Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firaxis announces Civilization: Beyond Earth for Fall 2014

Default Firaxis announces Civilization: Beyond Earth for Fall 2014

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...-announcement/

So yeah look like a long-awaited successor to Alpha Centauri is on it's way. I liked the remake of Colonization so this might be good.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Firaxis announces Civilization: Beyond Space for Fall 2014

Sounds Interesting, especially the bit about affinities. 2014 is a good year for 4x-Games!

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Excellent news.
    About time they returned to the concept from AC.
    Kinda a shame that you can only play human but I suppose that's what Expansion packs are for.
    Also the title of the game is Beyond Earth, not beyond space
    Last edited by God-Emperor of Mankind; April 12, 2014 at 01:19 PM.

I am really excited for it. I have even already chosen my affinity - purity. Let's terraform those aliens nao!

But seriously, this IGN article said there is going to be eight Earth organizations sponsoring your expedition, and I'm curious to know them!

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Took em long enough to dig Alpha Centari back up.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

This actually seems more appealing to me than civilisation.

Personly I've never played civilisation beyond demo's, I just dont like how its a mad race to the modern age, and in the meanwhile you get historic figures leading modern nations.. that just doesnt work for me.

Indeed cant wait for this
    I think firaxis has been doing an amazing job with this games, loved Civ V ( specialy the expantions, and Brave New world) And the xcom Reboots. They have its faults, but the The studio doesnt let this games unatended after they release, wich is a good thing imo.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; April 12, 2014 at 06:21 PM.

Pielstick's Avatar Domesticus

Loved Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri back in the day, definitely one of the all time great 4x games.

If you want an Alpha Centauri fix right now you have a choice:

i) The original plus the Alien Crossfire expansion pack are on GoG.

ii) Matrix have the similarly themed "Pandora" - check out the reviews first as there are some significant differences between this and SMAC.

iii) There's a very good mod for Civ 4 called Planetfall which is basically SMAC recreated in Civ 4, including all the original factions, tech, units, artwork and sounds.

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Architect of Doom View Post
    I am really excited for it. I have even already chosen my affinity - purity. Let's terraform those aliens nao!

But seriously, this IGN article said there is going to be eight Earth organizations sponsoring your expedition, and I'm curious to know them!
    Well, one has to do with Brazil, another with France, another with the Arab-speaking world, and the US. You see Rio de Janeiro, Paris, New York and Cairo on the trailer.

I'm such a sucker. The moment I saw Cristo Redentor and heard "preparação completa; visto para a decolagem" I was bought.

The fact they use the term "organizations" instead of countries and, still, you get to listen to a Portuguese voice-over when it comes to the supposedly Brazilian Space Program hints at Private organisations of some sort...

I was like "yeah, maybe they'll follow with stuff like the European Union, an Union of the Arabic-speaking states, etc.". But there's a French voice-over on the trailer... that could never represent the EU. A Portuguese-speaking faction could hardly represent a Latin American faction of some sort (MERCOSUL-like). And they talk of "organisations", not states, hence... it couldn't be the Brazilian state/civilization, or French or American, for that matter.

Also, on the PC Gamer interview, the developers refer to "Brazilia, the most militaristic faction". For starters, it's weird to associate Brazil with a militaristic impetus (and there's the precedent in CIV V that shows exactly the opposite, it's one of the most peaceful civilizations in-game); referring to a capital (Brasília) as if it were a faction is weird... let alone when you're talking about colonization in the outer space. And they wrote "Brazilia", not Brasília. It may be a stretch, but I think that may as well be a private organization/company that may probably be supported by the Brazilian civilization/government and goes by the name "Brazilia".

Just my two cents on it.

P.S -

The trailer is gorgeous

Last edited by Vítor Gaspar; April 13, 2014 at 09:04 AM.

Vitor you should take a look at the orginal game Sid meiers alpha centauri.... there is no countries the organizations or factions that exist there are ideologic base, not national based.
    When i mean ideologic, i mean one is spartan ( militaristic), other is faith based, other is technocratic, and other is enviromentalist guided, while other is capitalisti guided etc, and they usualy reflect that in their apearence and design story line, at least in alpha centauri was like that, there were no nations, or anything that sets them apart in relation to earth dynamics at least.
    For them to say there only be 8 factions at start at least, im guessing it will be similar to alpha centauri, wich had 7 originaly.

Brazilia in this context, might as well not be brazil related for instance...

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

Cool. I hope they finally add customizable factions if/when extra terrestrials are playable.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

With futuristic ideologies, I gues theres quite some stuff possible:

-Tech. Could have few actual people and mostly robots doing all the work and fighting. Could have the risk of a robot uprising though. If succesfull you'd have no humans, only robots.
    -Bio-experimental. Unethical crazy scientists experimenting to make super soldiers, biological weapons, alter creatures to suit their needs, grow larger crops and plants, etc.. They could greatly increase their population through cloning.
    -Pacifist/enviromental. Could have powerfull defense techniques, cloaking devices and such to try and avoid combat by not even getting detected by war like species and enemies. Eco friendly technology though thats not harmfull to the enviroment.

Campidoctor

I am waiting patiently for more trailers.

Always love booting up Civilization from time to time, and though I didn't play Alpha Centauri I have spent time with various space-based Civ IV mods. Given how much I enjoyed playing them, a full game from Firaxis should be great.

New Article on the Escapist about Civ:Beyond Earth. Seems the Action will always happen on one planet.

Article and a couple of Screenshots
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Can´t we also get Greek Colonists? Futuristic classical Greek Armor would look so Badass! Also the Colonists could be sponsored by SIEMENS Corporation

Edit: the quality of the Screenshot is not so good, because they were taken with a Camera, I believe.
    Last edited by Akhenaton; April 13, 2014 at 03:26 PM.

The quests/missions thing could be interesting I always felt Civs were a little lite on interesting stuff to do. The Elemental games never really got it right.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaton View Post
    Can´t we also get Greek Colonists? Futuristic classical Greek Armor would look so Badass!
    Only if they are funded by German moniez.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciciro View Post
    Only if they are funded by German moniez.
    my next sentence exactly:

"Also the Colonists could be sponsored by SIEMENS Corporation "

Germany bought Greece for more Lebensraum and kicked them into Space. Now they must find a new home. Project Hellinikon is a secret German colony, it´s all true I tell ya
    Last edited by Akhenaton; April 13, 2014 at 05:53 PM.

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

I hope there are leaders and characters, something Civ 5 was very very weak in. Maybe it will be like Warlock 2 with multiple worlds in a single game.

Humn if they are going the route of alpha Centauri, there will be only one planet... but it might be aliens at some point.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Just saw and advertisement for this. Very nice presentation. Never been a huge fan of Sid Meier games though, not sure why.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast