Thread: Anyone still playing this one?

easytarget's Avatar Libertus

Icon5 Anyone still playing this one?

Yes, I'm quite late to the party, but hey, better late than never. Fired this one up for the first time after the disappointment of R2.

Anyway, I'm enjoying every single moment of this campaign, playing the English using SS6.4.

So, to the purpose of this thread, I'm posting this to see if there's anyone hanging about I can run questions by as they come up in the campaign.

There are game mechanics I'm quite confident I don't fully grasp. So, if anyone out there is lurking about and doesn't mind answering a few dumb questions now and again as I stumble my way through my first campaign hit me back with a shout and I'll start flinging some questions your way.

AntonisTheGreek's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Anyone still playing this one?

OK,ask

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Yeah, please, don't be shy.

Ok, here's a couple of the latest ones.

I've just run into a Teutonic Knight even that has sent a couple highly chevron'd armies up north, I lost a city to them. Am I to expect that now with this base of operations they will continue to expand and recruit more uber units?

And secondly, I've seen the announcement of the Mongol hordes coming, interestingly the the very moment of this announcement I had about 10 full stacks of Moors appear from the South and start wreaking havoc. Was this an unrelated event and it just so happens the Moors decided to make their move the turn after the announcement? In which case I can still look forward to still more trouble from the East?

Ok, that's a good place to start. Ah, well here's one more quick one, can you not replenish crusade specific units you've recruited? Appears to me there's no way to do it, but then I may just not completely get replenishment yet.

Thanks gents.

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Ok, here's a couple of the latest ones.

I've just run into a Teutonic Knight even that has sent a couple highly chevron'd armies up north, I lost a city to them. Am I to expect that now with this base of operations they will continue to expand and recruit more uber units?
    That's a logical assumption.

And secondly, I've seen the announcement of the Mongol hordes coming, interestingly the the very moment of this announcement I had about 10 full stacks of Moors appear from the South and start wreaking havoc. Was this an unrelated event and it just so happens the Moors decided to make their move the turn after the announcement? In which case I can still look forward to still more trouble from the East?
    It was unrelated, and you can look forward to more trouble from the East.

Ok, that's a good place to start. Ah, well here's one more quick one, can you not replenish crusade specific units you've recruited? Appears to me there's no way to do it, but then I may just not completely get replenishment yet.

Thanks gents.
    Replenishing mercenary units is already a bit of a pain, so with the added pressure of a crusade I've just never tried. That being said, mercenary units can be replenished (and retrained) in settlements of regions that currently have a pool of said units to recruit. And this can be worth the extra effort if you are interested in presevering and advancing your experience gains with such units, rather than simply merging them with like units of lesser experience, which retards the process. But, again, I've never tried with crusaders.

Thanks for the response! Sounds like I've got more fun in store from all directions. As I stumble my way forward and uncover more questions I'll stop back by with them.

_Elysium_'s Avatar Biarchus

I'm going to be coming back to this in the next few days, after almost a year since my last game. I intend to play my first ever campaign with SS6.4 (playing as France), so we may be able to help each other.

Great to hear! I look forward to running questions by you as they come up!

So I've got a powerful and expansive Byzantine Empire running amok, is diplomacy possible with these guys or is this strictly a military solution I have to apply?

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Diplomacy is possible but famously unreliable if you share a border. Assuming you're still the English in SS you mentioned in OP, you shouldn't need to worry too much. Gifting them small amounts of money each turn will keep them happy with you either as a defence policy or while you set up your own invasion force. Without any other details I can't help you much more.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Biarchus

Diplomacy in SS is better than in Vanilla but it's still broken. If you're playing as England don't bother much about diplomacy with Byzzies. Chances are that when you actualy meet you'll win the campaign after all

Undr answered most of the questions I'll add that I've seen crusade units replensch in cities but maybe that was with a sub mod. I usualy don't bother but if I had to, I'd give it a try. Buying crusade mercs is dependand on the region, try dig into this:

http://www.stainless-steel-mod.com/Mercs/Mercs.html

It also helps with other mercs and faction units.

Thanks for that link! And the advice regarding the Byzantines. I had a feeling they would not prove to be the talking time, I might throw money at them until I'm ready to deal with them since I've got plenty of that. I think part of my problem has been not expanding fast enough, something I plan to correct the next time out (and something I'm doing a better job with in my retro mod game as England I'm also playing concurrently).

It's been quite enjoyable, a good deal better than Rome 2.

Thanks for that link! And the advice regarding the Byzantines. I had a feeling they would not prove to be the talking time, I might throw money at them until I'm ready to deal with them since I've got plenty of that. I think part of my problem has been not expanding fast enough, something I plan to correct the next time out (and something I'm doing a better job with in my retro mod game as England I'm also playing concurrently).

It's been quite enjoyable, a good deal better than Rome 2.
    I have to admit, I prefer to expand veeery slowly, mostly because it increases the challenge even further than if I just run rampant. But this mostly applies to Vanilla, Schwert und Speer (A german mod) and Third Age, Stainless Steel has always seemed to still pose a challenge even if I expand quickly.

KingofPoland's Avatar Semisalis

I find SS to be pretty challenging, especially in my campaign as the Moors right now. Crusades keep getting called on Tunis so my reputation is terrible because of it and I'm stuck fighting multi-front wars. I'm managing to defend Toulouse and Bordeaux so they can't enter Iberia and I keep defending Tunis. I now have to gold chevroned armies because of all the siege defenses there were in Tunis, so I currently have them in Tunis and in Al-something right down south of Tunis. The only reliable ally I have right now is the fatimid Caliphate.

Also, I noticed the Kwarehzmian empire is actually putting up a fight against the mongols, limiting the mongols to the settlements north of the nearby mountains and east of the caspian sea. Has anyone else seen them defen that well against the Mongols? All I usually see them do is get destroyed by the mongols.

I am currently playing as the Mongols in ss 6.4 . I migrated to Jerusalem so the crusader states are gone and my home land . The KE were left untouched and expanded to all those settlements that they have east but I am going back as I was aiding them with the fight against the timurids but I have switch to timurids since KE betrayed me now I am sending massive amounts of full stack armies east it is now time to seal the fate of the KE

Having a ball in the Britannia campaign, in Kingdoms, as the Irish, hard/hard. After crushing the english and taking all 35 regions, I'll either hit Stainless Steel, as the byzantines (more of a crazy move by my tastes), or Invasio Barbarorum 2. The latter looks incredibly well polished, and there are only praises to it.

I wonder if they could upgrade the battle engine in these games to have more gore . Like actual dismemberment if that happens the battles that I have fought the field would be nothing but body parts I think it would really bring alot me excitement to the battle aspect . But if that to muc for a computer graphics card to handle ?

One little comment: You can retrain mercenaries in cities that are in the area of recruitment for said mercenaries. So, for example, in vanilla if you call a crusade you can recruit a lot of crusader knights, lose some, get to jerusalem and capture it, and then retrain them there, so it is not limited to specific countries. Likewise, you can merge units of mercenary spearmen that you recruit on france with ones you recruit on turkey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?

My first and favourite total war.