded by the Katastaseos, the Silentarios and the Manglavitai. Along the hallway, still holding hands upright, the Empress Eudokia turned to the Emperor and with a smile said,

"That was a performance that will go in the histories as the defining moment in your reign, my husband."
    "Be sure to remember it, my dear," replied Basileios with a light hearted smile, who then turned to Eudokia to say, "It was intended to stir the imaginations of all who listened to it, even the Augusta!"

With a light laugh and turning toward Basileios, Eudokia replied, "Indeed, I had no idea my husband was filled with such passion! With such love for our Roman State!"

Though realizing their past arrangements, the Empress, regained her composure and slowly turned her gaze to the floor. Basileios, who was still staring at his wife, knew that something was troubling her and regained his composure as well and with a soft, stern and compassionate voice - told her,

"Eudokia, you need not wallow in the past - for it has been cleansed with the anointing of our sacred heads. What was, is gone forever, and what is and what will be... is something I pray, will be filled with joy and happiness."

"Basileios, I..." Eudokia tried to reply but was beginning to be flustered with tears after hearing such a declaration of love and could not utter another word without losing completely her composure, which forced the Emperor to loudly say,

"Sanctity for the Emperor and the Augusta!" When they entered the adjoining room, at which the Silentarios quickly shouted,
    "Mercy be upon us! Sanctity for the Emperor!"

Soon the room was quickly emptied of everyone save the Emperor and the Empress, who was soon quickly overcome with emotion but seeing that his Empress was in such a distraught state, the Emperor took her hand and guided her to the corner of the room and once there placed both of his hands on her shoulders and after doing so, Eudokia looked at his hand and then stared at the Emperor, who said in a firm voice,

"Eudokia, hear what I say and let God and his angels be a witness, You are my wife! You are my Empress, the Venerable Augusta of the Roman Empire - there is no sin that can corrupt you, no wrong that can earn the Emperor's scorn for just as I rule the Roman people - so too do you rule my heart."

"Basileios..." Eudokia responded with a warm smile, her face still covered in tears.
    "You are mine and I am yours!"
    Continued Basileios, "So together let us create a perfect life together."

Upon hearing these words, Eudokia seemed to forget all of her past worries, and made a cry of joy and relief and after clearing her face of tears, she said to Basileios,

"Basileios, though I was with Michael, I am yours now and forever more, and not a day will go by without the desire to see your face gloried before God and men! Even though I am nothing less than your majesty's most loyal servant, I will live the part as Eudokia, your wife, the Augusta of the Roman Empire!"

With their words said, and hearts cleared, Basileios then embraced his wife and when they confirmed their affection with a warm kiss, he smiled at her and said, "You know, it was no coincidence that you remained my empress."

"Than all the more reason to love you, my lord," replied Eudokia with a warm smile - But in the back of her mind secretly said, "Too bad that wench is dead, I would have enjoyed to see her toil in pain, but then again there are those two instead..."

With the Empress once again the living serenity of grace, Basileios, with one hand still holding Eudokia's, called to one of the chamberlains and when he arrived he made a low bow with his left had crossed to his breast and remained bowed with his eyes to the grown.

"Tell the Imperial Mandators that the Emperor wishes to see Doux Theodotos, Comes Leon, Doux Theodoros, Doux Chrysaphios and the Bishop Theophanes within 2 hours in the Konsistorion and be sure to call the Magistros of the Kandidatoi as well."

"They shall report there without hesitation, supreme sovereign," replied the chamberlain who left the room still bowed until he reached the door, then promptly left.
    "Now my dear, our dream will begin to take form," said Basileios to Eudokia who then took his hand and after she kissed it replied,

"Then let God's will be done!"

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

(The Atrium, known as the Tripaton, where many meet along the colonnades)

Meanwhile, back in the Tripaton, (the courtyard before the Chrysotriklinos) Athanasios, still processing the words of the emperor, was walking slowly along the colonnades - mashing his hands as he went - until he was interrupted by a quiet hissing sound.
    "Over here!" Said the quiet voice, "Over here!"
    Athanasios, confused to the location of the sound was turning his head which way until he caught sight of a lovely girl, dressed in fine clothes, bejeweled hair and a light blue silk veil over her head, who continued to jester her arm for him to come near and approach her. Athanasios smiled and quickly forgot about everything except the lovely face that appeared before him down the hall. Her rosy cheeks, and hazel eyes were all he could think about and as he drew closer, she swung him around so as no one could see their little tryst.

"Sweet saints above," he said, "How very glad I am to see your face!" The young lady smiled and after slightly blushing averted her gaze to the floor before quickly returning them to Athanasios to say in a lovely voice,
    "I am very glad to see your face as well," though in a rather mocking tone continued, "see, I told you something great was going to happen today!"
    Athanasios, with a slight smile responded,

"Oh my dear - if only you could have heard the words of the Emperor - such power...such conviction...such...majesty...such...such...!"
    The young lady then quickly placed her fingers on this lips and said with a laugh,
    "Hush my bucking lamb, anymore and you will jump through the roof!"
    Athanasios then laughed and while taking her hands in his, stared at the marbled floor for a moment - reflecting on his next words and said,
    "You know, I never thought in a thousand years that I would be in a place like this. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that I could be in such a place, before such a woman as lovely as you."
    Pausing slightly to let out a slight laugh to ease his anxiety, Athanasios continued,

"for you see... only in Rhomania can a man like me come into such fortune, only here can I find happiness and that is why I cannot contain myself. I stood in front of absolute power... I saw with my own eyes the...the... figure who will not only shape my destiny but that of the entire Roman world!”

"And only for this new revelation does your heart skip so abruptly?" The young lady quickly responded with her eyes slightly squinted in a rather lovely tone. Athanasios then laughed slightly yet again to ease his anxiety but after a few moments regained his confidence and stared intimately into her eyes and after placing her hands together against his chest said,

"Never forget my dear, that I fight to defend Rhomania and all of its treasures - for inside here lies the most precious jewel under heaven... you... and even if I face a whole army of barbarians, even if I stand alone in the face of all adversity, even...even... if I stand before the last setting sun, my love for her will never fail... for your smile... for your warm touch - I will never cease to show my devotion to the land my love calls home."
    The young lady, being caressed by his eyes, and soothed by his voice feels and uneasy sensation in her heart, for before her stands a man ready to die for a love that transcends all human emotion... an ideal that made him the man she has come to love. Slowly she closes her eyes and draws near him and all the while he too begins to feel the pull of her warm lips only to interrupted by a tall Kandidatos with simple clothes and a bright white cloak indicating his rank who said in a rather loud stern voice,

"My Lady, does this man try to make thee a slave to his passion?"

Quickly the two separate and turn their heads away from each other and she quietly and politely responds,

"No good sir, this excellent gentleman was just sharing the glory of what makes our Roman State the most beautiful under the almighty's good earth."

Giving a warm gaze toward Athanasios as she finished but as she was speaking, Athanasios kept his head bowed, gazing at the floor with his right hand against his breast - uttering nothing save a few prayers of protection from the 'Breaker of Skulls,' but feels relaxed after he heard her say,

"Very well then noble Kandidatos, I take my leave of your excellent diligence for the service of our most pious Augusta, and pray thee good day."
    "May the saints continue to guard our most pious Augusta and her most trusted chief of the household maidens, the Lady Basilike," replied Athanasios with a bow as she quickly left their presence.

After he had left the Chrysotriklinos, Athanasios had wondered the Tripaton completely filled with the awe inspiring majesty that the Emperor had just displayed - for in one brief shining moment, all of his hopes, dreams and desires became the Imperial agenda. He had been meditating how ever since his father died fighting against the Arabs in the Army of the Emperor Theophilos, Athanasios was filled with such hatred for the incompetence that had befallen the Roman Army because all of his life he was filled with the tales of the great conquests of the Emperors Justinianos and Herakleios and how in every one of those great wars - there was an ancestor of his who served in their armies. All of this added with his father's traumatic death due to the incompetence of the Emperor's generals, made Athanasios scorn the upper classes and dreamed of the day that God would send an Emperor who would restore the glory that was Rome. And he became invigorated after the audience ended but came to his senses after seeing his great friend and ward about to engage in something extremely forbidden and came to his aid, or someone would come to hers.

"Athanasios, you know better than to bother the peace of the Empress' chief hand maiden," said Nikodemos in a low and stern voice,
    "For if someone else saw what I saw... you would soon find yourselves working in similar apartments."
    "I know… I know it to be true, it’s just that... I could not resist her… her smile, her amber hair, heir beauty and grace - if only I could hold her in my arms for just a moment... but alas you are correct sir."
    Athanasios said as he regained his composure, remembering his station as nothing save a junior officer under the staff of the Magistros of the Kandidatos; for how can someone in such a lowly position ever hope to marry the Empress' favorite - a woman of the Imperial court.

"Anyway, it’s good for young men such as yourself to find something worth dying for, it builds strong character and on a field of battle it is the only thing that keeps you one step farther than meeting our creator and one step closer to victory!"

Nikodemos replied heartedly, putting his arm on Athanasios' shoulder, giving a slight chuckle at the end. But Athanasios could only smile as he stared down the corridor that Basilike had just walked as he heard his superior words of encouragement. Seeing that his words had only succeeded in making his subordinate feel worse, Nikodemos returned to the dignity of his station as the chief of staff of the Emperor's bodyguard, and asked Athanasios in a commanding voice,

"What say you about our Emperor's ambition, will you see it through till the bitter end?"

Athanasios after hearing those words from his superior officer, regained his martial bearing and responded while turning his head toward him,

"For the glory of the Emperor and the greater glory of the almighty - I will see it done!"

"Excellent, spoken like a true soldier of Rhomania!" Answered Nikodemos with a smile, "know this Athanasios,” he continued as he straighten his head while placing his arms behind his back, “Rhomania will be reforged and changed forever."

"All things will be made knew," replied Athanasios.

"Our course has been made clear," replied Nikodemos as he turned his body toward the center of the atrium and averted his gaze toward heaven.
    And while thinking of his beloved Basilike, Athanasios ambitiously says in a low voice as he ascends his gaze towards the dome of the Chrysotriklinos,

"Through victory... will glory pave the way for mere mortals to reach the jewels of heaven!"

Nikodemos turned to Athanasios and gave a slight smile as he said,

"Then let victory be ours!"

"Then let love conquer all,"
    Athanasios thought to himself with a great smile. For he knew, that only here can a man as low as he reach the pinnacle of greatness, only here can a man forge his own destiny and be able to shape the lives of his fellow men.

"Honorable Magistros Nikodemos of Skalothe?"

Said a voice behind them – And as they both turned, they found one of the Imperial Mandators standing before them, dressed in fine robes as befitting his station and as with all palace officials – stuffed to the brim with self-importance. He bowed his head slightly when the two men turned, in which case Athanasios and Athanasios returned the courtesy but Athanasios bowed his head lower as he was not invested with any official rank.

"Give his most August Majesty's peace," said Athanasios, with a firm and un-moving tone. After which the Mandator responded in an arrogant but firm tone,

"It pleases our most August and supreme sovereign, that you reserve yourself the sacred honor of being present at the Konsistorion within the hour for a session of state… what is your response?"

Nikodemos, slightly amused at the man’s blatant arrogance, showed no emotion as the Mandator openly displayed his contempt – concentrating only on the audience that was to come and the revelations it would unfold.

"May God keep our great and pious emperor safe,” responded Nikodemos in a jubilant tone,

“Rely that I will reserve the honor of being present at the Konsistorion within the hour, to ‘participate’ in a session of state."

As he concluded in an authoritative tone – Athanasios, turned his gaze from the contemptuously minded worm of a man and shifted them toward the archways that surrounded them, meditating on the divine providence that allowed him to be a part of such a magnanimous turning point in Roman history.

The Mandator then tilted his head slightly with a forced and indignant grin as he retired out of sight. Athanasios was about to bow back to the Mandator but since he turned around to leave before Athanasios could, he regained his composure and then turned toward his friend to speak but was halted but that same deep stare. Athanasios again displayed that same humbling look of complete adulation and as his eyes began to show signs of tears he said,

"At last!" in a soft, warm and deadly voice, "It begins!"

Athanasios could only reply with a stare of uncertainty as he slowly nodded his head in approval and after doing so, let out a deep sigh as he turned to the hallway that once bore the figure of his beloved and said with a worrisome tone in his voice, “so let God’s will be done.”

(2 hours later: Inside the Konsistorion)

(The Konsistorion, where the Emperors have met members of state for centuries)

Nikodeoms, like the other five assembled lords and the various Domestikoi, had been waiting inside the great building for what seemed like a rather long time. Each of them had been present within the hour of being told to by the Imperial Mandators but what they did not know was that the Mandators purposefully told them to come one hour sooner than necessary so as not to allow the emperor to arrive in an empty hall but after hearing that glorious oration, each lord could hardly restrain himself from coming on time so as to hear what the Emperor had in store for each and every one of them. As Athanasios was part of the Imperial bodyguard, he made sure that he was the first one there and stood to the left of the Imperial throne, meditating as to what would be discussed until the other lords appeared in the great room. He acknowledged them and they did the same, for openly snubbing a chief member of the Emperor's bodyguard was not a very wise thing to do, especially to one as scornful as he was toward the aristocracy, lucky for the Mandator who delivered the message that Athanasios was so pleased at his summons that he paid the little weasel no heed. While the other lords did not bother to intermingle with Athanasios, he kept his cool stare upon them, and was only interrupted with at last at the appointed hour, the parakoimomenos entered the room and immediately slammed his golden staff and announced to the assembled body,

(Athanasios watching the great lords of Rhomania, with utter contempt)

(Interior of the Konsistorion)

"Noble stewards of the Empire, His most August and Supreme Lord, The Emperor!" Then he quickly turned to the side to allow the Emperor to enter and bowed low as he entered. The other lords, knowing court protocol, knew that this was a less formal meeting did not prostrate themselves but bowed low - placing their left hands over their chest and shouted in the ancient tongue,

"Tu Vincas," followed by "Basileios, August Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans!"

After which the emperor raised his hand to acknowledge them by giving them the sign of peace. Then the Emperor sat down on his throne and signaled the Parakoimomenos who again slammed his staff - indicating that the assembled lords to regain their posture.
    The Emperor then said,

"Gentlemen, I thank you for meeting me in such a short time after our initial audience... for I know that each of you have very pressing issues to attend to but as it stands, the affairs of state take precedence over any personal matters so with that welcome."

After the Emperor spoke, he turned to the Katastaseos, who after acknowledging his signal, decreed to the congregated body,
    "It pleases the Emperor, that these men reserve the honor of accepting the following positions: The noble Theodotos Sellokalas, Doux of the Opsikion Theme - you are hereby invested with the title of Magistros Vasilikei - head diplomat and chief of the offices of state, the noble Leon Phokas, Comes of Seleukia - you are hereby invested with the title of Archistrategos - overall field commander and head of all military offices, the noble Theodoros Koupharas, Doux of the Agean Islands - you are hereby invested with the title of Sakellarios Vasilikei - keeper of the sacred largess and chief administrator of finance, the noble Chrysaphios Agelastos, Doux of the Peloponnese Theme - you are hereby invested with the title of Logothetes tou Dromou (Mystikos) - the Emperor's spymaster and head of the intelligence offices, and finally his grace the Bishop Theophanes of Heraclea - you are hereby invested with the title of Eccleisarch - you will be the Emperor's representative in all maters spiritual from the pious Bishop of Rome to the dutiful Bishop of Konstantinople."

(The members of state: Doux Theodotos, Count Leon, Doux Theodoros, Doux Chrysaphios, and Bishop Theophanes

After the Katastaseos finished his declaration, the Emperor then said,

"Gentlemen, I entrust you all with the powers and responsibilities of your offices because I have faith in you... I believe that you all can assist me in giving back the Roman State her glory and restore that which was lost, can I count on each and every one of you?"
    "Yes, my Emperor!" Responded all five lords together.

"Then let us begin,"replied the Emperor who then waved his new council members to take their seats and waved away the Parakoimomenos - who retired near the door - and the Katastaseos - who retired completely as he was no longer needed, bowing low before he left. The Emperor than permitted the other assembled military officers to take their seats behind the council members and also to the civilian officers who sat opposite the various generals. The Emperor than looked toward Nikodemos and smiled as he said, "Most Noble Nikodemos, good of you to come!"

"I am at your service my Emperor," Nikodemos responded as he bowed in a very respectful and graceful manner.
    "Please take your seat," replied the Emperor as he pointed to the empty chair closest to him on the side occupied by the other military officers.
    "As you wish my Emperor," answered Nikodemos, again in a low bow and dutifully took his seat.

Once seated, the Emperor called upon the Ecclesiarch to intercede for God's divine knowledge to be poured upon those present and after the prayer was concluded, the Emperor then said,

"Very well then, let us begin: The foremost matter to discuss this day is the issue regarding our ability to embark on a military campaign to re-take our lost provinces. Therefore, we shall begin with discussing the various problems that currently plague the effectiveness of the Roman army. Count Leon, I believe you agree with me that something radical must be done to reverse our fortunes?"

"Indeed supreme sovereign," replied the Count and after he stood up continued, "something radical must be done. If our armies are expected to march thousands of miles and fight the numerous battles necessary to achieve success in this endeavor, we must destroy the only obstacle that stands before them… despair. If we are to succeed in anything, their belief in victory must be restored.”

The Archistrategos’ words caused a rumble of agreement among the various men assembled, none more so than the military officers, who nodded their heads to one another – concurring in what their Archistrategos had just pointed out as the army’s main problem. After several moments, Count Leon continued his oration,

“The army's last encounter with the Saracens ended in utter defeat, and though they still remained on the field, their morale was shattered. So shattered were they at the possibility of an Islamic conquest that they gave up all hope of ever being victorious against our greatest foe. Truly; I believe it is doubtful if they will ever have the courage and indeed the will to fight, much less spearhead an invasion to retake the lost provinces. For I say unto you all - here present, that unless they recover, their mental capacity to wage war will forever be forsaken and they will never be able to obtain victory through force of arms. Unless these great misfortunes are reversed, I fear the Roman State will remain stagnant until it crumbles and falls."
    And with a deathly stare, Leon slowly turned to face the assembled officials as he finished.

The Count Leon was an experienced, vibrant and skilled tactician. Having fought many battles against the Arabs, he had developed an excellent sense of stewardship in finance despite not having much of an intellectual education. Noticing this new found skill, he had gained Basileios' attention while he was Co-Emperor with the Emperor Michael. The Count had tried to approach the then Emperor with a memoranda - stating the various problems with the army and the necessary steps needed to correct them - but was ignored. The memoranda then fell into the hands of Basileios who read it, studied it and found it to be very promising, the answer to the army's obvious flaws. The Doux had used his stewardship skills, as well as ‘several tips’ by Basileios, to develop a formula that could restore the army’s confidence as well as use them to their utmost abilities by utilizing a simple but powerful concept. This idea, that came about by constantly battling the Arabs, was shared by most of the officer corps and by applying it on a massive Imperial scale – could indeed change the course of Roman fortunes.

"Great and terrible are you words, dear Count,” replied Basileios, “I do not believe that truer words can be spoken on the subject,” and after slightly squinting his eyes continued - nodding his head as he spoke, “Though it is most extraordinary how you and I are of one mind,” regaining his composure as he concluded,

“The army is indeed in a demoralized state and if we are to succeed something must be done!”

After quickly pausing to straighten himself into a more regal figure, he continued with an authoritative tone,

"Without the will to fight and with their minds filled with defeat and despair, they cannot be expected to endure the hardships and sacrifice that comes hand in hand with military conquest ... For their martial discipline is all but sapped. So what can be done to remedy this shameful - disadvantageous position?"

"My Emperor," began Leon,

"I have humbly developed a possible solution that might, with God's help, remedy the army's precarious state. They only need but to be made a new, reforged in the fires of war and cooled in the waters of victory. Only then can they be expected to take on any foe and be sure of nothing save absolute victory!"

Once Leon finished speaking, the room was filled with men in a puzzled state.

("Had not both the Emperor and the Archistrategos say that they cannot fight? Then how can they be reforged in battle?")

Was the question on everyone's mind... save the Emperor’s. Leon, sensing this continued,

"They must be made a new, re organized and re drilled on the field daily until they match the formidable effectiveness of the great legionaries of old. They must be reforged in a war not against men but against the mind, against themselves. They must be taught to combat their own self-perceived weaknesses and their own false belief in Saracen Hegemony over Roman arms - for only then, can their minds be free of doubt and filled with the belief of total victory – unbowed in their will to dominate any enemy before them. And with their passions aflame, they will remake themselves into the force needed to take back Rhomania!”

Raising a clenched fist as Leon shouted his last words, filling the room with an echo, “Rhomania…Rhomania…Rhomania.”
    Again, leaving everyone speechless at his words.

The Emperor then crossed his arms and then began to stroke his chin, hiding an approving grin at Leon’s words, “perfectly said,” he thought to himself, “I knew Leon would not fail me!” He then turned his eyes toward his Magistros the Doux Theodotos, since he motioned his arm to speak and as he gave Theodotos an approving gesture, said to himself, “Now comes the anvil”.

"Supreme sovereign, with your permission," Said Theodotos with a patronizing look on his face, getting Basileios' approving nod before turning to Leon and continuing in a somewhat condescending tone, “I commend you noble sir, a fine - stirring display of oratory skills unmatched by your able predecessors, most Noble Archistrategos. However, I am most sure that ‘what you say,’ is not something that this noble assembly has heard before. But rest assured that I do not doubt your mental capacity to procure a definite and comprehensible response, but what exactly can you do that has not been done before, to improve our noble soldiers’ mental capacity to wage war?"

