Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardest Faction - Economically?

Default Hardest Faction - Economically?

So here's something I find people don't discuss as much: Which faction is the hardest to maintain a stable economy? I mainly mean Vanilla, but you can throw in MOS and other submods if they're really that much different than their Vanilla counterparts.

For me, I think its either Isengard or Silvan elves. Neither can really keep up production of units needed to fend off your enemies and expand. Rohan spams horsemen that usually take a toll on your armies, and the Silvans have to fend off waves of orcs from Mordor and Misty Mountains. Lorien suffers similar to the Silvans in MOS.

What do you guys think?

chriskourou's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Hardest Faction - Economically?

Playing Silvan Elves before 3.2 was quite easy. You started with a few more cities and you could expand your economy nice and easy. In 3.2 except for the obvious threats of Ootmm and Mordor, you may end up fighting with Dwarves and more rarely with Dale. So I agree on that. I play only with the good factions though so, my opinion is 50% accurate.

Rhun and Eriador always gave me the most trouble. Eriador has pretty expensive units as I recall and very small towns. Rhun doesn't have very many towns, they're mostly smaller and very far apart slowing expansion.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I think it really depends on what are your approach and preferences, basically in vanilla TATW and MOS the evil factions have a worst economy overall (due to lower quality governors, in particular with trading skills) except Rhun and Harad, as both can develop a strong economy (Rhun has plenty of gold mines and the possibility to have intense sea trade within their biggest cities, while Harad has the strongest position ever), but I concur that Isengard (especially in MOS, due to less regions) is probably the hardest faction to build up economically or at least it was always so for me; at the same time Dunland in MOS is a walk in the park (also because their units are very cheap)

If I have to make a rank, from the hardest: Isengard, Mordor, OMM and OOG, the other three (Harad, Rhun and Dunland) are not hard at all.

For the good factions it really depends on the version too, but probably yes, the Silvans and Lorien in MOS both have a weaker economy compared to vanilla TATW, but honestly with the elves, using the best troops in ME, you don't feel you are poor, I mean with them you really need half of the troops compared to human or orc factions, so usually economy is more than enough (at least to turtle properly). Eriador too has not the best economy, but you have a strong position and two powerful allies and honestly if you know how to grow your cities it's not that hard in the end.

my rank: Lorien and Silvans (in MOS), Eriador and Dwarves (due to the split kingdom), Dale too can be tricky if you spread your kingdom too much in the begenning, all the rest are pretty easy.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

There are many different reasons economy can be difficult, but I agree with the overall choices of Lucky and Finn.

#1 Isengard
    Huge army maintenance (garrisons on all sides, no "bread basket" settlements)
    Poor expansion options - no stable choke points
    Mediocre financial settlements besides Isengard

#2 Dwarves
    High army maintenance due to marching distance - troops spend a high % of their cost crossing the map
    High corruption loss from split territory
    Infantry armies take losses - even the best infantry armies

#3 Mordor
    Expensive to hold Northern territory
    Poor income before heavy farm investment. Few mines until settlements begin upgrading.
    Saved only by imba Nazgul helping to reduce standing army costs (your 3 starting Nazgul can shred 1/2 stacks from Gondor, alone, repeatedly)

#4 Silvans
    Income is low, but maintenance requirements are also low by using archers efficiently
    The river valley can recruit Beorning mercs in a pinch, allowing lower garrisons to be maintained
    Moria may be grabbed early using Ents

#5 High Elves
    Income is low, but maintenance requirements are leisurely

Vanilla: Isengard
    DaC: Northern Dunedain (extreme low economy lol)
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

jinjo's Avatar Senator

economy of dale is terrible in vanilla

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

I never play long enough but with Gondor/Eriador I always scrape my money. I guess, because I prefer smaller factions, I can deal with Isengard better than most although I agree they aren't great for economies.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

I don't expand north as Eriador, because Weathertop is amazing to defend and a natural choke. I think this way the economy is easier, to fight Isengard and OotMM first and OoG second.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    Rhun and Eriador always gave me the most trouble. Eriador has pretty expensive units as I recall and very small towns. Rhun doesn't have very many towns, they're mostly smaller and very far apart slowing expansion.
    Eh.....Rhun you say gives you trouble, out of all the others? You sir are either a genius or have had just terrible luck with the Easterlings

Quote Originally Posted by jinjo View Post
    economy of dale is terrible in vanilla
    Ah, I forgot about Vanilla Dale, yes they do start out horribly poor despite being....well, flipping DALE

Vanilla Dale isn't too bad imho. Their military upkeep is very low assuming you rush Rhovanion region and thus get many "safe" settlements to make money and only need to maintain ~2 stacks on the narrow front. Trade with Dwarves and Silvans is pretty good

I always thought the High Elves and Eriador were the harderst factions to play on an economic level. Eriador is still the hardest faction to play in general, if anyone were to ask my opinion. I would say the OoMM is the hardest evil faction to play militarily speaking, but can have a decent economy. Before 3.2, the hardest faction to play economically would have been Harad for me, but now it is Mordor, of all things....

For vanilla I would probably say the silvans.
    For DAC its the Nothern Dunedain hands down.
    And in MOS its the High elves for me.

Bladvak's Avatar Senator

I'm a heavy player of MOS and of good factions.

In MOS, probably the hardest good faction economy-wise is Rohan, because:
    much is asked of you but you are given small, undeveloped provinces (as Gondor you are asked a lot, but at least you are given the provinces to sustain the armies; as HE, FPoE you are given small, undeveloped provinces but at least you're not asked much)
    you basically trade with yourself for the best part of 100-200 turns
    no true naval opportunities
    if you do expand into Isengard, you will lose the desire to continue playing the game, as it will offer no difficulty after you wipe it out
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    I have one complaint - this mod is so engrossing that I have lost the ability to enjoy any other mods. I tried others and they never matched up to EB.

I think Foot needs to put a warning saying "You may wish to play other mods before playing this mod, as EB will destroy your ability to find other mods exciting and fulfilling".

Milo Forsyth, Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts, Beyond Potter http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1772

Quote Originally Posted by Funeh View Post
    Vanilla: Isengard
    DaC: Northern Dunedain (extreme low economy lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by British empire View Post
    For vanilla I would probably say the silvans.
    For DAC its the Nothern Dunedain hands down.
    And in MOS its the High elves for me.
    What's the huge problem with Northern Dunedain economy? You basically get first dibs on the Remnant of Angmar mines to conquer

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

try playing VH/VH and you'll see

I tried ND and their economy is one of the poorest (maybe THE poorest) I've seen so far, mostly because of the fact that with such a small population you can't get pretty anything from rising the taxes; furthermore, there is little you can construct economically on your settlements. You can turtle a little in Amon Sul and Fornost and garrison some more troops for free in Annùminas and Fennas, but it will take a while before you'll be able to maintain enough troops on the field to be able to assail Angmar.

hard but funny, anyway, much to my likings of turtler
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

The SilvanElve NL's Avatar Civis

I really have a bg finincial problem playing as Dol Amroth in The Devide and Conquer mod. High army upkeeps, constant raids from The Haven of Umbar, ships blocking my ports and thus creating less income. I really can't play as them, as my finincial problems give me no option to construct new buildings and buy new units. I know that this is what makes them hard to play with, but I really would like to have some tips to create a better economy

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    try playing VH/VH and you'll see

I tried ND and their economy is one of the poorest (maybe THE poorest) I've seen so far, mostly because of the fact that with such a small population you can't get pretty anything from rising the taxes; furthermore, there is little you can construct economically on your settlements. You can turtle a little in Amon Sul and Fornost and garrison some more troops for free in Annùminas and Fennas, but it will take a while before you'll be able to maintain enough troops on the field to be able to assail Angmar.

hard but funny, anyway, much to my likings of turtler
    Interesting, I imagined blitzing Angmar would be the first thing to do as them I haven't tried them out except in custom battles, but I'll give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by The SilvanElve NL View Post
    I really have a bg finincial problem playing as Dol Amroth in The Devide and Conquer mod. High army upkeeps, constant raids from The Haven of Umbar, ships blocking my ports and thus creating less income. I really can't play as them, as my finincial problems give me no option to construct new buildings and buy new units. I know that this is what makes them hard to play with, but I really would like to have some tips to create a better economy
    I tried out Dol Amroth just to test the waters (not a naval pun) and I've come to the conclusion to initially SACK Umbar (the capital), collect gold, raze the buildings, and get the Udun OUTTA THERE! Before you actually leave, just keep your army outside the city with one unit still garrisoned so Umbar doesn't just waltz back in. Try to get the settlement to rebel and then leave so your enemies will focus on taking that back.

Again, I've only tried them once, but that situation worked well for me after miserably failing to maintain an economy for 15 or so turns Still, I have to give praise to DnC for creating very paced coast-to-coast warfare. As Dol Amroth, you can leave Gondor to hold back Mordor and Harad while you take out Umbar and then invade Harad from below. Khand won't be a problem as long as you expand north first.

If Gondor is beaten all the way back to your position, you're given the opportunity to get some real money-makers, courtesy of Mordor

I found that the High Elves in MOS are the most difficult faction to raise a significant standing army with. Its hard to take the territories needed to grow tax revenues without spreading yourself very thin thereby leaving yourself open to heavy counter attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmonstra View Post
    I found that the High Elves in MOS are the most difficult faction to raise a significant standing army with. Its hard to take the territories needed to grow tax revenues without spreading yourself very thin thereby leaving yourself open to heavy counter attack.
    The problem with the HE in MOS is that you need to be agressively expanding from turn 1, rather than the usual gathering of forces for taking over rebel settlements. from HE's western provinces, you need to

A) expand south and block the dwarves from expanding east
    B) build a small army and attack Goblin town from Imladris
    C) expand north from your western cities, leaving only the smallest garrisons possible
    D) do this with extremely limited unit numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast