Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preview: Successor Factions

Default Re: Preview: Successor Factions

PERGAMON

The Kingdom of Pergamon was founded in 282 B.C. by Philethaerus, once follower of Lysimachus, one of the Diadochs of Alexender.
    Philethaerus betrayed Lysimachus during his struggle against Seleucus, and after the death of Seleucus remaind faithful to the Seleucid empire.
    Not being a totally indipendant kingdom, Pergamon however had a pratial independence, at least on its local administration.
    Historically in 263 a.C. Pergamon became totally independant, probably thanks to the subterranean help of the Ptolemies, and his king Eumenes I defeated the Seleucid army of Antiochus I.
    Pergamon was a well known mercenary haven, and lot of mecenaries came to Pergamon for being hired: Greeks from Southern Italy and Massilia, Celts, and obviouly the omnipresent "Neocretans".

ARMY LIST

Akontistai
    Sphendonetai
    Toxotai
    Toxotai Neokretikoi
    Peltastai Neokretikoi
    Thyreophoroi Neokretikoi
    Euzonoi Mysoi
    Hippotoxotai Mysoi
    Phalangitai Pergamonioi
    Politikoi Hippeis
    Politikoi Hippeis Xystophoroi
    Akrobolistai Hippakontistai Tarentinoi
    Epibatoi Pergamonioi

II b.C. troops
    Thrakiai Katoikoi

Akontistai

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sphendonetai

Toxotai

The "Neocretan canon" was a standard model for a lot of greek warriors, expecially from the isles and the Western and Southern Anatolian coastline.
    It consisted in a light equipment (compared to the hoplite one), that favoured skirmish or in any case a maneuverable approach to the fight.
    Infantry with different kind of thyreos shield, peltast-like skirmishers and archers were all aspects of different "Neocretan" warriors.

Toxotai Neokretikoi

Peltastai Neokretikoi

Thyreophoroi Neokretikoi

Akin to Lydians, Carians and Phrygians, the Mysians were considered by the Greeks as "barbarians", even if deeply hellenized.
    Their homeland, Mysia, that bordered with Bithynia, was under the direct control of Pergamon, and it was estimate that 40% of the army of Pergamon was composed by Mysians levies (
    E. V. HANSEN, "The Attalids of Pergamon"), both as medium-light infantry and horse archers .

Euzonoi Mysoi

Hippotoxotai Mysoi

Phalangitai Pergamonioi

Politikoi Hippeis

Politikoi Hippeis Xystophoroi

Akrobolistai Hippakontistai Tarentinoi

Epibatoi Pergamonioi

For being more or less a huge polis, Pergamon had not only a huge army but even a strong fleet: at Cyzicus, an island in the Propontis, actually in Mysia, there were two closed military seaports, that gave harbor around to 200 ships (Strabo, XII, 8).

II b.C. troops
    Thrakiai Katoikoi

Being a huge recruitment point for mercenaries, Pergamon underwent to the Thracian katoikoi phenomenon as the rest of the seleucid area.

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by il Pitta View Post
    The Pantodapoi units (Pantodapoi Toxotai, Pantodapoi Akontistai, Pantodapoi Sphendonetai, Pantodapoi Phalangitai and Pantodapoi Epibatoi), representing low level citizens across the whole empire will not have an AOE, but an all-out-recruitment.

On the other hand PERSIAN, MEDIAN, ELAMITE, CAPPADOCIAN, SCYTHIAN, ARABIC, JEWISH, IONIAN, PAEONIAN, MYSIANS, ECC. will be regulated by specific Area of Recruiting.
    It's not successor-specific, but in regards to this line here, will the AoRs be effective for other factions? As an example, if I'm Carthage and I conquer Persia will I be able to recruit the Persian units? I know historically it didn't happen, but if it did then they'd have been able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Black9 View Post
    It's not successor-specific, but in regards to this line here, will the AoRs be effective for other factions? As an example, if I'm Carthage and I conquer Persia will I be able to recruit the Persian units? I know historically it didn't happen, but if it did then they'd have been able to.
    Valid question. You can only recruit them as mercenaries as CAC is designed right now, which is probably more correct. We should keep this in mind while defining the mercenary pool refill rates etc.

LeicsFox's Avatar Tiro

so much hype, love the look of these factions.

in relation to Pergamon, since they were regarded as a mercenary haven, what mercenary units will they be able to recruit from their starting position?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Quote Originally Posted by johncm49 View Post
    so much hype, love the look of these factions.

in relation to Pergamon, since they were regarded as a mercenary haven, what mercenary units will they be able to recruit from their starting position?
    Thank you

Pergamon has access to these "faction mercenaries" globally:
    Mistophoroi Peltastai
    Mistophoroi Thyreophoroi

The following ones are available in starting regions (Asia):
    Mistophoroi Peltastai
    Mistophoroi Thyreophoroi
    Mistophoroi Galatikoi
    Mistophoroi Galatikoi Hippeis
    Akrobolistai Hippakontistai Elaphroi
    Mistophoroi Thyreophoroi Neokretikoi
    Mistophoroi Peltastai Neokretikoi
    Mistophoroi Hippeis Akrobolistai Tarentinoi
    Mistophoroi Sphendonetai Rhodioi
    Mistophoroi Thrakai Peltastai
    Thracian Skirmish Cavalry
    Mistophoroi Thrakai Rhomphaiophoroi
    Mistophoroi Thrakai Machairophoroi

Merry Christmas
    iutland

LeicsFox's Avatar Tiro

wow, great list, and a merry christmas to you as well.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12