Thread: Historical Character Names Mod

Indefinitely Banned

Default Historical Character Names Mod

****Historical Character Names Mod****

The Historical Character Names mod (HCN) basically fixes all the historical or grammatical errors of the characters' names, in what concerns the presented factions: Greek Cities, Macedon, Seleucid Empire, Julii, Brutii, Scipii, Egypt, Pontus, Armenia (not completely), Scythia (not completely), Thrace and Parthia.

Historical Character Names-Details
    The mod focuses exclusively on improving the historical accuracy and quality (in cases of grammatical errors) of the game's vanilla version.
    The Creative Assembly's list of character names, due to lack of time, gameplay decisions, uncoordinated research and simple, human mistakes, presented a couple of inaccuracies, which may influence negatively our immersion with the game.
    For example, having decided to make the Lagid Kingdom lool like the ancient, pharaohnic Egypt, all the Grecoegyptian characters (generals, daughters, spies and etc.) have only Egyptian names.
    Another mistake is the existence of grammatical errors (e.g. Polydeuce, instead of Polydeuces) or the unnecessary repetition of names with incorrect, minor changes (e.g. Nicocles and Nicokles).

The mod changes all the aforementioned inaccuracies, except for the ones concerning factions like Carthage, Gaul, Spain, Britons, Germany, Dacia and Numidia, because, rather unfortunately, my lack of knowledge about those factions prevents me from doing so.
    The female names are left alone, except for the case of Egypt, where Greek names like Euanthia are also provided for the wives, mothers and daughters. Moreover, as an extra addition, the parthian epithets have also been changed to more historical versions.

Installation Guide
    If you click one of the two provided links, you will be able to download the appropriate files.
    Then, go to the Rome I folder=>Data=>Text. There, you will find the vanilla file called "names". Extract it and paste it in another folder of your PC (in case, something doesn't go according to plan).
    Finally, extract and paste the downloaded file in the same location (Rome I=>Data=>text) and that's it, actually.

Links:
    1. http://filebin.ca/1K1iIET9V3xr
    2. http://filebin.ca/1K1iIET9V3xr/names.txt

Notes:

1. The mod is save compatible.
    That means you can install it and continue playing a campaign, you have already started.
    However, in certain, rare cases, there may be a conflict with the Roman changed names and the offices granted to Roman generals by the Senate, where you will be unable to reload the campaign.
    If that happens, simply replace the modded file with the vanilla one, which I recommend you again to store somewhere on your computer

2. If you notice any error, either historical or grammatical, please inform me about it, in order to correct it. However, if you are impatient, you may chage it by yourselves. Open the modded file with the notepad and make the necessary edits. They will certainly be save compatible.

3. In what concerns the Parthians, I also added several Median or Persian names (Ariomardus, Barsaentes), with the intention of underlining Parthia's starting position (Susiane and Media).

4. I hope you enjoy the mod.
    Last edited by Prince Regent George; April 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Gigantus intervenes!!!

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Historical Character Names Mod

Essential mod, +rep PRG