Thread: Make it compulsory for every HS to have its passwords shared.

Default Make it compulsory for every HS to have its passwords shared.

Hey, currently this forum has grinded to a halt due to Knight's absence and in many cases it is hard to fix it until he comes back. I suggest that it should be compulsory for every HS, for its players and admin to send a neutral player their passwords and for that person to store them somewhere. Then if a situation like this arises, it is much simpler to sub or replace players.

What do you guys think?

Chieftain Khuzaymah's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Make it compulsory for every HS to have its passwords shared.

It is not a bad idea, however, some players use the same password for every hotseat, which means that this neutral player can have a password for a HS that he shouldn't. Of course it is everyone's responsibility to pick good passwords, but I can see the objection on this part.

How about this: Every HS should have an admin and a co-admin so a cleared save can be provided at all times even if one of the admins is busy.
    Most Promising Youngblood TATW: Chieftain Khuzaymah

jemdkyl's Avatar Senator

The neutral "player" can be someone like Gigantus, who would not share the passwords. An administrator of the whole board basically.

themzr's Avatar Primicerius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

But then wouldn't that keep him from being able to play in a hotseat. Personally I use the same password for multiple hotswats and I don't want someone to be able to access them.

I see your points, but I think this idea is best. Having one guy with passwords to all the HS would be best, it should be someone WHO like Jem said is something like an adminstrator of the forums and wouldn't be interested in joining those HS (maybe someone from the Westeros HS forum also). The person would be honest and wouldn't use the passwords to cheat (anyway they wouldn't want to anyway if they aren't participating in TATW HS).

Speaking from an all-encompassing perspective (as in, all the hotseating forums, since it's been awhile since I've hotseated with TATW), it'd be best to give the admin passwords to some third-party person, such as Poach, if he is willing, since he is the Hex member who oversees the Gaming Staff. Or just a gaming staff member for the whole forum. After that, it is just a matter of making sure that admins just choose different passwords from what they use for their personal saves.

Well... We just have to face the biggest problem. TATW is shrinking rapidly, both players and admins leave or go inactive....

If there were enough players to back up the ones that leave we wouldn't have such a big problem ( same goes for admins ofc ), but there are only a few players left and HS activity is shrinking rapidly last weeks

Arrow2daknee's Avatar Vicarius

We wouldn't have to do this if the admins for hotseats wouldn't leave without saying anything, they are the ones that give out cleared saves and without them it's impossible to find a replacement if a player leaves without giving his pass to someone.

It would be best for all admins to give their admins passes to someone trustworthy that isn't interested in joining hotseats so if they leave without saying anything we can atleast find a new admin.

I do not think that the players should have to give their passes to anyone, just the admins that should give the admin passes to a neutral person.

jemdkyl's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Chieftain Khuzaymah View Post
    Well... We just have to face the biggest problem. TATW is shrinking rapidly, both players and admins leave or go inactive....

If there were enough players to back up the ones that leave we wouldn't have such a big problem ( same goes for admins ofc ), but there are only a few players left and HS activity is shrinking rapidly last weeks
    Buddy when I first joined TATW had like 2 hotseats going on lol. Matto gave it some action, he left, now it's screwed again. Honestly I think he kept TATW's hotseat community running single-handedly. These phases come and go, obviously people aren't gonna play the same game for years and years. If a giant like SS managed to fall then this will too. Westeros remains the sole survivor.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow2daknee View Post
    We wouldn't have to do this if the admins for hotseats wouldn't leave without saying anything, they are the ones that give out cleared saves and without them it's impossible to find a replacement if a player leaves without giving his pass to someone.

It would be best for all admins to give their admins passes to someone trustworthy that isn't interested in joining hotseats so if they leave without saying anything we can atleast find a new admin.

I do not think that the players should have to give their passes to anyone, just the admins that should give the admin passes to a neutral person.
    Ye this is much better than my suggestion. We should enforce this for every HS. Thanks Arrow!

Loose Cannon's Avatar Primicerius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Macrath disappeared, now knight of meh has gone missing, too?

I floated an idea, proposed by Ice Eyes, among the Gaming Staff that one of us would cover a forum we don't play in as a back up admin for all games. There's an area for GS where we could keep admin passwords safe and secure. Any GS could then step in to save a game where the admin went missing. I volunteered to cover either Third Age or Westeros. Just needed someone for the main forum and the one I don't cover. All that was needed was gathering the admin passwords. Want to know how much response I got?
    Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance-David Mamet

Old age and forgetfullness makes it . . .er, I forgot-Loose Cannon

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Cannon View Post
    Macrath disappeared, now knight of meh has gone missing, too?

I floated an idea, proposed by Ice Eyes, among the Gaming Staff that one of us would cover a forum we don't play in as a back up admin for all games. There's an area for GS where we could keep admin passwords safe and secure. Any GS could then step in to save a game where the admin went missing. I volunteered to cover either Third Age or Westeros. Just needed someone for the main forum and the one I don't cover. All that was needed was gathering the admin passwords. Want to know how much response I got?
    Speaking of response.... I contacted you twice in the last week(s) concerning admin jobs. Want to know how much response I got?

Loose Cannon's Avatar Primicerius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Chieftain Khuzaymah View Post
    Speaking of response.... I contacted you twice in the last week(s) concerning admin jobs. Want to know how much response I got?
    Actually,it was once and not even a week yet. And since my last post, I've had to deal with my lawyer, accountant, realtor, the sheriff about evicting a tenant, and find a new insurance agent. Do you think I'm a little busy? No, I can't take on another game now. A lot of games have died and so might the forum if we don't get afew more responsible people.
    Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance-David Mamet

Old age and forgetfullness makes it . . .er, I forgot-Loose Cannon

Aldor's Avatar Campidoctor

I did this for Aldor's HS and it worked very well.

It's better to take a neutral, non-participating member though.

For Aldor's I sent the passes for subbing, replacements, ...

Speeded the HS up quite a bit and extra safety for when admin forgets his pass.
    Retired GS member, admin and local moderator in Hotseat Subforum. Voted best TATW admin.

Matto16's Avatar Steward of Middle Earth

Quote Originally Posted by jemdkyl View Post
    Buddy when I first joined TATW had like 2 hotseats going on lol. Matto gave it some action, he left, now it's screwed again. Honestly I think he kept TATW's hotseat community running single-handedly. These phases come and go, obviously people aren't gonna play the same game for years and years. If a giant like SS managed to fall then this will too. Westeros remains the sole survivor.
    I have to agree with jem on this - it was mostly due to my wide advertising (and must mention Ice Eyes also) that this community grew so quickly in so short period of time. I won't say that there were no players around before, but I managed to get a lot of new members and opened 2 YB HS because of them. This shrinking doesn't surprise me, but it's not only because some of us left, but also because nobody continues with advertizing and inviting new members like I did (sending PM to new players in other HS communities, posting invitations to HS in main TATW thread and so on) and because those new players already lost their will to play and left.

I am Gaming Staff member again, but I don't have the same energy to revive this community once again, so I will mostly concentrate on other admining tasks. Some players are still loyal to this community and that may be enough for fun and its survival, but if anyone wish to bring more live in it, he is welcome to advertizing it and sending PM like I did.
    TATW HS Community Award

Also one of the main problems is that none of the YBs stay very long and if they do, they don't join other HS. YB2 is a prime example, all the YBs have pretty much left and now the factions are generally filled by core players.