Thread: Siege Engines

Squeaks's Avatar More full of whinging

Default Siege Engines

Just wondered, as we're having this conversation, what would you EXPECT from the Mod where siege engines are concerned? Trebuchets are boring? Would it be disappointing to find no weird stuff, or would it be weird stuff for just some? We have our scribbles and ideas, but i just fancied asking.

Sol_Man's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Siege Engines

I would imagine that the human nations would use more simple siege engines, ones that have been tried and tested for decades or even centuries. In my opinion this would lead to the human nations using more mundane siege weaponry whereas the more supernatural nations would use wierd ones. I would hope that the dwarves would have something like repeating cannons. I am still impressed by the ley artillery for the elves.

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

A ley cannon? That could be interesting, naturally the dwarves should have an impressive array of siege equipment.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Weird stuff for most

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_Man View Post
    I would imagine that the human nations would use more simple siege engines, ones that have been tried and tested for decades or even centuries. In my opinion this would lead to the human nations using more mundane siege weaponry whereas the more supernatural nations would use wierd ones. I would hope that the dwarves would have something like repeating cannons. I am still impressed by the ley artillery for the elves.
    Ah. Well, we're delving into sieges, so these are helpful. What's workable I don't know, as I've never fiddled with siege engines.

It looks vaguely like the big magical stuff (non Ley-arrows or small missiles) will do nothing, whereas the more explosive stuff will damage walls and gates. Void Knights will be able to hurt walls, as will Crones (very effectively), Avatars of the Waters Bound...all those nasty units. Belcher and Golem Gnomes I hope will too, differently.

We may have a Thunderstone dwarven cannon which walks. Haladin MAY have an organic type artillery. For the main, wooden artillery will go, I think (prob Ahsapur, SUn King and the Empire having some of them, possibly just reskinned). Federation may use a metal version of some base artillery. Siege towers we possibly have something new, and I'd love Bandit's Dwarven walking siege tower to work. Rams will have a magical type and a physical type. From there I'm not sure, but it could be quite hard to do that side.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnicleBill1 View Post
    A ley cannon? That could be interesting, naturally the dwarves should have an impressive array of siege equipment.
    I wasn't going to use Ildiri Ley Artillery, as I was saving it, but I suspect it will be needed. Dwarves are a big question mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Stath's View Post
    Weird stuff for most
    That's the conclusion we're coming to I think. Auntie Mak feels very much that it may just be a bit poor to use vanilla siege equipment as is. Mmm.

A giant crossbow (similar to da Vinci's design) that shoots rocks and a regular sized ballista with three bows that has a fast rate of fire.

And maybe some serpent/dragon looking metal "container" on wheels (roughly the size and shape of a ballista) that spews fire? Maybe you already have that.

Not really all that weird but these are all super easy to add so I think it would be worth the little bit of time and effort.
    Last edited by alreadyded; April 15, 2014 at 09:53 PM.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Something big and flashy.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    A giant crossbow (similar to da Vinci's design) that shoots rocks and a regular sized ballista with three bows that has a fast rate of fire.
    I did think of a Ley ballista that fired several 'arrows' at once. Not very good for taking down walls though....

And maybe some serpent/dragon looking metal "container" on wheels (roughly the size and shape of a ballista) that spews fire? Maybe you already have that.
    Got a rattie one...Rabian Firethrower...

Not really all that weird but these are all super easy to add so I think it would be worth the little bit of time and effort.
    It's all good to hear and think about...

Quote Originally Posted by Ciciro View Post
    Something big and flashy.
    Mm. Well a walking Khezdruli Thunderstone Cannon on legs may be good. I want a walking Dwarven siege tower ideally....walks up to the wall and spits it's friend straight out on top. These are all possible. Just wasn't sure to what lengths to go. I suppose any basic wood ones do still need a reskin...and a couple of varieties of reskin too.

It all adds time though Still, more a question of the unknown than difficulty I think...

I have to consider the ratties and mercs too...where to go with them model-wise. That and the citizen levies....

A script that has a chance of damaging the walls depending on a certain trait or ancillary could be used for some creative stuff since you can only add so many engines.