The Doux Theodotos was a powerful member of the emerging Anatolian aristocracy and having the most important Theme in the East, the Opsikion, under his control - made him the most powerful vassal in the Empire. For by controlling the gateway of Constantinople, the Doux can potentially amass the men and resources to turn the tide in any conflict – any. So the fact that he was an excellent diplomat as well as someone to keep as a close ally, made him the perfect candidate for the high position of Magistros, a double bonus as the Emperor saw it – but it also caused certain unwanted attributes as well. An excellent diplomat with a quick tongue can be your greatest asset or your greatest enemy, depending on which direction he sways – unfortunately for Basileios, Doux Theodotos was just that kind of man.

Leon, sensing that Theodotos was being condescending, looked at him and with a slight smile lowered his head before answering, "Noble Ecclesiarch, what moves men's minds and inflames his passions to act more so than any other medium?" Turning his head quickly toward the Bishop Theophanes as he finished.
    "I… eh… I suppose the word of God...eh… spoken from the mouth of a man of God," Theophanes responded after being taken aback by the Archistrategos' quick words, straightening himself as he spoke.
    "Exactly! Dear Bishop," Leon quickly said as he stretched his hand toward Theophanes in an approving gesture,

"Nothing moves man's mind more quickly with such zeal than being told the truth from a man of God," Turning his body around as he spoke - gazing at everyone in attendance as he continued,

"Just as the Great Emperor Herakleios took extraordinary measures to launch his great campaign to retake the lands conquered by the Persians, so too must we take extraordinary measures to retake the provinces lost to the Saracens!"

"Then what exactly will we do?" Theodotos slowly asked, slightly taken aback by Leon’s quick response.

"We shall use the power of God!"

Leon slowly replied as he gazed toward the heavens with his arms stretched out in front of him.

His answer to the Magistros' question caused a whirlwind of confusion from the assembled officers and magistrates, as well as worrisome looks from the assembled priests. Never had a military officer brought forth such a radical solution - to the Emperor however, it was welcomed as a fresh breeze in summer, as expected.

"Just what exactly are you proposing noble Archistrategos?" Asked the Ecclesiarch in a cautious manner.

"With your permission, most August Emperor," bowing before Basileios, "and with your humble blessing most pious Theophanes," bowing then to the Ecclesiarch before continuing,

"I ask the church to assist the Imperial State with this endeavor, I ask that laymen be used to ensure the success of our righteous cause!" Leon shouted - startling everyone who herd,

"May they be used as tools to preach divine favor and martial fervor into the hearts and minds of our noble warriors and just as they use the Divine Liturgy to communicate with God, so too will they use a liturgy that will communicate the Emperor's message of victory for the followers of the cross!"

Making the sign of the cross as he finished, Leon then stood there, silently looking at the assembled men before once again turning to Basileios - who sat there with his index finger pointing up on his forehead and with the rest of his fingers against his lips, covering the grin that slowly appeared as his Archistrategos concluded his master plan - and said in a low but confident tone,

"My Emperor, only belief in Christ can ensure absolute victory and only through his divine intervention can our men triumph over any enemy! And just as our people worship God wholeheartedly, so too must they serve their Emperor with such devotion – for just as he rules men in God’s name, so too must his will be seen as mirroring the divine! For just as we say about our devotion to the Most High, whoever is not with him, is against him!”

(Count Leon giving his stunning conclusion to what will be know as Imperial policy)

Basileios, after several moments of hearing the echo of the Archistragetos’ final words, slowly arose - quickly followed by everyone in the room, and with a divinely inspired sense of majesty he answered,

"Your words have moved our imperial majesty. For we have heard the solution to our dreadful plight. Through divine favor and through our indomitable will, we shall see the restoration of our Roman State."

His words made some feel completely bewildered but others became filled with resentment. They felt that they should not have to choose between two ultimatums. As Romans, they felt as it was their divine right to follow the path of their own choosing. Not ‘serving the state/Emperor or else.’ But those that felt the most resentment were the attending priests, who found themselves caught between a sense bewilderment and outrage at what the Archistrategos was proposing but to the army - the military officers present, it was as if one breathed new into them, for if they fought with divine blessings ringing in their ears of conquest and victory for the glory of God through divine service toward the Emperor, then surely the restoration of the Roman State would not only be possible but assured - for who can stand against the God-appointed vice-regent on earth?

“Noble Ecclesiarch!” shouted Basileios – causing Theophanes to look up in response as the Emperor continued,

“Your Emperor and the Roman State ‘humbly’ expect you and your pious colleagues to begin the search of providing good, zealous, loyal and dedicated laymen to become the sharp tools of this sacred endeavor! We expect you and your pious college of bishops to formulate the necessary sermons into an effective rhetoric that these ‘laymen’ can use to inflame the passions of all who hear it. So that they may ‘homilize’ Rhomania’s sacred mission to every Roman in the Empire!

The Emperor then turned to the rest of the men in the room,

“Gentlemen, I believe that the rise and fall of the Roman State will depend on whether or not we believe - that restoring the Glory that was Rome, is doing God’s will on earth. We must believe that it is so, we cannot survive unless it is so. We must instill this belief into the hearts and minds of every citizen - of every Roman living now and those that will come after us. They must come to believe; that serving the state, the people are also serving the will of heaven and must therefore put every last ounce of strength and every breath into this righteous cause until it is fulfilled! This is what they must come to believe and this is what they must choose to do. For if we cannot come together and stand against the followers of the false prophet, then how can the Roman people be his chosen instruments on earth?”

The final question put many of the assembled men in an uncomfortable position. Clearly, their Emperor, has chosen the ambition to become ‘Exalted above men” and while some delighted in hearing the Emperor speak of elevating the ‘State,’ i.e. himself, into something of a quasi-divine ‘status’, most however did not and could not agree with the possibility of elevating the emperorship into a quasi-divine role like the pagan emperors of old. As they began to understand what was being expounded to them, most came to the conclusion that what the Emperor wanted was a kind of blind obedience to the state – total control of the population by instructing them to focus all of their energies into serving the state, i.e. the will of God, by obeying the Emperor and believing that his will – mirrors the divine. Something the powerful Aristocrats and indeed some members of the clergy, were not going to allow to happen so easily.

After completing his dictation, Basileios again shouted to another member of the council but this time to his minister of finance, “Noble Sakellarios!”
    The Doux Theodoros responded by lowering his head and placing his right hand over his chest as he made one step forward responding in a quick and enthusiastic tone, “Yes Supreme Sovereign!”
    “As keeper of the Sacred Largess, can we rely on you to procure and ensure that the Roman State has the necessary funds to manage this sacred mission and see it done?”

Basileios said with a slow, steady and shrewd voice – slurring the final words as he raised his left eyebrow.

“Place all responsibility on your faithfull Sakellarios, my Emperor. The state treasury will meet all needs and necessities that your Imperial Majesty requires – to see our glorious Rhomania rise again!”

And after raising his head, Theodoros concluded,

“I shall not fail thee!”

“Most excellent, my noble Doux. We will rest assured that the wells of plenty will not run dry as our men forge through hell and fire to see our banners fly across the eastern skies!” Replied the Emperor as he raised his hand toward the ceiling – pointing toward the eastern corner of the room as he ended. But as Basileios was speaking, the Doux was uttering his own thoughts under his breath,

(“Rest assured my dear Emperor, the wells will be deep, but given only to what makes right, and what is right will depend on you.”)

The Doux Theodoros, like any financial mind, knew what risks to take and how to plan accordingly to any occasion. Basileios knew him as someone who could be trusted with such a great responsibility, such as keeping the imperial treasury full and at the Emperor’s disposal whenever needed. But just like any Roman, there was only so much one could know about someone’s true character and therefore, the Emperor knew to always have a second set of eyes looking around whenever he could not. To curb corruption and ensure that ‘every’ coin was at his disposal, he needed someone who was loyal to him but more so, loyal to the Roman State – loyal enough to want to see the Roman Empire restored to its former glory. But alas, only time would tell.

As the Sakellarios concluded, the Emperor addressed the final member of the council,

“And finally to our most dutiful Logothetes tou Dromou, I am sure that you will no doubt use your talents to a profitable end?”

As the Emperor finished his sentence, all looked toward the spymaster through the corners of their eyes with a distrustful glare as he replied slowly and confidently the following words as he raised his head to reply,

“Believe me as I say, most August Majesty – that the Sacred Largess will be bursting at the seams.” Slightly twisting his head down as he continued to stare at the Emperor.

Nothing was really known about the Doux from the Peloponnese, a fact the Emperor was most pleased to discover as time went on. Even though he was a member of the Roman aristocracy, he kept a very simple and retracted lifestyle. Desiring to be alone; reading and studying the great histories of the past, he attracted Basileios’ attention under mysterious circumstances – the exact details, no one knew - causing him to be distrusted by everyone in attendance and now that he was the Mystikos, feared to no end. To the Emperor, he had them right where he wanted them, unsure to what kind of spider sat on his shoulder and what kind of web he was creating. But he also knew that such a spider was just as dangerous as it was useful – for he too knew little of the man that was his Spymaster and therefore reserved himself to never trust a man that deals in the shadows.

“I expect nothing less from such a gifted mind, be sure to use it wisely,” responded Basileios in a mirrored pose. Thinking to himself, “We shall watch and observe you very closely my dear Chrysaphios – to use you and if need be, destroy you.”

With all of his chief ministers addressed and given privy to his plan the Emperor then began to look around the room at the various men who stood before them. Knowing that some of them were planning to join him whole heartedly in restoring the Roman Empire, some were going to go just as long as it would be profitable but that most were plotting their own machinations; either to use him or destroy him. The Emperor always knew, even while he was just another courtier, that there was only so much trust he could hand out to any individual vassal. And that to be a truly effective ruler, a capable Roman Emperor, he needed able men – those he could rely on to accomplish various tasks from beginning to end despite their personal loyalties. But he also knew that there were limits and that to be an emperor – a long reigning one at that – circles within circles needed to exist and coincide with each other in order to make sure that no one person could predict what the Emperor was contemplating at any given time. But again, there was only so much he could know about one particular person – their ambitions, motives, desires, loyalties, etc. that could never be uncovered, but the one thing that Basileios was assured, was his good right arm. Throughout the audience, Nikodemos sat among his fellow officers studying every word said and every action made. He was filled to the brim with martial vigor as he heard the words of the Archistrategos and developed great resentment toward those present who did not seem to share in the Emperor’s vision. He came to the conclusion that the room and indeed the whole empire would be divided – between the adherents and the antagonists. From this moment on, he concluded that until the Emperor’s power is fully established - all those present were potential enemies of the Emperor. To him, anyone that would not follow the Emperor’s plan of Imperial restoration would be an enemy of the state, and would do everything in his power to see the Emperor’s enemies broken before him. After all, he had served the Emperor one night before…

After finishing surveying the room, the Emperor collected himself and began to speak in a low but commanding tone,

“Romans, we must always remember, if God is with us, who can stand against us! We must hold fast to our faith and believe that with God’s help we can overcome any enemy. With his holy and divine assistance, we shall overcome any obstacle and we shall see our glorious banners fly high above the four corners of Our Lake! With God behind us we shall restore all that was taken and all will know… that we are his chosen people!”

Raising his head toward heaven after he finished, he suddenly raised his right hand and making the sign of the holy trinity shouted,

“Nobiscum Deus! God is with us!”

Which was followed by, “Tu Vincas, Basileios!” By all those present.

After which the Emperor lowered his head and followed by everyone else bowing with their right hands over their chest and then shouted all together to the Emperor, “Then let God’s will be done – as the Emperor decrees!”

(The Emperor Basileios standing before the assembled officers of the Empire)

“So let God’s will be done,” replied Basileios in a low voice to himself as he waved to the Parakoimomenos who then slammed his staff, causing the Silentarios to cry,

“This audience is at an end, go in peace in the service of the Emperor.”

Afterward the Emperor turned to leave the room and was followed by the Parakoimomenos slamming his staff on the floor, causing everyone in the room to bow low as the Emperor exited the same doors he came into. After he left the Parakoimomenos again slammed his staff and quickly turned to follow the Emperor, exiting through the same doors as the assembled lords regained their postures. Already, with the words of divine service still ringing in their ears, many of the high nobles began to plot to themselves the best possible solution to hinder these reforms if not destroy them completely. Never before had they an Emperor so radical in his insistence of doing whatever it took to restore the old boundaries of the Roman Empire and while they did not disagree with such an ambitious project, they did not agree in the manner of which it would be done.

With the ceremony over, the first council meeting of a reigning Emperor was always filled with pomp and large entourages – future ones would be a lot more informal and personal, the assembled officers exited the Konsistorion and emptied out into the courtyard to unwind themselves after such an audience. Most of them then returned to their homes, the Imperial and State offices would close for such ceremonies at the Great Palace due to the simple fact that most of the bureaucrats would be there and not at their posts. Count Leon, however, was surrounded by various courtiers and noblemen, mostly from the officer corps, to congratulate him on his stunning plan to restore Roman military fortune. The new Magistros Theodotos immediately headed with his entourage of Imperial bureaucrats, to the offices of the Sakellarios with Theodoros at his side to formulate the means by which the Roman State would handle such a titanic endeavor. All the while the Ecclesiarch headed to the Patriarchate to explain what transpired in the council meeting and see if anything could be done to support and endorse the Emperor’s ‘State Dogma’ as it would come to be known as, or refute it. The Mystikos, however, was nowhere to be seen – as was to be expected, already he was doing the task of running the empire’s shadows, to what end – only time would tell.

Nikodemos, with new vigor and a divine sense of duty, found Athanasios and while walking together toward the Barracks of the Excubitors, he begin to tell him of the ‘Revelation of Restoration.’

“We must prepare ourselves, Athanasios,” he said, as he gazed forward in a determined and space less glare.

“The Emperor will rely on us, his Kandidatoi, to see that his will be done! He must have our undying support if he is to succeed in ridding the Roman State of the cancer that seeks to destroy it!”

(Athanasios and Nikodemos walking to the Excubitores Barracks)

“If what you say is true, Nikodemos,” replied Athanasios in an inquisitive tone as he shared glances between the route and his commander but with no less determination.

“Then surely God will not allow our Emperor’s words to fall on deaf ears. There is something in the air… I can feel it flowing through my body. A new consciousness whose origin has to be divine.”

“Always remember Athanasios,” replied Nikodemos, “What you feel is not as important as what our men see… they must see our Emperor’s Dogma as the message of victory. Only then will they see its origin as divine, only then will they follow our Emperor… only then can we arise from this slum of decay.”

As Nikodemos finished, Athanasios pondered deeply to what his superior said, and as two doors opened before them, he prayed to himself,

(“Then may God grant the Emperor this victory, and may God grant me the means to see it done!”)

As the doors closed behind them, all thoughts now turned to the Emperor, who retired to the balcony of the Boukeleon Palace that overlooked the Sea of Marmara and with his wife at his side leaning against his shoulder – began to think of what the future might hold. For he was looking forward to the moment when all of his dreams would come true and the day when the Glory that was Rome returns to see Imperial Banner of the Blazon Sun waving proudly beneath the heavens. But just as the clouds of doubt and decay were beginning to lift from the Imperial City, dark clouds began to form over an island to west – were a lonely rock was about to be hit by a mighty wave at the edge of the sea that used to be called the ’Roman Lake,’ for just as the day was coming to an end, a man, rugged and weary from days of riding along the Via Egnatia to the capital stood before the great bronze doors of the Chalke gate bidding entry. For in his possession was a message – a message of the utmost importance and as the sentry finished reading the letter he immediately ordered the gate to be opened.

(The Chalke Gate, the ceremonial entrance to the Sacred Palace)

Word soon spread among the Palatine guardsmen of the events unfolding in the west and as the man entered the Excubitor’s Barracks, he was brought before the Magistros of the Kandidatoi, staggering as he tried to salute Nikodemos but when the Magistros realized that the man was dressed in the robes of an Imperial Mandator, he immediately ordered the man to quickly deliver the message. Breathing heavily as he furnished the scroll from its bronze container, he then handed it over to Nikodemos who quickly took the letter from his hands and as he read it’s content, his eyes widened. His heart began to beat faster and his mind began to race. And as soon as he finished reading the letter he quickly screamed,

“Awaken the Parakoimomenos!” Running toward the Octagon, the Imperial Bedchamber, as he spoke.

And once he got there he was stopped by a Chamberlain, for the Parakoimomenos had not yet arrived, who began to address him ceremonially but Nikodemos had no time and quickly threw him aside – caught by the other Excubitors who followed him, and immediately slammed on the doors screaming,

“My Emperor! Supreme Sovereign! Awaken in the name of the Empire! Dreadful news has arrived from the west! Emperor, EMPEROR!”

A few moments later, the doors opened and Basileios entered before him, slightly bewildered but no less regal with his Empress poking her head slightly out the door and after prostrating himself, he raised his arm and placed the message before him. The Emperor quickly took the message and after reading it said as he slowly lowered it,

“Awaken the Assemblies - notify all Mandators to present themselves within the hour and tell them all, that Sicily is about to be engulfed in flames and they are to order the detachments and raise all Thematic Levies and let them all know, that the Roman Army will prepare itself for war!”

Feeling that the hour had come, Nikodemos felt within him the rage of war and after regaining his posture he quickly shouted raising his right hand,

“Tu Vincas, Basileios!” Which was followed by the Excubitors in attendance and then said,

“May the Emperor lead us to victory! May Roman Arms, through divine favor, emerge triumphant over any enemy!”
    Which was then followed by the other Excubitors shouting, “Deus, Adiuto Romani! Iesus Xristus, Nika!”

Amidst the chanting cries of jubilant support, Basileios thought to himself, “Now will we see if our men will be hardened in the fires of war or crushed by its intensity, may God be with us, may God by with me.”

(With the court notified of the Emperor’s agenda and ambitious will they comply? And now with Basileios notified of the Aghlabid Invasion will he be able to reforge the Roman Army and led them to Victory? Stay tuned and see if he will restore the Glory that was Rome)

NO POST TODAY, SORRY ABOUT THAT. IT SHOULD BE READY BY NEXT WEEK.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Exceptional, really exceptional! I can't wait for more. +Rep.

EDIT:

Great illustrations btw, did you draw them yourself?

Thank you, and yes all of the illustrations are drawn by me.

Huh, seems there should be a market for graphic novel with really...err- Byzantine plot twists and backstabbing. One of the better AAR's I've seen- nice job.

Sorry about this guys, I have the next chapter but sense it is starting to become rather long and complicated, I have decided to release it in two parts, sorry no illustrations right now, will post when they are ready. So here is part I of Chapter II, enjoy.

CHAPTER II: DIVINE ACTION (Part I)

25 of February in the Era of the World 6375 (868)

(On the Road, 15 miles from the City of Dyrrachion)

Several weeks had passed since the Emperor Basileios had ordered the Detachments and the raising of the Thematic Levies on that fateful night and as the Emperor marches with his soldiers many among the rank and file, share their thoughts on the coming battle and what part they will play on the road to the restoration of the Roman Empire.

“Press on men, keep your spirits high! It won’t be long until we reach Dyrrachion!” said a Hekatontarch (Centurion), named Tiberios, to his men as they marched along the great Via Egnatia. He was a seasoned veteran and a very capable leader of men, serving along the northern frontier to keep a careful watch against Bulgar raiders – as well as leading several expeditionary raids of his own.

“The Arabs will soon feel the sting of Roman arms, have faith and remember that the Almighty God is on our side!”
    He continued to shout to his men, but his words did little to affect their overall morale for the army was not so keen on leaving their homes and farmsteads to fight on some distant island to the West, however – what they were about to experience would change their lives forever.

(“Lord up above, I don’t think I could take much more of this!”)

Thought one of the soldiers to himself, (“I forgot how miserable it was to march with this fighting kit!”)

The men of the Western Themes: that is from Thrace, Macedonia, Greece, and Illyricum, have for the past several decades spent most of their service as a primary defensive force. Marching very little, maintaining their presence along the various fortifications built along the northern frontier as well at the occasional strongholds scattered throughout the Balkans to defend the countryside against Bulgar raiders.

“You know Ioannes, I heard that only the western Themata were called up to serve in the Expeditionary force to Sicily,” said one of the soldiers to another after their Hekatontarch, Tiberios continued further down the column.

“I would not doubt it Sabatios,” replied Ioannes, groaning as he thought of his aching feet.

“I’m sure that our Emperor wouldn’t dare let any of the great estates of the eastern Douxs to suffer any un-pleasantries from the Saracens,” continued Sabatios sarcastically, chuckling as he finished.

“Well at least he’s here,” retorted Ioannes after he gave a slight chuckle, catching his breath before continuing, “At least he’s not off in his… fancy palace ordering us to die! It would… however be ideal… if we were on mules instead of our feet!”

Sabatios responded with a hearty laugh, causing Ioannes and a few other soldiers around them who heard to chuckle slightly but their carefree state was soon shattered after they heard a booming voice erupt right behind them.

“Just as the miller grinds the grain to get the flour that feeds the Empire, so too must the Emperor’s warriors be grinned into the fuel that will restore the glory of Rhomania!”

The sudden voice caused a violent shutter to erupt on all those who heard the voice. Both Sabatios and Ioannes looked at each other through the sides of their eyes before slowly turning around simultaneously to find the owner of the powerful voice they had just heard and what they found, was not what they expected.

“Remember brave Romans,” replied what they understood to be either a priest or monk, clothed in a simple black tunic that reached the floor fastened by a red rope tied around his waist with a grey hooded-cloak clasped around his shoulders – who continued,

“A soldier is most effective when he appreciates the hardships it took him to get him where he is needed and That our great and all powerful God, will delight in the servants who suffer the most for his glory.”

Not knowing how to respond, both men continued to stare at this… church man, who continued to walk at a faster pace before them, noticing as they turned their heads in his direction – that in his right hand, he carried a silver pole and in his left, a long object that looked like a rolled up rug.

“Who, in God’s holy name, was that man?” They both thought to themselves as they faced one another. Never before had they seen any priest, monk or any member of the church for that matter, dressed in such fashion. They both wondered, as well as everyone else who saw him past by, “who was he, and what purpose does he have with this march?” They all let their imaginations run wild with various possibilities but all eventually came to the conclusion that his purpose would be revealed before long. The grey hooded man, however, continued to walk at a faster pace, acquiring curious stares by the men as he passed them by; maintaining a strong authoritative bearing as he walked through the snow. Staring off into the distance with the most determined look in his eye, as if the whole world depended on his very existence on earth.

“Soon,” he thought to himself, “With the help and divine intervention of the most high; our Emperor will re-forge our weary hearts and harden them in the purifying fires of war!”

And after continuing his pace for several minutes, he finally slowed down to a halt when his eyes caught, in the distance, a man riding a great white horse – surrounded by men in bright white cloaks in full armor and said to himself in a soft prayer like voice,
    “May we be found to be worthy instruments in his sacred service – may God’s will be done!”

The Emperor, as the great and noble soldier that he was, desired to be seen and understood as an emperor who leads from the front in all things. Never wanting his soldiers to see him as a leader who commands from the rear, the Emperor marched with the column as close to the front as his bodyguards would allow. Wearing a red-thick cloak around his body, with a separate hood decorated with gold trim and ornate patterns over his head and beneath his outerwear, the Emperor wore typical marching armor; thick red ornamental leather with gold-purple pteryges over his imperial riding cloak. Around him were the mounted kandidatoi of the Excubitores lead by the Magistros – Nikodemos; who rode at the Emperor’s right hand, carrying Basileios’ sword over his right shoulder to allow the Emperor to quickly draw his sword if he needed to. Behind the Emperor, Athanasios proudly rode with the imperial standard of the blazing sun of the House of Makedon in his hand, an honor arranged by Nikodemos to allow him a closer position to himself and of course the Emperor – for good and loyal men were very rare and Nikodemos needed such men at the Emperor’s side as he made sure that the inner circle of the Emperor’s bodyguard consisted of Excubitors chosen by him.

(For traditionally, the Kandidatoi were made up of men chosen from the elite guard unit, mainly the Scholarii and ever since the reforms of the Emperor Konstantinos V, it was again made up of chosen men from the Scholarii Tagmata and they became the “Anthropoi Vasileiki,” the ‘Emperor’s Men’. But ever since the defeat of the Emperor Theophilos and the rise of the man who would be co-emperor and finally the sole emperor, Basileios, Nikodemos was chosen by him to form an inner circle of men from the Excubitors that Nikodemos could trust and they then became known amongst themselves as the “Kandidatoi”, ‘the chosen ones’, to protect the co-emperor where ever he went. And once Basileios became sole emperor and was crowned so, he proclaimed that his Kandidatoi would be the official personal bodyguard of the Imperial person and would be known as such by every citizen of the empire.)
    While they were riding, an imperial mandator rode toward the Emperor and as soon as he was given permission to come closer to the imperial dignity, rode up before the Emperor to present his message.

“Supreme Sovereign,” began the mandator; bowing his head and saluting by pounding his breast before riding alongside Nikodemos, who made sure that he was between him and the Emperor, and continuing to say, “I have the honor to report that the army is making excellent time and should arrive in Dyrrachion by nightfall. Shall I make the necessary arrangements for your imperial lodgings inside the city?”

“No,” replied Basileios; who kept his gaze straight ahead, “That will not be necessary, tonight the emperor will lodge where he is supposed to be, with the army. Just as we departed the Imperial City together, so shall we stay. And at the brake of dawn, so shall we depart to face the enemies of Rome in Sicily, together. Send the camp prefects ahead and make sure that the necessary dimensions for the army’s camp are appropriate, I would like it finished and furnished by the time the army arrives.”

“I shall notify the camp prefects that the army’s camp will be prepared by the time the army arrives,” replied the mandator and after bowing his head and saluting, rode off to carry out the Emperor’s commands. Nikodemos, who continued to stare at the mandator as he speed off into the distance turned to question Basileios,

“My Emperor, are you sure that it is wise to lodge so close to the men at this time? Would it not be better to distance yourself and give the awe inspiring aura of your sacred imperial dignity?”

“No Nikodemos,” replied Basileios,

“While I sleep among them, my imperial dignity would do better and envelop their hearts and minds to the purpose of my presence in this great expedition - the divine instrument of the most high. Remember, we are here to teach and instill into the men the idea of imperial service as a divine honor; an idea that will sink faster into their minds when their ‘divine catalyst’ dwells among them.” Turning to Nikodemos as he finished, revealing a slight grin on his face.
    Nikodemos responded with a smile, then said,

“Well, if your sublime presence isn’t enough to instill divine favor into the hearts of the men, as it pertains to your majesty’s imperial policies through your Imperial dignity, than our ‘priests’ will,” lightly chuckling as he finished.
    Basileios then gave him a quick look, smiling slightly as he said,

“we will all be motivated through the will of God as it will be spoken by a ‘man’ of God and it will be through his divine will that our men will emerge from this campaign victorious and filled with divine fervor.” Then turning his head back toward the direction of the road – continued with a visible smirk on his face, “For if God is with us, than who can stand against us.”
    The Emperor’s words caused Nikodemos to reveal a smirk on his face as well and Athanasios, who rode behind the pair gave a slight smile after he had finished overhearing the Emperor’s conversation and thought to himself,

“May the Emperor’s confidence give the soldiers of Christ the courage to stand against the Islamic tide,” and after turning his head to gaze upon the Themata and the other palatine guardsmen who marched alongside them: The Excubitores, the Scholarii, and the Viglia, continued to say to himself,

“May our faith in the one true God give us the strength to endure the hardships of war; may our belief in the one who suffered for us, redeem the misery and fear we shall face against our ancient foe and may we, in the divine service of the Emperor - his vice-regent on earth - find glorious victory and divine favor as we send the deniers of Christ to hell!”
    And as he said his final words, he lowered his brow and with a zealous and determined gaze; looked up toward heaven, whispering to himself as he saw another imperial mandator riding in his direction,

“For how can God abandon his appointed ruler of men and those who serve the empire,” and finally, as the imperial mandator spoke to Nikodemos – overhearing what was spoken to the Emperor – continued to say to himself,
    “Oh Basilike, I thank the Almighty that you are safe in the God-protected imperial city, for the Saracens have already ravaged half of the civilian population in Syrakousia,” and after pausing for several moments continued with rage in his heart – looking up to the banner in his hands as he finished, “But they shall feel Roman steel soon enough, and just as we departed the Imperial city with golden trumpets – and anointing flower pedals falling among the hung wreaths of laurels along the colonnades of the Messe with the cheers and prayers of the Roman Citizens, so too shall we return to it, in triumph! And all will know - that the Roman people will not be overcome so easily by the followers of a false prophet - In Sicily, in Anatolia, in Syria, in Palestine, in Egypt or anywhere else! For we are an army in the service of divine providence, out to make all things new and all will see the Imperial Banner blazing triumphantly throughout the land and Roman arms will be feared once more!”

(Back in Konstantinople, inside the Great Palace)

A cool breeze brushes across the Sea of Marmara upon the balcony of the Boukoleon Palace as the Empress Eudokia loos out to sea with a warm clock across her shoulders. Thinking of her husband and the perilous dangers that might befall him.
    “Oh merciful God in heaven, have mercy on your humble subjects and bring back my husband and the Roman army safe and victorious,” she prayed to herself as she gave a worrying look in the direction she thought her husband was in. She had remained in the imperial city as was natural but would have forced Basileios to allow her to accompany him if she didn’t have to watch for their young son, the appointed heir apparent, Leon Makedonius called the “purple-born”, who was only one year old. As was common knowledge, a Roman Emperor is not born but made, by the army, the senate and people as was tradition going back centuries for the Roman State had banned royal rule and hereditary rights where a custom not law. So the empress needed to be sure that ‘her’ young son came to no harm while he was still in his infancy. All of these things, the dangers of both palace intrigue and the probable loss of her husband and protector, caused Eudokia to be flushed with emotion until her best friend and chief hand maiden entered onto the balcony, bowing low as she said, “Your August Majesty,” then after regaining her posture continued, “what makes the great Augusta so distraught that she makes a face of sadness?” Trying to smile as she finished, knowing full well what was affecting her mistress but attempting none the less, to alleviate the unhappiness that comes from separation.

“Oh Basilike,” Eudokia replied, “You are indeed fortunate not to have someone so close to your heart as the Emperor is to mine,” looking toward Basilike as she spoke while placing her hand over her heart as she returned her gaze out to sea. Basilike only gave a slight grin as she blushed while staring down sideways at the marble floor but raised her eyes and regained her composure as the Empress slowly returned her gaze to her and said to Eudokia,

“Have some cheer my Augusta, I am certain that the Lord’s appointed emperor will return and come to no harm while off facing the Saracens,” then while she started to come closer to the Empress continued to say, “All will be well. My Lord the Emperor will come back to you, with the sounds of golden trumpets hailing his glorious return ahead of the Roman army in triumph, and into the arms of a joyous city and a joyful empress,” placing her hands over Eudokia’s as she finished, causing the empress to turn her head toward her. Then, with teary eyes, Eudokia replied with a slight smile and nodding her head in agreement saying,

“I am sure you are right dear Basilike, may God forgive my lack of faith, for he will not forsake me and leave me to wallow in grief and despair.” (Thinking of what become of her and her young son.) And after she regained her composure concluded by stating in a firm voice, “His will, I am sure, is to see my husband carry the Roman banner throughout the land and by the faith I have in his perfect will, I shall not fear.”

Basilike, hiding her own anxiety and fears for her beloved Athanasios, smiled in agreement and said to the empress, “Well said Majesty! I am sure this to be so, that we all shall see the return of ‘our’ glorious heroes and greet them with laurels and all the love a grateful people can bestow upon such brave men. Roman arms will triumph, and it will be a sign for things to come – that no matter how far or how many enemies our men shall face, they will always return home victorious!”

Her words caused the Empress, to reply with a warm and curious smile – thinking to herself, “I wonder where this young creature found such patriotic words,” but going no further than that as their moment of silent self-reflection was soon interrupted by a knock made upon the central door inside the room. A chamberlain was then heard speaking through the door saying in the loudest voice possible,

“Most gracious and pious Augusta, have mercy upon your subject, the Patrician and Kuropalates, the noble Marinos has asked for your sanctity and begs to be in your presence.”

Eudokia, wiping away her tears as he spoke responded with a stern voice, “You may tell the noble Marinos that he has my sanctuary and that he will meet me in the audience chamber shortly.”

“At once most gracious Augusta, I shall convey your wishes to his eminence,” responded the Chamberlain who promptly left after bowing behind the door.

“Now, my dear Basilike,” Eudokia said as she walked into the room, talking off the thick cloak and placing her imperial cloak over her shoulders. Then after prompting Basilike to place a crown upon her head and ready her appearance for the upcoming audience continued, “Let us now see what the Emperor’s brother has to say.”

(With the Roman Army finally on the march, who is this mysterious man who effects the soldiers so, What will the Emperor's brother reveal to the Empress, and what has become of Sicily? Find out shortly on the second part of Chapter II: Divine Action)

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

I like what you are doing, as a fan of CKII and as a fan of Byzantine history. However, I will try to be critical (constructively), but only of the structure of your writing, in hope of possibly helping you.

What you are doing presently - here I mean the process of time, with whole chapters lasting a couple of hours, days etc. - is very time consuming, as you might have found out by now (not mentioning the artful illustrations you've been making!). I like the more detailed approach as well, but as I have found out in my own endeavors and as I think you are beginning to grasp, the massive effort tires you and soon this in turn makes the story, albeit interesting, harder and harder to write. Especially when you consider you're doing this on a forum and not for a to-be-published novel. I would see this story of yours as a novella like collection of short stories as something similar.

But if I may offer some thoughts on how I think you could improve the format (and make it perhaps more interesting and appealing for a possible reader), I would recommend you do a sort of chronicle. Let me elaborate.

I assume you know your Byzantine history by your addition of the Byzantine way of numbering years. This way was especially "popular" after the monk Theophanes wrote his Chronicle in the 9th century and indeed you use quite the similar datation.
    A chronicle is a short, year to year description of what happened, in Byzantine historiography of largely religious context or at least background (the writers often being monks).

It would be interesting to see a "new-age" chronicle in a medieval chronicle sense, with your illustrations - I find the drawings of Constantinople amazing! But what I most believe is that doing it so will help you progress through the AAR faster and offer "more" to the readers. Perhaps not story-wise, but certainly dynamics would be better. Believe me, I have struggled with this myself.

Lastly, this is your story. Many of those who have been reading it (I know McScottish is one of them) enjoy the detailed portrayal and in essence so do I. I'm not trying to tell you you should change it - please ignore me if I do! - but simply trying to help you with the opinion I have through the mistakes I've made and with the deep love I feel for the Roman Empire of the East. I would very much love to write a chronicle-like CKII AAR myself (I have tried), but second best would be to read it.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

CKII seems to be quite an interesting game
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

It is. I find it in my top 3, better than most Total War games

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I just read it, thought it was gripping stuff, loved it. I have always loved the Eastern Romans also, have a great deal in common with my beloved Seleukids.
    Look forward to reading more.
    PS. What is this game the AAR is based on, never heard of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    PS. What is this game the AAR is based on, never heard of it?
    Paradox's Crusader Kings 2.

Read my AARs:
    The Legacy of Megas Alexandros (Europa Barbarorum as Arche Seleukeia)
    The Prodigal Son (Shogun 2 as Mori)
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!