Thread: The Waves of Greatness- Eastern Roman Empire AAR [BI]

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Default The Waves of Greatness- Eastern Roman Empire AAR [BI]

I saw a huge amount of mod AARs, and since I can't seem to download IB, I did the opposite and played BI. (Get it?) So this has been going on for some time, but I want to post it all at once, to give you something to read even if I don't finish. I expected an easy campaign, with Huns being shot up by Towers and Eastern Archers and Sassanids getting owned by onagers, but things began in a complex manner and the campaign remained that way. I honestly didn't expect the force of the rebellion or the sudden Frankish attacks. (More later.)

363 A.D.

The Eastern Roman Empire had grown more powerful in the wake of Constantine's death. Thriving on rich resources and healthy trade, the forces of the East were unmatched anywhere. Emperor Valens Flavius and his two sons, Theodosius Flavius and Honorius Flavius set about bringing order back to the outreaches of the Empire. Honorius Flavius moved by boat from his city, Kydonia, to the center of knowledge. His father had been angered by his continous love of the old gods, instead of the Christian religion, and had sent him there. "You want to be among pagans? The Cretans will love you!" He had yelled, sending him there and not bringing back the boats. Now Honorius was coming back to Constantinople. "Father." He said, kneeling before the old Emperor. Valens Flavius had never been a kind hearted, or open man, but now he grabbed his son and gave him a big hug. "Son! Or should I say Caesar?" Honorius didn't move. Slowly he got up. "Caesar?" Valens nodded. "I mean, we'll have to skip all the coronation parties and ceremonies, since we need you to the East. But you will be Caesar." Honorius should have been overwhelmed, but instead, he felt the weight of the Empire rest on his shoulders. Literally, as his father put the royal Purple cloak on him. "Now ride to the West, and make an old father proud." He said, clapping him on the back. Honorius Flavius immediately marched West. There, he took control of a force from his brother, Manius Flavius. Honorius and Manius together held the bridge over the Danube. For a year or two, nothing happened. On the Eastern front however.....

Philadelphea

"Sir! The people are breaking through! We can't hold them off much longer!" Jucundus, garrison commander of Philadelphea cried out. Vibius Flavius, another of the Flavian dynasty, watched as the forward soldiers were trampled by the crowd. He drew his sword, and his guards drew theirs. They charged for the last time, cutting a large swathe through the crowd until they were overwhelmed. The Palace gates were shut, but the governor had fallen. Meanwhile in Cyrene, an identical incident too place. This time, Decentus Flavius, the Governor there attempted to rally the people against Constantinople. The soldiers and people killed him and tossed his body into the sea.

From Antioch, bastion of Defence for the Eastern Roman Empire, a large army marched out, stepping on Rose petals thrown by the citizens. Theodosius Flavius and Crispus Flavius marched out, the latter being a cousin of the former. The recently disinherited son, Theodosius, marched against the Sassanids, hoping to prove his worth and make his father turn towards him again. Unlike the Parthians before them, the Sassanids seemed to be waiting for open combat, instead of hiding and ambushing. His first target was the city of Hatra. Some of the marauding forces of the Sassanids rallied immediately to face him. The forces of Captain Hormizd met him in battle. Ironically, it was the Romans who had the missile superiority over their enemies. The Sassanids had none of their famous cavalry archers or Cataphracts, they had no cavalry at all. The roman cavalry archers began to tear through the outnumbered Sassanid slingers. The Eastern archers proved devastating on the Levy spearmen the Sassanids had fielded, with one unit being completely destroyed by javelins when they got too close to roman lines. Crispus and Theodosius charged after the archers, who had begun to inflict casualties on the Roman archers themselves. The battle was won easily, and the reinforcements from Hatra had not arrived on the battlefield.

Titus Flavius was an ambitious man. He rarely followed the old ways, embracing new methods with his whole heart. He had lived most of his young adult life in Ancyra, and while he liked it, he did not wish to remain there. But he had always been oppressed by his uncle and his cousin. Valens and Theodosius Flavius. Now, he saw his chance to strike. His cousin was occupied in the East, and Valens was touring Greece. Honorius, the only other man with an army large enough to match him, was at the Danube, guarding the borders. His loyal men revolted, and the city of Ancyra became the seat of the rivals to the Roman throne at Constantinople. When Valens heard the news, he gravely called one of his real sons. While he called Theodosius and Honorius his sons, his real sons were older and men of less prospect. Theodosius, Honorius , Titus and some others were his grandchildren. Already saddened by the death of Vibius Flavius, it was with a heavy heart that he sent a messenger to Equitius Flavius to end Titus' reign.

Meanwhile, Honorius stormed the village of the Lazyges, exterminating the populace. The place was rich, but poorly defended. He knew he wouldn't be able to hold it for long. Even if he committed his entire force to the task, the weak wooden walls would mean their deaths. And that death seemed to be coming quickly, as the Vandals had arrived in Gothic territory. The Goths were quickly uprooted, and marched West, in the direction of Rome. Colonia Dacia was sacked, and then the Vandals turned West, towards Campus Lazyges. The skeleton garrison there had been given orders to surrender when the enemy arrived, to avoid unnecessary bloodshed. And they were allowed to live. The Vandals had settled down on the other side of the Danube, and Honorius was fine with that. But as the Vandals attempted to sue for peace, Honorius rushed to Constantinople, for another plague was upon them. The Huns were marching South, and had already uprooted the Roxalani. While the Roxalani hordes aided the Romans by marching towards the Sassanids, the Sarmatians marched again towards Rome, following the Goths. More trouble for the Western Roman Empire. Sirmium, Thessalonica and Constaninople were fortified to keep out hordes and raiders, Honorius personally taking control of the defense of Constantinople, while Valens defended Thessalonica. So the stance in the West switched from offensive to defensive.

But in the East, Theodosius was marching towards the ancient capital of Ctesiphon, to sack it like Carus had once done. He had already exterminated Hatras population, in retaliation for the roman blood it cost for him to take the city. Now he faced the ancient walls of the city, behind which a Sassanid General waited, alone.

Meanwhile, Equitius Flavius tried again and again to defeat the rebels in Ancyra, but was stopped by Anthemius Coriolanus. They fought again and again, and only when reinforcements form Constantinople were shipped in did Equitius take Ancyra. Titus Flavius was executed, and his money confiscated. While the Eastern Rebels were destroyed, the Western Roman rebels requested a ceasefire from Constantinople. While Valens Flavius wished a miltary solution, he found a shocking truth from the rebels. Rome had fallen to a rival throne, and civil war was all over the empire. While it was clear that the rival throne held little of value except Rome, Valens found a chance to expand his borders. He offered a ceasefire and some money in exchange for Lepcis Magna, a city in the desert.

The Eastern Roman Empire, the Empire of Byzantium and Constantine now had the strongest military in the world. The Sassanids were crippled, the Roxalani hordes to the North and Theodosius to the South were holding them in a vice. Honorius Flavius, General of the West prepared to defend Constantinople from the wrath of the Huns, the Vandals having begun to settle down. Another general stood at Sirmium, the last stronghold before Constantinople and Greece were laid bare. The Vandals, one of the major threats to Constantinoples greatness had chosen to settle on the other side of the Danube. Remaining on that side, it would be allowed for peace between the Vandals and the Romans. The Huns, however were ever aggressive. A roman diplomat approached them, requesting an alliance. While an alliance was not going to last long, it would definitely keep the Huns away from Sirmium, where Luca Flavius waited nervously. His forces were terribly strong, but the Huns might was unknown to him, and he was scared. The alliance was accepted, but Hunnic troop movements seemed contradictory. The Hunnic force was marching South from Colonia Dacia. A small force of 320 legionary spearmen attempted to stop them at the bridge across the Danube. Honorius has sent them as a message, to show that Constantinople would not back down from this challenge. But just when Honorius wanted to look strong, two things happened. First, Emperor Valens Flavius died, leaving Honorius as Emperor. Second, Constantinople was hit by a devastating plague, and Honorius was forced to evacuate his men from the city. The beautiful city was devastated, and if the Huns were wary of attacking before, they definitely weren't anymore.

Honorius was in big trouble. He couldn't move his army back into the city, where he could use the walls against the Huns. The plague would decimate his ranks. Already, nearly 200 men had died, but the infection had stopped. He knew his army would be picked apart by Hunnic archers if he was caught in the open. The token force at the bridge was his only hope of holding the Huns off for longer.

Marcianus, Captain of the force at the Danube surveyed his troops. A devout Pagan, he worshipped the old gods of Jupiter and Mars. He saw some of his soldiers, standing proud and firm, ready for battle. He saw others muttering, praying, whispering. He could see small crosses on some of their necks. He spat on the ground. "Today we are outnumbered. Today, we are alone. Today, we may fall, trampled under Barbarian hooves. But each of you now has a chance to show your bravery. The ultimate sacrifice men! And be prepared to give your lives!" His men roared back at him, 320 men ready to fight as hard as they could. The Huns arrived at night. They set up camp on the other side of the Danube, watching the roman forces. They stayed all day, and at night their laughter was heard across the river, where the cold Romans stayed without fire, for fear of becoming targets for Hunnic archers. In the daybreak, the Huns formed up to attack. Huge amounts of men gathered and got onto their horses. They picked up spears, shields and bows. Marcianus lined his men up, one unit ahead, one behind. "For Rome and Constantinople!" He cried. The battle was fairly short. The forward unit took about 40 causalties from the archers, before the Hun Captain grew agitated and sent his best men across the bridge. Light cavalry swam over the Danube, desperate to surround the Legionaries. The soldiers fought for hours, until the Huns broke through the forward line and light cavalry smashed their sides. "Retreat!" Called Marcianus. He ran backwards, hacking at the cavalry around him. He turned at full speed, and began to run. He could feel the ground shaking as hooves pounded the dirt. He turned to see a cavalry warrior laughing through startlingly white teeth and swinging a sword. Suddenly, the mans face changed. His smile died on his lips, and he pitched head first to the ground. A Legionnaire who had stopped to help him smiled. He had slain the horse. "Run commander!" He yelled. He began to run as well, and suddenly fell forwards, just like the cavalry warrior, an arrow in his windpipe. Marcianus roared in anger. The man had only been around 20 years old. He turned around, and began to slash left and right. While his men fled, he hacked at the cavalry around him. He saw his men being cut down by the enemy cavalry. He despaired, and in that despair he called upon his gods. He cut down one last cavalryman, then turned to see 5 more bearing down upon him. He looked down to see the body of the man who had saved him. He leaned down and closed his eyes. He saw the cross hanging from the mans neck. He picked it up, kissed it, and prayed to the Christian god for the first time. He was still praying while the cavalry thundered towards him. Suddenly, a brilliant white light shone from over the mountain. The Huns, fearing for their lives, retreated, and Marcianus escaped from the battlefield, along with 120 of his men. He prayed for the 200 who died, and hung the cross around his name. "In your honor." He whispered, looking in the direction of the battlefield.

Marcianus and his men had been on the move for a long time. They had originally wanted to reach the safe haven of Sirmium, because of the plague in Constaninople. But news reached them that the plague had died down, and Emperor Honorius had marched into the city. Completely convinced that no one could break through the walls of Constantinople, as well as Honorius' army, his men headed in that direction. It was a long journey before the walls of Constantinople were visible, and their tremendous size meant that it would be further still, for the walls were miles away. They arrived in front of the gates. Even Marcianus was amazed. It had been years since he had been in the great city, yet it only seemed to grow from the outside. What was yet more amazing was the amount of soldiers standing on the ramparts. A huge line of archers and Legionaries stood atop the ramparts. "Who are you?" The Captain of the guard called out. Marcianus could only see the outline of his face. "Let us in! We are the soldiers from the Danube! My name is Captain Marcianus Scipio!" Honorius leaned further over the ramparts. "You survived?" He asked, sounding shocked. Then his heart filled with joy. "You survived!" He cried out, almost hugging a soldier near him. "Let them in!" He yelled to the gatekeepers. Marcianus walked into the great city, overjoyed to see the Emperor. There would be time for hate later, but for now he felt nothing but happiness for finally being safe.

"So Scipio, you are Christian now?" Honorius asked. Only he ever dared call the captain Scipio. "Yes sire, for reasons I already explained." Marcianus answered. "You do know that the unconquerable sun might have sent its rays to save you?" He asked. Marcianus shook his head. "I was holding this cross at the time sir." For a second Honorius seemed angry. Then the moment passed and he was himself again. "If I was my father I might have you burned, but I am no idiot. You are important, valuable to the empire." Marcianus didn't comment on the fact that if he had been so important, he shouldn't have been sent on a suicide mission. He also didn't mention that the Emperor had called his father an idiot. "Well then, Scipio, I appoint you a member of my honor guard." Honorius said, breaking an uncomfortable silence. "Sire! I am overjoyed!" Marcianus replied, exhilarated at the idea. Honorius nodded. "The first Christian too. I trust you Scipio. Don't fail me." He gravely added. Marcianus nodded, and they both sipped chilled wine. "Just in case you wanted to know, the Huns retreated back across the Danube. Our spies indicate that they have marched after the Roxalani, towards Sassanid lands." Marcianus smiled at the news. Finally some good news.

Meanwhile, Theodosius Flavius continued his struggle in the East. After the Sack of Ctesiphon, he retrained his forces, and marched North. Melchior, Prince of the Sassanids was in his stronghold of Arsakia. Enraged over the Sacking of Ctesiphon and Hatra, and unhappy about the huge number of Christians in the East under Theodosius Flavius' protection, he martyred many Christians, including one he killed in Syria itself. Enraged, Theodosius marched East. For the first time, war was being fought for Religion, as Theodosius marched to Arsakia to stop the killing of Christians, while Melchior waited for him to arrive, so he could finally rid the East of Christians. In a quick siege, Honorius Flavius stormed the village of Colonia Dacia. Having been sacked by the Vandals, and then recaptured by the Vandals, and then again sacked by the Huns, the village offered little resistance, with only 400 people within its walls. The unhappy pagans there were soon put to rest as the Christian church there was demolished, to the disappointment of Marcianus. After the two largest Hordes were scared away, the Western Front quickly turned offensive. Honorius Flavius marched West, to take Vicus Sarmatae.

Manius Flavius was not scared. He was merely agitated that the Emperor had summoned him. He walked into the Long hall of Colonia Dacia. There the Emperor waited, admiring a bearskin. Manius knelt before him. "You summoned me my lord?" Manius said, patiently remaining on his knee for a minute until the Emperor spoke. "Yes Manius. You know I trust you. The garrison of Sirmium is getting agitated. There are too many soldiers in that city for its own good, and they are wasting our money. I want you to take the Garrison of Legionaries from there and attack the Vandals. You know Luca Flavius is too scared to do that." Honorius said. "B-but." Manius stammered. His nickname was Manius the Mean. For him to stammer, he must have been worried. "No buts Manius. Let me inform you that the garrison there is composed of almost 2000 troops, and you will have plenty of archers." Honorius said. Manius bowed and left. Honorius called after him. "If you don't want to do that, I could send you to the East. Alexandria needs a governor...." Manius shuddered. The one thing that scared him more than barbarians was Easterners, even friendly Easterners.

Such was Theodosius Flavius' hurry that he didn't see the huge Sassanid army until it was upon him. Syrus, a Sassanid General had gathered a huge host of men, including two units of Clibinarii. Theodosius turned to face this new enemy, his Legionaries lined up neatly. The battle began as the outnumbered Hippo-Toxotai of Theodosius moved to intercept the Clibinarii and Nomad archers on the enemy's Left flank. The Clibinarii began to devastate the horse archers, but Theodosius had a devastating new weapon, the likes of which had never been seen before in the East. Onagers. Even during the great Sieges of the Scipii, this weapon has never been used. Now it opened fire with full force. The Clibinarii, who had never seen them before, continued to advance. The onagers released two firepots, and it decimated the last three ranks of the horsemen. Meanwhile, Theodosius, who was preoccupied with the onagers, failed to notice the Levy spearmen charging after him until his men called out a warning. The roman cavalry was ordered to retreat, but Theodosius found an opening and passed the spearmen. He turned to face the spearmen as his camel riders and the guard of Flavius Classicanus charged at the Clibinarii. This unit of Eastern cavalry was depleted, and routed easily, but Syrus himself charged to face the Roman cavalry force, and a terrible clash occurred. The Spearmen were routed by Theodosius, who then pursued them. The camels that had fought with him against the spearmen turned to fight some peasants. On the other flank, the Onagers had decimated the enemy lines. The Comitatenses marched to protect them from spearmen and cavalry, and the Clibinarii were routed to Roman pila. The Sassanid left flank crumbled and broke when the Clibinarii fell, and the secondary general of Syrus fell. He had not been a man of royal blood, but he had been in command of the Left flank. The Infantry was now safe. Theodosius sprung a marvelous trap at that moment. The units he had ordered to attack the peasants as well as his own guard had managed to get behind Syrus, and now they charged the young general. In the confusion, Flavius Classicanus was slain, smote by an arrow. The battle was own and Syrus was killed. An enraged Theodosius marched to Arsakia, eager for more Sassanid blood. His anger was intensified by the death of Flavius Classicanus.

The Siege of Arsakia
    The forces of Theodosius easily broke down the walls guarding the city. The onagers destroyed the gateway and a few towers. Eager to avenge Flavius, Theodosius sent his men running in. A few fell to the numerous Sassanid slingers, but they soon entered the city. There, Theodosius organized and ordered his troops around. One unit of Comitatenses was sent to neutralize the Sassanid towers. One was sent to take out the slingers atop the gateway. The cavalry and remaining infantry charged at the Clibinarii guarding the gates. They easily routed their enemy. The Comitatenses now marched down the Street to face the remaining enemy at the center. The two units left behind mopped up the spearmen on the walls, and Theodosius entered the city. He watched his men move forward. Suddenly, a terrible horn rang out. The sound was tremendous in the closed streets. "Lock shields!" A Centurion called out in Greek, then Latin. More men answered the first call than the second. The Immortals came into view. They were clad in the finest Eastern armor. Their bows were tremendous. They all had crowns on their heads, like they were all kings. Yet only one didn't wear a crown. And that was Melchior. He was dressed simply. He stopped close to the roman lines. The routed unit of Clibinarii rallied behind him. He raised his hand and the Immortals raised their bows. As one they launched arrows at the roman lines. Many Romans fell because of the short distance between them. Theodosius sensed trouble, and charged all the roman cavalry around the flanks of the city street. Meanwhile, Melchior began to sing a war chant. The chant was picked up by the Immortals. The Clibinarii, who were the dominant cavalry force in usual battles, now seemed secondary as the Immortals charged. They pulled out maces, charging with vigor. Even when they clashed, and the cries of the fallen Romans were heard, they sang. The Clibinarii were slaughtered, but the Immortals were still there. And they fought, they fought like madmen. Left and right, Romans fell. Once in a while an Immortal would fall, but 10 Romans would fall as well. Theodosius now led a desperate attempt to surround Melchior. His men had to contend with one unit of Spearmen. One unit of spearmen were holding Theodosius. Meanwhile the Immortals swung their maces left and right, taking a life with each swing. The first unit of Legionaries was down to 40 men. 120 Legionaries had been slain to kill 3 immortals. And still the Immortals fought. It seemed the entire Roman army would break in that closed street, routed by the men with maces, the men who seemed to have unlimited power and sang songs of bravery and loyalty. But then, Melchior heard a cry. It was a shriller cry than the deep battle songs that the Immortals were seiging, but it was loud, and in the closed space it was magnified. The Imperial Household Bodyguard of Theodosius charged the Immortals.

The Immortals special tactic backfired. It had always been known that the Clibinarii could fight in two ways. With arrows and with maces. But the Immortals could fight as both at the same time. The soldiers in the back shot arrows over the heads of those in front, who used maces. But now, the roman cavalry devastated their rear archers, and the entire unit routed. It was amazing and disgusting. It was amazing to see the great Immortals fall, yet disgusting to see them give up so fast. Melchior was cut down as he tried to escape, and the Roman Cavalry finished off.

The world was changing. The Romans were flattening Sassanid forces in the South. With the Sack of Arsakia, only Phraaspa and Artaxarta remained in their control. Of these, Artaxarta was well defended, but the Roxalani hordes had bypassed it. Yet the Huns may arrive to crush them when they feel safe. The Sarmatians had formed a swathe of destruction for the Germanic barbarians, sacking multiple Villages and heading into Roman lands. The threatened Alemanni could only watch as the Sarmatians entered their lands. But the Western Roman Empire itself was in trouble. Ravenna and Rome, have rebelled, sacked by Gothic Raiders who had marched towards Massalia. Carthage and Iberia remain free of enemy control, and Gaul was wholly united by the Roman forces. Yet the Saxons, Burgundii, Lombardii, Alemanni and Franks awaited a chance to prey on any weakness. Celtic Hordes remained in Britannia, and Roman forces there could only try to keep them at bay. The terrible Hunnic horde was now clear of Roman land, heading North towards the dangerously weak Lombardi. If they fell, they would turn into another terrible horde.Yet the Eastern Roman Empire remained strong under the control of Honorius Flavius, stretching from Colonia Dacia to Arsakia. The Empire had control over most of the East, except Sassanid and rebel lands. Ephesus, a city which had been developing recently was now devastated by Plague and an Earthquake. While it would be rebuilt, Hatra was sacked again to destroy the rival throne of Constantinople again.

382 AD was a huge turning point in the balance of power. It began with the Western Roman Empire declaring war on its neighbor, the powerful Byzantine Empire. While the Admiral who had been in charge of the fleet that had broken their alliance was reprimanded severely by the roman authorities, the damage had been done. Constantinople could not trust its Western friend any more. Another turned point was the movement of the Roxalani horde through Roman territory. The Roxalani had been depleted severely by Sassanid forces in the North. Yet now, the remaining hordes marched South from the Caucasian mountains, heading for Syria. While they were allies to the Romans, Theodosius Flavius, acting commander and supreme General of the East was not going to let them pass unmatched. The General Maximus Odaenathus marched from Arsakia with the remains of the army that Theodosius had once commanded. He hired large amounts of mercenaries on the march, and soon had a sizeable force.

Meanwhile, the garrison of Antioch moved to Tarsus, where the forces were weak. Manius the Mean, commander of the new army raised to take Campus Iazyges was preparing the assault. When it began, he was very confident. His archers devastated the enemy archers, and his huge army marched in slowly. The raw recruits split into two groups. The first was the group of Veterans that had been recruited as mercenaries. The second group was a huge mass of Legionary spearmen. As they advanced to face the enemy, the warlords of the Vandals charged the first group. The Romans there were quickly being overwhelmed. Manius ordered his second group to exchange, but here his entire battle plan fell apart. His first group routed, and the second group was suddenly hailed by a huge force of Cavalry. They routed, and the slaughter was immense. The forces of Maroboodus chased after him, but he ran for his life. The entire army had been destroyed. 2700 Vandals had been killed, but the entire army of Constantinople had been destroyed, 3007 men had died.

While the devastating news was yet to reach Honorius, he stormed the village of Vicus Sarmatae. Having been razed nearly three times, it was in poor shape. Honorius was waiting in the High Kings Hall when the news arrived. "What!" He roared. "An army destroyed? How? When?" He yelled. The poor messenger could only cower when faced with Honorius' wrath. "Manius has apologized profusely sire. He says the Vandals had a huge amount of forces, and that the Vandal warlords fought like demons." He said quietly. "Demons? Did they have wings? Did they fly? Did they look like they had crawled up from Hell?" He said quietly. The messenger felt a pang of fear. Whenever Honorius lowered his voice, he was about to execute someone. Honorius had a long temper, but it was so dreadful that even peasant turned around when they saw Honorius and charged back into the battle. "Get him." He said. The messenger covered his face with his hands, waiting for the Emperors guards to drag him to be crucified. "What are you doing you imbecile! I told you to bring him!" He roared. The relieved messenger rushed out of the room. Honorius leant back in the uncomfortable throne and massaed his head.

Meanwhile, the Roxalani had finally found a target. Their forces had settled on the city of Ancyra. And while Equitius Flavius, the man who had crushed the Ancyran rebels a few years ago was in charge of the city's defense, he only had three units with him. A large force led by two generals from Antioch, as well as Maximus Odaenathus were coming. But they wouldn't arrive on time. Equitius prepared himself for the battle. He immediately abandoned the walls. His men were too few to defend them from the elite of the Roxalani infantry who would surely be attacking first. He waited in the town square. The enemy came in pieces, one at a time. The first unit was of Horde Horsemen, a unit of horse archers. They came closer and closer to the Limitanei guarding one of two entrances to the town square. The remaining forces of the Roxalani were arriving, but the determined women of Ancyra manned the archer towers taking out many and slowing them down. The first unit of enemy was routed quickly. At the other side of the plaza, Equitius watched the Chosen Warriors of the Roxalani. They were marching past the Church, and more forces were following. They attacked the Spearmen and began to drive them back, but Equitius charged decisively to rout the first three units of warriors. He chased after them, routing more horse archers. But as he circled around the Church, he saw the enemy warlords appearing. He could match the numerous Horse archers with his own guard, but not the warlords. He retreated to the plaza. There, he could do nothing but watch as his Spearmen took the brunt of the attack. On the other side, the horse archers had broken through the Limitanei. The archers of Equitius were being slaughtered. He turned to his men. Some of them looked scared, but most were determined. They all nodded at their leader. And with one last furious cry, he charged the Roxalani. There would be no escape. Surrounded, he was unhorsed and speared. His men cried for vengeance, but they too fell surrounded by barbarians.

The Legacy of Equitius
    The Fall and Sacking of Ancyra was not as terrible as many feared. The Barbarians knew their mere 1200 men could not hold the city without being massacred. 2800 men had fallen in the attack. The Roxalani horde was split up, and they would not pose much of a threat, especially with the relieving force from Antioch coming to massacre the Roxalani who had elected to stay within the city. But the greatness of Constantinople was not just to be written in the history books, but also in the hearts of people. The men, women and children of Constantinople together erected a monument in Constantinople, where Flavius Classicanus said a few words of praise. Meanwhile the ruler of the Empire was faced with his own challenges. The Huns had returned, and with overwhelming force, had taken the village of Campus Iazyges. They occupied the city, and turned to Colonia Dacia. The last city that the Empire controlled North of the Danube. The forces there were strong, but the Huns power was unmatched. They had just dispatched a Vandal force which had destroyed the army of Manius Flavius without much hassle. They could easily take the village from a few Romans who had no chance against their cavalry. Or so they thought. While the Romans outnumbered the Huns by a small margin, there was no mistaking who was truly stronger. The Huns had with them some of the best cavalry in the known world. The battle began as the Hunnic forces marched to the gates. They had many rams, and it wasn't hard for them to break through. But they were not prepared for the determined roman defenders inside. The infantry of the Huns broke almost immediately, but the cavalry came pouring through the gaps. The roman defenders braced themselves. Captain Constantius stood with his sword on the right of his unit. Christian at heart, he yelled out a battle cry, one that was seemingly outdated. "For Rome!" He cried. His men braced, and the hunnic cavalry slammed into them. While the impact was terrible, a unit of Alan horse archers had managed to get around the Huns, and now peppered them with arrows. The cavalry was stopped at the first wall breach, and at the gates. However, they stormed through the third opening, running over two units of Limitanei. Constantius blew his horn, and the remaining Limitanei charged the cavalry. They routed, and with that the Hunnic army had been defeated. It was a heroic victory. Honorius could not have been more proud.
    He added Captain Constantius to his ever growing bodyguard, and now turned his eyes towards Hunnic retaliation. He knew that after one battle he would have to retreat to Sirmium to retrain his men, but he prepared himself. The men of Colonia Dacia had proven themselves to be truly great. Honorius Flavius attacked the first Hunnic army. The Huns were out in full force, with 3 armies. The first Hunnic army was dealt with easily, roman casualties low. The Hunnic general Ellak was killed in the battle. But before Honorius could retreat, the King of the Huns chased after him. He managed to escape fighting a battle with him, but he could not escape the third Hunnic army waiting for him. The army of Captain Karaton.

The Victory of the Roman Cavalry
    The battle was named so for two reasons. First, it showed that the Roman cavalry could match Hunnic cavalry and beat it. Second, it showed more Romans the power of cavalry. The recruitment lists for the cavalry corps in the armies increased substantially after this battle. The battle began similarly to the battle between Theodosius and Syrus. The roman cavalry on the Left, missiles center and the Comitatenses protecting them. The roman cavalry immediately moved out to chase the Hunnic Chosen Warriors, who were a focal point of the Hun army. They swarmed the first unit of Warriors, but another unit charged into the battle. Luckily, besides pressure, the new unit added nothing else to the roman unit, since they were being stopped by their own unit. Emperor Honorius charged them, and with his guard of a 100 men, he managed to rout the entire unit. The next unit fell too. The tremendous power of cavalry was demonstrated as Honorius chased after the Hunnic archers. They routed. He chased the Spearmen. They routed. He had single handedly defeated the Hunnic army with the power of cavalry. The Roman cavalry had flattened their Hunnic enemy alone. And now the infantry moved up. Karaton attempted to stop them, but the cavalry turned and charged him. The Bhosphoran infantry in front, unstoppable cavalry behind, he ran. The battle was won, and for once, the Roman cavalry was in the spotlight. Of course, this also sent a message to the Huns. Constantinople would not tolerate any more attacks.

Finally in the East, the power struggle between the Sassanids and Romans was reignited. A young Sassanid general, Cambyses, had brought a huge army from Artaxarta to Seige Caesarea. Maximus, who was in the area, rallied his army againt him. The Sassanid General retreated. When Maximus turned around, he was upon Caesarea once again. Maximus decided he would have to fight his enemy face to face. He attacked him between Caesarea and Sinope. The battle was simple. The 8 units of varied horse archers of Maximus laid down a withering rain of covering fire. Meanwhile, the roman cavalry swarmed the Sassanid left flank. The roman legionaries chased the Sassanid spearmen, and Cambyses found his men at a disadvantage. He almost caught the horse archers, but a volley of arrows from the roman archers discouraged him, and he retreated. The roman cavalry was mopping up the left flank. Maximus looked around the battlefield. He spotted his enemy, a tall, elegant man sitting atop his horse amongst his bodyguards. He was better than Maximus in every way. He was cool and calculated, while Maximus was angry and headstrong. He was handsome, his face was fair and many girls would fall in love with that face just by seeing a drawing of it. Maximus had a dark tan, which didn't clash well with his pale skin, where the armor protected him. His bodyguard was majestic, men and horses clad in so much armor that they looked like they were merged together. His own bodyguard was great, but withered in beauty when compared to these heroic looking guards. He was furious with this man, furious that he had so much that Maximus did not. He was going to chase after him, but a man stopped him. It was his advisor, Decimus. "Listen Maximus. You cannot chase after him. You may catch him, but what then? His men are fresh and are almost invincible. We are tired and low on numbers. Let him go." He adviced. Maximus accepted the advice, and watched the man turn and retreat. "See? In the end, it is he, not you that runs from the battlefield. Tell me now who is the better man." Decimus asked, walking by. Maximus sat atop his horse, stunned. Decimus had read his thoughts.

"Marcus, please." A young woman begged. The man she was speaking to was wearing his armor, setting his chest plate straight. "I'm sorry Aurelia. I know I said I was quitting the army, but I got the offer of a lifetime. 5 denarii a day!" He said. His voice was coated with excitement. "But you promised. Who will take care of Tiberius if you don't? What if you die? What of me and him?" She asked. "Don't you understand Aurelia? Emperor Honorius is rallying the Legions! For the first time in such a long time there will be a Legion! And actual legion under the Aquila! And I am to be among the first to join it." He said. His excitement was barely concealed. Aurelia shook her head. "I'm sure Constantine was right when he removed the legions. They are too slow. You saw what happened to Ancyra." She said. Marcus rolled his eyes. "Domina, you know what, I didnt know that. I mean, it's not like I work in the Miltary or anything. It's not like I know who Equitius Flavius is. It's not like-" "I get it." Aurelia interrupted. "Listen, honey. I know you thought I was done with war, but war is a business. I want to join in, to reap the profits. For you, for me, for Tiberius. And besides, the war is also for our own, personal reasons. The Sassanids martyred Christians Aurelia. We cannot stand and watch our kinsmen die." He said. Aurelia's eyes travelled to were a cross hung. "When does it end Marcus? When? Theodosius sacks Hatra, Melchior fights back. Theodosius sacks Ctesiphon and kills Narses, Melchior kills Christians. Theodosius kills Syrus, Syrus kills Classicanus. Theodosius kills Melchior, then Cambyses attacks Caesarea. Does it ever end?" She asked. Marcus put on his helmet and fastened it. "No. It does not." He said. And with that he walked outside.

The situation in the world was once again changing. Rome, which was only symbolic now, was finally split. Like Romulus and Remus arguing over the name of Rome, The Western and Eastern roman Empires were now at war. While the West was by far stronger, the East was safer. Roman forces flooded Europe, but their cities still fell and cities were still sacked. The Sarmatians and Goths were wreaking havoc, and the Germans were right behind them. The Eastern roman emprie had grown so much militarily, that it could now even defeat the Huns in open battle. And it was rich enough to survive. Its economy was weaker than before, but multiple armies costed them money. The Huns were weakened, but not defeated. Their King has with him the strongest army of all. If the Vandal warlords were bad, these men were devils. Completely opposite to the Clibinarii Immortals in every way except power. Rome was crumbling. Actually, Rome had already crumbled.

Constantinople was now the undisputed center of Roman power. Untouched, pure, clean. The Christian councils held there were the greatest in the known world. The two Empires may fight, or they may hold hands. Honorius had a new target though. Ravenna, Patavium, and Rome had fallen to Rebel hands. It was time for some roman justice to be brought to these cities.

Jerusalem was a huge city. Huge, and ancient. Almost the size of Constantinople, it was older than Rome herself. This ancient city was the home of almost 50000 Hebrews. The overall population of Jerusalem was much higher. There were 3 men to every soldier garrisoned there. The garrison itself was huge. To keep so many men in check, a lot of guards were required. A secret meeting had been called in Jerusalem. All the major Hebrew leaders in the city met. "We have no choice. War is our only option. Every day, more and more of our young men are converted to Christianity, and even Paganism. We must stop this." A man called out. Others began to argue, but one stopped the chatter. "Listen." He ordered. Everyone stopped talking to hear what the stranger had to say. "I have a plan organized. It will be simple and effective. I have arranged a little rebellion in Alexandria. The people there have agreed to rise up against their superiors." The man had a hood covering his face. No one could tell what he was feeling. But his accent was clearly roman. "Once the people there revolt, the garrison of Jerusalem will become the largest force in the Vicinity. The force will march to quell the rebellion, and then we can strike." He said. One man called out. "Why should we trust you?" He yelled. "I have a score to settle with Honorius and Constantinople." The hooded man said. He pulled his hood off. A collective gasp came from the assembled men. It was Titus Flavius. "You live!" A man cried. His compatriots knew the story of Titus Flavius, disgrace of Ancyra. "Yes, I do." He said, nodding.

"He lives?" Honorius asked. "Yes, my lord. I saw him with my own eyes. He entered the meeting hooded, but I saw his face first." The spy in front of him informed. "He will try to incite rebellion. Stop him!" He roared. The spy nodded. Despite the legacy of Honorius' wrath, he was calm. He bowed and left.

Honorius Flavius prepared himself for a large battle. Captain Hernach of the Huns was arriving, and his forces were almost the last ones left. Except for the army of the Hunnic King. The battle began and ended quickly. Once again, Honorius showed the might of his cavalry by annihilating the Hunnic horse archers. His men charged the Hunnic heavy cavalry, and a few roman segments broke off, and then attacked the enemy from the rear. Soon the strategies of both sides dissolved. They fought each other with grim determination, ready to end each other's lives or die trying. In the end, it was Honorius who routed the enemy troops. Within that year, Ancyra was retaken from the Roxalani men who had stayed behind to defend it. The people welcomed the roman forces with open arms. But the Roxalani were not defeated. They besieged Ephesus, and the forces there were easily overwhelmed. The Roxalani took the city as their own. The weary Syagarius Flavius took his men to Ephesus, to face the Roxalani before they became too strong.

The Battle of the Great Kings

It is here that many people agree the Eastern Roman Empire began its collapse. The collapse itself took several years, but the starting point was here. The battle began simply enough. The roman forces easily gained access to Campus Iazyges. They butchered some Hunnic cavalry. Honorius, eager to prove his cavalry's might once again, charged the Hunnic warlord directly. The fighting was terrible and fierce. Despite the outnumbering roman cavalry, the Huns fought like madmen. Which they were. King Kandak of the Huns himself fought in the center. The two cavalry forces hacked and smashed at each other. Marcianus, the roman Legionary spearman and honorary guard to Honorius had been assigned to protect a different man who had risen to prominence in Constantinople. Augustus Cato. But that was irrelevant, as the battle turned in favor of the Romans. Suddenly, a great cry came from the Huns. The cry was also picked up by the Romans. It was not the same cry of victory that came from the Huns mouths, but a cry of despair. For there, in between the two forces, lay Emperor Honorius Flavius, speared in the chest. He had a look of shock on his face, but as he took his last breath, there was a smile on his face. Few had ever seen him smile. Manius Flavius, seeing his death, found a new courage. He was revitalized. He raised a battle cry. "For Rome! For Emperor Honorius!" He roared. His men charged into the surprised Huns. They had expected the Romans to break. Among the charging of the cavalry, Manius bent down, and slowly pulled out the spear from Honorius. He closed the Emperors eyes for him, then threw the spear in anger at the Huns. For a moment, time seemed to stand still. Then, a huge moan erupted from the Huns. The spear Manius had thrown had pierced the heart of Kandak. The Huns roared in anger and charged towards him, but his own guard and the guard of Honorius stood in their way. The Battle of Iazyges was over. Finally, the Huns were once again forced to flee for their lives. And finally, the Romans could breathe easy. But it came at a great cost. The body of Honorius Flavius was taken to Constantinople, where he was buried next to his father. With pagan rituals and sacrifices to the gods. Not a single Christian dared speak against this, and the ceremony went smoothly. Just when the Emperor had fallen, his greatest dream was accomplished. The Legion was raised again, under the Aquila. The forces of Constantinople now fought under the Eagle standard. Whether that was good or bad, it would be seen.

But despite the huge victory and loss on the Western Frontier, the Eastern front was not looking so good. The Christian Bishop of Alexandria had ordered the destruction of the Serapeum. The pagan temple had lasted for as long as anyone knew, and now it was gone. The pagans of Alexandria rose up, a squashed minority now struggling with its rulers. And now, Titus Flavius smiled.

"My lord! We have waited long enough. If we wait any longer, our window of escape will be gone!" A soldier yelled. Avitus Flavius nodded, but did not move. He took one last look at the beautiful city of Alexandria. Although it was not beautiful anymore. He could see his men trying to fight the citizens. 180000 people lived within these walls. Out of that, 50000 were Pagan. The numbers were overwhelming, and some had inexplicably gotten weapons. Avitus turned, his cape billowing behind him. "Come! We must reach Jerusalem and warn the Emperor!" He said. The soldier nodded and they both got onto their horses. He took one last glance at his city, then ordered his men out. The entire Town watch moved out through the one gate which was still controlled by Avitus' men. Just as Titus Flavius had predicted, some of the Town watch in Jerusalem marched towards Alexandria. This gave the Hebrews within the city enough time to defeat the remnants of the guard in Jerusalem. Just like in Alexandria, the city burned. Roman bodies were thrown over the walls. The Christian Basilica was razed to the ground. But what was unpredicted by Titus, but still an added bonus was that the city of Lepcis Magna also revolted to his cause. The people overthrew their governor and the city joined the rivals of the throne of Constantinople. Avitus Flavius was sweating. He had just recieved news of the Fall of Jerusalem. As if that wasn't bad enough, it was sweltering in the desert. "We have no choice Decimus. We must march to Philadephea or Antioch. I think we should move to Antioch. It is much safer then Sidon, where Gainus awaits a chance to strike on anyone in the royal family. If Jerusalem and Alexandria have fallen, Philadelphea might be next." He said to the same soldier who had escorted him from Alexandria. Decimus turned and moved outside for a second to speak to a messenger. When he came back, he looked like he had seen a ghost. "Why did you leave so suddenly Decimus? I haven't even dismissed you. Why do you look so scared?" He asked. Decimus just turned slowly to face Avitus. "Antioch, Sidon and Tarsus have fallen. The new Emperor Crispus Flavius was massacred along with his army outside Jerusalem. The enemy comes for us now." He said gravely. Avitus paled. He was about to speak when he heard cries from the edges of the camp. The rebels had come for him.....

"No. No!" Maximus yelled when the news was delivered to him. "I refuse to believe it. Antioch, Tarsus, Sidon, Lepcis Magna, Jerusalem, Alexandria, Philadelphea and Ctesiphon? How is this possible? And you tell me that Crispus Flavius and Honorius are dead? This is a terrible joke." He said, half laughing. The messengers face was made of stone. "Regardless of what you believe sire, it is true. My entire family in Antioch was massacred." He said coldly. Maximus nodded. "You have my sympathy." He said. Marcus shook his head. "Beautiful Aurelia. Young Tiberius. What will I do without you?" He asked himself. He slowly turned to face the new Emperor. "You can stay in this hovel here and cower, but I will join my compatriots. The first legion has been raised. Augustus Cato is rallying the legions." He said. With that, he walked outside, not a word more.

The rallying of the rebels didn't stop there. The rival throne of Constantinople was not done. Tertius Flavius of Antioch was massacred, along with his wife. And while the Western Roman Empire discussed Christianity in Carthage, an emergency war council was called in Constantinople. The council had no choice but to let Augustus Cato take control of the first Legion. The Legio I Claudia Pia Fidelis was on the march. Cato had already landed in Anatolia. The Roxalani had been crushed in Ephesus, and they had unleashed another horde into Asia Minor. The rebels of Titus Flavius had marched on Caesarea. They were well armed and armored, the garrison of Caesarea would have no chance. Among the chaos that the Eastern Front had dissolved into, a shining beacon of hope still stood. The first legion. And drawn to this beacon, like moths to firelight, were loyal Romans. Titus did not have full control of his rebel territories, and Lepcis Magna had risen up and joined the Roman cause once more. Hope was rekindled. Yet hundreds, no thousands of Rebels stood against the beacon of hope. Would the East fall to tyranny? Or would it rise up to be greater than ever before?

More and more hope began to flow into the remaining loyal Romans in the east. The Western Roman Empire had chosen to make amends, first giving a much needed ceasefire, then offering trade, an Alliance and map information for the Eastern Roman Empire. For once, like an older brother caring for his injured younger one, the Western Roman Empire was helping its Eastern brother. But just when hope was burning strong, even in the face of all the darkness that shrouded the East, they struck from the West. The Franks had been uprooted from their tribal lands, either by the Romans or by the Sarmatians. Either way, the Frankish soldiers were marching and they had found the Eastern Roman Empires lands pleasant. They were here in force. 3 fully powerful armies faced the once mighty army of Honorius. But it was no longer Honorius who commanded it. Manius Flavius prepared for the largest battle of his life. If he succeeded in defending the city, then maybe, just maybe, the Eastern Roman Empire would survive. The collapse had begun. Whether it would finish or be stopped in its tracks depended on four people. Augustus Cato and the First Legion. Maximus Odaenathus and his army in the North. Manius Flavius and the remanants of Homorius' army in the West. And Theodosius Flavius in the Far East. Anyone of these men could change the worlds history.
    Last edited by Ownager; April 24, 2014 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Spacing
    "It is the part of the fool to say, I should not have thought." -Scipio Africanus

"We will either find a way or make one." -Hannibal Barca

Default Re: The Waves of Greatness- Eastern Roman Empire AAR [BI]

Hi, just a tip, you may want to try spacing your AAR. Walls of text are very hard to both read and follow, and your AAR would certainly be improved by just spacing after each paragraph.

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Thank you for that excellent advice. In the original writing, I did use spaces and formed chapters. But it seems they dissappeared when I copied and pasted the story. I'll edit the actual post more carefully next time.
    "It is the part of the fool to say, I should not have thought." -Scipio Africanus

General Retreat's Avatar Policeman Pleb

Usually the reason for the paragraphs disappearing is because Microsoft Word uses automatic spacing - it's not an actual space, it's just the appearance of one due to the document's formatting. Because of that, when you paste the contents elsewhere the lines disappear.

If you double space in Word, it'll make sure everything's correct on here. Or turn off auto spacing.
    Swords of the Sea: 1066 has come and gone, the Danelaw torn down and a new kingdom built in the image of its Norman rulers. But with time, wounds heal and what is broken can be reforged. The Danes have returned with steel, and seek to reclaim what is theirs.
    The Great Expedition: Pax Anglia, one of Earth's great empires, sprawling across the stars. On their newly colonised planet of Nova Sydney, adventure awaits on the savage frontier - Henry Boyce steps forward to lead an expedition to pierce the Bushlands' wild heart.
    Winter War: Finland, 1939. The Soviet war machine has begun its indomitable advance from the east. Of all its neighbours, only Finland stands alone in defiance. Conscript Anton Bezrukov prepares for a quick victory, but the reality is far bloodier...

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Thanks for the tip. I'm using Pages, but I guess its the same thing.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Agreed, I hate so say it, but I won't even read it until its spaced. It hurts my eyes! Nonetheless, from what I know of your writing, I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Ownager's Avatar Senator

There. It took me most of an hour, but it is spaced.
    @McScottish
    Thank you so much, and welcome back! I noticed you were missing for some time. Although I can't match the detail of your AARs, a man can only try.

@Stath's
    Its waiting for your big eyes to read now.
    (Although I don't see how the same text seems easier to read with spaces.)

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Augustus Cato marched with whatever cavalry was in the First Legion to Kotais. The people there were mostly Christian, but Maximus Oddaenathus had forced them to. Yet they did not touch the pagan walking so boldly in front of them. The guards made sure of that. Augustus walked into the main hall. Here was where he would find Maximus Oddaenathus, Emperor of Constantinople. He opened the doors to his personal chambers, ignoring the Emperors Guards. They had been weakened taking Kotais, and would not dare face the guard of Augustus. Marcus was with him. Augustus signaled for him to wait outside. He walked in and closed the doors behind him.

Maximus was tending to a tender baby in his arms. "Where did you get that?" Augustus asked. Maximus looked up. "I found him in Antioch. For some reason the traitors let me inside the city. I went into one of the houses, where I found him and his mother, her name was Aurelia. She begged me to keep the babe safe. I could not deny her." He said. Tiberius. Augustus thought. There was something he should have remembered about the name, but he said nothing. "I demand you name me heir." He said. Abruptly. Maximus stopped feeding the baby. He set it down in a crib. He turned. "What?" Maximus demanded. Augustus could see it in his eyes. The man was angry. He was a veteran of more battles than Augustus, yet Augustus didn't back down. "I need more power to defeat the Rebels." He admitted. It was shameful to say that, but Antioch had the best training barracks in the world, matched only by the new Barracks constructed in Constantinople. The forces there were well trained and Alexandria, Sidon and Jerusalem had also had strong barracks. "I see. Maybe it would be wise if I came over myself and dealt with them." Maximus said, rubbing his chin. "No." Augustus said. Maximus snapped his fingers, and the 40 Sarmatians horse archers he had left from the original 200 appeared around him. Augustus smiled. "Sarmatians! Draw!" He yelled. The Sarmatians turned towards Maximus, aiming at his heart. The Emperor was stunned. "What is this?" He demanded. Augustus gave another one of his smiles. "Justice. You waited here when Crispus Flavius was massacred, yet now you wish to be emperor?" He asked, demanding an answer. "You are not the bringer of justice in this realm." He said calmly. Outside, the guards began to pound on the door. Augustus shook his head at the door. "The Emperor wished to kill me, but my Sarmatian guards killed him." He muttered. A plausible lie. There was a scuffle, a shout, and then the doors were broken open. Augustus saw the last living man he had ever expected to see. Theodosius Flavius. His men poured in. Marcus was trussed up and was being carried by two men. "Another usurper?" Theodosius asked calmly.

The situation had gone against Augustus very quickly. Theodosius did not have a large army, but his experienced bodyguards had easily subdued Augustus'. Maximus had expected a rebellion. Augustus would be allowed to return to his legion. This had been a topic of conflict between Theodosius and Maximus. Theodosius wished to execute the traitor, but Maximus refused. "The Legion believes in him." He explained. And so the man was released. But not without punishment. Two things were done to him. First, half of his left hand was cut off. Second, he was branded on the back with the symbol given to usurpers. Only then was he released. Augustus had turned back when he was released. His hand was covered in bandages, the wound had been seared close. "I guess I deserve this. Young and foolish as I am." He said, turning to his Emperor. Maximus nodded, but suspicion grew in his mind. No man would accept to having their hand cut off and being foolish, especially someone as proud as Augustus.

When Augustus returned to the Legion, rumors began to spread about his hand. Some said he was a usurper, who lost his hand. Some said he was ambushed by desert dwellers, who took his hand instead of his life. Others say it was a diseases hat had claimed it. Which was true, no one could say in the camp. The rumors spread like wildfire, and the soldiers chose to generally agree that he had lost his hand in a raid. The few who dared began to call him Halfhand. Augustus Halfhand. The name stuck, but a few who were too bold for their own good began to call him Lackhand. Those who called him that were silenced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I expect Augutus Cato to play a big role, if I can survive the Franks and Roman Rebels, so I gave him a character. I know the part about him being a usurper who lost his hand and rejoined happily is cheesy, but I tried. I'm not good with feelings and details.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

I'm liking it more and more, Ownager. I'd say cut back on the number of full-stops/periods though. Apart from that - and that is just my opinion btw - you are doing very well. Shall certainly rep and I look forward to seeing how this all plays out.

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Thank you very much McScottish. Your work inspired me, although I know it won't achieve the detail yours have. Still, for fun and immersion, I am going to continue as far as I can. Your praise is like a river of honey for my ears. (I hope that simile was accurate.)

Ownager's Avatar Senator

I'm terribly sorry to anyone who read this. I was reading online when I decided to update BI to 1.6. Unfortunately, I was forced to uninstall EB and then RTW, because of some error. In the end, I didn't get the patch, but I just downloaded Roma Surrectum 2. I regret to inform that the save file was lost when I uninstalled and reinstalled, and I can't find where I saved it, so I need to close this AAR. Hopefully I will be able to start a new AAR, and pray to Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I can continue it.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Ill be eagerly awaiting your new AAR.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Ownager's Avatar Senator

I'm always delighted by your continual support, Scottish King. The next AAR will be my first from a single character, first person perspective. I already have 2,000 words.