Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hyrule Total War - Installation Guide

Default Re: Hyrule Total War - Installation Guide

Yea, tried running Hyrule directly with the kingdoms.exe inside the medieval 2 folder, at least this time I got up to the screen which asks me what version of the UI I wish to run. In the end though, it crashes at the load up screen just like always.

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

Alrighty, starting from a fresh install of Hyrule: Total War.

1. Downloaded HTW 3.7, the base game.
    2. Downloaded HTW patches 3.7.3 and patch 3.7.4.
    3. For the purposes of this installation, I will not be downloading the Hyrule Historia missions.
    4. Installed the game files to their proper location (Since I'm a Steam user, I moved everything from the Sega folder to the Steam one)
    5. Made sure I had a kingdoms.exe in the Medieval II Total War folder. (Copied the vanilla medival II executable and rename the copy to kingdoms)
    6. Ran the Hyrule Executable (not the AUI file), found within the Hyrule mod folder
    7. The mod runs just fine. It booted up to the main menu and is ready to play.

Are you sure you installed the mod correctly? I have no problems on my end as a Steam user.
    Hibernation State: Playing Nintendo games and working on personal projects.

Quote Originally Posted by SirMark9 View Post

3. For the purposes of this installation, I will not be downloading the Hyrule Historia missions.
    4. Installed the game files to their proper location (Since I'm a Steam user, I moved everything from the Sega folder to the Steam one)
    5. Made sure I had a kingdoms.exe in the Medieval II Total War folder. (Copied the vanilla medival II executable and rename the copy to kingdoms)
    6. Ran the Hyrule Executable (not the AUI file), found within the Hyrule mod folder

Are you sure you installed the mod correctly? I have no problems on my end as a Steam user.
    I will try this again doing these exact directions. Now have you tried launching the game using the Launch options I find it to be much easier? After CA updated the Launch for medieval 2 they said type this --features.mod=mods/Folder name into the launch options to run mods sense the kingdoms Launcher app wont work now. Makes launching mods and switching them so much easier. It works for Third Age Total war, Three Kingdoms, Call of Warhammer. Dont know why it wouldnt work for this one

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Shika_mech View Post
    I will try this again doing these exact directions. Now have you tried launching the game using the Launch options I find it to be much easier? After CA updated the Launch for medieval 2 they said type this --features.mod=mods/Folder name into the launch options to run mods sense the kingdoms Launcher app wont work now. Makes launching mods and switching them so much easier. It works for Third Age Total war, Three Kingdoms, Call of Warhammer. Dont know why it wouldnt work for this one
    Let me know how that works out for you.
    I've been meaning to try out the latest stuff for HTW. But with all I hear about it causing CTDs(Crash to Desktop). I wasn't sure I should get it yet. Until what ever is causing them is fix. :/

Yea, I'll delete what I've got and start the download fresh. What I did do differently was install it directly into the medieval 2 mods folder, so I'll transfer it from the sega folder this time. I'll try the patches next, maybe they are needed to run HTW. If that doesn't work and all hope is lost, at least I still have myself.

Ah, finally it works. I was under the impression I did not need patches 3.7.3 and 3.7.4
    So I redid the whole installation along with adding those to the process afterwards, moved everything from the sega folder to the steam medieval 2 mods folder and voila, I can get into the main game screen finally. Any other patches I should be aware of now that I'm at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by RiseofHank View Post
    Ah, finally it works. I was under the impression I did not need patches 3.7.3 and 3.7.4
    So I redid the whole installation along with adding those to the process afterwards, moved everything from the sega folder to the steam medieval 2 mods folder and voila, I can get into the main game screen finally. Any other patches I should be aware of now that I'm at this point?
    Is what I thought.

As with what Eldren said above, the mod CTD-ed multiple times using the executable and also by changing the launch settings. I could never actually reach the campaign map, the furthest I got was the last 99% of the loading screen before a CTD. Although it also CTD during the mod's opening cutscene, in the main menu, and twice in the faction selection for the freeform campaign.

the mod CTD-ed multiple times using the executable and also by changing the launch settings. I could never actually reach the campaign map, the furthest I got was the last 99% of the loading screen before a CTD. Although it also CTD during the mod's opening cutscene, in the main menu,
    Does it work now for you?

and twice in the faction selection for the freeform campaign.
    This last 2 CTDs you spoke of. Was probably do to you selecting several Faction in a row.
    It is a Known bug of M2TW. And by that, Extends to HTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldren View Post
    Does it work now for you?

This last 2 CTDs you spoke of. Was probably do to you selecting several Faction in a row.
    It is a Known bug of M2TW. And by that, Extends to HTW.
    At most, I can select any faction and it starts loading the campaign. But before the campaign could be fully loaded, it CTDs. I've tried it with about four factions including the Darknuts, Gerudo, Gorons, and Hylians.
    Technically, the mod works, but I can't actually have the chance to even play it.

I've been meaning to try out the latest stuff for HTW. But with all I hear about it causing CTDs(Crash to Desktop). I wasn't sure I should get it yet. Until what ever is causing them is fix. :/
    I have always Launched the game that way I was unaware that this way had reported problems. This is how Ive laucnhed all of my mods sense the update came out for the game. This method has worked for this game untill patch 3.7.4. Ive tried it on 3.7.3 and the game works just fine even with the community patch.

I have once again reinstalled it to 3.7.4 fallowed the instructions to the letter I even used the AUI directly and the shortcut. I fallowed the instructions in the cmd prompt once it loads and selected my faction of choice(Hylians) directly. Still does not work.

The game launches fine Its when I start the camapgn. I can choose a faction and the loading screen starts however as soon as the loading bar is done it CTDs without a single message

EDIT: Please note I did not use the community patch for this attempt

I haven't touched Hyrule Total War in quite a while or have updated to the latest version, so I am unsure if this will provide much assistance.

Have you tried creating a copy of medieval2.exe and renaming it kingdoms.exe?

After doing that, try running Hyrule Total War directly. If there continue to be problems, let me know and I'll try troubleshooting from my end.
    Yes, and it works with other mods, so I know that I did that properly.

Quote Originally Posted by tribboleth View Post
    Yes, and it works with other mods, so I know that I did that properly.
    Do you have back up installss programs?
    The grab yourself Tester Submode and install it my Game worked afterwards again no idea why

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

Alrighty, just tried to run the Freeform Campaign from the successful startup that I had previously.

1. Managed to load up to the main menu screen.
    2. Selected Freeform Campaign
    3. Chose Darknuts
    4. Waited for the game to transition to the loading screen (During this time, it seems like the game is locked up, but its not).
    5. Waited for the loading screen to finish loading.
    6. I can confirm that the game crashes after the loading screen is done loading. However, there is no error message, it just crashes. This is using Hyrule 3.7 with patches 3.7.3 and 3.7.4 applied.

The next step is to figure out what version is stable. I remember having 3.7.3 working, so I'll have to do a clean install again and see if 3.7.4 is the problem.

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

Apologies on the double post, but an update to troubleshooting Hyrule Total War.

The 3.7.3 patch works fine, I can load into the freeform campaign map and (presumably) play HTW.

Something in the 3.7.4 patch breaks the game upon loading into the freeform campaign map (it crashes at the end of the loading screen when attempting to transition to the campaign map itself). I have attached the logs in an attempt to pinpoint where the problem is.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I did install the 3.7.4 patch, so that must be the case. I suppose I could do a fresh install for now with patch 3.7.3 since I'm not terribly impatient.

yes using the launch options --features.mod=mods/Folder name works with Hyrule Total war 3.7.3. A little quicker way to launch the game. Not to mention easily switch between mods.

Hey Guys, look here below. It maybe a Fix to the CTD.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...7#post14584087

Hey Guys, look here below. It maybe a Fix to the CTD.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...7#post14584087
    idk i found those files when I installed. That was something I did check, I guess Ill have to find them again

I reinstalled everything and used the file Neph posted here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14558133 and got 3.7.4 to work! Im even using the community patch 7
    Still using the Launch options in steam --features.mod=mods/hyrule

Updated December 23rd, 2014!

Welcome to the (unofficial) Installation Guide for Hyrule: Total War! If you have any questions or technical issues while installing or running the mod please post them here. (Only those two problems, all other issues go in the Bugs and Technical Issues subcategory)

Please note that this guide is coming from a person who uses the Steam version of Medieval II + Kingdoms. Your installation may be different depending on how you have obtained the base game.

Contents:
    Step 1:
    Installing Medieval Total War 2 & the Kingdoms Expansion
    Step 2: Downloading the Base Mod, the Hyrule Historia, and the Community Patches
    Step 3: Installing The Mod
    Step 4: Running The Mod
    Step 4A: Replacing a Kingdoms Expansion or
    Step4B: Playing Hyrule Total War Directly
    Common Questions and Answers

Step 1: Installing Medieval Total War 2 & the Kingdoms Expansion
    - First, make sure you own and have already downloaded Medieval II and its Kingdoms expansion. This should be self-explanatory, and if you are using Steam, just simply select the title and click the Install button.

Step 2: Downloading the Base Mod, the Hyrule Historia, and the Community Patches
    - After installing the base game, it is time to download the mod. To obtain the mod, check the moddb page or simply follow the links below.
    - Hyrule Total War is separated into several parts. The main installer will grant you access to the Freeform Campaign and Custom Battles, but if you wish to see the story and cutscenes of HTW, you must also download the Hyrule Historia files. The Hyrule Historia is further divided into sections based on the story arc, just download the ones you wish to experience (or download them all!).
    - In addition, you can also download the latest Community Patch for the latest bug fixes and balancing tweaks between official releases. To do so, just download the attachment in the respective topic and follow the Read Me instructions.
    - A note of caution, Hyrule Total War has large files and may take some time to download. During this time, if the Internet connection is broken or otherwise disrupted during this process it may corrupt or cancel the download, so be careful!

ModDB Downloads Page: http://www.moddb.com/mods/hyrule-total-war/downloads

Latest Release: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14259896
    Community Patches: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...rule-Total-War

Spoiler for Pictures

This picture shows the main file download page. Just hit Download Now and wait for it to finish. The layout will be similar if you choose to also download the Hyrule Historia missions.
    Here is the main Downloads page for HTW on ModDB. Download what Hyrule Historia missions you see fit!

Step 3: Installing The Mod
    - After completion of the download, check your Downloads folder or wherever downloads are saved on your computer. Run the installer(s) and follow the directions as indicated.
    - Attention Steam Users! Remember that you have Medieval II in your Steam directory and not Sega! However, there is an easy way to fix the headache without having to change the directory each and every time you run an installer. Install the mod as the installer indicates to the Sega folder. After all the installers have finished, cut and paste the entirety of the Hyrule folder to your Steam version. (...Steam/steamapps/common/Medieval II Total War/mods/Hyrule)

Spoiler for Pictures

If you decide to install it properly (if a Steam user) during the installation process, REMEMBER TO DO THIS EVERY TIME.

Alternatively, just install it normally to Sega and then copy and paste entirety of the folder Hyrule to its proper location.

Step 4: Running The Mod
    - From here, there are several methods to get Hyrule: Total War to run.
    - NOTICE: Steam Users!
    -- Due to a Steam Update, you will no longer have kingdoms.exe which most mods run off of.
    -- To fix this problem, just copy and paste your
    medieval2.exe and rename the copy to kingdoms.exe. This also helps when downloading other mods besides HTW!

Step 4A: Replacing a Kingdoms Expansion
    - Remember where you installed Hyrule: Total War? (Medieval II/mods) Navigate back there using Windows Explorer (essentially, normally).
    - Make a backup of an existing expansion (Select, Copy & Paste).
    - Then, delete the original folder.
    - Rename Hyrule: Total war to the name of the folder you deleted.
    - Start up Medieval II.
    - Select the name of the Kingdoms Expansion you replaced.
    - Hyrule Total War should now work! Enjoy playing!

Spoiler for Pictures

1. This is how the mods folder should look like right after installing it properly or copy and pasting the Hyrule folder over from Sega.
    2. Make a backup of the americas campaign, delete the original folder, and rename Hyrule to americas.
    3. This is how the mods folder should look like after replacing a kingdoms expansion (in this example, americas)

This is inside the Hyrule folder disguised as the americas campaign. Also, double check the data folder. If anything seems to be missing, chances are you may have made a mistake while installing (especially for Steam users, check the Sega folder if any of Hyrule's files made it there.)

Step4B: Playing Hyrule Total War Directly
    - Navigate to the Hyrule mod folder.
    - Create a shortcut to the Executable (windows batch file), and place it in in the location of your choice. (Desktop is a logical place to put it.)
    - To make the icon look nice, right click on the shortcut, click Properties, then Change Icon, and then navigate back to the HTW folder and use the icon there.
    - Now, just run the shortcut to play Hyrule Total War!
    (Pictures may be included soon.(TM))

Common Questions and Answers:

Q: Everything is installed but when I run Hyrule Total War it crashes at startup! Also, I have the Medieval II loading screen instead of Hyrule!
    A: Double check your files across your Steam and Sega folders. Chances are you have missed transferring files from one location to another. Also, don't make the mistake of placing all your files in the data folder and renaming that Hyrule as that will mess up your install!

I hope this guide proved to be helpful on your quest to install Hyrule Total War! If there are any questions or suggestions, please post them here, otherwise, have a good one!

Doesn't work, I only get fatal error reports.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast