Wismar's Avatar Civis

Default Re: ACW - North&South II

Glorious Germans!

The germans are quite glorious indeed. ^^

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Wismar View Post
    Thanks for the heads up but will they be playable in custom battle and MP?
    Please yes! I always wanted to play a wargame with Prussian troops. Their uniforms are great and who doesn't like Pickelhauben?
    Would be great if you could add march music (Tercos have fife and drums so it must be possible although I was unable to find out how it works). Prussian troops and the Hohenfriedberger would be like a dream come true.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Civis

Guys great mod!!! I have been waiting for a mod like this ever since Empire!!! I'm really looking forward for this!

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

Quote Originally Posted by djangooo View Post
    Guys great mod!!! I have been waiting for a mod like this ever since Empire!!! I'm really looking forward for this!
    You are aware that there is an american civil war campaign mod for Empire (since 2009!!!)? Also for NTW?

ANYWAY: This looks so coool! Good Job Primergy!
    Last edited by Hinkel; April 20, 2014 at 09:11 AM.
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

this will be so great !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    You are aware that there is an american civil war campaign mod for Empire (since 2009!!!)? Also for NTW?

ANYWAY: This looks so coool! Good Job Primergy!
    I wasn't aware there was a campaign civil war mod for NTW... but i do know of a battle mod. ^^

love this. I cant wait. Primergy, let me know if you need anything.

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Quote Originally Posted by ss97slp View Post
    love this. I cant wait. Primergy, let me know if you need anything.
    Atm what I would defninitly need, would be more information for the campaign map - like important roads, valleys, railroads, cities, economic centers etc.

Just for fun, a roughly sketched outline for the look of the map.

Size of the map will be the same as the boshin map. If you played FotS you might remember that this is quite large, but my aim is to have a scale, where you can see things like the Shenandoah valley, James peninsula.
    The states will be subdivided into 3-4 "counties", which will be a bit ahistorical. Thanks to the map system in shogun, coastal cities will get unique maps, where you will have to storm a coastal fort like Fort Wagner/Sumter.

Florida was reduced in size to have a connection between the gulf and the atlantic. There will be trade ports at the edges and at the bahamas.

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

Primergy I can do research. I have access to the UCF library and it's extensive online Academic database including academic journals and old newspapers. I'll be done with my BA in history this fall.

my steam is poloticsman

it will say Big Yehudah

I've done some research on the Confederate use of breech loading and repeating rifles. From what is left of their incomplete records they had a minimum of 12,616 of them. The real figure is obviously higher. I would be happy to show you my research.

This is already my favourite mod even though it's only the beginning !
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Wess_Hudson's Avatar Civis

Great news!!! This will be awesome.
    Looks like I have to be ready for some filming action

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

The ACW is very well documented from maps to journals written by the soldiers themselves. There are some really good maps out there that depict all the railroads and roadways of the time period as well as the major cities.
    I would recommend dividing the states into regions with geographic importance. Virtually the entire war was fought over strategic ground or locations within the state which would force the enemy to give up ground once their fortified location became untenable.

IE: The battles covering the Yorktown Peninsula leading up to Richmond, if the Union captured this region they could have steamed ships all the way up to Richmond and landed troops south of the city (undefended).
    IE: The battles to cut the railroads leading into Atlanta, Sherman cut all of the railroads leading into the city to cut off the supplies to the rest of the CSA and in doing so forced Hood to raze the city and evacuate.
    IE: The battles to control the Mississippi River, Grant launched all kinds of missions to capture Vicksburg and all the towns along the river to cut the CSA in half.
    IE: The battles of the Shenandoah Valley where Jackson fought to defend the bread basket of the CSA.
    IE: The battles of the various coastal and in-land forts, the Union needed to capture these forts to stop blockade runners and establish bridgeheads into the Deep South.
    IE: The guerrilla wars and small battles of Arkansas and Missouri to determine the fate of those states (slave or free).

etc.

Really any natural feature in the state can be of strategic importance in the ACW and I hope you create a map to reflect that.

Wismar's Avatar Civis

Sweet!

This is ing awesome! I will be watching with bated breath.

Will work be halted on the Napoleon version of this then? It functions on a basic level and doesn't come near the level of completeness as the E:TW version.

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr Eiríksson View Post
    Will work be halted on the Napoleon version of this then? It functions on a basic level and doesn't come near the level of completeness as the E:TW version.
    On ACW for E:TW. It's been worked on for over 6 years, by at least a dozen people in three consecutive modding teams, and it's still not completely finished. E:TW is quite difficult to mod, very hardcoded and rigid in places, and even though it came with a North America map, which enabled making a campaign right from the start, we're still working hard on that campaign to bring it anywhere near to historic accuracy and getting frustrated in the mean time.

According to Primergy (and I've no reason to doubt his judgement on this, since he's worked on all ACW Total war mods so far) S2:TW is much more modder-friendly, so with a team of dedicated people and good modding tools available, there should be some significant progress made faster than was the case with E:TW or N:TW.

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

I'VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG TO SEE THIS HAPPEN!! Have you figured out how to add custom maps to the campaign map?

Protestant Knight's Avatar Centenarius

I'm so looking forward to this mod I've played your other mods for Empire and Napoleon and loved both of them and I would just like to say as a Civil War Reenactor from Florida/USA its nice to have US Civil War era games that are as great as yours and arnt from the 90s LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    On ACW for E:TW. It's been worked on for over 6 years, by at least a dozen people in three consecutive modding teams, and it's still not completely finished. E:TW is quite difficult to mod, very hardcoded and rigid in places, and even though it came with a North America map, which enabled making a campaign right from the start, we're still working hard on that campaign to bring it anywhere near to historic accuracy and getting frustrated in the mean time.

According to Primergy (and I've no reason to doubt his judgement on this, since he's worked on all ACW Total war mods so far) S2:TW is much more modder-friendly, so with a team of dedicated people and good modding tools available, there should be some significant progress made faster than was the case with E:TW or N:TW.
    I was asking about the Napoleon version, not the Empire one.