Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concerning sieges and city assaults

Default Re: Concerning sieges and city assaults

"Streamlines" and "dumbs down" are two different things. The fact that the gaming industry uses one as a euphemism for another doesn't make them interchangeable.

Nobody leaves his towns unprotected in mods without such a script (and there aren't any with a garrison script for the player).

I have a question about garrison scripts in general. When do the scripted units spawn? Is it as soon as the siege starts, the end of the turn, or when battle starts?

Quote Originally Posted by merkava View Post
    I have a question about garrison scripts in general. When do the scripted units spawn? Is it as soon as the siege starts, the end of the turn, or when battle starts?
    Normally the units only spawn when you actually attack the city I think, unless I'm mistaken there.

As to whether the player will have a garrison script for their own cities you'll need to wait for an actual response from the team, but personally I'd lean towards it just being for the AI. As k/t says, most players have the common sense to leave some troops behind to defend their cities, the AI are sadly lacking in that respect.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Leonidas View Post
    Normally the units only spawn when you actually attack the city I think, unless I'm mistaken there.
    Yep, usually it event Button_Pressed with the specified button maintain_siege_button is used, which means that the garrison will only be spawned if the player is selecting to maintain a siege. Oh well, but don't ask me how it's handled here

Ah and hi everybody

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Ours (not done by me) actually works on
    monitor_event GeneralAssaultsResidence
    which fires when you actually click 'Assault' and covers going in with artillery on first turn too - I think it's also a bit neater as you don't generate the extra units just by going in to look at the state of the siege.

The units are then disbanded at end of battle - or on selecting 'retreat'

Think our method does also give the option of applying it to human defender, whereas I don't think 'scroll_opened' / 'button_pressed' options would. Though it's obviously still debatable how much help we'd want to give the player... Perhaps only if something very nasty had just spawned nearby?

Squeaks's Avatar More full of whinging

Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    With this system, nobody. It makes the feel of the game a bit different I think. You levy your army and empty the city of your best men to take the fight where it needs to go with the knowledge that your cities can't be taken without a fight.

It also frees up time and money that would be used to recruit free upkeep trash to garrison anyway, so I find that the player garrison script streamlines it a bit. In the end it boils down to player preference. Some folks like to manage their towns to that level of building a force specifically to garrison, but I myself do not.
    Bear in mind firstly that you can turn it off. I understand the argument for and against. There's also the issue that an army can't just walk up to a briefly empty city and take it without a fight. Where allies may turn on you, it offers a slight response from the city-people.

ALSO do bear in mind that the game will produce Chitkinnen (Rats) to various previously empty areas, as will the Infected, so you're never quite sure when a small force may burst out and stuff a previously safe area - you won't get that sinking feeling when a rebel is made....not quite so bad, giving some form of response. Still not enough to know that you can rely on such things. Gameplay IS different (or will be) to a normal mod, as there is a lot that's not normal in fantasy. If in doubt, turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Who leaves his cities completely unprotected?
    It's not so much about that as a boost to a smaller garrison. Any assault with means will push them aside without much effort. With our cultural system, it adds a little flavour, as the populace of an Empire city don't want to just roll over to the orcs/Naugiri, so they resist and then the cultural difference is an issue in your mind too.

Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    It's less for balance and for for flavor and feel I would assume... Also, it allows for the player to take on a different strategy of amassing their army and marching without having to worry about their cities falling to single units of enemies. I for one enjoy the concept of having a garrison script for the player.
    It's because the idea is nice. If you leave NO units in a settlement, then these levied citizens will not hold anything approaching a decent force. It doesn't change that at all, but it means that a small army attacking one unit will be less of a certainty, and may make the odd surprise along the way. Three defending levy units will not beat three good units attacking, but they are better as an idea. Add a couple of decent defenders and you have a chance. Not game-winning, but another small nicety to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Players shouldn't have a garrison script, since they have a brain.
    That's assuming a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane
    The units are then disbanded at end of battle - or on selecting 'retreat'
    Do you use cloned units with the garrison_unit attribute?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12