Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hyrule Total War - Installation Guide

Default Re: Hyrule Total War - Installation Guide

Wanted to take it upon myself to point out this issue for Steam users as well.

For those who are using the KingdomsAppLauncher, and are receiving the "File 'kingdoms.exe' cannot be identified / found" as an error in a dialog box, or something along those lines when trying to launch from MTW's Kingdoms Launcher, try switching the KingdomsAppLauncher settings for Hyrule: Total War from Kingdoms to Medieval II.

For some reason (and this makes sense to me), kingdoms.exe was not included anywhere in my Steam version of Medieval II. KingdomsAppLauncher uses the default and launches Hyrule correctly if your mod is named correctly and your Configuration.cfg is selected properly when you switch over to Medieval II.

Thanks.

As a side note: as of 7/23/2014, I'm still crashing when going to select my faction. The best way to avoid this issue is to, instead, use Hyrule: Total War's wiki, scan through all of the factions, then quickly find which one you'd like to play and continue.

Mattwensley's Avatar Primicerius

Thanks mate, I'll start sharing this around.
    ~~Knowledge is power, and I do not like the feeling of weakness~~
    ~~If it's a million to one shot, I'll make sure I'm the one~~

TheHylianJuggalo's Avatar Senator

Ignore all this crap, I didn't bother to go through
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hey guys, would you mind helping a buddy of mine out? I can't seem to figure out what's wrong either.

A bit of background, we're currently working with V3.5. We have all of the information in the correct folders, and directory (x86/steam/steamapps...yaddayaddayadda) but when attempting to run from the batch file through the desktop, we get the following error

Windows cannot find 'kingdoms.exe'. Make sure you typed the file name correctly, and then try again.

I assumed that the directory was busted, and it wasn't opening the kingdoms launcher to run the game. I attempted to open it manually through the vanilla kingdoms launcher and Squid's launcher app, but instead got the traditional exception error.

The game WAS working fine a week ago, and we played a standard hotseat, with me as Labrynna and he as Darknut. This was a sudden shift, and no changes were made on a personal level. Medieval was updating on Steam today (and when I say updating, I'm pretty sure that means re installing (what kind of an update takes ten damn gigs!?))

Case in point, I was pretty certain that was the issue. So I uninstalled the mod completely, backed up our save to the desktop, re installed everything (except the 5.1 patch, since it hadn't ran yet), moved our saves to the saves folder, and got the exact same issues.

What the hell is going on? Cookie for someone.
    Last edited by TheHylianJuggalo; July 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM.
    Michael Scott Meisenhelter - 3/3/1963-11/4/2015
    -Lost, but not forgotten. Baptized by fire.-

When I die,
    Show no pitty,
    Send my soul to Juggalo City.
    Dig my grave six feet deep,
    Put two matches by my feet,
    Put two hatchets on my chest,
    And tell my homies I did my best

Quote Originally Posted by TheHylianJuggalo View Post
    Ignore all this crap, I didn't bother to go through
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hey guys, would you mind helping a buddy of mine out? I can't seem to figure out what's wrong either.

A bit of background, we're currently working with V3.5. We have all of the information in the correct folders, and directory (x86/steam/steamapps...yaddayaddayadda) but when attempting to run from the batch file through the desktop, we get the following error

Windows cannot find 'kingdoms.exe'. Make sure you typed the file name correctly, and then try again.

I assumed that the directory was busted, and it wasn't opening the kingdoms launcher to run the game. I attempted to open it manually through the vanilla kingdoms launcher and Squid's launcher app, but instead got the traditional exception error.

The game WAS working fine a week ago, and we played a standard hotseat, with me as Labrynna and he as Darknut. This was a sudden shift, and no changes were made on a personal level. Medieval was updating on Steam today (and when I say updating, I'm pretty sure that means re installing (what kind of an update takes ten damn gigs!?))

Case in point, I was pretty certain that was the issue. So I uninstalled the mod completely, backed up our save to the desktop, re installed everything (except the 5.1 patch, since it hadn't ran yet), moved our saves to the saves folder, and got the exact same issues.

What the hell is going on? Cookie for someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Fonz0 View Post
    open up the .bat file labeled AUI in a text editor, and rename any instance of "kingdoms.exe" with "medieval2,exe"
    If that don't work still. Make sure your Mod in your Mod folder is just called "Hyrule". That did it for me, because It was trying to run a file called "Hyrule". But at the time I had all my HTW mods called some thing else.
    Post back if it still don't work.

Okay, I'm still getting an issue of sorts.

When i launch Hyrule (using the the edited AUI and Executable files), it gives me the menu background (the blue one) and music from vanilla M2TW and won't let me start any custom / quick battle or campaign.

Matt did tell me this was due to Medieval rather than Kingdoms being the game launched, but surely the Kingdoms as DLC should have kicked in? (Steam also says i have Kingdoms, but one one or two pages asks money for it, which is very disconcerting)

Does anyone have a workaround for this problem? I'm currently redownloading TATW, to test if it is just HTW that has this problem.
    Taram Chalco - Elizabeth Westcliffe - Kesaris - Erika Homewood - Kalian Benton Galhansen

--The Infinite Notebook of Perpetually Unfinished Squirrel Sketches--

Quote Originally Posted by VictorAYorke View Post
    Okay, I'm still getting an issue of sorts.

When i launch Hyrule (using the the edited AUI and Executable files), it gives me the menu background (the blue one) and music from vanilla M2TW and won't let me start any custom / quick battle or campaign.

Matt did tell me this was due to Medieval rather than Kingdoms being the game launched, but surely the Kingdoms as DLC should have kicked in? (Steam also says i have Kingdoms, but one one or two pages asks money for it, which is very disconcerting)

Does anyone have a workaround for this problem? I'm currently redownloading TATW, to test if it is just HTW that has this problem.
    This happens to me too. To fix it, just make sure you have steam open before you play HTW. Other wise it will open vanilla M2TW instead when steam boots up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldren View Post
    This happens to me too. To fix it, just make sure you have steam open before you play HTW. Other wise it will open vanilla M2TW instead when steam boots up.
    No luck, I'm afraid. Still get to the vanilla menu background, still have no campaign or tac battle menu...

EDIT - what is more, launching Third Age gave me what is to all extents and purposes M2TW, without the loading screen, cursor etc of the mod...
    Last edited by VictorAYorke; August 02, 2014 at 10:19 AM.
    Taram Chalco - Elizabeth Westcliffe - Kesaris - Erika Homewood - Kalian Benton Galhansen

Quote Originally Posted by VictorAYorke View Post
    No luck, I'm afraid. Still get to the vanilla menu background, still have no campaign or tac battle menu...

EDIT - what is more, launching Third Age gave me what is to all extents and purposes M2TW, without the loading screen, cursor etc of the mod...
    So try this next. go to your HTW game files and find the AUI and Executable files. edit them to see whats coded.
    The Executable File should look like this.
    @echo off
    cd ..\..
    start medieval2.exe @mods\Hyrule\Configuration.cfg
    And you should see this in numerous spots in the AUI file.
    start medieval2.exe @mods\Hyrule\Configuration.cfg
    If so, then make sure in your mod folder that HTW is simply called Hyrule. To match what is in red.
    This proses should also apply to Third Age.

Okay.. I'd already done that for Hyrule, but I double-checked. All folders called /Hyrule/ as they were meant to.

Unusually, I did the same thing for Third Age and got it working. With this in mind, I'm beginning to suspect something has gone wrong with my installation of HTW somewhere. I'll try a clean install tomorrow and report back.

Many thanks for the advice so far though Eldren, I'm sure we'll get this whole issue cracked yet!

Sigh.

Running 3.6, with the Community Fan Patch.

At first I was using the Kingdoms CD rather than the Med2 CD. Quite a trip-up.

Now, the issue is the game crashes out. It does not reach any kind of start screen at all. The error message is 'Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry, pal.'. Med2 itself works fine and normally. Sizing of 'Hyrule' is 4.22GB. neither using AUI nor the direct executable works.
    Last edited by Bloodly; August 07, 2014 at 10:29 AM.

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

@ Bloody

I don't know what I'm talking about in the following words, so take it with a grain of salt.

The Community Patch is optimized for the latest Steam version of the game. It may be that you still can run HTW using the old method if you are using disks if the Sega variant was not updated.

What you may need to do is take the AUI.bat and Executable.bat files and change everything from the medieval.exe to the kingdoms.exe one. Open it up in notepad or any text editor and use the find and replace tool.

Hopefully this helps.
    Hibernation State: Playing Nintendo games and working on personal projects.

I...question the usefulness of this, given Kingdoms itself does NOT like Windows 8.1. None of the Kingdoms campaigns work, nor does the Kingdoms executable. The reason given is incompatibility: 'This application is not compatible with the installed operating system. Please upgrade to Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 or better'. This I find odd given it installed without a hitch.

EDIT: All settled. Now, what to do with the Kokiri....
    Last edited by Bloodly; August 07, 2014 at 11:29 PM.

easiest way to make modes working again is
    kopie medieval2.exe
    paste in the same place
    now you got "medieval2.exe" and "medieval2.exe kopie"
    now rename "medieval2.exe kopie" to "kingdoms.exe" and so you never needto brother with it again

Okay, ever since steam updated and has this new look to it, my comp can't seem to open the game. I've tried fixing like you guys said, by replacing kingdoms.exe with medieval2.exe, but I try running the executable and i gives me the error message: "The program can't start because mss32.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. I've reinstalled H:TW twice now and did the replacement both times, but I can't get past this loading screen. Any help?

TheHylianJuggalo's Avatar Senator

Hey guys, been a while. Question, a friend of mine just got MII on Steam, and wants to install this game. One caveat however is that he does not want the instability of 3.6. I happen to have a copy of 3.5 backed up to an external that I emailed him, but neither he or I can get the thing to run. The only way I can see the game can run is through the batch file, but unless the game is 3.6 with a community patch, it won't run off of it without some tweaking, of which I have no idea what to do with.

I'd like to imagine that I could just take step 4 in this guide (replace an expansion), to get the thing to work, but with recent updates, I don't really see HOW to get this to work if the game never gives me the option to pick an expansion at launch (since everything is managed through the single medieval exe, and just launches the vanilla game without any consulting.

Any help would be wonderful, thanks
    Michael Scott Meisenhelter - 3/3/1963-11/4/2015
    -Lost, but not forgotten. Baptized by fire.-

When I die,
    Show no pitty,
    Send my soul to Juggalo City.
    Dig my grave six feet deep,
    Put two matches by my feet,
    Put two hatchets on my chest,
    And tell my homies I did my best

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

@ TheHylianJuggalo

If you want to run 3.5 on Steam, all you have to do is replace the AUI and EXE files. You can use the ones from the Community Patches, they can be considered universal to get mods to run for Steam Users. (These are the two batch files outside the "data" folder.)

Run the modified Executable with HTW 3.5 and everything should work properly.

Edit: If case anyone is wondering, I'll update the Installation Guide when the next official path / release comes out, which is currently estimated to be somewhere around Christmas Day.
    Last edited by SirMark9; December 08, 2014 at 09:46 AM.

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

Bump due to the latest release of Hyrule: Total War. The guide itself is currently in the process of being updated.

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

Bumping topic for increased visibility.

Okay, so I've got the most recent mod update and the patch. I have had to remove and C&P several times now with the base game file (Unmodded and saved in a separate file). I have performed step 4 and 4A repeatedly (Alone and both at the same time), yet I continually get the 'cannot find executable file'. Am I missing something?

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Talon881 View Post
    Okay, so I've got the most recent mod update and the patch. I have had to remove and C&P several times now with the base game file (Unmodded and saved in a separate file). I have performed step 4 and 4A repeatedly (Alone and both at the same time), yet I continually get the 'cannot find executable file'. Am I missing something?
    Alrighty, so I assume
    1: You have Medieval II + Kingdoms installed.
    2: You have downloaded HTW 3.7. The 3.7.1 patch is just a patch update (not the full download) and is already included in Community Patch 6.
    3: You have the HTW mod folder in the correct location (Steam or Sega depending on method of installation.)

Now, I personally do not replace a Kingdoms expansion to run HTW. Quickly looking over the insides of those folders (from a Steam user), I wonder if replacing expansions will still work...

Have you tried running HTW directly? All you have to do is navigate to its mod folder (keep is as the default "Hyrule") and run the executable.

Also, another tip that is not currently included in the Installation Guide. If you plan on running multiple mods besides HTW and lack the file kingdoms.exe, make a copy of medieval2.exe and rename the copy to kingdoms.exe. With this change, in theory there will be no need for modified EXE or AUI files for HTW.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast