Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the hotseat campaign work for Westeros 1.0?

Icon5 Will the hotseat campaign work for Westeros 1.0?

I have been playing TATW hotseat for quite some time, and there is always that one bug that ruins the whole game. You know the one, the campaign script to grant autonomy to the shire, where every factions gets a message, until you find yourself with dozens of messages.

Will Westeros Total war have campaign scripts that will work with the Hotseat, will it be playable?
    In other words, will a hotseat campaign the bug-free?

Example of campaign scripts done wrong:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...lti-player-Bug

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Will the hotseat campaign work for Westeros 1.0?

Should be

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

You do have to also take in to account that SP HSs arent exactly the main focus of either M2TW or its respective mods.
    If you have serious concerns about scripts which make the mod less vanilla, then either remove it completely or edit it so that it is not a problem.

also, this should be in the questions thread

Bryce Caron's Avatar Ordinarius

It's certainly been considered, and it should work but 1.0 isn't being developed with its main focus of Hot-Seating..

It's not that it makes the game less "vanilla", but unplayable.
    For example, the script is set to trigger if the LocalFaction owns the a location, but the game doesn't distinguish between different LocalFaction players. So if one owns the said location, everyone gets the event triggered, but can't also select the option.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerold Dayne View Post
    It's certainly been considered, and it should work but 1.0 isn't being developed with its main focus of Hot-Seating..
    I've played several sub-mods for Westeros, and I didn't encounter any issues with the scripts, even the triggered ones. If they don't go overboard with unnecessary scripts, or use too many faction and region dependent scripts (like, let's say you must own King's Landing in order to trigger an event, with a question that leads to another script, ala Shire autonomy script).

Kilic or Hanni is probably more inclined to weigh in on this, but yes, there will be more scripts than any submod to date. That's not to say they are unnecessary or that they will ruin hotseats. But keep in mind, 1.0 was started with the vision of single player campaigns to be the main focus not hotseats..

OK, thanks for the replies. Obviously I'm going to play each faction in single player, then make a grand single player "historical" hotseat, ^^'.

While the main focus is not Hotseats Dayne, the majority of us continue to play Westeros in Hotseats far more so than SP.
    As such i highly doubt there wont be any Hotseats. I've seen the scripts myself and while they are nice, worse case is we disable them for Hotseats if they cause serious problems.

Kiliç Alì's Avatar Domesticus
    Artifex

Just a quick thingy about current scripts; while dong them my purpose is to make them HS compatible, and to automatically disable something if the game is HS; more in detail:

- there are a couple of characters who, on some conditions, can switch faction, also depending on the action of the player; theese are built to work in HS
    - there is the lordship-recruitment thing; this is supposed to be working in HS but has never been extensively tested, even in singleplayer; it can be turn off at game beginning tought via y/n event so no problem here
    - Crown claims and victory condition scripts were written with HS in mind, so they should work in HS also.
    - Army spawn have some faction to be AI in the conditions so are HS compatibile

So yeah, the main purpose is to make the game enjoyable via HS mainly, also becouse AI doesn't really offer a challenge unless it can cheat heavvyly à la TATW.
    Last edited by Kiliç Alì; April 11, 2014 at 07:29 PM.

Member of the Imperial House of Hader, proud client of The only and sole Ferrit

OK, thank you all for the responses. I can't wait to play this wonderful mod.
    Also...
    Winter is coming.

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliç Alì View Post
    - there is the lordship-recruitment thing; this is supposed to be working in HS but has never been extensively tested, even in singleplayer; it can be turn off at game beginning tought via y/n event so no problem here.
    Y/N scripts (and historic event popups in general) do not work in HSs unless it is the same player who opens up the turn before an the turn of the popup, as when he saves the turn, the popup closes, but doesn't reappear.
    Have not looked for a workaround yet.

OK< breakthrough, found it.
    The bug is because too many factions were selected for each event. For example, for script a, faction A needs region AA, and for script b, faction B needs region BB. Now, the script, the G5 autonomous regions script mod, a wall of text in the campaign_script file, had script a, region AA, with both factions A and B selected. The same for script b, faction A and B for region AA and BB.

In other words any faction, be it good or evil could give autonomy to Fangorn and the Shire, which in turn triggered a message for all factions. The only way to solve this is to make the Shire an independent region only for Eriador, and Fangorn for let's say the Silvan Elves.
    What does this mean for Westeros total war?

Well, for example, the lordship script, each faction must have this dependent on a certain region. Let's say for example that you are playing as the Starks, and you want to call your banners, or lordships, or whatever, then the Starks will need Winterfell, and can only do it if they have Winterfell. They can't recruit Riverland lords, even if they have the capital of the Tully's, and if they lose Winterfell, then they can't recruit nobles at all.

Stannis can have Dragonstone, Joffrey King's Landing, Renly Storm's end, etc.

- there is the lordship-recruitment thing; this is supposed to be working in HS but has never been extensively tested, even in singleplayer; it can be turn off at game beginning tought via y/n event so no problem here.
    I may be mistaken, but this might actually work.

This is how a part of the script for the Shire looks:

;;;;;;; kill autonomy
    if I_EventCounter Shire_kill_autonomy = 1

historic_event protection_fail
    set_event_counter Shire_autonomy 0
    set_event_counter hobbit_tribute 0
    set_event_counter hobbit_bonus_2 0
    set_event_counter Shire_edb 0
    set_event_counter hobbit_riot 0
    set_event_counter smials_riot 0
    filter_settlement_commands on Shire
    filter_settlement_commands on Bywater
    filter_settlement_commands on Southfarthing

if I_LocalFaction byzantium
    destroy_units byzantium autonomy_2
    end_if
    if I_LocalFaction egypt
    destroy_units egypt autonomy_2
    end_if
    if I_LocalFaction england
    destroy_units england autonomy_2
    end_if
    if I_LocalFaction france
    destroy_units france autonomy_2
    end_if
    if I_LocalFaction hre
    destroy_units hre autonomy_2
    end_if
    if I_LocalFaction milan
    destroy_units milan autonomy_2
    end_if
    if I_LocalFaction mongols
    destroy_units mongols autonomy_2
    end_if
    if I_LocalFaction moors
    destroy_units moors autonomy_2
    end_if
    if I_LocalFaction portugal
    destroy_units portugal autonomy_2
    end_if
    if I_LocalFaction scotland
    destroy_units scotland autonomy_2
    end_if
    if I_LocalFaction sicily
    destroy_units sicily autonomy_2
    end_if
    if I_LocalFaction spain
    destroy_units spain autonomy_2
    end_if
    if I_LocalFaction turks (Eriador)
    destroy_units turks autonomy_2

end_if
    if I_LocalFaction venice
    destroy_units venice autonomy_2
    end_if
    set_event_counter Shire_kill_autonomy 0
    end_if
    For a bug free experience in the Hotseat, it should look like this:

;;;;;;; kill autonomy
    if I_EventCounter Shire_kill_autonomy = 1

historic_event protection_fail
    set_event_counter Shire_autonomy 0
    set_event_counter hobbit_tribute 0
    set_event_counter hobbit_bonus_2 0
    set_event_counter Shire_edb 0
    set_event_counter hobbit_riot 0
    set_event_counter smials_riot 0
    filter_settlement_commands on Shire
    filter_settlement_commands on Bywater
    filter_settlement_commands on Southfarthing

if I_LocalFaction turks
    destroy_units turks autonomy_2
    end_if
    set_event_counter Shire_kill_autonomy 0
    end_if

I know this post seems convoluted, but I hope it helps you guys and gals.

There is also a bug with the winter summer seasons, but since Westeros seasons themselves are long, it won't matter.
    For TATW, the sequence is summer>summer>summer>winter>repeat. Instead of the seasons changing with turns, it actually changes with factions, such as faction a summer, faction b summer, faction c summer, faction d winter, faction e summer, etc. This bug can be annoying, not to mention the strat map texture bugs involved.
    The only way to fix this is to edit the code every time you start a hotseat, depending on the numder of factions. For example I play with 9 factions so the sequence has to be 27*summer, 9*winter, repeat. If 3 factions are being played, then 9*summer, 3* winter.

So in the case of Westeros, for the code to work as intended, random number between 10 and 25 years, it would have to be edited accordingly for each hotseat version, depending on the number of factions. One possible solution is to edit a certain number of campaign_script files, a pain in the ass. The other solution, the preferable one, is to do nothing, since to the player this bug has no effect on gameplay.

Aging doesn't seem to be affected. Is it because characters age once the rebel factions turn ends? Anyway, this is all the information I could gather.

I really hope the developers read this, and if they deem it important, try to put this info to good use.

WARNING!

I was wrong. The seasons fix works, but the fix for the autonomy script doesn't. I am sorry for wasting your time.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

It actually works, but I'm big dumdum.

;################## G5 Autonomous Regions mod v1.3 ###################

declare_counter roads_tribute_launch
    declare_counter hobbit_tribute_launch
    ;;;;;;;General
    monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
    and FactionReligion catholic

set_event_counter local_evil 1
    terminate_monitor ;disable this line to enable hotseat functionality
    end_monitor

Kiliç Alì's Avatar Domesticus
    Artifex

Y/N scripts (and historic event popups in general) do not work in HSs unless it is the same player who opens up the turn before an the turn of the popup, as when he saves the turn, the popup closes, but doesn't reappear.
    Hmm this is a problem.. I was testing on the same PC of course so didn't save each time, but you're indeed right... I assume Y\N are rejected by default, wich means that the title thingy and some character switching are not working properly in HS...

Also the renly\stannis union isn't working (was supposed to work only when one of them was AI tought).

An eventual fix for all this could be to set some counter and fire the events again on a different moment than TurnStart... like on end-turn button pressed... will have to look into this.

Thanks for coming up with this problem
    - K'

Member of the Imperial House of Hader, proud client of The only and sole Ferrit

As always, you have to ask yourself, what is the point of the game? To follow the story of the books as closely as possible, or to let you write your own history? The latter attitude will make a HS game much easier.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

while renly/stannis script isnt necessary for HS, but it makes sense in the campaign. we try to keep lore in focus, not purely sandbox it.

Lore should be the main focus. Those who wish to hotseat can easily learn to mod, remove/fix scripts, and do what they will to make the game more catered to their play styles. That being said, it makes little use arguing now with plenty of work still left to be done.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Stannis the Mannis View Post
    Have not looked for a workaround yet.
    What about something simple not involving scripting... have the admin play through all of the first turns, asking players what they wan't their passes to be and their answers to the Y/N events, but not making any movements beyond that. Then the second turn could start as if it were the first, but all of the popups would have been answered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast