Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spanish units

Default Re: Spanish units

well, richest? maybe, but it's the same king. ofcourse, they had a different government type, that could explain it.
    for sure, the units of the kingdom of aragon (Valencia, Catalunya, Aragon, Mallorca) and navarre (Basque country, navarra) dind't use matchlocks anymore.for the rest, i will contact a reenactor friend from castille to check his sources.

i do believe the castillian tercios also adopted the flintlock , atleast during the 9 years war ( 1688-1697), or so says "Museo militar : historia del ejército español: armas, uniformes, sistemas de combate, instituciones, organización del mismo, desde los tiempos más remotos hasta nuestros días / Don Francisco Barado, 1889".

i have also found references in two doctoral thesis of a substantious increase of the investment in gunsmithing and shipbuilding by charles II of spain during the 9 years war, industries on decline in castille after philip IV.
    Last edited by tryadelion; July 15, 2015 at 07:48 AM.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

The nine years war was 1688-97. But when you say during that war, would it be fair to say there was probably a transition between the two during the war? I know that France was only halfway through the changeover by 1695. Also what about Spanish Milan/Naples/Flanders?
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

yes, i edited the date. damn fingers. yes, it would be fair to do so, and the same for Milan and Naples. flanders would emulate castillian & catalonian tercios as both were sent there as reinforcements, at a rate of 2.000-5.000 new soldiers each year of the war.

i personally believe the reason of the decay of the spanish empire are the two defaults of phillip IV and charles II being an inbred, idiot ( he wasn't very intelligent) and ill king with little strategical or military experience.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tryadelion View Post
    There is no difference between 1 and 2, both are musketeers of the city regiment. The blue yellow is the early 1700 one, a philipist unit, to be concrete. The blue-red is an early uniform of the city regiment, around 1660. Do a quick search on Ripoll weapondmiths, in spain we invented the true flintlock, the miquelet lock, concretely in ripoll. Most ( for not saying all) regular units used flintlock by 1690, and so did almost every militia / regional unit of catalonia amd basque country, home of the main weapon factotiesm
    Do you know when the switch from the blue-red to blue yellow happened? Is it possible that by the time of the War of the Grand Alliance that it had already happened?
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

by the information i have, it was part of the 1704 philip V reforms that removed completely the pikemen and changed the tercios into "french regiments", following the french order of battle.

many tercios were renamed, changed and combined.

This seems like a nice mod, is there anything basic I can help with.

(Historic Info/Best, Testing/Good, Pack File Modding/Poor, Anything else is beyond my experience)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12