Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerning sieges and city assaults

Squeaks's Avatar More full of whinging

Default Concerning sieges and city assaults

One of the things we're doing is some scripting where things we like are concerned. One of the main things is seasonal changes, but the one I wanted to just outline was the Garrison script we're using. Most garrison scripts are there so that you attack an AI faction, and it produces a large response to this by adding garrison units to that place or as a response to your actions/success. It's accepted widely, but I don't like it, as I played a particular game and attacked early on, taking a major target quite easily. The next turn I got splatted there by a massively superior army, which essentially had the power to end my game, because I couldn't field troops that good myself, and they ended up annihilating me. They rolled up 3 settlements and I had to just give up.

I also liked Empire's thing of sprogging a few awful defenders.

SO, we decided to have a garrison script that means a slightly random amount of 'citizen-levies' appear to defend against a settlement attack; it's based on size, but with a little random element. They're not awful, and potentially can hold a city for you. SO, you attack, they have their base garrison troops, and you can add on a few units of these guys. They depend on faction, for weapons and the rest, but they will all disperse after any assault. If the city falls, they're dead, if it holds they become normal citizens again.

This is just one of the little examples of our work. There's nothing that's ridiculous, and we have a stable enough build, so it reduces the amount of chance for errors by limiting scripting. Everything we choose is for good reasons

We want to make sieges pretty cool! Very cool, as they're one of the main game parts. Hopefully the days of walking to a wall and it falling over for you are gone here. Not to the other extreme, but just a bit more uncertain.

Default Re: Concerning sieges and city assaults

Sweet. Nice to hear some news.

Happy to oblige!

Just for a show of what's been and is happening, the dev forum has 287 threads and 7,172 replies. A fair few

Emrys's Avatar Primicerius

So will the script work for the player faction as well as the AI? I know in TATW it doesn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    So will the script work for the player faction as well as the AI? I know in TATW it doesn't...
    Yes, it does

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Wil the player have less "emergency troops" than the A.I.? I believe It will be more challenging that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    Happy to oblige!

Just for a show of what's been and is happening, the dev forum has 287 threads and 7,172 replies. A fair few
    Very impressive!!

We're now wondering if the player should have them , but they would have a similar amount; this would still be slightly random. If you took a certain level having 3 defenders sprog, then it could be 2 (say 25%), 3 (50%) or 4 (25%) - that sort of thing. It'd be nice if culture had an impact too...if you don't have a dominant friendly culture they may refuse to defend at all. This bit is possibly going into scripting hell and I really do want to keep scripting down, unless for something very cool.

Normally garrison scripts only work for the AI because they seem to be quite fond of leaving their settlements barely defended for some reason. Normally players should be able to notice when their cities are very lightly defended...

Although having said that, it would be quite nice to know that some low level units will spawn to help defend your empire when they're needed.

I had thought of another thing for such problems I LIKE levying troops for war as it reminds me that it's a medieval-ish setting.

My idea was that, when the player (maybe others) declares war on someone, they immediately levy their reserves to defend themselves. Only once (unless you end up declaring war more than once during a game), but they levy the people around their settlements, which would mean low level troops being introduced to settlements...not a ton in one, but a small number in every one (based on size again), showing them gear up for war footing. This would give a decent garrison until they decide to make them join regular forces to attack you. It means the amount of people throwing war invites around would make that war more nasty. I want the mod to be 'busy'....

I haven't played Rome 2 yet, but this sounds like their garrison idea.

The original idea for a levy popping up was from EMpire....they were hopeless but quite cool. These will be actually fairly good troops, but the inspiration was from there; as are a couple of other ideas. The possible declare war levy is different.

I didn't know. I was mostly interested in the full conversion mods than the base games so I am mostly only familiar with Medieval 2 and Rome 1

I haven't played a tw game properly for a long time....it's what happens when you end up doing lunacy like a full conversion

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

My idea was that, when the player (maybe others) declares war on someone, they immediately levy their reserves to defend themselves. Only once (unless you end up declaring war more than once during a game), but they levy the people around their settlements, which would mean low level troops being introduced to settlements...not a ton in one, but a small number in every one (based on size again), showing them gear up for war footing. This would give a decent garrison until they decide to make them join regular forces to attack you. It means the amount of people throwing war invites around would make that war more nasty. I want the mod to be 'busy'..
    Love this idea Squeaks!
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Me too...it's getting a script done though...

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Aye, I can imagine it will be a pain to do.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Players shouldn't have a garrison script, since they have a brain.

It's less for balance and for for flavor and feel I would assume... Also, it allows for the player to take on a different strategy of amassing their army and marching without having to worry about their cities falling to single units of enemies. I for one enjoy the concept of having a garrison script for the player.

Who leaves his cities completely unprotected?

With this system, nobody. It makes the feel of the game a bit different I think. You levy your army and empty the city of your best men to take the fight where it needs to go with the knowledge that your cities can't be taken without a fight.

It also frees up time and money that would be used to recruit free upkeep trash to garrison anyway, so I find that the player garrison script streamlines it a bit. In the end it boils down to player preference. Some folks like to manage their towns to that level of building a force specifically to garrison, but I myself do not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast