Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All who think marijuana use is safe step forward...not so fast there under 25 year ol

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: All who think marijuana use is safe step forward...not so fast there under 25 year ol

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post

Moderation is a part of maturity.

one million times this

everything is harmful to our health, when abused; do you guys know that there actually exists water poisoning? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_poisoning ; ok, this is an extreme case, but clarifies the point, IMO.

all the matter about drugs consumption and use is really hypocritical, based only on economical and political reasons, and prohibiting is always bad, while regulating and imposing general rules about health safety is the way to prevent abuse and to help the families in educating their kids on how to deal with drugs. You can't close the problem out of the door, it will come in for sure, because the 90% of your kids' life is out of the door, so better to face it with an open mind and to face it now.

I come from an area in which drug and alchool abuse is the rule and although many have been able to avoid dependence or are able to deal with it with moderation, some have ruined themselves (a small percentage, maybe a 3-5%, still it is a lot, as we are speaking about lifes here) and to my little understanding the real cause was ignorance on the matter, impossibility to look for help to avoid denuncing yourself and family abandon.

Our findings indicate long-term cannabis use is hazardous to the white matter of the developing brain. Delaying the age at which regular use begins may minimize the severity of microstructural impairment.
    that's a good example, this should be known to potential users and their families; a try has been done when I was at school to introduce us to the badness of drugs and alchool abuses, but if you keep making it illegal the young adolescents will only take into account what the group says, as it is normal for their age; give the families the possibility to be informed and to educate and give them the responsibility to do it, as this is part of their duty, just like teaching that robbing or killing is bad and that eating too much fats is even worse, but don't hide the head under the sand. I will surely speak freely to my kids about drugs and other substancies abuse.
    Last edited by Flinn; April 30, 2014 at 08:08 AM. Reason: adding some text - corrected the wiki link not working
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Default Re: All who think marijuana use is safe step forward...not so fast there under 25 year ol

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    The problem is finding the right populations to differentiate long term from short term effects. You would need people who started young and stopped, vrs people who started later, and stopped and then compare current behavior. If they still smoked behavioral changes could be said to be from current smoking not early smoking.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive...speed=noscript

I personally find that left wingers can't laugh at themselves or their own causes, right wingers can. Its not going to be true for all people of course, but that should go without saying. Of course if I didn't say it some offended left winger would point it out
    And as i said, here in europe seems to be the oposite... that article seems also a quite broad generalization... and selective one of that.. but nice try. Or perphaps isnt that leftists lack of sense of humor, but dont find the same things funny. I dont know, i belive is the former.
    In 1992 in my country the right center wing actualy was able to censor a book, wich was putting in cause the "Virgin" Mary virginity, i guess they didnt found that funny, hell they found it offensive, imagine that. I myself find the notion hilarious that the suposedley most knowned cover up of adultery in history, would lead to well what it did.

For the record, are you saying Obama doesnt have a sense of Humor? from what i can tell Democrats seem to be more funny then Republicans. Then again im not american, what do i know.

As the marijuana issue, i honestly dont care, if its legal or not, there is alot of stuff already legal that are so harmfull, im having a hard time to belive that Weed is actualy on the top of the list.
    I just want to underline that any vice that becomes ilegal, often becomes the domain of crime organizations or endevours, and that is what worries me more. Maybe legalization isnt so bad.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; April 30, 2014 at 06:13 AM.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Obama doesnt have a sense of Humor?
    15 funniest jokes by Barack Obama at the White House

----
    Flinn
    everything is harmful to our health, when abused; do you guys know that there actually exists water poisoning?
    Indeed. Well, medical findings suggest a certain caution regarding marijuana use by people with serious heart conditions. Also, marijuana abuse has been linked to developing schizophrenia.

"Schizophrenia subjects demonstrated cannabis-related neuroanatomical differences that were consistent and exaggerated compared with cannabis-related differences found in controls....The shape differences could be explained as either due to the effects of chronic cannabis abuse or the presence of biomarkers that characterize a vulnerability to the effects of cannabis... Of special concern is that cannabis use could begin long before an adolescent or young adult would know if they were in one of these vulnerable groups"

Full Text ( Schizophrenia Bulletin- 22/2/2014)
    Last edited by Ludicus; April 30, 2014 at 03:59 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Pft. Studies.

Studies are worthless. Another study will come out later on to disprove this one. Just like eggs were bad one day and good the other. Back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Indeed. Well, medical findings suggest a certain caution regarding marijuana use by people with serious heart conditions. Also, marijuana abuse has been linked to developing schizophrenia.

"Schizophrenia subjects demonstrated cannabis-related neuroanatomical differences that were consistent and exaggerated compared with cannabis-related differences found in controls....The shape differences could be explained as either due to the effects of chronic cannabis abuse or the presence of biomarkers that characterize a vulnerability to the effects of cannabis... Of special concern is that cannabis use could begin long before an adolescent or young adult would know if they were in one of these vulnerable groups"

Full Text ( Schizophrenia Bulletin- 22/2/2014)
    a better way to sum it up would be "it's suggested that either chronic marijuana use or a genetic predisposition to schizophrenia could pose a vulnerability", not flat out saying that marijuana use causes schizophrenia in any person.

Quote Originally Posted by evenflowjimbo View Post
    Pft. Studies.

Studies are worthless. Another study will come out later on to disprove this one. Just like eggs were bad one day and good the other. Back and forth.
    Not usually worthless, but even in a well-designed study the data can be misinterpreted or more likely misunderstood and/or exaggerated by the media. In your example, I believe the current state of the knowledge is something like eating eggs is good for you, eating too many eggs is bad for you, how "too many" is defined depends on what else you're eating, your genetic predispositions for certain issues, as well as lifestyle factors such as exercise. With nutrition (and health in general) it seems like everyone is always looking for simplistic prescriptions. It's the type of thinking that takes someone from reading a study that demonstrates eating a lot of fruits and vegetables is healthy to concluding that the best diet must consist entirely of fruits and vegetables.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by evenflowjimbo View Post
    Pft. Studies.

Studies are worthless.
    Pft. Your post is worthless. Go back to the middle ages.
    ----

snuggans

... not flat out saying that marijuana use causes schizophrenia in any person.
    Obviously.Nobody said that.
    Longitudinal research should focus on the mechanistic basis of the interaction of cannabis- and disease-related effects on brain structure and function as well as evaluate the possibility that the observed morphological differences could be neurobiological markers of vulnerability to cannabis misuse.
    In fact,regarding the globus pallidal surface shape differences, and thalamic surface shape differences, the study is very interesting.Do you have some/any knowledge of the physiopathology of the central nervous system? just asking.

sumskilz
    It's the type of thinking that takes someone from reading a study that demonstrates eating a lot of fruits and vegetables is healthy to concluding that the best diet must consist entirely of fruits and vegetables.
    Who said it?...
    Last edited by Ludicus; May 01, 2014 at 06:31 AM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I don't know if you've noticed, no one is actually arguing in favor of marijuana prohibition in this thread. Though there seems to have been a few knee-jerk responses as if there has been been.
    I can start

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    And as i said, here in europe seems to be the oposite... that article seems also a quite broad generalization... and selective one of that.. but nice try. Or perphaps isnt that leftists lack of sense of humor, but dont find the same things funny. I dont know, i belive is the former.
    In 1992 in my country the right center wing actualy was able to censor a book, wich was putting in cause the "Virgin" Mary virginity, i guess they didnt found that funny, hell they found it offensive, imagine that. I myself find the notion hilarious that the suposedley most knowned cover up of adultery in history, would lead to well what it did.
    Well if a book got censored 22 years ago, I mean that settles it

A few years after that in the US there was a popular Christmas CD, this was the chorus of one of the songs.

"You can suck any d you want and still be the virgin, Mary"

http://www.amazon.com/Hankeys-Christ.../dp/B000034DII

You will notice that, yes, thats a piece of poo. The song I'm referring to is #16 "The most offensive song ever"

For the record, are you saying Obama doesnt have a sense of Humor? from what i can tell Democrats seem to be more funny then Republicans. Then again im not american, what do i know.
    Nothing really, I've seen what passes for your press, your knowledge of America is going to be horribly biased.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Who said it?...
    The whole fruitarian and raw food vegan movements are sort of like that. http://www.thefruitarian.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Not usually worthless, but even in a well-designed study the data can be misinterpreted or more likely misunderstood and/or exaggerated by the media. In your example, I believe the current state of the knowledge is something like eating eggs is good for you, eating too many eggs is bad for you, how "too many" is defined depends on what else you're eating, your genetic predispositions for certain issues, as well as lifestyle factors such as exercise. With nutrition (and health in general) it seems like everyone is always looking for simplistic prescriptions. It's the type of thinking that takes someone from reading a study that demonstrates eating a lot of fruits and vegetables is healthy to concluding that the best diet must consist entirely of fruits and vegetables.
    My favorite ones are the "breakfast" studies showing that those who eat breakfast have better health/weight/whatever, which is often exploited by breakfast cereal companies. When corrected for diet and exercise eating breakfast doesn't do anything at all, only that people who tended to each breakfast in the earlier studies were generally more health conscious because they were told that eating breakfast is healthy.

Another good one was a HFC study which used uncontrolled feeding and THEN gave people 150g of HFC on top of it, and said "yep, HFC is bad". (High Fructose Corn syrup)
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Not much sport in trying to make weed smokers paranoid, Phier ^^

Pft. Your post is worthless. Go back to the middle ages.
    At least back then people didn't have the easy option of internet with copy and paste - claiming that they know what they're posting.

Citizen

I've seen what passes for your press, your knowledge of America is going to be horribly biased.
    Nah, our knowledge of conservativism in the US is not bad at all. An example: only 43% of your fellow conservatives accept the theory of evolution.
    I am not surprised,Tea Party supporters made up 41% of the Conservative electorate, and most people who agree with the conservative Christian movement support the Tea Party.Well, to be fair, not all conservatives are religious, but we can say that Republican base is heavily white and religious.

----
    evenflowjimbo
    At least back then people didn't have the easy option of internet with copy and paste - claiming that they know what they're posting.
    I know what I am citing- I can teach you anatomy, pathophysiology -and many other things- my dear ignorant/petulant troll.
    Last edited by Ludicus; May 01, 2014 at 11:34 AM.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

----
    evenflowjimbo

I know what I am citing- I can teach you anatomy, pathophysiology -and many other things- my dear ignorant/petulant troll.
    I don't think you're being very civil. I believe you're breaking the rules by calling me names.

Of course, what can I expect from someone who uses the internet in place of their brain.

Apparently the DEA likes its budget.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Why is it then that there are so many functional marijuana smokers? I live in Canada and there are a lot of pot smokers, most of the people who smoke it are just regular working people who use it as a way to relax. That goes for young and old. Yes, pot can make some people lazier than normal but ive seen people become more motivated from smoking pot too. Usually it comes down to a persons personality. There are pot smokers who are far more motivated than non pot smokers but. Pot smoking isn't for everybody but respect a persons ability to choose for themselves especially when its something as silly and harmless as weed.

My favorite ones are the "breakfast" studies showing that those who eat breakfast have better health/weight/whatever, which is often exploited by breakfast cereal companies. When corrected for diet and exercise eating breakfast doesn't do anything at all, only that people who tended to each breakfast in the earlier studies were generally more health conscious because they were told that eating breakfast is healthy.
    From where did you get that breakfast doesn't do anything? Flies directly opposite to common sense, personal experience and basic nutritional science (regular meals are good for you).
    Last edited by Nikitn; June 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikitn View Post
    From where did you get that breakfast doesn't do anything? Flies directly opposite to common sense, personal experience and basic nutritional science (regular meals are good for you).
    The problem with common sense, is that its so commonly wrong. The world being flat is common sense too.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/ea...89573.abstract

Results: A total of 283 of the 309 participants who were randomly assigned completed the intervention. Treatment assignment did not have a significant effect on weight loss, and there was no interaction between initial breakfast eating status and treatment. Among skippers, mean (±SD) baseline weight-, age-, sex-, site-, and race-adjusted weight changes were −0.71 ± 1.16, −0.76 ± 1.26, and −0.61 ± 1.18 kg for the control, breakfast, and NB groups, respectively. Among breakfast consumers, mean (±SD) baseline weight-, age-, sex-, site-, and race-adjusted weight changes were −0.53 ± 1.16, −0.59 ± 1.06, and −0.71 ± 1.17 kg for the control, breakfast, and NB groups, respectively. Self-reported compliance with the recommendation was 93.6% for the breakfast group and 92.4% for the NB group.

Conclusions: A recommendation to eat or skip breakfast for weight loss was effective at changing self-reported breakfast eating habits, but contrary to widely espoused views this had no discernable effect on weight loss in free-living adults who were attempting to lose weight.

My shameful truth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast