Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Release] Sebidee's Parthian Roster Expansion

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Default [Release] Sebidee's Parthian Roster Expansion

NON-STEAM LINK

Hello everyone I've just released a new mod that expands the Parthian roster you can visit the steam page here
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=250239422

HISTORICAL RESEARCH:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

• Royal Cataphracts have a whitish appearance because I found their vanilla appearance to be underwhelming. They were dirty and dented. It stand to reason that Royal guards would have at least polished their armour.

• Kliabonophorai, or Clibinarii as the Romans called them, means "metal ovens" this is basically slang as in their metal armour they would have cooked themselves. They were not specifically colourful, infact ALL cataphracts were colourful as they decorated themselves in a similar way to medieval knights. I will post pictures at the end.

• The Pahalavan Heroic Cataphracts are an Elite unit. They are probably the closest thing you will find to fantasy in the mod but they are not implausible. Pahlav means hero and is what Cataphractes were often called. Since cataphracts wore coloured armour it also makes sense that the best would be dressed most richly. There are pictures too to support this.

• Nisean Cavalry is an elite melee cavalry unit. Historically Parthia would not have had such a distincition between shock and melee cavalry as Cataphracts would have served well in that role but the game does and I played into that. Nisean cavalry are essentially then melee cataphracts. Their rational is that they are mounted on Nisean horses, a now extinct breed that made the greatest mount in antiquity, bred in Nisa which is Parthia's in-game starting region. I am not entirely happy with their appearance but everything is still up for review.

• Leopard Skins would have been worn by the elites in Parthian society, often by kings. Leopards were common in that area then and would have been hunted. For that reason I have two elite units who wear leopard skins, they are also general units. While on the topic I would also like to mention the royal huntsmen who appear to be fantasy. They are Spear, bow cavalry and hardly unrealistic, Parthian nobility loved hunting and it seemed to be a fitting unit for a general that was not decked completely in armour.

• Mail Masks, some units have also been given masks of chain mail. This too looks like fantasy but it is realistic, it is also present in the vanilla game.

• Infantry, I went to great lengths to get the infantry right in the mod. Many Parthian mods make the mistake of adding too many infantry units to parthia, thus making them into another bland all round faction. I did not. The infantry is light or medium and are purposefully weak. They are also overpriced and are a tier higher in recruitment than their counterparts in other factions. I did feel that I had to add them though, for the sake of variety and player choice. Parthians did also use infantry in their armies thought they were not as glorified as their horse archers or cataphracts. Takabara Infantry were the bulk of the units used by the persian empire and a soear-bow infantry man would have been used by pontus too. Native Hellenic Hoplites would have been sons of greek settlers, macedonian settlers and possibly some 'copy-cat' Parthians who had a fasication with greek culture.

• Steppe units, parthia had close links to the steppes having come from there themselves. For this reason I have given them steppe units as early game units.

• Categorisation: This was difficult to do in my mod. In my mod i have melee cavalry, shock cavalry, melee light cavalry, horse archers, foot archers, cataphract horse archers, melee infantry. Real Parthian armies would have had units that were amalgamations of all of these. Horse archers were also light melee cavalry. Cataphracts were also melee cavalry AND horse archers. ALL Parthian infantry would likely have had a bow. for obvious reasons I did not feature this in the mod. Rome 2 forces us to catagorise units into very very narrow specialties and I had to go with the game.

Pictures:
    A lot of these are Sassanid era but they are essentially the same, especially the infantry who were unchanged.

Sources:

This large mod significantly beefs up the Parthian roster by adding 18 new units, and 3 reskins. The vanilla roster is small, without much diversity in unit appearances or functions and without elite units.

The aim of this mod is to increase player choice when playing as Parthia while still keeping the faction historically accurate. Parthia is still a unique, cavalry and missile dominated faction that requires you use unconventional tactics to win. Infantry units are light support troops and cavalry have been diversified and buffed. This mod is comprehensive and adds lower, mid and upper tier units.

This is the largest, most accurate Parthian roster on the workshop, new units include:

Cavalry
    1. Pahalavan Heroic Cataphracts
    2. Nisean Cavalry
    3. Parthian Light Cavalry
    4. Clibinarii
    5. Dahae Lancers
    6. Noble Camel Spearmen
    7. Early Eastern Cataphracts

Missile:
    8. Parthian Royal Huntsmen
    9. Elite Cataphracts Horse Archers
    10. Dahae Horse Archers
    11. Parthian Royal Archers
    12. Parthian Armoured Foot Archers
    13. Takabara Infantry (spear, shield and bow infantry)

Infantry:
    14. Veteran Eastern Spearmen
    15. Eastern Light Swordsmen
    16. Native Hellenic Hoplites

Transfered units from other factions:
    17. Indian Armoured Elephants
    18. Azat Knights

Reskins:
    Royal Cataphracts
    Parthian Swordsmen
    Camel Spearmen

Please go to the steam page for extra unit screenshots and for more information on unit's roles and how they are recruited.

This mod is a living file and will be changed and updated as necessary. Suggestions are welcome.

Good luck and stay tuned for more mods to come

- Sebidee.

Here are some screenshots of my favourites from the mod. There are plenty more!

Last edited by Sebidee; July 15, 2014 at 09:37 AM.

Default Re: Sebidee's Parthian Roster Expansion

May I ask how you got the chainmail veil to work with other helmets??

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonater47 View Post
    May I ask how you got the chainmail veil to work with other helmets??

You get the cataphract helmet with the mask, then you photoshop it's diffuse and erase the helmet part. You can then apply it to the variant mesh WITH another helmet. It basically means your unit is wearing 2 helmets, it's just that most of one is invisible.

Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    You get the cataphract helmet with the mask, then you photoshop it's diffuse and erase the helmet part. You can then apply it to the variant mesh WITH another helmet. It basically means your unit is wearing 2 helmets, it's just that most of one is invisible.
    Well that sounds far easier than I thought lol

Great work! +rep
    Thanks for staying real with Parthia.

Would achievements work with this mod? I haven't completed a campaign with Parthia yet and I really want to take this mod for a spin.

Also, please consider making Clibinarii a potential Roman auxiliary unit. Thank you!
    Last edited by Lord Giovanni; April 26, 2014 at 12:22 PM.

CREDO IN VNAM, SANCTAM, CATHOLICAM ET APOSTOLICAM ECCLESIAM

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Giovanni View Post
    Would achievements work with this mod? I haven't completed a campaign with Parthia yet and I really want to take this mod for a spin.

Also, please consider making Clibinarii a potential Roman auxiliary unit. Thank you!
    As far as I know mods don't affect achievements, also I will probably do an auxiliary mod sooner or later so I'll be sure to add them for you!

non-steam link please

Tiro

This is the best parthia roster I've played with. I love all of the units!

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

The units look really well.Can you provide a non-steam link for download please ?

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

Tiro

Takabara are awesome

Deleted.
    Last edited by Quintus Dias; February 20, 2021 at 01:00 AM.

This is some good stuff! Saying this as a fan of Parthia in history I'le defenitly check this out. Well done mate.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

For anyone who is asking for a non-steam download, please click on the last link in my signature.

Remember though that I do update my mods quite a lot so you should check that page or steam to dowload it again.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Great mod! Nice that the Parthian roster got some extra units

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Updated Op with non Steam Link
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Thanks to this great modder we have one of the best unit packs made for this particular faction. It's also great because he didn't go for all infantry and focused on what it truly was and that was a cavarly faction.. This is just an amazing mod. I am so looking forward to playing this with the pax romana mod...

It is really good mod. I will use it, thanks..

ariyan's Avatar Civis

Great work.
    +rep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast