Thread: TotW 214: Krak de Chevaliers - Winner!

Default TotW 214: Krak de Chevaliers - Winner!

Creative Workshop Competitions
    << Picture of the Week | Unedited Screenshot of the Week | Graphics Competition | Tale of the Week >>

Krak de Chevaliers

Clear the way! Crusaders!

In what is arguably the mightiest Crusader castle ever built, Krak de Chevaliers stands as a testament to the might of the Crusader forces and their ingenuity and structural brilliance, in defense of the Holy Lands of old!

Our young Hospitaller castellan, Strengelicher, has chosen to defend the mighty fort from the armies of Baibars, Sultan of Egypt, in 1273.

This young castellan's name has originally been lost in the annals of time, until now. Recent historical findings uncovered a journal, kept at the fort, with the last dated entry, from 1273...

It speaks of a Saracen breach of the outer walls, and a young commander who must now brave the storm, and fend off this besieging force, with few men available...

It is... The last entry, for some reason the journal goes cold afterwards...

Only the walls of this mighty fort know the truth...

-

For the submission thread, click here. For the voting thread, click here!

Spoiler for Winning Submission
    Krak de Chevaliers

When I slowly opened my eyes, I did not know where I was at first. There was a strange pain throbbing in the back of my head. I could neither move nor feel my limbs. Lying on my side on the ground, I was looking at a wounded Saracen warrior. He was lying on the ground as well only a few feet distant from me, bleeding heavily from beneath his clothes and armour. He was gazing at me, his breath quick and shallow.

“You have killed me, crusader”, he gasped with blood between his teeth, “my life is trickling out of me and into the sand… Allah have mercy!”

Suddenly, the memory returned to me. The Saracens had assaulted the walls of our fortress at Krak de Chevaliers. Some of them had managed to scale the battlements with ladders. I had engaged one of them in a melée, and before long my trusted sword had found its way past his armour and into his body. Mortally wounded, he had thrown himself against my shield and, loosing my footing, I had fallen down into the courtyard with him. Even now, I could hear the sounds of others fighting high above us.

“You were a fool to come here”, I whispered, “the walls of this beacon of Christianity are impenetrable. Did you really think you and your kin would be able to take them?”

“Your words are true, crusader. It was pride and folly that brought me here only to find my doom. And it seems I have taken you with me…”

He fell silent, his breast heaving heavily. He seemed to look right through me now and into some strange distance. After a while, he asked, “so what are your last thoughts, crusader?”

“Of my fair lady Genevieve, far away in the Kingdom of France... who was promised to me when I would return from the holy lands… whether she will weep for me…”

“Allah”, the Saracen moaned, “and my thoughts are with my beautiful Surajyah, who I shall never see again…”

He was breathing in fast, thick pants now. Then suddenly, with a much different voice and with a strength I would not have expected to remain in him he exclaimed, “Crusader! Our lives have been wasted in vain! I can see a day when my muslim brothers will hold this place… but other muslims will lay their claim on it! And muslim shall fight muslim over these walls! Their hatred will cry out to the heavens, and they will spit lightning and thunder at one another all over this realm! And their hatred and lightning and thunder shall tear these walls asunder for all eternity!!!”

And as suddenly as this surge of strength had come forth it dissipated again. His eyes broke, and life left his body.

I felt my head go light. Whatever we did – this Saracen and I – and whatever words we had exchanged in these last moments… it meant nothing anymore…

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Default Re: TotW 214: Krak de Chevaliers - Winner!

A good tale indeed, congrats!
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Default Re: TotW 214: Krak de Chevaliers - Winner!

Thanks to all voters, hope you liked the story. Given my current AAR (which is not dead, by the way), I just had to enter when I saw the title "Krak de Chevaliers". Some may have guessed it - apart from just writing a story I also wanted to draw attention to the civil war in Syria. Apparently, there has been heavy fighting for the fortress, and it was partly destroyed in the process. Not to mention the body count...