Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Paradox Games -- EU4 vs CK2?

kambiz's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: New to Paradox Games -- EU4 vs CK2?

@Adamwestisgod
    I'm agree with you mate ,Something about these games attracts people (of course us strategy gamers) to them. However the games are just so difficult for newcomers ! I mean it's not about gameplay and mechanic being bad as they are actually great. It's about having no real different difficulty levels. for example in CK2 easy setting just give a little bonus to player's army (Like +5% to moral or something). at least for Me it doesn't help much to make the game really easy for Me so I can focus on learning the mechanics Imo game's difficulties should be designed according this :

- easy : developer should make it the way so beginner players can play and learn the game without fearing much pf being defeated. so there should be few challenges but not as much as to push the player so hard.

- Normal aka medium : this is what the majority intended to experience.

- Hard : this part is for hardcore players ,those who really want the AI to push them on the brink of defeat !

I myself still playing CK2 on lowest difficulty and it doesn't feel much like being really "easy" ! This is my main issue as a beginner to these games

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adamwestisgod View Post
    Thats the thing I had EU3 and got so frustrated by it I stopped playing it and swore off the series......then I got CK2 and the samething happened to me. Now I want to get EU4, something about these games just draws me to them, I love the idea of it. Now if only I was smart enough to finally climb that learning cliff it be awesome
    The EUIV Wiki and the Paradox Fora and a lot of patience are your friends! Also to not be afraid by starting a game all over again, and again, and again won't hurt either

Edit:

Concerning difficulty levels, the different countries and your approach to the game are the difficult levels and are way more complex than a simple easy, medium, hard, godlike or the such could be
    Last edited by Aikanár; May 02, 2014 at 01:22 PM.

What helped me the most with CK2 is watching a couple of videos ("newbie guides" or even regular let's plays). Of course some things might change over the course of different patches, but after quite a few videos it seemd pretty easy to get into the game, at least if you start in Ireland.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

I was never really sold on Paradox games at first. I really didn't get along with HoI3, then Victoria 2 was quite hit and miss. Then I picked up EUIV and loved it. Very streamlined and very easy to grasp. I did end up grabbing CK2 to see what all the fuss was about. The role playing aspect and the dynasty system is really cool, but in terms of actual game play I get so much more mileage out of EUIV. Part of it might be down to my own historical preferences though, as I don't dig Europe that much. I picked up the Indian expansion for CK2, hoping that it would have the Kara-Khitan dynasty, but that part of the map was greyed out

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

How much is EU3 with all the expansions?

I know that EU4 is out but EU3 is a bit different and with mods like D&T it will be fun to play.

Plus EU4 is not finished yet.I would suggest holding out until they finish the last expansion and buying EU4 plus all related expansion in a bundle.By that time the mods for EU4 will mature also.

For Chronicles (which includes all expansions) $29.99 on the Paradox store (which can be activated on steam) and for Steam it's $34.97. EU3 Complete is not complete and does not include the last two expansions, Heir to the Throne and Divine Wind. Which makes the game much more better to play.

Artifex

I prefer EU IV over CK II. I find the latter to be a bit boring compared to the possibilities EU IV has to offer (diplomacy, trade etc.).
    Still, Victoria 2 beats both of them as it has an economic system and it simulates the population.
    To the people calling Paradox games complicated: did you play the ingame tutorials or where they not helpful at all?
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Faroda View Post
    I prefer EU IV over CK II. I find the latter to be a bit boring compared to the possibilities EU IV has to offer (diplomacy, trade etc.).
    Still, Victoria 2 beats both of them as it has an economic system and it simulates the population.
    To the people calling Paradox games complicated: did you play the ingame tutorials or where they not helpful at all?
    Paradox tutorials only give you theoretical knowledge and not the practical so in that kind of sense they're useless (they also don't really update them iirc). Best way to learn PI games is by simply playing them and learning from your errors.

solarios's Avatar Laetus

My vote here is EU4. CK2 can be fun and awesome in it's own right but my cup of tea is EU4.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

EUIV is probably much better for multiplayer. I am, however, hooked on CK2 at the moment.

EU4. CK2 is much too complicated

Kaiser Quanah's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by solarios View Post
    My vote here is EU4. CK2 can be fun and awesome in it's own right but my cup of tea is EU4.
    Agreed, and might I add the global scale makes it that more immersive IMO. When your country is too big and the game has gotten too boring for you? Play as Mali and recreate their medieval empire.
    Big Iron on his hip

I think it is actually the opposite. When CKII was released I would have told anyone that this was the perfect intro to Paradox gaming, but now that EU4 is out I'd steer people in that direction. The primary reason isn't the micromanagement, it is the many many nuanced and clever tricks you have to perform to get things done in CKII that you don't have to do in EU4. Want to declare war in EU4, fine, send a diplomat to fabricate a claim, see a very clear percent completion on the screen, viola, done! Or screw it, ignore casus belli and just declare and deal with the stability issues. Want to declare war in CKII? Oh sorry, no casus belli, better work some magic, get a noble with a claim on the enemy lands to join your court, then give him a title within your empire, then declare war to get him his title in the enemy lands, voila you now have that title within your realm! And that is only one of the ways to work this kind of magic.
    Both are very accessible, EU4 is FAR easier to get up and running and very much more straightforward, both excellent games.
    All that said, I got my start in Paradox gaming from an EUII precursor, development trial project Crown of the North - a simplified version of EUII. The same thing exists now for CKII in Sengoku. It is less complex than CKII and still very fun, great intro game. (BTW, I don't think that March of Eagles is the same kind of introductory type game).

EU4

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Funny, I always found EU4 much easier to get into than CK2.

In EU i just jump in and start playing, and learn new stuff on the go, maybe I don't do things as good as I could because I ignore a lot of features, but what I learn I apply to the next game.

In CK2 (and HoI) I can't even start a game, I have no clue about what I'm doing. I like very complex games, but I don't appreciate having to study before being able to play the game... I prefer to just learn gradually as I play the game, and I find that's not possible with CK2 and EU4, while it is somewhat manageable with EU4.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBlast View Post
    How much is EU3 with all the expansions?

I know that EU4 is out but EU3 is a bit different and with mods like D&T it will be fun to play.

Plus EU4 is not finished yet.I would suggest holding out until they finish the last expansion and buying EU4 plus all related expansion in a bundle.By that time the mods for EU4 will mature also.
    I'd go for EU4 without even considering it. EU4 removes a lot of the nonsensical micromanagement that some features of EU3 required. The game is much more enjoyable and less tedious. That said, I find the bundles to be quite expensive still. If you can get everything for 15€, (20 tops) or something like that, then don't think about it.

I have EU3:Chronicles and I don't even touch it since EU4 came out.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; December 14, 2014 at 03:09 PM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

CK2 requires a lot of micromanagement if you want a smooth run of your empire; that is very stressful and troublesome when your empire is big (like two kingdoms big).

Although play as Heretic King makes it much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    CK2 requires a lot of micromanagement if you want a smooth run of your empire; that is very stressful and troublesome when your empire is big (like two kingdoms big).

Although play as Heretic King makes it much easier.
    Basically, you also may need to do a lot of background reading on how the mechanics work with the Feudal System.

In all honesty go down the Europa Universalis root, but not EUIV, try EU: Rome, its the easiest in the series. Great for learning how to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Faroda View Post
    I find them to be not very helpful. To learn how to play games such as Europa Universalis: Rome and Crusader Kings II, I've had to look up the Wikia pages, forums, and even Youtube 'How to Play' guides. Paradox have a tendency to create bare bones tutorials that only give you a few brief sections on some aspects of the game. They never bother explaining the in-depth mechanics and how different aspects such as economics or the military relate to each other. As a result, learning to play their games can be a long drawn out frustrating experience.

Emperor PooMan's Avatar Centenarius

The first PI game I played was Vicky 2, so I found EU IV to be a piece of cake. Same with CK II.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor PooMan View Post
    The first PI game I played was Vicky 2, so I found EU IV to be a piece of cake. Same with CK II.
    Peacetime in EUIV lacks something interesting to keep time progressing. In V2 there's always something to fix and create, especially with industry. EUIV is simplified to the level that it doesn't seem that interesting to me, and quickly loses flavor, because it's not letting you hold the rudder as much.

In CKII you have to focus a whole lot on other things than just war, and it's easier to form and adapt your realm in so many different ways.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast