Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hyrule Total War - Installation Guide

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

Default Hyrule Total War - Installation Guide

Updated August 18th, 2015!

Welcome to the (unofficial) Installation Guide for Hyrule: Total War! If you have any questions or technical issues while installing or running the mod please post them here. (Only those two problems, all other issues go in the Bugs and Technical Issues subcategory)

Please note that this guide is coming from a person who uses the Steam version of Medieval II + Kingdoms. Your installation may be different depending on how you have obtained the base game.

Contents:
    Step 1:
    Installing Medieval Total War 2 & the Kingdoms Expansion
    Step 2: Downloading the Base Mod and the Hyrule Historia
    Step 3: Installing The Mod
    Step 4: Running The Mod
    Common Questions and Answers

Step 1: Installing Medieval Total War 2 & the Kingdoms Expansion
    - First, make sure you own and have already downloaded Medieval II and its Kingdoms expansion. This should be self-explanatory, and if you are using Steam, just simply select the title and click the Install button.

Step 2: Downloading the Base Mod, the Hyrule Historia, and the Community Patches
    - After installing the base game, it is time to download the mod. To obtain the mod, check the moddb page or simply follow the links below.
    - Hyrule Total War is separated into several parts. The main installer will grant you access to the Freeform Campaign and Custom Battles, but if you wish to see the story and cutscenes of HTW, you must also download the Hyrule Historia files. The Hyrule Historia is further divided into sections based on the story arc, just download the ones you wish to experience (or download them all!).
    - A note of caution, Hyrule Total War has large files and may take some time to download. During this time, if the Internet connection is broken or otherwise disrupted during this process it may corrupt or cancel the download, so be careful!

ModDB Downloads Page: http://www.moddb.com/mods/hyrule-total-war/downloads

Latest Release (3.8): http://www.moddb.com/mods/hyrule-total-war/downloads/hyrule-total-war-38

Spoiler for Pictures

This picture shows the main file download page. Just hit Download Now and wait for it to finish. The layout will be similar if you choose to also download the Hyrule Historia missions.
    Here is the main Downloads page for HTW on ModDB. Download what Hyrule Historia missions you see fit!

Step 3: Installing The Mod
    - IMPORTANT NOTE: Remember when installing new version of Hyrule Total War to delete any and all previous installations of HTW, or it may not work properly!
    - After completion of the download, check your Downloads folder or wherever downloads are saved on your computer. Run the installer(s) and follow the directions as indicated.
    - Attention Steam Users! Remember that you have Medieval II in your Steam directory and not Sega! However, there is an easy way to to install Hyrule Total War, it just involved one additional step.
    -- First, install mod as the installer indicates to the Sega folder.
    -- Second, cut and paste the entirety of the Hyrule folder to your Steam version. (...Steam/steamapps/common/Medieval II Total War/mods/Hyrule)
    -- Congratulations, you have installed them mod!

Step 4: Running The Mod
    - NOTICE: Steam Users!
    -- Due to a Steam Update, you will no longer have kingdoms.exe which most mods run off of.
    -- To fix this problem, just copy and paste your
    medieval2.exe and rename the copy to kingdoms.exe. This also helps when downloading other mods besides HTW!
    - Navigate to the Hyrule mod folder.
    - Create a shortcut to the Executable (windows batch file), and place it in in the location of your choice. (Desktop is a logical place to put it.)
    - To make the icon look nice, right click on the shortcut, click Properties, then Change Icon, and then navigate back to the HTW folder and use the icon there.
    - Now, just run the shortcut to play Hyrule Total War!
    Spoiler for Pictures
    If you are a Steam User, remember to have kingdoms.exe! Create it by copy and pasting the medieval2.exe and renaming the copy to kingdoms.exe. Easy!

Here is the Executable and Icon in the Hyrule Mod folder, right click the Executable to create a shortcut and place it on your desktop.

Finally, right click the Executable Shortcut and select Properties.
    Click on Select Icon, then Browse. (There may be a pop-up, just ignore it.)
    Head to your Hyrule mod folder and select the icon there (or use a different icon if you are feeling creative!)
    Hit Ok on the Change Icon screen, then hit Apply on the Executable Properties.
    The last step is to simply change the name from Executable to Hyrule Total War. Do this by left clicking the text and wait for the prompt, and then change the name! You are now ready to play Hyrule Total War!

Common Questions and Answers:

Q: Everything is installed but when I run Hyrule Total War it crashes at startup! Also, I have the Medieval II loading screen instead of Hyrule!
    A: Double check your files across your Steam and Sega folders. Chances are you have missed transferring files from one location to another. Also, don't make the mistake of placing all your files in the data folder and renaming that Hyrule as that will mess up your install!

I hope this guide proved to be helpful on your quest to install Hyrule Total War! If there are any questions or suggestions, please post them here, otherwise, have a good one!
    Last edited by SirMark9; August 18, 2015 at 01:30 PM.

Default Re: Hyrule Total War - Installation Guide

Thanks for the guide, SirMark. I thought I installed it properly, and I was still getting the crash on startup, but I'm uninstalling and trying again. Thanks anyway!

Tried this four separate times now. It can't be that I'm installing it wrong, especially considering that a number of other people are reporting the same problem. I guess I'll just wait for the next version or until someone finds a fix. :/

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

Hmm...

I know when I wiped my old Hyrule Total War and re-installed it I made a mistake in installing the files to separate folders and that was one probably cause for crashing. I managed to get it work on my end by replacing a Kingdoms campaign and by using the Kingdoms App Launcher. Testing further, the AUI and the Executable in the mod folder also works fine on my end.

When exactly does the crash occur? Normally, Hyrule Total War should follow these steps.
    1. Startup Loading Screen.
    2. Nintendo Logo, then Sega Logo (http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...enCutscene.png)
    3. Introduction Cutscene
    4: Standard Loading Screen (http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...dingScreen.png)
    5: Main Menu (http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/MainMenu.png)

I would assume the crashes start at Step 1. Does the Hyrule: Total War loading screen show up or does the default Medieval II one appear?

Quick question do you have windows 8.1 cus I'm thinking that maybe kingdoms itself doesn't like it, since whenever I tried to launch one absolutely nothing happened no error message or anything, this was way before I installed the mod btw. I'm really clutching at straws but I can't think of anything else, it worked fine on plain ver 8

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

I use Windows 7. Never liked Windows 8. It may be a case of an operating system, it may be possible to roll back to a previous version if it worked then.

Three quick questions for those who are having problems.
    1: When does the crash occur? (See my above post for details)
    2: How large is your Hyrule mod folder? My working install is 4.89 GB.
    3:
    Does the Medieval II Startup Loading Screen appear or does Hyrule's?

Quote Originally Posted by SirMark9 View Post
    I use Windows 7. Never liked Windows 8. It may be a case of an operating system, it may be possible to roll back to a previous version if it worked then.

Three quick questions for those who are having problems.
    1: When does the crash occur? (See my above post for details)
    2: How large is your Hyrule mod folder? My working install is 4.89 GB.
    3:
    Does the Medieval II Startup Loading Screen appear or does Hyrule's?
    1. Crash occurs during startup loading screen.
    2. Hyrule mod folder is 4.89 GB.
    3. Medieval II screen shows up.

Thanks for all the help so far.

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Johnstathan View Post
    1. Crash occurs during startup loading screen.
    2. Hyrule mod folder is 4.89 GB.
    3. Medieval II screen shows up.

Thanks for all the help so far.
    Well, this information seems to throw out a malfunctioning install if all the information is there, but yet the Medieval II screen appears...

So, more questions:
    1. What method are you using to run Hyrule: Total War (Replacement or Kingdom Launcher App)? If one method doesn't work, try the other.
    2. In the Mods folder, does the Hyrule mod have any spaces in it? (Is the folder name "Hyrule Total War" or just "Hyrule"?)

At this rate, a part of me wonders to see if I can upload my functioning build somewhere and see if downloading that works.

Well, this information seems to throw out a malfunctioning install if all the information is there, but yet the Medieval II screen appears...

So, more questions:
    1. What method are you using to run Hyrule: Total War (Replacement or Kingdom Launcher App)? If one method doesn't work, try the other.
    2. In the Mods folder, does the Hyrule mod have any spaces in it? (Is the folder name "Hyrule Total War" or just "Hyrule"?)

At this rate, a part of me wonders to see if I can upload my functioning build somewhere and see if downloading that works.
    1. I originally renamed the folder to americas, but seeing as that doesn't work I manually organized it so it'd show up in the launcher.

2. Well the folder showed up as "data" originally, but I rename that to Hyrule, and put all the loose files inside. Maybe I'm screwing up there?

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Johnstathan View Post
    1. I originally renamed the folder to americas, but seeing as that doesn't work I manually organized it so it'd show up in the launcher.

2. Well the folder showed up as "data" originally, but I rename that to Hyrule, and put all the loose files inside. Maybe I'm screwing up there?
    The part in bold is likely the cause of your problem. Here's some screenshots on how the Hyrule folder should look like and then the Data folder. (The Data folder goes inside the Hyrule folder)
    Spoiler for Pictures

Circle: Here is the folder order for Hyrule: Total War.
    Arrow: The Data folder goes inside the Hyrule folder.

Circle: This is the Data folder inside Hyrule. These should be the only files in the Data folder. If there is some mix between the normal Hyrule folder and the Data folder, then there was a mistake in installation.

The part in bold is likely the cause of your problem. Here's some screenshots on how the Hyrule folder should look like and then the Data folder. (The Data folder goes inside the Hyrule folder)
    Spoiler for Pictures

Circle: Here is the folder order for Hyrule: Total War.
    Arrow: The Data folder goes inside the Hyrule folder.

Circle: This is the Data folder inside Hyrule. These should be the only files in the Data folder. If there is some mix between the normal Hyrule folder and the Data folder, then there was a mistake in installation.
    Oh shoot. Yes, I thought I had to rename the data folder, and had been putting everything else inside of it. Thanks for catching this for me, I'll attempt to re-install it right away.

It works!

thanks so much, Mark!

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

Bump for good measure.

Although, it may be nice if this topic was a sticky...

Civis

would it be better if this thread was in the bug/technical issues section as well?

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

Edit: Added a changelog to this post.
    Edit 2: Instead of posting and bumping the Q&A thread, I'll post it here. I updated the original post in the HTW Quick Questions and Answers Thread to contain links to useful and interesting topics.

Possibly, but having two copies of the same thread seems redundant, even if the other copy is in the Bugs and Technical Issues subforum.

However, if people tend to obtain the mod from the Releases topic, it should help if a link to this guide was present alongside the download information.

Changelog:
    - Added additional information in "Installing The Mod", specifically stating the size of the mod folder.
    - Removed the red disclaimer on the first Common Questions and Answers as that issue has been solved. Also made several additions to the answer of that question, specifically restating the size of the mod folder.
    - Revised the ending statement.
    Last edited by SirMark9; May 01, 2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Hi!

My game crashes when im looking through the campaign factions. When it crashes there is no error screen or anythign of that sort, it just takes me out of the screeen and there is no window to click in the taskbar. When i try to rerun it, it says the app is already running. I am running the game through steam, and i did the kingdoms launcher method app. I looked and from what i could see the folders look to be in the correct area and the folders all ook to be there (based off your pictures). The total folder is 4.89 GB like it is supposed to be. Any ideas?

and just so you know, it "crashes" when i click a faction, but it tends to do it more when its a faction I havent clicked yet,and it is go to my task manager to try and force the game to exit since "the app is already running" there isnt anything i can exit out of besides steams process, and that doesnt work

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

1: Freeform Campaign - Faction Selection Crash
    - Honestly, I don't know the cause of this particular issue. This is a problem that I also have experienced and the best solution I can offer is to simply choose your faction and start a campaign instead of browsing through what is available. If you are interested however, you can always check the Hyrule: Total_War_Wiki to look up faction information.

2: App Already Running - Kingdoms Launcher
    - This is an issue that probably isn't with the mod itself but rather the mess that is the M2TW Kingdoms launcher. It is a inconvenience, but to fix this problem use Windows Task Manager, go to Processes, and then End Process the Launcher.exe.
    - Alternatively, you can try running Hyrule Total War directly from its executable in its mod folder. This will skip using the launcher and run the game directly, bypassing the need to shut down the launcher using Windows Task Manager.

Alright I will try those out, thanks!

I tried those and they still didn't work. I change the settings when I play the game would that have any affect on it? I lower them...

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast