Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SoundMod: Released!

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: SoundMod: Released!

I could never learn Latin. Far too foreign a language for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    "Aedificare uno castello, diruite ille castro, congiungite ad ille exercitu, exite de naves, qui ille non potest essere fattu mi domine, e questa civitate iam es nostra, me iungere habere vostro magno exercitu magistro, continuare habeo iste via mane senior, illos inemicos de me imperator mori habent, ..."

I've just listened some tracks and .... I'm crying, yes I'm crying because this is one of the best works I've ever seen for PC gaming!

'Perdoname sed non posso senior.'

Si PR perdonami ma non posso., non posso proprio andare avanti questa sera, è tutto troppo bello non ho parole! ... domani magari ... ... no words, no words it's astonishing, a masterpiece what can I say more? It's too great for me, I cannot make a review of something so great! Tomorrow maybe, now .... let me cry now, please domine!
    Very flattering, my friend, Your words are very kind. Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying them. I'll be waiting for your review.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Tullius Tiro View Post
    I could never learn Latin. Far too foreign a language for me.
    . What is your native language?

Art by Joar

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Actually even copying and pasting didn't work for my chrome version...dunno why, anyway, what I ended up doing is highlighting it and then right clicking and saying 'go to' the link.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

First, a confession: I could write a comment about this work of Pseudo Romanus some time ago but .. I preferred to wait, in fact I had my reasons, which were mainly two:

1- I had already addressed the issue about Latin in Late Antiquity in an 'infamous thread', where I filled up an amazing number of pages with my ramblings about Latin, Vulgar Latin, National Vulgar Languages and the glorious Romance Languages; the topic attracted a large amount of comments, the great part of whom, was a mix of indifference and open hostility, not to say a radical rejection; on that occasion, however, I also found a friend named Pseudo Romanus, and this alone compensates all my efforts.
    2- I was waiting. I was waiting to see if any of those who had received with a so deep hostility my thesis about Latin, based on the simple factual reality that the Romance Languages ​​are nothing else than the spoken Latin of the XXI century, expressed their erudite views about this work by Pseudo romanus, so strictly linked that old thread. My wait was vain.

So, I can finally write what I think about this titanic task of Pseudo Romanus, not before having expressed my surprise about the low number of comments on this thread about this wonderful work; yes, because here, there is a large number of people interested in Late Roman Antiquity, interested in what happened between the III and V century, which caused the Fall of the Western Roman Empire; A part Attila Total War, there is a great interest about Late Roman archaeology, about the Late Roman Army, about the way the Late Romans were dressed, even in the smallest details, such as buckles, shoes, small bags, hats and so on, all these details are observed and studied with great passion and true love, considerable sums are spent to buy Late Roman tunics reproduced in some wonderful workshop in all their beauty. That is, on the basis of 'hypothesis', we are desperately trying to 'rebuild', even in its smallest details, the appearance of a world whose very essence perhaps still eludes us; is therefore rather surprising for me, or better, absolutely shocking, the fact that exactly the part of that world that is still alive and palpitating, almost a fascinating form of living archaeology, it's not at the center of the common interests, it is indeed avoided with great care and with some annoyance; you may have guessed, dear friends, I'm talking of the Language of the Romans, the Latin Language, and its evolution, which began precisely in that period of change, which would have led to the birth of Medieval Europe. I don't want to advance further on this terrain, because I don't want being polemical, here, but believe me please, my melancholy is great.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

At this point I have to explain why. Yes, I have to explain why I wrote pages and pages about this whole subject, why I find the work of Pseudo Romanus extremely interesting and why I am here again writing a new long rant:

-I consider the history of the evolution of the Latin Language absolutely essential to understanding the phenomena that led to the end of the Ancient World and the Birth of Europe as we know it today, we cannot understand anything about what happened if we avoid to consider the evolution of the Latin Language between the III and VII-VIII century.
    -Pseudo Romanus offers for free to this community a unique utility, Pseudo Romanus gives us the keys to get into the tumultuous world of the Late Empire, restoring the voice of the heroes of Catalaunian Fields! He did everything, not writing a tedious and ponderous text on the subject, he has chosen the innovative tool of the gaming experience, he has chosen to modify the sounds of the beautiful Mod of julianus heraclius to offer us a new precious tool, to understand one of the most complex and fascinating aspects of the Civilization and History of Rome.
    -Friendship. Yes friendship is the name, because while, in that infamous thread, I was trying to explain the close relationship between Romance Languages ​​and Latin, while I was trying to articulate the self-evident fact that the Romance Languages ​​are actually the Spoken-Latin of the XXI century AD, I was alone.
    I admit that the intellectual solitude does not frighten me, indeed I consider it as an acceptable and even desirable condition, but being alone in such an important debate, on a matter fundamental to the understanding of the Roman world and the understanding of our civilization's history, it was really depressing and a bad experience; well, just in then, it appeared Pseudo Romanusa nd with the kindness and clarity characterizing his person and hiswriting style, he helped me to clarify the concept that my bad English was not able to express. So a friend, one of the true ones, so I can easily state that my personal respect and my friendship for him will never cease.

Having always loved the history of Rome, of course I've always also loved the history of Rome's victories, especially those latest victories, which took place during Late Antiquity, when all seemed lost and it was difficult even finding good reasons to fight on. So, I love the characters as Flavius ​​Stilicho, or the Magister Militum Flavius​​ Aetius and I love the memory of Catalaunian Field and those last tragic victories, but these victories were short lived, maybe they slowed down the course of the events, but they didn't change the final outcome.
    There is, however, a victory that was not ephemeral, a total victory, one of those victories remaining carved through the centuries, a victory so shining and so definitive that nearly wiped out forever even the memory of the defeated, but strangely, little is known about it. Do you wish to know the General who won the last battle of Rome? Do you want to know using what weapons this victory was achieved? Do you want to know where this victorious battle was fought? And when it happened? Follow me!

It will be a very short trip through time, in fact occasionally SBH, a man of great talent, great intellect and immense generosity, is so nice with me to let me use his personal time-machine, so, my friends, wear your reenacting gear, your belts, your tunics, sandals, Pannonian hats, coats, take your arms and armor and jump on board with me! don't worry, it'll be very short.

" Done! Now, you can get off the ground, thank you.
    Where we are, you ask me? Well, I don't know exactly, in Gaul for sure, just North West of the Loire at the end of V century, Rome has fallen, of course.
    Don't worry about the weather, unfortunately the machine is not able to choose the seasons and now we are in the middle of October in the Year of our Lord 480 and it's raining; so, let's move quickly without attracting too much the attention of the few living beings we could met on our road; don't let the agricultural landscape deceive you, with all those rather dense woodlands, soon we'll find a settlement; beware of the mud when we reach the trail, the roads are unfortunately no longer maintained as in the time of Hadrian!
    Here, look! through the mist, right in front of you, you can see the smoke, that's where we are going.
    Well, do you see those three huts in the ocean of ​​mud near the woods? Drawing Closer! Don't worry, being the mid of the morning, all men are at work in the fields and in the woods of some Frank minor lord, perhaps miles away from home, if they come home, they will do so, late in the evening.
    Try to smile and don't care about those filthy and smelly kids, playing in the mud and running towards you, they are just little kids; let us draw near the larger hovel, be careful where you put your beautiful new reenactor's shoes! there is mud and dirt everywhere! Let's go! ... and please, don't talk! Your language is too Germanic for this poor people, we don't want to scare them! Don't we?
    Now that we are inside, we have just to listen, we are here just for this, remember guys!
    The penumbra is lit only by the poor lighting of a hearth in the back of the hut, everything else is enveloped in darkness, but there is really little to see, the house is very poor, some agricultural tool, a few sacks of grain almost empty and few miserable rags here and there, nothing, really nothing interesting; but it's better to move now, slowly forward, without looking aggressive, try to smile, we are asking just for a shelter from rain; yes, I know, the smell is almost unbearable! Try to remember that these people haven't even the slightest knowledge of hygiene, remember guys, we are in V century, in a hut of poor Gallo Roman peasants, so, shut up and go on!
    Look, there's a woman!
    She was scared but soon realizes that we don't want to harm her, maybe she believed that we were a few stragglers fleeing some damn war, now she's looking calmer and offers us a pitcher of beer, I suppose; if I were you boys, I would not drink more than a sip, who knows what actually is this drink!
    Here, look! Now she has calmed down and resumes what she was doing before we came along; do you see? She breastfeeds! She breastfeeds her baby, shut up and listen! ..
    Do you ask me why I have brought you here? Do you ask me what we're doing here in this dirty hut? But, haven't you yet understood? Haven't you yet figured it out the truth? You have just met the General who won the last battle of Rome!
    He is precisely this poor beggar in front of you, this poor Gallo-Roman woman, so dirty and in rags that you hardly distinguish the color of her hair and skin! Yes my dear friends, she's the last 'Victorious General' of Rome!
    She has destroyed hundreds of thousands of Germanic warriors along with their warlike civilization!
    Do you wonder how she did it? But, haven't you read Peter Heather? Don't you know that they were the women who taught the language to their children, while men were taking care of work and war?
    She, or rather, she and thousands of women like her, who didn't know reading or writing a single Latin word, who didn't know the name of Cicero, Horace and Sallust, who knew only the sounds of the words describing the miserable material world in which they lived , she and them, they have destroyed the enemy, here in Gaul! So much so, the proud warriors from the other side of the Rhine, one day will have to humbly learn her language, the language of the poor peasants, the language of the 'Vulgus', forgetting their own! In this miserable hovel, in this miserable ocean of ​​muck and mud, with an army of miserable beggars, Rome has won his last battle! The final fight to survive!
    Now seek the flowers adorning the laurel of victory, and the weapons which got this victory in the name of Rome, let us look for flowers in this midden: hush! Listen, please!

'Amor meo bello, charo amor de 'la mama, manduga meo tresor, qui de 'lo coelo 'le Senior te protege, filio meo charo!'
    [My dear beautiful love, dear love of the mom, eat
    my treasure, may Lord protect you from the sky, my dear son]

Have you heard? These words are the flowers adorning the laurel of Victory, gentlemen!
    Those poor and ancient Latin words are the weapons in the last Victory Trophy of Rome, these poor syllables, slurred in a language you all recognize as Roman, are the deadly arrows that this poor illiterate woman, and thousands others like her, are launching right into the future!
    The words that will pass through time and will adorn the pages of Moliere andPascal, Guy de Montpassant and Balzac, Hugo, and Camus, Cervantes and Garcia Lorca, Luís de Camões and Fernando Pessoa, Dante Alighieri and Petrarca, the words of Boccaccio and Manzoni. Not yet written words, they are just sounds, ancient sounds, coming from a distant land, lost somewhere there, in the South. Sounds and words slowly mixing with the pre-Roman ethnic substrate, of the regions of an Empire so vast that it had forgotten its very origins. Sounds having so deep and ancient roots, that now they cannot be torn away anymore, they have become part of the things of life, they are the life!
    Nobody could prevent this woman to look up and see the 'Coelus', no one could erase from her lips the word 'Amor', 'Filius', 'Panis', 'Vita'.
    Rome won this last battle! Rome won it once for all and forever!
    These are not the noble words of Lucretius andVirgil, they are the sounds of the everyday life of this army of poor beggar. Bow down then, dear friends, in front of this woman, this ragged Victorious General of Rome, she won the most important battle that Rome has ever fought, the battle to survive! She is the real 'Alma Mater' of the Roman Civilization! "

What can I say more? Very little. In fact, my knowledge is limited, I can only tell you that Pseudo Romanus provides us with a majestic journey through time, he makes us rediscover the sounds of a language still alive and constantly changing, Pseudo Romanus takes for us a picture of it, in a precise moment of its fascinating history, just before it regionalised, being forever fixed on the written page, becoming the Corpus of Romance Philology.
    So, through the lens of the Mod, we are witnessing the slow and complex transition from the Latin language, concise and organized in long subordinate clauses, almost like a bunch of grapes, to the Spoken Latin, the Vulgar Latin, which eliminated the endings and cases, uses the pronouns , the adverbs, and the prepositions such as articles, to replace the cases, and by doing so, it creates a new morphology and a new syntax, so now we have no more: 'hominis' but 'de ille homo', then the Italian 'dell'uomo', the Spanish 'del hombre ', the French 'de l'homme' to indicate the Genitive case of the word 'Homo, hominis' (= man).Together with the linguistic structures, they are also changing the meanings of certain words, such as 'senior', Italian 'signore', French 'seigneur', Spanish 'señor', tends to substitute the meaning of the Latin 'dominus', but how many other examples I could add? Too many, for this space and for my skills, unfortunately I don't have the preparation of PR, so I cannot do a review of his work that can serve an audience of academics, I can only state that I am enthusiastic and amused by his work, by its monumental vastness and complexity, by its creative courage, by the patience and deep preparation in linguistic matters necessary to do what Pseudo Romanus did.

So, although I fear that the adventure of PR won't have a huge public/popular success and his struggle to rediscover and to offer us 'The Missing Ring', actually will be a 'battle against the windmills', being not able to help him in other ways, I declare him my utter loyalty, and humbly, I ask him if I may have the honor of riding at his side, in the role of his loyal 'Sancho', faithful beyond any hesitation, beyond any doubt and against any luck.
    Critics? None! Just two dreams:

1- More regional accents: I like very much the Spanish accent, as I do love any Romance accent, but being an old Italian gentleman, I would like to listen, sometime in a far future, the awesome sounds of our precious, elegant, sweet and rounded 'c' and 'g', they are like a sculpture of Giovanni Pisano, they are the 'fatherland' in all her beauty. Even some French-Gallic sound, would be very interesting, being Gaul an important theater during the time frame of the mod.

2- It would be cool polishing the sound, it could be done using a good program for editing the audio files, there are many of them also for free, sadly being Sancho, I don't know how to use them but, from what I've seen, they shouldn't be very hard to use, is it necessary this polishing work? Yes it is! It's necessary because this mod is great, too great to show any kind of imperfection.

On the lack of comments on the speeches, I have to admit itwas a little shocking to me as well. I remember the interest people had onadding speeches in Latin. Now that it has been made, apparently nobody isinterested any more . Well, I guess we should remember that when talking aboutLatin, most people picture the literary version of it, the one we know asclassical Latin. So, from that angle it is understandable that speeches in the Vulgardialect fails to generate a great appeal .
    I enjoyed reading your approach to the transcendence of thelanguage. Very creative, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post

Critics? None! Just two dreams:

1- More regional accents: I like very much the Spanish accent, as I do love any Romance accent, but being an old Italian gentleman, I would like to listen, sometime in a far future, the awesome sounds of our precious, elegant, sweet and rounded 'c' and 'g', they are like a sculpture of Giovanni Pisano, they are the 'fatherland' in all her beauty. Even some French-Gallic sound, would be very interesting, being Gaul an important theater during the time frame of the mod.

2- It would be cool polishing the sound, it could be done using a good program for editing the audio files, there are many of them also for free, sadly being Sancho, I don't know how to use them but, from what I've seen, they shouldn't be very hard to use, is it necessary this polishing work? Yes it is! It's necessary because this mod is great, too great to show any kind of imperfection.
    1. Oh, my friend! That was my dream, too! I had so manyplans on dialectal variations, so that a wider and more accurate representationof the phonetic differences of Vulgar Latin, depending on geographicallocations, could be depicted. I even got me the help of a fellow countryman ofyours who was going to give some ‘italic’ flavor to some recordings. However, Imet with an impassable obstacle: the limitations imposed by the game engine. Unfortunately,you can’t assign different accents based on regions, only on cultures in RTW,at least that’s my understanding. So I chose to remove any regional pronunciationto the speeches in order to keep a more ‘standard’ pronunciation (although ‘standard’is a very artificial thing and hardly existed). You’ll see, I had to sacrificereality to certain extent to be able to incorporate the speeches in the game.Basically, I was constrained to use only the classical sounds (as we know themat the present) when giving the speeches. That’s why you won’t find the softsounds of the letters ‘G’ or ‘C’ of any regional variations, let alone those ofmodern Spanish. The sounds used are those common to every Romance language,perhaps being the only exception the Latin sound of ‘R’ which doesn’t exist inFrench or Portuguese any more. I guess the Spanish flavor you perceive is dueto the classical sounds which Spanish, by being a very conservative dialect ofLatin, has always maintained during its evolution.
    2. That sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, I don’tthink it’ll happen. Not at least as long as my RL schedule continues to be ashectic as it has been.

Art by Joar

Quote Originally Posted by PSEUDO ROMANUS
    I enjoyed reading your approach to the transcendence of the language.
    Thanks for your nice words PR.

Just a small precisation: actually I don't see any 'transcendence' in the language (I admit, I have a big and old personal issue with the concept of 'transcendence', it's probably one of my tragic limits: I'm not able to 'feel' any form of 'transcendence' in the world around me), I see the language simply as one of the many features of any human civilization, a pretty important one, as clearly explained W. Churchill at Harvard University in 1943:

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/lear...e-of-greatness

The Price of Greatness:

"The great Bismarck - for there were once great men in Germany - is said to have observed towards the close of his life that the most potent factor in human society at the end of the nineteenth century was the fact that the British and American peoples spoke the same language.That was a pregnant saying. Certainly it has enabled us to wage war together with an intimacy and harmony never before achieved among allies.

This gift of a common tongue is a priceless inheritance, and it may well some day become the foundation of a common citizenship. I like to think of British and Americans moving about freely over each other's wide estates with hardly a sense of being foreigners to one another. But I do not see why we should not try to spread our common language even more widely throughout the globe and, without seeking selfish advantage over any, possess ourselves of this invaluable amenity and birthright.

Some months ago I persuaded the British Cabinet to set up a committee of Ministers to study and report upon Basic English. Here you have a plan. There are others, but here you have a very carefully wrought plan for an international language capable of a very wide transaction of practical business and interchange of ideas. The whole of it is comprised in about 650 nouns and 200 verbs or other parts of speech - no more indeed than can be written on one side of a single sheet of paper.

What was my delight when, the other evening, quite unexpectedly, I heard the President of the United States suddenly speak of the merits of Basic English, and is it not a coincidence that, with all this in mind, I should arrive at Harvard, in fulfilment of the long-dated invitations to receive this degree, with which president Conant has honoured me? For Harvard has done more than any other American university to promote the extension of Basic English. The first work on Basic English was written by two Englishmen, Ivor Richards, now of Harvard, and C.K. Ogden, of Cambridge University, England, working in association.

The Harvard Commission on English Language Studies is distinguished both for its research and its practical work, particularly in introducing the use of Basic English in Latin America; and this Commission, your Commission, is now, I am told, working with secondary schools in Boston on the use of Basic English in teaching the main language to American children and in teaching it to foreigners preparing for citizenship.

Gentlemen, I make you my compliments. I do not wish to exaggerate, but you are the head-stream of what might well be a mighty fertilising and health-giving river. It would certainly be a grand convenience for us all to be able to move freely about the world - as we shall be able to do more freely than ever before as the science of the world develops - be able to move freely about the world, and be able to find everywhere a medium, albeit primitive, of intercourse and understanding. Might it not also be an advantage to many races, and an aid to the building-up of our new structure for preserving peace?

All these are great possibilities, and I say: "Let us go into this together. Let us have another Boston Tea Party about it."
    Let us go forward as with other matters and other measures similar in aim and effect - let us go forward in malice to none and good will to all.

Such plans offer far better prizes than taking away other people's provinces or lands or grinding them down in exploitation. The empires of the future are the empires of the mind."

Winston Churchill,
    Monday 6 September 1943,
    Harvard University.

Do you see, PR?
    Smart the man! Wasn't he? Clearly this speech is not metaphysics, this is called Cultural Imperialism, here in one of its purest forms, in it there isn't any transcendency, in it there is just a very materialistic and intelligent political intent. So, following Winston Churchill, also I consider the language a very powerful tool, a fundamental weapon in any tragic clash of civilizations.

Don't worry, this empire of the mind junk has cropped up before in human history. It will always devolve to good hard conquest and mass slaughter.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Thank you for this Soundmod IB team and whoever helped. Youve made playing IB delight! (more than before).

Can anyone reload the Soundmod? The Link is down!

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice1987 View Post
    Try and send a pm to PSEUDO ROMANUS, he's online from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice1987 View Post
    Hi. I just checked the link out, and it is working for me. Just make sure you follow the instructions and you shouldn't have any complications.

Art by Joar

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

This is odd. The link is dead for me too. It says "invalid or deleted file" and the usual message when a file is no longer on mediafire.

I also get the deleted file message.

- Download -

http://www.mediafire.com/download/av8ddklkzshpxvq/IB+soundmod.rar

For some reason, clicking on the link won’t work. Just copy the link and paste it on your browser. That will work.
    If you follow the instructions, it should work. If not, let me know

Art by Joar

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

It worked. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

It still intrigue me a bit. Something must be wrong with the link. I know from page 3 you tried to correct this problem so I am sorry if I annoy you. Maybe the problem is that you copy the link when you were connected. When we click on the link it send us to a different page than the one working. You can see it if you click on the link when disconnect. In this case the url is http://www.mediafire.com/download/o5...B+soundmod.rar I don't know why it happens but it must be the cause of the problem.

Edit : I almost forgot the most important. This is a fantastic work. I played a bit with it this afternoon. Far too little time to get a decent impression but I loved the music I heard. I played a defensive siege as Constantius II against a Quadi horde. It was captivating, mysterious and a bit threatening. It had a lot of feeling while the writing was fairly simple. Exactly the kind of music I love. Nothing over the top yet a powerful music.
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; February 25, 2015 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PSEUDO ROMANUS View Post
    If you follow the instructions, it should work. If not, let me know
    Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    It still intrigue me a bit. Something must be wrong with the link. I know from page 3 you tried to correct this problem so I am sorry if I annoy you. Maybe the problem is that you copy the link when you were connected. When we click on the link it send us to a different page than the one working. You can see it if you click on the link when disconnect. In this case the url is http://www.mediafire.com/download/o5...B+soundmod.rar I don't know why it happens but it must be the cause of the problem.
    Yes, you're right, there was something wrong with the link. I've fixed it now.

No need to apologize guys .
    Glad you're enjoying it, Anna_Gein

Art by Joar

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by PSEUDO ROMANUS View Post

. What is your native language?
    I know it is about 5 months late for me to be answering this, but it is English.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciciro View Post
    I know it is about 5 months late for me to be answering this, but it is English.
    Being a lazy creature, I love the timing on the Net!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I recently finished a full SAI campaign with Rome and am now playing as the WRE in IBDF. Is this submod compatible with IBDF? I'm probably not going to play SAI again for quite a while.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast