Thread: What does "Manning" mean?

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default What does "Manning" mean?

It seems from the article in wiki that its origin is quite disputed. Etymologically it appears to be Nordic in origin, and signify a 'brave man'. I suppose it is not that unrelated to the famous Housecarles, who originate from the nordic term Huskarl, meaning 'house man' (as in not a slave, but a male person employed in the house of someone).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manning

I will be using the term, in a way, due to a quite insignificant small town between Ipswich and Colchester, in the country of Essex, considerably less than a hour from London by train. That town is called Manningtree, so if you have added info on the actual specifics of why it got that name, it may also help

I never actually visited Manningtree (which apparently has the added distinction of being 'England's smallest town'), although i probably was boarded in a train in 1998 and accidentally went up to Manningtree before returning to Colchester, my original destination so that i could see the university i would study in, for the first time.

(the plot of the story does not have much to do with Manningtree, and likely there will just be some vague allusion to something there in the storyline).
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Benjamin Franklin