Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: USA's supreme court lifts campaign funding limits

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default USA's supreme court lifts campaign funding limits

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A3116V20140402

I find this development bad for USA's democracy and a step towards Oligarchy.

Campaign funding limits meant that politicians should cater to the voters not only for the vote but for funding the campaigns, which gave more power to the voters.
    Now, a politician can cater to fewer and wealthier individuals and get most of their funds from them. Lobbies now hold another carrot/stick: "Promise to do that else we will stop sending you the 1 million $/week that we've been giving you for 6 weeks" etc.

While it's not that democracy will collapse overnight because of this, it's IMO a step towards the WRONG direction. Money had too much influence already.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Default Re: USA's supreme court lifts campaign funding limits

This along with Citizen's United makes me doubt the current USA Supreme Court. I just don't see how money is speech. I don't get how blind these justices are to how money can influence and corrupt elections.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

The judges aren't blind to the effects. They're just corrupt themselves.
    Once a political decision has been reached to proceed with internal disturbances in Syria, CIA is prepared, and SIS (MI6) will attempt to mount minor sabotage and coup de main [sic] incidents within Syria, working through contacts with individuals. Incidents should not be concentrated in Damascus. [A] necessary degree of fear, [...] frontier incidents and [staged] border clashes [will] provide a pretext for intervention. The CIA and SIS should use [...] capabilities in both psychological and action fields to augment tension. [Funding should be provided for a] Free Syria Committee [and arms should be supplied to] political factions with paramilitary or other actionist capabilities.
    ~ Joint US-UK leaked Intelligence Document, 1957

Euphoric's Avatar Semisalis

Thanks for making us an aristocracy, SCOTUS. I hate to say it, but my revolutionary friends and sounding more and more sane these days.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Nietzsche

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

It's already an oligarchy due to extreme level of wealth inequality.

It's blue, just like Russia and China:

Didn't go far enough, but it was the right decision. The Constitution doesn't give the federal government power to limit campaign contributions. And yes. . .my libertarian friends are going berserk over this decision. Near as I can tell, their argument is somewhere on the lines of, "We need more government so that we can have less government."
    Son of PW

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    It's already an oligarchy due to extreme level of wealth inequality.

It's blue, just like Russia and China:
    Agreed. It's been an oligarchy since the 80s.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Oh no! Increased advertising budgets, how will democracy survive in the wake of such tragedy?
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    Oh no! Increased advertising budgets, how will democracy survive in the wake of such tragedy?
    It won't. Just what we need. Involving more money with politics.

I believe Supreme Court have been applying a very strict definition of freedom with their decision on Citizens United and McCutcheon. By definition these decisions defy democracy which is normally fine. We defy democracy because of checks and balances or when it's for the common good every day. Democracy is not something that is 100% progressive. It can go either way and it did in history and still does. In my opinion, limiting or even eliminating private funding of political campaigns would be a move for the common good as money does determine who wins and who loses. There are two questions we need to ask: Do elections need to be fair? Does considerable difference in amount of money a campaign possesses automatically make an election unfair? Yes to both. Why? Because money is not a skill a candidate can use while in office tied to the job. That said, the system have been corrupt regardless of these decisions. It just makes it easier for corruption to remain in power. Keep in mind though, the same Supreme Court upheld prohibitions on foreign contribution to political campaigns.

I got one question though; if it's freedom to contribute whatever you wish to a political campaign why is it not freedom to have a rule (which limits political campaign contributions) that is created or upheld by elected individuals?
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; April 11, 2014 at 11:39 PM.
    The Armenian Issue

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Advertising budgets are the life-blood of a campaign. You get more money, you increase your chances to get elected. Not because your program is better, but because you use funds to be heard by more people.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Euphoric's Avatar Semisalis

Naiveté. Do you think a candidate with a million campaign dollars at his disposal could ever overcome a candidate with a billion campaign dollars at his disposal? Elections today are bought, not won.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Nietzsche

Campaign funds.. why I wonder what the conditions to retrieve some are. Money, a necessity to a relevant power position? People don't just give away for free you know.

Because if I 'donate' $100 million for your little run as president, I own you. I own you because you couldn't make it there without me. So why does everyone parade around like it matters?

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    I got one question though; if it's freedom to contribute whatever you wish to a political campaign why is it not freedom to have a rule (which limits political campaign contributions) that is created or upheld by elected individuals?
    Essentially, you're asking why isn't it freedom to limit freedom? Seriously?
    Son of PW

flota's Avatar Tiro

Doesn't most "democratic" countries had this rule applied long ago?
    Imposible is Nothing.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I View Post
    Essentially, you're asking why isn't it freedom to limit freedom? Seriously?
    More accurately I'm asking why is it not freedom to limit freedom one way but it is freedom to limit freedom an other way.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I View Post
    Didn't go far enough, but it was the right decision. The Constitution doesn't give the federal government power to limit campaign contributions. And yes. . .my libertarian friends are going berserk over this decision. Near as I can tell, their argument is somewhere on the lines of, "We need more government so that we can have less government."
    You mean like having the government outlaw slavery? How dare they limit our freedom to own slaves!
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

Are you me? I wasn't even aware this sort of thing was being passed and I pay a good amount of attention to current events. This is going to lead to companies having even more control of our country instead of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZanyGaming View Post
    Are you me? I wasn't even aware this sort of thing was being passed and I pay a good amount of attention to current events. This is going to lead to companies having even more control of our country instead of the people.
    I don't recall a time when this country was ever controlled by the "people".

Praefectus

If you believe in capitalism, then capitalists can and should be able to donate however much they want to whomever they want. As long as there is a register and you cannot donate anonymously, everyone knows who has donated.

If you are against capitalism, well, that's a different argument altogether.
    My bookshelf is a hate blog.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast