Thread: Farms on the campaign map

Default Farms on the campaign map

Hello,

I'm using a mod (KGCM) that removes the farm graphics from the campaign map and am looking to see if anyone knows what files to edit/copy over to bring them back? The mod is great otherwise but I personally like the farm graphics. I have a post in the mod's forums but it's pretty dead so I though this forum might have a better shot at being seen by someone who knows the answer.

Dahoota's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Farms on the campaign map

I don't think it exists as this is part of the texture of the map. It been a few years but from memory KGCM map is simply a scaled up version of the original M2 map with more regions.

Try Stainless Steel, it's a compilation mod - KGCM is one of the mods (among many) included in it, it does everything KGCM does and then some. It's perhaps the best version of the historical M2TW experience.

The map is very nice and of course has the farm land textures.

I used to use Stainless Steel years ago before I had Kingdoms. It was great back then but I like KGCM now. The negative traits everyone gets in SS is just too much hassle. It may be more "realistic" but it's not fun. I know I can edit the Grim Reality mod but I'm just not interested in doing so. All I want is visible farms in KGCM, so if anyone knows how to do *that* please let me know. Thanks.

I can't edit so I'll expound a bit about SS.

I played it for years when I used the CD version of M2TW without Kingdoms. Like I said it was great and back then I remembered I spent considerable time to get rid of the traits I didn't like. It was still the best option at the time though.

A month or so ago I decided to buy M2TW again with Kingdoms from Steam so I don't have to screw around with CD's. Remembering how much I liked SS I downloaded and started up. Immediately I remembered how much work editing the traits was, so I uninstalled it and got Retrofit + KGCM. It seems to me the campaign AI is better in KGCM as well. In SS (and vanilla) Portugal/Spain often send off their whole army to England at the start of the game. Gameplay wise this has never made sense to me, and I haven't seen this happen in KGCM. Maybe it's just luck though.

All I've had to do is triple unit ammo (haven't needed to mess with traits at all), and for my own enjoyment I set the Black Death to start 900 years after the start of the campaign (another "realistic" thing that is no fun that I'm just tired of dealing with after dozens of games) so it never happens. Anyhow I like the map and units better too, I just want visible farms.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

You would have to unpack the game to get to them.

KGCM is unpacked already. I just don't know the names of the files to switch.

Even if it weren't, the game comes with an unpacker so I don't see the point of your reply. Do you know which files to switch out or not?

In KCGM'f folder\data, you move the new_vegetation folder to your desktop and see if gives you the desired results. If it does, delete it. If not, put it back.

That wasn't it, but I think you're on the right track. In folder \mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data\terrain\aerial_map\ground_types there are multiple tga files with names like "cultivated_low" and "cultivated_high"

Gonna mess around with those to see if it gets the right result. Thanks for (hopefully) pointing me in the right direction.

Just move them out and test it, when the game don't find the modded files it (mostly) uses vanilla files instead. Should work.

Renamed some files to see if I'd see any difference in game upon reload and nothing changed. Started a new game and nothing changed. There are no vanilla equivalents for these files so I couldn't back them up and copy over them. Guess I'll just deal with it for now. Thanks for trying though.

I also tried moving the folder to desktop as suggested and it still didn't work -- either in a savegame or a new game. Thanks for the suggestion though Yay.

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

One thing to make sure of is that farmlands only show up in high/medium fertility lands, in vanilla these were only around settlements, so you may have to edit the map_ground_types.tga and add in some more fertile lands. Make sure you delete the map.rwn, and save a backup.
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

Right click hovering over random map tiles reveals an abundance of medium to high fertility land on the map. I don't have any tools to view tga files, let alone edit them... I'm also hesitant to download such a tool from a google search, as everything is laced with malware, spyware, and spambots. I did rename map.rwm to map.rwm.bak each time I tested different scenarios, but nothing so far has worked.

I guess I'm just stuck with it. It's not terrible, I just liked the farms.

GIMP and Paint.Net can view and edit .tga files and they are free.

Edit: in KCGM folder\data, comment out descr_aerial_maps_ground_types.txt and see if this does the job.
    Last edited by irishron; April 18, 2014 at 04:39 AM.

You got it!

Step 1: Rename the file to descr_aerial_maps_ground_types.txt.bak
    Step 2: Delete or rename map.rwm in the base folder (not sure if actually necessary, but did so just to be safe)

That's it! Thanks

Alternatively I could probably actually mod that file to have it call the right textures for farms. It looks like it's intentionally calling the "normal" land, probably because the guy who made the mod didn't like the farms. But meh, renaming works and I can mess with it later if necessary. Thanks again!
    Last edited by builder680; May 12, 2014 at 05:18 PM.

You're welcome. Enjoy playing.