Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Original thread for North&South II

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Default Re: ACW - North&South II - First Unitpack released

Quote Originally Posted by Primergy View Post

Btw, I updated my layout for the campaign map, since the map was really huge. With this scale I now could add Cuba, Mexico etc.

For scale: At the moment Richmond and Washington D.C. are three turns apart (one turn = one week).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8tws22tx0...Map-layout.jpg
    Wow, that's vast. With that kind of map; Canada(British Empire Vassal), Cuba(under Spain), and Mexico(Under
    French Invasion) would be in - they would not be playable, of course, since this is an American Civil War mod. However, would they be real In-game Factions that can influence and be influenced, contacted diplomatically, waged war by US/CSA Players? or just empty Impassable Terrain with Foreign Port that can be traded with?

Also, European Powers can join the war, Unlike FoTS Foreign Powers? Will peace actually negotiable with them, if war actually breaks, since they cannot be taken out militarily. Also, how would they bring their Army? via a script? and how can they train troops and ferry them without making Europe invadable by the player?

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

CSS ALABAMA (made by mikoyan99)
    First Ingame model

The CSS Alabama was a screw sloop-of-war built in 1862 for the Confederate States Navy at Birkenhead, England by John Laird Sons and Company.
    The Alabama served as a successful commerce raider, attacking Union merchant and naval ships over the course of her two-year career, during which she never anchored in a Southern port. She was
    sunk in battle by the USS Kearsarge in June 1864 at the Battle of Cherbourg outside the port of Cherbourg, France.

Last edited by Hinkel; August 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM.
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

Oh my goodness! This is amazing! I never thought I would see a user-made ship model in a total war game ever. You guys are doing brilliant work!

Really excited guys. The Civil War is criminally under used in game, always had great fun with your mods and JUST found out there was one for Shogun II in the works. I very much want to stream this mod and give it exposure, I usually field a live audience of around 1000 to 1300 when I stream. Would you say the mod is in a presentable and impressive state or should I hold off a bit?

http://www.twitch.tv/bikeman

Indefinitely Banned

Wait a minute...Is that Kanrin Maru with NTW Brig sail rigging?

Quote Originally Posted by weirdoascensor View Post
    Yes, with an overall new texture of the Ship, also lovely waving flags!
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

Not quite - similair configuration, but the yards/sails are stock from existing STW files. Kanrin Maru was the clear choice for a confederate commerce raider; she's about 60' shorter than the Alabama granted, but she's barque rigged and screw propelled just the same.
    -Matt

That looks mighty fine from here. Good job!

I literally squee'd when I saw this. I never squee. I can't wait for this!
    Judgement Time

Well this all looks very exciting indeed, though I am sure it will be a long time in the making. Two humble requests if I may: Consider getting rid of the permanent bayonets. In reality men rarely found themselves using them (even in hand-to-hand combat, other methods were preferred to the bayonet, which was considered unwieldy and ineffective). Beyond that, in-game they're not very convincing aesthetically. Second, perhaps consider not including the Gatling Gun (or making it a very rare, very expensive, very late-game unit). It simply saw very little use in the war, and saw zero use in any large scale battles. Same with any plans anyone might have for the Henry Rifle (as that's one that always comes up when these kinds of games are being considered).

These are just the humble two-cents of an observer. It's your project, of course.

Perhaps one more though: Consider modeling some variation in uniformity amongst Union regiments. Just as their confederate counterparts were rarely a wall of gray, union regiments were rarely a wall of blue. Simply consider having some in just an undershirt without jacket, some with a roll over their shoulder rather than a knapsack (and vice-versa), some men with lighter blue pants than others, etc. etc, all within the same unit. A representation of varying states of uniformity, wear and tear/fading, etc.

Again, just some humble suggestions.

Kanrin Maru? what is that

Total War Shogun 2 : Morning Sun Mods - Ming Dynasty vs Japan Shogunate
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...un-Version-1-0

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mhdsafwanindera View Post
    Kanrin Maru? what is that
    Do you play FoTS? Its a Corvette.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodManBadSerf View Post
    Well this all looks very exciting indeed, though I am sure it will be a long time in the making. Two humble requests if I may: Consider getting rid of the permanent bayonets. In reality men rarely found themselves using them (even in hand-to-hand combat, other methods were preferred to the bayonet, which was considered unwieldy and ineffective). Beyond that, in-game they're not very convincing aesthetically.
    Ah, Primergy just working this in the confines on whats possible in S2TW - There are no Fix Bayonet toggle button in Shogun 2.
    Last edited by weirdoascensor; August 25, 2014 at 07:57 AM.

Artifex

Consider getting rid of the permanent bayonets. In reality men rarely found themselves using them (even in hand-to-hand combat, other methods were preferred to the bayonet, which was considered unwieldy and ineffective).
    "The advent of modern warfare in the 20th century decreased the bayonet's usefulness, and as early as the American Civil War (1861–65) the bayonet was ultimately responsible for less than 1% of battlefield casualties.[35] Modern warfare, however, does still see the use of the bayonet for close-quarter fighting. The use of "cold steel" to force the enemy to retreat was very successful in numerous small unit engagements at short range in the American Civil War, as most troops would retreat when charged while reloading (which could take up to a minute with loose powder even for trained troops). Although such charges inflicted few casualties, they often decided short engagements, and tactical possession of important defensive ground features. Additionally, bayonet drill could be used to rally men temporarily discomfited by enemy fire." - Wikipedia

Second, perhaps consider not including the Gatling Gun (or making it a very rare, very expensive, very late-game unit). It simply saw very little use in the war, and saw zero use in any large scale battles.
    Gatling guns were used during the Civil War both on ships and on foot. It is true that they were rare, so adding very low unit caps would be a good idea (it also fixes potential unit spam problems).
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Bayonets: Yes, I'm fully aware of the fact that they weren't used often. The problem is, that I don't have any "beattheshitoutoftheenemywiththebuttofyourrifle"-Animation. So I have the choice between giving units swords (what CA did) or to give all units bayonets. I think bayonets are the more correct alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Faroda View Post
    as early as the bayonet was ultimately responsible for less than 1% of battlefield casualties
    Just for your information, those 1% battlefield casualties refers on the US medical reports of wounded soldiers:

Using that source, about 1.000 soldiers were treated cause of bayonet WOUNDS. In that sources, they counted the living soldiers, which made it to the rear.
    But we all know, that a bayonet wound will be deadly in 95 %. Those killed by melee combat werent counted...

Soo yes, melee combat was very present in the civil war and nearly every big - also today important and known battle scene has to do with melee fights with bayonets!
    You have to be aware of that

WalterSobchak71's Avatar Laetus

Really looking forward to this mod gentlemen. I am an American Civil Buff and a current senior in an American History degree program if you need any help with research.

Alabama during a naval battle

I agree that you shouldn't have all bayonets, you should give fifty fifty of each regiment bayonets. and I don't like the wattling gun either, and please do have unit variety please.

Can't the fix bayonets command be ported over from Empire like with light infantry behaviour and sqaures?

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Alabama during a naval battle

Roll Alabama Roll!