Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Beta]Sieges Optional submod - Updated 2019-03-28

Default [Beta]Sieges Optional submod - Updated 2019-03-28

So, tinkering around, I've managed to make the stupid siege battles entirely optional vs the AI

Basically, for all cities, major and minor, the holdout time is now 1 turn, so if you want a field battle instead of a siege battle, you lay siege, end the turn, and they will sally every time.

If anyone is interested, here is what I've got so far

DeI Optional Sieges Submod Beta

Change log:
    Rev1:
    All major cities have -15 holdout time
    AI set to always sally on an attack on minor cities

Rev2:
    Renamed the pack file for those who don't use a mod manager (named it so it overwrites DeI by default)

Rev3:
    Renamed table to prevent values overwrite

Rev4:
    Added -15 modifier to ports - towns with ports will take 2 turns (the double factor), and the sally modifier does not affect them, so best solution I could think of

Rev5:
    Updated for 1.8.4b, modified the difficulty table which was adding 5 turns to sieges
    Last edited by Santini; March 28, 2019 at 05:19 PM.

Default Re: [Submod proposal] Option siege mod

i would like to test ^^

Default Re: [Beta]Sieges Optional submod

On it. Give me a bit to test, then I will separate pack and release

Alright, it's up

Let me know!

Updated, changed the name so it loads in the correct order for those who do not use a mod manager

Updated, tables renamed

Updated, holdout modifier added to docks
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 16, 2019 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Rev4, works good so far ^^

Excellent!
    I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the defensive battles, without any luck

Finally! Can't wait to try thanks!!!

So still sieges with ports?
    Last edited by auboy; April 28, 2014 at 04:36 PM.

Sort of - they last 2 turns

So you have to siege, end turn, end turn

Because what happened is all city holdouts are 1 turn... and ports double that xD

Also, if they have a port, the sally modifier doesn't work, so if they are a minor settlement with a port, if you assault there are the usual odds for a streetfight vs open turf battle

Quote Originally Posted by Santini View Post
    Sort of - they last 2 turns

So you have to siege, end turn, end turn

Because what happened is all city holdouts are 1 turn... and ports double that xD

Also, if they have a port, the sally modifier doesn't work, so if they are a minor settlement with a port, if you assault there are the usual odds for a streetfight vs open turf battle
    So you cannot have field battles with minor settlements with ports still? I mean in a field with no town?
    Last edited by auboy; April 29, 2014 at 04:32 PM.

You can - it just takes an extra turn, unfortunately

Lay siege, and the end of the next turn they'll attack (as the holdout time is 2 turns)

This sounds great - I've always hated the number of settlement battles in TW. Fields are always more fun - with the occasional siege for variety.

For defence can't we just select the "sally forth" button?

If not, how about -ve public order for armies in settlements so we won't station armies there in the first place (the AI can receive a public order buff to negate the effect - as it wouldn't know not to move its armies out the towns)?

Do you have a sally option from fortified cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Santini View Post
    You can - it just takes an extra turn, unfortunately

Lay siege, and the end of the next turn they'll attack (as the holdout time is 2 turns)
    Ah nice! No problem with that thank you!

Thanks you Santini !

This submod has almost saved this game (not to mention DeI)...

I say almost because it doesn't get round the offensive siege AI. I thought stationing my army outside the settlements would get round this, and it was close, but the AI refuses to advance on my fort (whilst in the battle). They just stand there waiting for me. Slightly unfair, and I ain't going to spend 30 minutes fast forwarding through a battle to get a hollow, useless victory.

Unfortunately, no matter what I try, there's no way round this really dodgy AI

Any thoughts on fixes Santini?

Quote Originally Posted by rjacko10 View Post
    This submod has almost saved this game (not to mention DeI)...

I say almost because it doesn't get round the offensive siege AI. I thought stationing my army outside the settlements would get round this, and it was close, but the AI refuses to advance on my fort (whilst in the battle). They just stand there waiting for me. Slightly unfair, and I ain't going to spend 30 minutes fast forwarding through a battle to get a hollow, useless victory.

Unfortunately, no matter what I try, there's no way round this really dodgy AI

Any thoughts on fixes Santini?
    Err can't you just sally out? Also I am very interested in using this mod as I am sick to death of sieges, is it 0.9 compatible?

I had no part in making the mod, but yes, it should work with .9 just fine based on the tables used.

I guess if you get attacked by a fleet you still have city port battles?

No not working for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ano2 View Post
    Err can't you just sally out? Also I am very interested in using this mod as I am sick to death of sieges, is it 0.9 compatible?
    Well the offensive AI usually does not siege and attacks immediately so you still have horrible city battles unfortunately There is no way to sally out if your immediately attacked...

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    I had no part in making the mod, but yes, it should work with .9 just fine based on the tables used.
    Well I can't get it to work not sure why or if it is outdated?

Ok so I went ahead and modified 0.9 with the same -15 value for cities, towns, and ports but the sieges still last without any sallying so Im not sure how this mod works at all?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 16, 2019 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Only towns without ports will sally out.

Towns with ports have a 2 turn hold out, you have to wait.

I'm not sure about walled settlements. Read Santini's comments on the previous page.

ANd yes, only for defensive. This mod is a baby step inthe right direction but couldn't get any further. We have to wait until CA improve AI. They are working on it as confirmed by the moderators in the official forum.

Quote Originally Posted by rjacko10 View Post
    Only towns without ports will sally out.

Towns with ports have a 2 turn hold out, you have to wait.

I'm not sure about walled settlements. Read Santini's comments on the previous page.

ANd yes, only for defensive. This mod is a baby step inthe right direction but couldn't get any further. We have to wait until CA improve AI. They are working on it as confirmed by the moderators in the official forum.
    Thanks. So this mod still works with 0.9? I could not get it to work and then tried updating 0.9 myself by giving the same -15 for cities, towns, and ports but my offensive sieges still last without any sallying by the AI in towns with or without ports. Not sure what I am doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by auboy View Post
    Thanks. So this mod still works with 0.9? I could not get it to work and then tried updating 0.9 myself by giving the same -15 for cities, towns, and ports but my offensive sieges still last without any sallying by the AI in towns with or without ports. Not sure what I am doing wrong?
    I stopped using this mod for 0.9 because it only half fixed the problem and didn't quite seem right. So I can't confirm. You can easily tell when the mod is working because all settlements with ports and all walled settlements have a hold out time of 2 turns.

All minor portless settlements have longer hold outs but the AI will always sally.

This is all I can offer.

CA are releasing the next patch this week, hopefully we'll see some AI improvements. They've been working on it for a long time and the forum guys keep mentioning they're working on AI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast